Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Original Message   Feb 21, 2011 12:24 am
Today I took my Bissell deep cleaner (the commercial grade "BigGreen" Rug Doctor killer) to my parents house to do some carpet cleaning as a favor. I get there, use their Dyson DC14 to vacuum everything first, then went about carpet cleaning. Throughout the process, I noticed clumps of cat hair and carpet fibers trailing behind the Bissell on the forward passes. This led me to believe that the huge brushbar on the Bissell big green was picking up stuff the Dyson was leaving behind. Since the Dyson is seven years old at this point, do you think that it is in dire need of a brush roll replacement, belt replacement, or both? In the case of having the belt replaced along with the brushroll, I'm assuming that my parents would have to take it to a repair center since they do not have the special tools for taking the clutch apart and slipping the belt in and out. How much would such a replacement job with parts and labor generally run for? Thanks, Keith
This message was modified Feb 21, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 1 - 59 of 59View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Reply #1   Feb 21, 2011 8:29 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Today I took my Bissell deep cleaner (the commercial grade "BigGreen" Rug Doctor killer) to my parents house to do some carpet cleaning as a favor. I get there, use their Dyson DC14 to vacuum everything first, then went about carpet cleaning. Throughout the process, I noticed clumps of cat hair and carpet fibers trailing behind the Bissell on the forward passes. This led me to believe that the huge brushbar on the Bissell big green was picking up stuff the Dyson was leaving behind. Since the Dyson is seven years old at this point, do you think that it is in dire need of a brush roll replacement, belt replacement, or both? In the case of having the belt replaced along with the brushroll, I'm assuming that my parents would have to take it to a repair center since they do not have the special tools for taking the clutch apart and slipping the belt in and out. How much would such a replacement job with parts and labor generally run for? Thanks, Keith

Hello Keith:

You're a good son.  I suggest you call dyson and ask first.  I'm going to opine that the repair will cost you, from dyson, $100.  Brush [$ 30 OTC about and belt replacement $5 OTC] and shipping costs.  You can do it yourself and save money.  Cost more, possibly if you need a clutch [about $40 OTC].  After 7 years, the cyclones need cleaning/blowing out.  Not sure what dyson charges for this service.  Most vacuum repairers charge $30-$50 for this cyclone cleaning service.  It's a dirty job.  After all is said and done, whether you do it yourself or have it done professionally, you have a 7 year old dyson vacuum that still won't pick up as well as most uprights on rugs [evidenced by your experience with the BISSELL].  No doubt the reason dyson discontinued these brush rolls and DC07 and DC14 models for models with better brush rolls.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #2   Feb 22, 2011 12:30 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:

Well, I wouldn't bother calling Dyson at all - unless the thing is completely gone.. You don't need to take the motor apart but check the air inspection tubes to see if anything is clogged. The first thing to do however is to check the brush roll - there could be clogged hair beside the dust channel if hair is trapping the channel. Since it is 7 years old all it could do with is a new brush roll replacement - OR A DECENT CLEAN. Also check to see the brush roll is actually spinning by tipping the cleaner over and watching the barrel roll when it's put in the "clean floor position. If it doesn't, then you'll know its time to call in the engineers.
CarmineD

Reply #3   Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, I wouldn't bother calling Dyson at all - unless the thing is completely gone.. You don't need to take the motor apart but check the air inspection tubes to see if anything is clogged. The first thing to do however is to check the brush roll - there could be clogged hair beside the dust channel if hair is trapping the channel. Since it is 7 years old all it could do with is a new brush roll replacement - OR A DECENT CLEAN. Also check to see the brush roll is actually spinning by tipping the cleaner over and watching the barrel roll when it's put in the "clean floor position. If it doesn't, then you'll know its time to call in the engineers.

Interesting vacmanuk that you mention this.  I think dyson does a very good job walking its users through a step by step process of servicing and trouble shooting its products.  But .....nowhere in any of its web site narratives does dyson mention this dirt path channel.  No where.  An obvious stumpling block for rug suction if clogged.  Glad you mentioned this. Maybe a dyson employee/web site person will notice this exchange and add the step to its site.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #4   Feb 22, 2011 6:24 pm
This message was modified Feb 22, 2011 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Feb 22, 2011 6:28 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:

My step father has two Orecks.  Only he and my mother live in the home and they wear house slippers in the home.Last year he purchased a Rug Doctor. When he cleaned the carpet and dumped the water it looked like a pit for mud wrestlers.  Guess Carmine was correct.  Dang Orecks do not deep clean.
CarmineD

Reply #6   Feb 22, 2011 7:08 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
My step father has two Orecks.  Only he and my mother live in the home and they wear house slippers in the home.Last year he purchased a Rug Doctor. When he cleaned the carpet and dumped the water it looked like a pit for mud wrestlers.  Guess Carmine was correct.  Dang Orecks do not deep clean.

