Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Time for a new lawnmower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Time for a new lawnmower?
Original Message   Apr 1, 2011 12:41 pm
I purchased my lawnmower  May 12 , 1998 , so it is about 13 years old. It is a Craftsman 944.368300  s/n 010 998m 000270 It is powered by a Tecumseh VLV066  6.75 horsepower engine             No, I am not taking any pictures of the old thing.

21 inch cut,  , front wheel drive, has no throttle. starts wide open. I have had no problems with this mower  except maintenance required replacing the (always spinning ) front wheels twice. They are around $60  each at Sears , but I got  2 for $12    on e-bay ,twice. I have changed the oil every year, use the Craftsman 30 oil. and have changed the sparkplug  a few times.

I have been looking at some the new offerings and would like to  have an opinion on front or rear wheel drive. I've never used a rwd .

I looked at a Troy built at Can Tire yesterday.  It is rwd , has large rear  wheels, a Honda 160 cc engine,  Electric start with a battery on board, all 4 wheels can be adjusted for cutting height with  one control lever.   I think it is 21 inch , has left and right control levers to adjust ground speed.     It is priced at $599.99    I will get them  to move it down from the rack , the next time that I am in the store, so I can get a better look at it.     Sears are just getting in their new models  so will look at them soon.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2011 by royster

Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Outline
borat

Re: Time for a new lawnmower?
Reply #1   Apr 1, 2011 1:47 pm
Why spend that kind of money for a new machine when many decent used mowers are available on Kijiji? 

You can get a very good mower for 1/4 the price of new.  RWD is the way to go. 

I have an expensive 2 cycle Echo lawn mower with rear wheel drive, bagger, controlled throttle.  Great mower but heavy for trimming around the yard.  That mower cost $700.00 twenty years ago.  It has been relegated as my "stand by" mower now.   Last year, I bought a very well used 1973 Lawn Boy mower with rear wheel drive, magnesium deck and very healthy two cycle engine.   It's as light as a feather and as strong as the Echo.  It starts on first or second pull every time.  That is now my mower of choice.  I bought it on Kijiji for ......... wait for it......... $75.00!!.    The guy I bought it off of has two more just like it but disassembled.  I'll be picking them up in a few weeks to keep for parts.   Not likely that I'll be needing them anytime soon.  Those old Lawn Boys are some of the best lawn mowers ever built.
royster

Reply #2   Apr 1, 2011 2:10 pm
Thanks for that information,   I will check with kijiji  and start looking for a used model.

aa335

Reply #3   Apr 1, 2011 2:27 pm
Borat,

I've been watching for a older Lawnboy 2 stroke mower.  I've read that certain engines can be finicky running right without surging.  I'm not too familiar with carburetor and jet settings.  What should I be looking for when looking at those Lawnboys?

I'm currently using a Toro Super Recycler, a very good mulching mower.  However, it is pathetic at bagging, even when equipped with a "bagging" blade.  The blade has minimal lift.  The deck is optimized for mulching so I'm not going to attempt to make a good bagging mower out of it.

I normally mulch, but occasionally would like to bag.  So I'm looking for a second mower and wonder if the Lawnboy is good at bagging.

The other mower I've been considering is the Snapper Hi-Vac.  It's built like a tank, so to speak, and bags really well.  And because its like a tank, it's too heavy for trimming.  I have a lot of curved landscape, lots of turns, so lightweight and maneuverability is paramount.
borat

Reply #4   Apr 1, 2011 4:44 pm
I really can't tell you much about Lawn Boy bagging ability.  I owned one a while back with a bag attachment but never used it.  It was the mower that my neighbour left down at the curb for garbage which I brought back to life and gave away to my old neighbour at camp.   He never used the bagger either.   It didn't look too effective and the bag hung out to the side and rear of the mower.  Clumsy looking to say the least.    

