Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Original Message   Feb 21, 2011 12:24 am
Today I took my Bissell deep cleaner (the commercial grade "BigGreen" Rug Doctor killer) to my parents house to do some carpet cleaning as a favor. I get there, use their Dyson DC14 to vacuum everything first, then went about carpet cleaning. Throughout the process, I noticed clumps of cat hair and carpet fibers trailing behind the Bissell on the forward passes. This led me to believe that the huge brushbar on the Bissell big green was picking up stuff the Dyson was leaving behind. Since the Dyson is seven years old at this point, do you think that it is in dire need of a brush roll replacement, belt replacement, or both? In the case of having the belt replaced along with the brushroll, I'm assuming that my parents would have to take it to a repair center since they do not have the special tools for taking the clutch apart and slipping the belt in and out. How much would such a replacement job with parts and labor generally run for? Thanks, Keith
This message was modified Feb 21, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 40 - 49 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Reply #40   Mar 3, 2011 7:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Not exactly but very close.  Dyson has a certain brand loyalty in the UK due to Sir James.  No such here.  There are certainly more vacuum options now both bagged and bagless as good if not better than dyson performance and longevity at dyson prices AND even less.  LG, Electrolux, Shark just to mention a few.  That was not the case when dyson rolled out in April 2002 in the USA.  Dyson had a lock on the bagless market in the USA.  Not so any more.  American vacuum consumers are use to belt and brush replacements for their vacuums after 5 years at reasonable costs.  When they get a bid from dyson for the same repair, or take into the local dyson authorized repair store and hear $100 or more for the fix, they are highly unlikely to spend the amount for the repair, especially now when they have bagged/bagless options.

Carmine D.

Not quite. Just because there's a few members on here to suggest that Dyson are the best, it isn't the case that Dyson are the biggest sellers in the UK, nor is there any "loyalty" due to Dyson shifting his manufacturer base to Asia. UK buyers don't care what the Dyson UK centre is regardless of whether its R&D or outsourcing. Miele have a UK base and they're far more reliable. Infact, when taking into account the reliability factors, even if there are more Dysons taken into account by Which? Consumers, both SEBO and MIELE (and even Oreck, as small as they are in the UK with less than new machines you have in the States, prove that other brands have better reliability. Buyers are getting into the statistics and making better choices, realising that "not all bags clog the suction". Infact, Vax has been, and for some time the best "newcomer" to the sales value alone, pushing Dyson out of the high street chain in many shop sellers, with only "Comet," one of few franchises who took on Dyson to sell to the public, remaining true to Dyson and this day where their ranges still sell from.
CarmineD

Reply #41   Mar 4, 2011 7:31 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Not quite. Just because there's a few members on here to suggest that Dyson are the best, it isn't the case that Dyson are the biggest sellers in the UK, nor is there any "loyalty" due to Dyson shifting his manufacturer base to Asia. UK buyers don't care what the Dyson UK centre is regardless of whether its R&D or outsourcing. Miele have a UK base and they're far more reliable. Infact, when taking into account the reliability factors, even if there are more Dysons taken into account by Which? Consumers, both SEBO and MIELE (and even Oreck, as small as they are in the UK with less than new machines you have in the States, prove that other brands have better reliability.realising that  Buyers are getting into the statistics and making better choices, and "not all bags clog the suction". Infact, Vax has been, and for some time the best "newcomer" to the sales value alone, pushing Dyson out of the high street chain in many shop sellers, with only "Comet," one of few franchises who took on Dyson to sell to the public, remaining true to Dyson and this day where their ranges still sell from.