Maybe they should buy a Rainbow? 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #7   Feb 22, 2011 7:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Interesting vacmanuk that you mention this.  I think dyson does a very good job walking its users through a step by step process of servicing and trouble shooting its products.  But .....nowhere in any of its web site narratives does dyson mention this dirt path channel.  No where.  An obvious stumpling block for rug suction if clogged.  Glad you mentioned this. Maybe a dyson employee/web site person will notice this exchange and add the step to its site.

Carmine D.

Well I dont know about you guys but in the UK, Dyson's 5 year guarantee only affects a few models and I'm not sure the DC17 has that kind of warranty. Given that the vacuum is old, 7 years old infact, best to inspect it, taking time and patience rather than pay out.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Feb 22, 2011 8:01 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well I dont know about you guys but in the UK, Dyson's 5 year guarantee only affects a few models and I'm not sure the DC17 has that kind of warranty. Given that the vacuum is old, 7 years old infact, best to inspect it, taking time and patience rather than pay out.

Hello Vacmanuk:

DC17 rolled out in the US in Feb 2007.  It's still on the US dyson web site with an MSRP of $449, just the All Floors model, and comes with a 5 year limited warranty.  No longer an Absolute Animal for $549 in the USA as before.  DC17 has been discontinued in the UK, I presume, because it no longer appears on the UK dyson web site.  I've heard rumors the same fate will befall DC17 in the USA, it will be scrubbed.

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #9   Feb 24, 2011 12:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

DC17 rolled out in the US in Feb 2007.  It's still on the US dyson web site with an MSRP of $449, just the All Floors model, and comes with a 5 year limited warranty.  No longer an Absolute Animal for $549 in the USA as before.  DC17 has been discontinued in the UK, I presume, because it no longer appears on the UK dyson web site.  I've heard rumors the same fate will befall DC17 in the USA, it will be scrubbed.

Carmine D.

The DC17 was never available in the UK, it was designed for the USA market only. Like the DC28 thats not available here in the UK. DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Feb 24, 2011 12:13 pm
DC18 wrote:
The DC17 was never available in the UK, it was designed for the USA market only. Like the DC28 thats not available here in the UK. DC18

That's not the issue here - sorry - but interesting to know and also to further know that the DC17 has a bigger roller barrel suitable for Americans, thus justifying its existence.. The original response infers to how much warranty the DC17 has in the U.S since it is already 7 years old. If its different in the U.S then the Dyson should considerably be able to be repaired by the owner without necessitating the use of an official Dyson call out which may cost the owner more.
DC18

Reply #11   Feb 24, 2011 12:16 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
That's not the issue here - sorry - but interesting to know and also to further know that the DC17 has a bigger roller barrel suitable for Americans, thus justifying its existence.. The original response infers to how much warranty the DC17 has in the U.S since it is already 7 years old. If its different in the U.S then the Dyson should considerably be able to be repaired by the owner without necessitating the use of an official Dyson call out which may cost the owner more.

I know it's not the issue I was just letting CarmineD know that the DC17 was never available in the UK from what he said in his post. DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #12   Feb 24, 2011 12:22 pm
DC18 wrote:
I know it's not the issue I was just letting CarmineD know that the DC17 was never available in the UK from what he said in his post. DC18

Sorry DC18 - so, whats the Dyson warranty like in the U.S? Are the UK buyers better off?
CarmineD

Reply #13   Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Sorry DC18 - so, whats the Dyson warranty like in the U.S? Are the UK buyers better off?

Hello DC18 & Vacmanuk:

Thanks for the message exchange and clarification on DC17 in UK. 