As far as the carburetor issues, that's pretty much with the more modern LB  and Toro mowers as well as some of the R-tek engines  used by Toro.  The old LB machines (I'm guessing) but say from the mid 80s and earlier didn't have the lean condition carb problems that I'm aware of.  It's the lean condition that causes the surging.  Too small of a pilot jet.  The old style LB engines are fantastic.  I pulled the one I got last year apart to inspect it and was very impressed with it, for a 1973 mower.   Electronic ignition and reed valves if you can imagine!!!  That was leading edge technology back then.   And to top it off, it's self propelled!   By the visual appearance of the mower, I'm sure it has a great deal of time on it.   Nonetheless,  the engine had factory spec compression, starts well and runs strong.  Incredible for it's age.

If you do some searching, you'll find quite a bit of info on the carburetor surging issue.    

I use the LB to trim the tight spots and generally use a riding mower to cut the open areas.    If I want to bag the grass, I do the trimming first then pick up the clippings with the rider.  However, I never bag anymore.  I mulch everything. 

I'd be willing to bet that if you had LB with  a well swept blade, it would create sufficient lift for bagging.  Maybe there are others who can give you more info on that. 

I will say this, that old LB that I bought last year is a delight to use compared to the heavy Echo.  The echo weighs close to 80 lbs.  I bet the LB is around 30 lbs.   Much easier to pull back and drag around. 
royster

Reply #5   Apr 1, 2011 8:25 pm
borat wrote:
Why spend that kind of money for a new machine when many decent used mowers are available on Kijiji? 

You can get a very good mower for 1/4 the price of new.  RWD is the way to go. 

I have an expensive 2 cycle Echo lawn mower with rear wheel drive, bagger, controlled throttle.  Great mower but heavy for trimming around the yard.  That mower cost $700.00 twenty years ago.  It has been relegated as my "stand by" mower now.   Last year, I bought a very well used 1973 Lawn Boy mower with rear wheel drive, magnesium deck and very healthy two cycle engine.   It's as light as a feather and as strong as the Echo.  It starts on first or second pull every time.  That is now my mower of choice.  I bought it on Kijiji for ......... wait for it......... $75.00!!.    The guy I bought it off of has two more just like it but disassembled.  I'll be picking them up in a few weeks to keep for parts.   Not likely that I'll be needing them anytime soon.  Those old Lawn Boys are some of the best lawn mowers ever built.

What are the advantages of rear wheel drive on a lawn mower

borat

Reply #6   Apr 1, 2011 8:33 pm
The bag is usually on the rear of the mower.  The weight of the grass in the bag enhances traction of the rear wheels where it would reduce traction on front wheel drives.

By the way, here's a link for two beautiful Lawn Boy mowers in  Shediac New Brunswick.   The one on the right look like the one I have but without self propulsion.   For $50.00 each, I'd scoop them both up!!

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-lawn-mower-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ270474203
This message was modified Apr 1, 2011 by a moderator
MN_Runner

Reply #7   Apr 1, 2011 9:35 pm
I have a feeling "royster" has a sophisticated taste and may not like those suggested by borat (who loves to collect vintage OPEs).  But by looking at royster's taste for a fine snowblower, he just may go for a hydrostatic lawnmower. I like buying new OPEs since I enjoy becoming intimate with them.  May I suggest a red hydrostatic lawnmower to match your red snowblower. 
borat

Reply #8   Apr 1, 2011 10:18 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
I have a feeling "royster" has a sophisticated taste and may not like those suggested by borat (who loves to collect vintage OPEs).  But by looking at royster's taste for a fine snowblower, he just may go for a hydrostatic lawnmower. I like buying new OPEs since I enjoy becoming intimate with them.  May I suggest a red hydrostatic lawnmower to match your red snowblower. 

