Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Original Message   Feb 21, 2011 12:24 am
Today I took my Bissell deep cleaner (the commercial grade "BigGreen" Rug Doctor killer) to my parents house to do some carpet cleaning as a favor. I get there, use their Dyson DC14 to vacuum everything first, then went about carpet cleaning. Throughout the process, I noticed clumps of cat hair and carpet fibers trailing behind the Bissell on the forward passes. This led me to believe that the huge brushbar on the Bissell big green was picking up stuff the Dyson was leaving behind. Since the Dyson is seven years old at this point, do you think that it is in dire need of a brush roll replacement, belt replacement, or both? In the case of having the belt replaced along with the brushroll, I'm assuming that my parents would have to take it to a repair center since they do not have the special tools for taking the clutch apart and slipping the belt in and out. How much would such a replacement job with parts and labor generally run for? Thanks, Keith
This message was modified Feb 21, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 50 - 59 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Reply #50   Mar 5, 2011 7:31 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Oreck for 7  years and a $70 to maintain happy with filthy carpet.

Dyson for 7 years with $100 cost and clean carpet.   PRICELESS.

I see you flunked math. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #51   Mar 5, 2011 8:16 am
CarmineD wrote:
I see you flunked math. 

Carmine D.

I was simply being generous with you Carmine.  The 7 year maintenance cost on your Oreck is $91 vs $100 on the Dyson.  Luxury does cost a little more.  However it is PRICELESS.
CarmineD

Reply #52   Mar 5, 2011 8:21 am
Hello VacmanuK:

Let me switch gears, no pun intended.  One of the clothes driers my wife and I had in one of our homes was a new SEARS Kenmore.  It was a no frills model that cost $250 in the 70's.  After 5 years, it stopped drying clothes.  I did some detective work and determined that it was the heating element.  My wife called and a repairmen from SEARS/independent appliance tech both wanted $100 for the in-home repair.  I bought the element for $19 OTC from a local parts store and installed myself.  A few more years later, the belt that drove the drum broke.  Tub wouldn't spin.  Again repairmen wanted $100 to fix ion the home.  I bought the belt for $8 and installed myself.  Over the years, the element continued to fail.  Poor design and placement.  Next time it was $39 to buy OTC.  Next time $59.  After 22 years, the element was a special order part andf the local appliance parts store was out of business.  Cost was over $100 to buy.  I chucked it, as you say, and replaced with a new drier for $400.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #53   Mar 5, 2011 8:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello VacmanuK:

Let me switch gears, no pun intended.  One of the clothes driers my wife and I had in one of our homes was a new SEARS Kenmore.  It was a no frills model that cost $250 in the 70's.  After 5 years, it stopped drying clothes.  I did some detective work and determined that it was the heating element.  My wife called and a repairmen from SEARS/independent appliance tech both wanted $100 for the in-home repair.  I bought the element for $19 OTC from a local parts store and installed myself.  A few more years later, the belt that drove the drum broke.  Tub wouldn't spin.  Again repairmen wanted $100 to fix ion the home.  I bought the belt for $8 and installed myself.  Over the years, the element continued to fail.  Poor design and placement.  Next time it was $39 to buy OTC.  Next time $59.  After 22 years, the element was a special order part andf the local appliance parts store was out of business.  Cost was over $100 to buy.  I chucked it, as you say, and replaced with a new drier for $400.

Carmine D.

You could have bought a nylon clothes line for around $10 and it would likely last a life time.  You could also use it for the weather report.
CarmineD

Reply #54   Mar 5, 2011 8:32 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I was simply being generous with you Carmine.  The 7 year maintenance cost on your Oreck is $91 vs $100 on the Dyson.  Luxury does cost a little more.  However it is PRICELESS.

And I was being gracious with you HARDSELL when I said you just flunked math!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #55   Mar 5, 2011 8:34 am
HARDSELL wrote:
You could have bought a nylon clothes line for around $10 and it would likely last a life time.  You could also use it for the weather report.

See there you go again making assumptions.  Local county and HOA ordinances prohibited clothes lines.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #56   Mar 5, 2011 8:42 am
CarmineD wrote:
See there you go again making assumptions.  Local county and HOA ordinances prohibited clothes lines.

Carmine D.

Understandable.  Who would want to see Carmine's long handles blowing in the wind?
CarmineD

Reply #57   Mar 5, 2011 8:45 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Vacmanuk: I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about Root Cyclone vs. Dual Cyclone. From my experience from using (and owning) machines that featured Dual and Root Cyclone, I can't really surmise that Root Cyclone is significantly better than Dual Cyclone. First off, the evidence is on the pre-filter: compare the filter from a DC25 with that from a competitors machine that has a dual, for instance, the Electrolux Nimble. The content of dust on the filters are no more different from each other; if anything, the Nimble's filter had less dust on it.

In addition to filtration effectiveness, I recall at the time when Dyson debuted Root 8 Cyclone on the DC07 back in 2001 or so, they boasted more powerful suction as a benefit with the new system....however, we have seen airwatt ratings drop with each successive model until recently: DC07=270 AW, DC14=245 AW, DC15=220 AW, DC17=220 AW, DC18=200 AW, DC25=220 AW, DC28=245 AW, DC33=240 AW (Basically DC14 redux).

Dyson also increased the retail prices of the successor root vacuums AND increased the filter maintenance times from 6-9 months on the dual to 2-3 months on the root.  What a pain and bother for users.  Almost as bad as Rainbows but not quite.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #58   Mar 5, 2011 8:53 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Understandable.  Who would want to see Carmine's long handles blowing in the wind?

Me for one HARDSELL.  Nothing like the look, smell and feel of late fall/early winter air dried long johns.

Carmine D.

hooverman

Reply #59   Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm
Get a Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 or a Hoover Windtunnel or a TriStar; they all outclean Dyson!  Or better yet, a Sanitaire SC888 or Kirby.
Replies: 50 - 59 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42