Very interesting Vacmanuk.  Another factor that holds sway here in the USA WRT dyson repairs [in fact any/all repairs] are the vacuum repair store owner/operators.  Oftentimes customers confronted with a steep repair charge and an older vacuum will ask the store owner/operators: Is the vacuum worth fixing?  I suspect I know the answer in 4 out of 5 cases with older dysons.  I recall a dyson owner who posted here who purchased a new dyson from a big box store that failed after several months.  Dyson referred dyson owner to a local authorized dyson dealer for a repair under warranty.  When the customer got their with his defected dyson, he noticed the vacuum store sold MIELE, SEBO, RICCAR/Simplicity and other vacuum brands but no dysons.  I can only imagine what the conversation went like between the vacuum store owner and the dyson owner. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #42   Mar 4, 2011 9:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
Very interesting Vacmanuk.  Another factor that holds sway here in the USA WRT dyson repairs [in fact any/all repairs] are the vacuum repair store owner/operators.  Oftentimes customers confronted with a steep repair charge and an older vacuum will ask the store owner/operators: Is the vacuum worth fixing?  I suspect I know the answer in 4 out of 5 cases with older dysons.  I recall a dyson owner who posted here who purchased a new dyson from a big box store that failed after several months.  Dyson referred dyson owner to a local authorized dyson dealer for a repair under warranty.  When the customer got their with his defected dyson, he noticed the vacuum store sold MIELE, SEBO, RICCAR/Simplicity and other vacuum brands but no dysons.  I can only imagine what the conversation went like between the vacuum store owner and the dyson owner. 

Carmine D.

Of course I guess it all depends on the amount of charges that franchises/wherever the owner purchased the appliance from are also heaping on the charge and here, we can insert ideas of independent repairers against franchise ones. I recall having constant problems with Comet staff who wouldn't drop down a £70 charge for a replacement dish for a Sharp microwave I once owned. The oven had just passed the warranty and the company just wouldn't budge on the price. In the end I contacted an independent supplier who could get the same part at far less cost. It's the independents like this who sometimes sway buyers to go with another franchise. The warranty systems they have in the UK under franchise is called "Domestic and General," and has an average charge for an extended guarantee which often runs into problems by owners, especially when the franchise haven't looked at the existing guarantee that covers the machine the buyer has paid for, often overlooking certain conditions set by the brand warranty. Sometimes it feels like a token gesture but when buyers don't research alternatives, they then get ripped off by the franchise repair costs and could have got a cheaper deal by going independent.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2011 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #43   Mar 4, 2011 1:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Of course I guess it all depends on the amount of charges that franchises/wherever the owner purchased the appliance from are also heaping on the charge and here, we can insert ideas of independent repairers against franchise ones. I recall having constant problems with Comet staff who wouldn't drop down a £70 charge for a replacement dish for a Sharp microwave I once owned. The oven had just passed the warranty and the company just wouldn't budge on the price. In the end I contacted an independent supplier who could get the same part at far less cost. It's the independents like this who sometimes sway buyers to go with another franchise. The warranty systems they have in the UK under franchise is called "Domestic and General," and has an average charge for an extended guarantee which often runs into problems by owners, especially when the franchise haven't looked at the existing guarantee that covers the machine the buyer has paid for, often overlooking certain conditions set by the brand warranty. Sometimes it feels like a token gesture but when buyers don't research alternatives, they then get ripped off by the franchise repair costs and could have got a cheaper deal by going independent.

BEST BUY stores have been the largest retail seller of dyson vacuums in the USA.  This chain launched dysons in 2002.  However, the Best Buy stores have taken in alot of the latest bagged and bagless competitors to dyson with much sales success, I'm told.  In large part because the high prices of dysons don't sell in the current market and economy.  I'm told BEST BUY's best yearly sales of dysons was 2006 and it's been down hill dyson-wise since.  Very similar to your experiences in the UK.  Alot more less expensive vacuum options for consumers.  Plus, BEST BUY stores are struggling financially and recently losing sales to its competitors. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #44   Mar 4, 2011 1:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Maybe this will asist Vacmanuk.