Call them vintage if you like.  Regardless, they're still among the best lawn mowers made.   I have another relatively modern self propelled mower that I have retired since acquiring the old Lawn Boy.   Don't be fooled by the appearance.  A little cleaning and a fresh coat of green paint will appease the cosmetically inclined.   Thereafter, the proud owner will have one fine mower! 
royster

Reply #9   Apr 2, 2011 8:38 am
MN_Runner wrote:

Thanks,   It would be  best that I do not use the " h" word for a while ! ! !
This message was modified Apr 2, 2011 by royster

aa335

Reply #10   Apr 2, 2011 10:02 am
Some of the best mowers that i know of are the vintage ones from the 1980's.  They were cast aluminum or magnesium decks with solid mechanical.  The Honda Master HR14 and the John Deere 14SB, 14PZ were my favorites.  The engines were very tolerant of abuse and not as sensitive to bad fuel as today's "Made for California" machines.  I like that they were lightweight, compact, felt solid, and very maneuverable.  My old time favorite was the Deere 14PZ mower, simple push mower with very little to break.  It was fairly light so self propelled was not necessary.  In fact, I prefer non self propelled mower for trimming.

I haven't used Lawnboy 2 stroke mowers, but there's a lot of good things said about them.  Vintage or not, good solid design is timeless.  Too bad Lawnboy name of recent has eroded due to corporate take overs and EPA pressures.  Although I like Toro products overall, I don't much care for the Toro clones Lawnboy machines.  They were supposed to the Toro's premiere line but that didn't last.

If a person is an OPE fanatic, it's more appealing to pick up a vintage mower and bring it back to life than to buy the disposable paper thin stamped deck variety of modern budget mowers, they're functional machines without soul.  Because of this, its very easy for owners to ditch them when they start behaving badly.
This message was modified Apr 2, 2011 by aa335
aa335

Reply #11   Apr 2, 2011 10:04 am
royster wrote:
Thanks,   It would be  best that I do not use the " h" word for a while ! ! !

Amen.
friiy

Reply #12   Apr 2, 2011 5:23 pm
The old Lawnboy engines were great,  Since Toro bought them they have been getting farther away from their roots...  

In the 90"s Lawnboy had a nice 2 stoke commercial with a 5 1/2 hp 2 cycle motor. 

I was always liked of the ones that had the Rear bagger kit on them that went through the deck, and the muffler that exited by the blade.  (every once and awhile someones muffler would get loose and get hit by the blade or catch dry grass on fire)

Also Lawnboy supplied a dive/ snorkle company with engines for a floating air compressor  for snorkling..

Hey Borat-  does yours have the plastic engine shroud or the stamped steel? 

Friiy

borat

Reply #13   Apr 2, 2011 9:34 pm
It's got the white plastic cover. 

I've got two more Lawn Boy mowers to pick up yet.  Not sure of the condition but they looked not too bad.  Won't know for sure until I get them home.   
royster

Reply #14   Apr 3, 2011 11:41 am
I am sure that these vintage lawn mowers are interesting and there were  many good lawnmowers  among them, but I am in the market for a new self propelled walk behind lawnmower

And  I am looking for recommendations, if possible.

Is rear wheel drive better? I have only had fwd .

Shryp

Reply #15   Apr 3, 2011 11:55 am
I just have a cheap Craftsman built by AYP.  I will agree with what was said above about a full bag causing the FWD tires to lose traction.  I have never used RWD either and I normally mulch so it doesn't bother me too much.  One of those ones with the swivel casters in the front might be nice though.
borat

Reply #16   Apr 3, 2011 12:29 pm
"Is rear wheel drive better? I have only had fwd "

Could have sworn that I already answered that............

aa335

Reply #17   Apr 3, 2011 12:59 pm
royster wrote:
I am sure that these vintage lawn mowers are interesting and there were  many good lawnmowers  among them, but I am in the market for a new self propelled walk behind lawnmower

And  I am looking for recommendations, if possible.

Is rear wheel drive better? I have only had fwd .

SInce you didn't mention price range and more specific requirements, people have thrown out a few suggestions.   Its good to have requirements so you don't get all over the rainbow recommendations.  You can spend anywhere from $150 to $1500 on a 21" push mower.  Anywhere from a disposable walmart special to a commercial grade mower.

I'll throw in my recommendation based on my own experience. 

The current model Toro Super Recycler Model 20092.  This is rear wheel drive, personal pace self propelled, with cast aluminum deck.  No frills, no brake blade clutch or electric start.  I have this one.

It's a good mulcher, easy to change speeds, nice balance and easy to steer.  The engine is as simple as they get, no choke, no throttle control, just a primer bulb.  It has a simple B&S L head engine.  Reliable and cheap, although not as quiet and fuel efficient as a more expensive OHV engine.

Rear wheel drive absolute must if you ever bag.  As the bag gets heavier, front wheel gets lighter and lose traction, especially going uphill.  If you make a lot of 180 degrees turns, FWD might be more desirable, tipping up and turn without changing speed or disengaging the drive.  Its easier to pivot around a non driven wheel. 
This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #18   Apr 3, 2011 1:05 pm
royster,

If you are going to buy one with a Honda engine, I would just buy a new Honda lawnmower.  You can get a HRX 190CC (around $599) and you will like the cut and quietness.  I had a HRR 160CC for 10 years and it was slightly underpowered.  Not sure if FWD is better than RWD or vice a versa.  I have had no issue with RWD.  If you are willing to pay $699, you can get a hydrostatic HRX.  HRX cuts really well (either mulch or bag) - I am sure others will cut well. 

royster

Reply #19   Apr 3, 2011 6:23 pm
Thank you for your suggestions,   I am  looking for one in the $600 range. 
This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by royster

FrankMA

Reply #20   Apr 4, 2011 6:42 am
MN_Runner wrote:
royster,

If you are going to buy one with a Honda engine, I would just buy a new Honda lawnmower.  You can get a HRX 190CC (around $599) and you will like the cut and quietness.  I had a HRR 160CC for 10 years and it was slightly underpowered.  Not sure if FWD is better than RWD or vice a versa.  I have had no issue with RWD.  If you are willing to pay $699, you can get a hydrostatic HRX.  HRX cuts really well (either mulch or bag) - I am sure others will cut well. 

Ixsnay on the hydrostatic drive!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #21   Apr 4, 2011 10:08 am
FrankMA wrote:
Ixsnay on the hydrostatic drive!

Shields up! 
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #22   Apr 4, 2011 10:34 am
I have owned and used both front and rear drive. My opinion is rear. Would never use front again. I have owned and used Craftsman, Toro, Ariens ,Older Snapper, Older Lawnboy, and Honda. Liked the Snapper and Lawnboys. Love my Honda masters series. I own both 3spd and Hydrostatic and use my Hydro 99.9% of the time.

royster

Reply #23   Apr 4, 2011 1:40 pm
There is that "H" word again.

aa335

Reply #24   Apr 4, 2011 1:53 pm
royster wrote:
There is that "H" word again.

Let's call it the turbo encabulator!
snowmachine

Reply #25   Apr 9, 2011 12:50 pm
I do like my Honda HRX217HMA. I hope it will be a lifetime mower for me and the NeXite deck truly lasts that long as well.
Underdog

Reply #26   Apr 9, 2011 8:20 pm
I would not be too quick to pass on the idea of buying  a used mower.  There are so many people that opt to have their lawn mowed commercially or end up with a tractor and don't want to take up space in the garage for the lawnmower.

These "rarely used mowers" show up on Craigslist.  I have seen lightly used HRX217HMA Hondas (yes, I have a bias for that hydro) in the $270 to $300 range. That is still a lot of money for a used mower.  But I my opinion you get your money's worth. I picked up the early version HRX216 for $100 and the carb needed flushed out but the hydro runs like a top.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2011 by Underdog

Glove

Re: Time for a new lawnmower?,Snapper vs Honda
Reply #27   Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm
HRX is a nice mower but handling is lousy due to the handle length. I have a Snapper High Vac in my shed that gave me nothing but issues, 2nd one in 10 years so I opted for the Honda.

Good;

Starts 10X better than the Snapper but it is new..

Cut's better

Quieter

Bad;

Bag on Snapper is easier to handle, empty,  but chute design clogs. Honda doesnt catch all grass in bag. (even)

Snapper much easier to handle, go around objects, etc..much lighter..

Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42