Let's take the 3 brands and models I indicated in my posts:  LG kompressor.  Electrolux Nimble.  Shark Navigator.  And dyson's DC07 which is discontinued.  Replaced now with DC33.  Approximate MSRP: LG Luv 200 is $300.  Electrolux is $300. Shark Navigator is $180.  DC33 is $400.  usual retail about $280 [LG 200]; Nimble still $300 but I expect will sell with at least 10 percent discounts; Shark Nav $150; DC33 sells for $319.  Warranty.  LG, 6 years. Nimble 5 years. Shark 7 years. Dyson 5 years.  All bagless.  LG offers light, cordwinder, compression technology reduces bin dumps by 1/3.  Electrolux Nimble offers maneuverabilty [like higher priced dyson ball models]. Shark allows washing of cyclones.  and maneurability.  Dyson cyclones require cleaning at $30-$50 per service.  DC33 has infamous clutch.  The comparative other models do not.  So confronted with a fix of $100 for a belt/brush on a dyson DC07 considering just the other 3 available options I listed, what would a customer do?  Add to this now, that 1/3 of bagless users [according to a Consumer Reports survey] now say it is a dirty job to dump the dirt bin?  Spend $100 plus on repair, or buy new bagless with 5-6-7 year warranty and easier and less expensive brush/belt replacement than clutched dyson?  Freedom of choice.  look at other options: Less expensive HOOVER/TTI bagged/bagless.  EUREKA, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL, all of which are $100 or less with 2 plus years of warranty. 

Or shop at a vacuum store and buy new MIELE, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY,ORECK, SEARS, Panosonic and on and on at $300 plus rather than $100 repair for belt/brush on a 5 year or older dyson? 

Carmine D.

This doesn't assist me in a lot of ways and here's why:

1. It isn't fair to judge an older model using the more modern versions - more modern versions that have more or increased features will sway buyers from their favourite model - or the model which has stood the test of time. 7 years in my opinion for a Dyson upright is a long time. Others may disagree.
  2. If you have a perfectly working Oreck upright Carmine, that needs something comparatively priced in parts cost and you've owned it for a long time - would you go out and buy the latest Oreck or stick with the old? As someone famous said "if it aint broke, dont fix it.' I think it applies the other way around too - especially if a vacuum cleaner has outlasted expectations or has gone through years of "abuse" due to the amount of traffic dirt it has picked up so far.
  3. Even if the list of rivals you have listed is endlessly cheaper to buy, there are other Dyson models out there which are, in my opinion are better. These rivals don't have the increased cyclone wear or filters that can be left without cleaning out. The Root Cyclones are far better than the Dual Cyclone method - which companies are now catching up on. 
  4. You have changed the subject around to a subjective opinion based on alternatives to replacing the Dyson DC07. The original member posted the query on whether it was worth spending that much money on repair. Yet, unless it has actually undergone the repair and continues to bust up after the repair cost has been paid for, then obviously the model should be replaced. If however it gives perfect performance, then I don't think spending $100 is really that much to complain about. Try $162 to $180 - because that's how much it cost US in the U.K on average to get a vacuum cleaner like the Dyson DC07 repaired.

CarmineD

Reply #45   Mar 4, 2011 2:20 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

1. It isn't fair to judge an older model using the more modern versions - more modern versions that have more or increased features will sway buyers from their favourite model - or the model which has stood the test of time. 7 years in my opinion for a Dyson upright is a long time. Others may disagree.
  2. If you have a perfectly working Oreck upright Carmine, that needs something comparatively priced in parts cost and you've owned it for a long time - would you go out and buy the latest Oreck or stick with the old? As someone famous said "if it aint broke, dont fix it.' I think it applies the other way around too - especially if a vacuum cleaner has outlasted expectations or has gone through years of "abuse" due to the amount of traffic dirt it has picked up so far.
  3. Even if the list of rivals you have listed is endlessly cheaper to buy, there are other Dyson models out there which are, in my opinion are better. These rivals don't have the increased cyclone wear or filters that can be left without cleaning out. The Root Cyclones are far better than the Dual Cyclone method - which companies are now catching up on. 
  4. You have changed the subject around to a subjective opinion based on alternatives to replacing the Dyson DC07. The original member posted the query on whether it was worth spending that much money on repair. Yet, unless it has actually undergone the repair and continues to bust up after the repair cost has been paid for, then obviously the model should be replaced. If however it gives perfect performance, then I don't think spending $100 is really that much to complain about. Try $162 to $180 - because that's how much it cost US in the U.K on average to get a vacuum cleaner like the Dyson DC07 repaired.

The issue Vacmanuk for the dyson DC07 owner user is this: Is a belt and brush replacement on a 7 year old DC07 worth $100 repair.  Options like investing the $100 dyson repair cost into a new vacuum dyson or other with a 5-6-7 year product warranty has to factor into the decision making process.  No warranty with the dyson repair.

WRT my 4 year old ORECK XL Classic [this month makes 4 years] belts and bags have been the only expense.  Cost me $150 new, belts are $2 each and are do-it-yourself.  I change every 5-6 months.  Takes less than a minute.  Bags are $1.50 each.  I change every 2 months.  Brush roll is still like brand new.  At this rate, I'll have it 10 years before it may need replacement and it costs now $30 and it's a do-it-yourself repair.   Not the same as a dyson DC 07 repair on a 7 year old dyson for $100. 

Carmine D.

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #46   Mar 4, 2011 2:22 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Vacmanuk: I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about Root Cyclone vs. Dual Cyclone. From my experience from using (and owning) machines that featured Dual and Root Cyclone, I can't really surmise that Root Cyclone is significantly better than Dual Cyclone. First off, the evidence is on the pre-filter: compare the filter from a DC25 with that from a competitors machine that has a dual, for instance, the Electrolux Nimble. The content of dust on the filters are no more different from each other; if anything, the Nimble's filter had less dust on it.

In addition to filtration effectiveness, I recall at the time when Dyson debuted Root 8 Cyclone on the DC07 back in 2001 or so, they boasted more powerful suction as a benefit with the new system....however, we have seen airwatt ratings drop with each successive model until recently: DC07=270 AW, DC14=245 AW, DC15=220 AW, DC17=220 AW, DC18=200 AW, DC25=220 AW, DC28=245 AW, DC33=240 AW (Basically DC14 redux).
This message was modified Mar 4, 2011 by iMacDaddy
vacmanuk

Reply #47   Mar 4, 2011 8:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The issue Vacmanuk for the dyson DC07 owner user is this: Is a belt and brush replacement on a 7 year old DC07 worth $100 repair.  Options like investing the $100 dyson repair cost into a new vacuum dyson or other with a 5-6-7 year product warranty has to factor into the decision making process.  No warranty with the dyson repair.

WRT my 4 year old ORECK XL Classic [this month makes 4 years] belts and bags have been the only expense.  Cost me $150 new, belts are $2 each and are do-it-yourself.  I change every 5-6 months.  Takes less than a minute.  Bags are $1.50 each.  I change every 2 months.  Brush roll is still like brand new.  At this rate, I'll have it 10 years before it may need replacement and it costs now $30 and it's a do-it-yourself repair.   Not the same as a dyson DC 07 repair on a 7 year old dyson for $100. 

Carmine D.

IMHO if its a base DC07, then its not worth it- but this is a brush control model - so it is worth the $100. When I come to think about it Carmine, at one point I spent around $150  equivalent on a new SEBO plug channel on the back of my Dart commercial upright. It rendered the electric floor brush useless and needed the repair. SEBO don't honour 5 year warranties with their commercial uprights because they get more wear and tear. Not worth chucking out though based on its general reliability, has lasted 6 years and top price brand new is $406-82 Are you suggesting then that I should have chucked out my old model and bought a new SEBO?
HARDSELL

Reply #48   Mar 4, 2011 8:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Oreck for 7  years and a $70 to maintain happy with filthy carpet.

Dyson for 7 years with $100 cost and clean carpet.   PRICELESS.
CarmineD

Reply #49   Mar 5, 2011 7:23 am
vacmanuk wrote:
IMHO if its a base DC07, then its not worth it- but this is a brush control model - so it is worth the $100. When I come to think about it Carmine, at one point I spent around $150  equivalent on a new SEBO plug channel on the back of my Dart commercial upright. It rendered the electric floor brush useless and needed the repair. SEBO don't honour 5 year warranties with their commercial uprights because they get more wear and tear. Not worth chucking out though based on its general reliability, has lasted 6 years and top price brand new is $406-82 Are you suggesting then that I should have chucked out my old model and bought a new SEBO?

In the USA Vacmanuk, the only model DC07 is [was] the clutch.  For a very short period of time, Wal*Mart sold a non-clutch model for about $320 as an exclusive model.  A brush roll and belt replacement would have been a $50 do-it-yourself job.  Worth the repair money in my opinion.  Dyson discontinued. 

In the final analysis, a repair decision is a personal and individual one. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 40 - 49 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42