WRT dyson warranty in USA, all models sold from April 2002 through August 15, 2006 came with 2 year limited warranty, including the handhelds.  All dyson models sold in the USA after August 15, 2006 come with 5 year limited warranty except handhelds and DC35 Slim.  Latter have 2 year limited warranty.  Remanufactured dysons sold in the USA from dyson regardless of model have 6 month limited warranty.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2011 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #14   Feb 24, 2011 2:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18 & Vacmanuk:

WRT dyson warranty in USA, all models sold from April 2002 through August 15, 2006 came with 2 year limited warranty, including the handhelds.  All dyson models sold in the USA after August 15, 2006 come with 5 year limited warranty except handhelds and DC35 Slim.  Latter have 2 year limited warranty.  Remanufactured dysons sold in the USA from dyson regardless of model have 6 month limited warranty.

Carmine D.

Thanks for that info, Carmine. So what happens if you get a seller or repairer who reconditions the vacuum, i.e. cleans it up, maybe fits a new motor and sells it at reduced prices? In the UK this comes under two types known as: manufacturer refurbishment and reconditioned - both types get a 6 month guarantee.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Feb 24, 2011 3:08 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Thanks for that info, Carmine. So what happens if you get a seller or repairer who reconditions the vacuum, i.e. cleans it up, maybe fits a new motor and sells it at reduced prices? In the UK this comes under two types known as: manufacturer refurbishment and reconditioned - both types get a 6 month guarantee.

Hello vacmanuk:

In the USA vacuum store owners and operators have discretion on setting prices and warranty periods on "used," "rebuilt," "reconditioned," and "overhauled" re-sold models.  I typically use the term "remanufacture" exclusively for brands and models rebuilt by the original brand maker.  These latter re-sellers have prices and warranty periods established by the makers.  Vacuum store owners can "extend" and/or "embellish" the makers' warranty period but do so at their own risk. 

When I was in business, I typically sold MY rebuilts, refurbs, and reconditioned brands and models with the same warranty that the makers' gave new.  In my day, that was usually one year for the most part.  Deciding whether to resell and/or part out brands and models is an individual and/or store policy.  I never sold "used" Rexair/Rainbows.  If I got them in on trade, I parted them out: Used them to perform repairs and sell parts.  Naturally as used and discounted from new parts' prices. 

I sold new brands and models and was a factory authorized warranty dealer for the several brands I sold concurrently.  I always kept the product registration cards for these brands and models, with the customers' approval, so IF a vacuum failed out of warranty by a short and reasonable period, I could warranty for customers without their additional costs.

Carmine D.

DC18

Reply #16   Feb 26, 2011 3:56 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Thats ok vacmanuk, I'm not sure about the warranty in the US, but CarmineD has answered that one. I know the warranties are all the same I believe now 5 years and 2 years on handhelds. The 5 year has not been around as long as the original 2 years warranty. DC18
DC18

Reply #17   Feb 26, 2011 3:58 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18 & Vacmanuk:

Carmine D.

Hello CarmineD No problem, thanks for the warranty info in the USA on Dyson Vacuums. DC18
CarmineD

Reply #18   Feb 26, 2011 7:19 am
DC18 wrote:
Hello CarmineD No problem, thanks for the warranty info in the USA on Dyson Vacuums. DC18

Thank you.

Carmine D.

iMacDaddy

Reply #19   Feb 26, 2011 9:51 pm
Well, it would cost $100 to get the Dyson in proper working order. My dad was appalled by that, saying that it changing out the brush roll should not cost that much, and that he'd rather get some $50 bargain bin special once that Dyson breaks. Indeed. What I wanted to do is get the brush-roll and belt replaced, because I have never in my life heard of a flat belt that never had to be replaced, especially one with seven years of use. In the UK, those who service vacuums say that you should replace the belt and filters once every 5 years (or so I've read) despite the claim that these are life time components. The shop says that I'd basically have to replace the entire clutch assembly because the belt that goes from the clutch to the brush is a non-servicable item. I'm not sure if I believe the guy, since I have seen videos of the clutch being disassembled and reassembled for the sole purpose of replacing the belt (which looks like a time consuming pain in the ass by the way). So my dad doesn't want to pay that money to get the brush replaced, and I do not have the time (or the special tools) to do the job with school in full swing. So I just gave them my Electrolux Oxygen canister, and I'm just going to see what I can do to the Dyson to get it in decent condition and sell it. I'm sure I can just sell it through the local 'for-sale' listings after all, because it's a Dyson after all.
CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 27, 2011 7:13 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Well, it would cost $100 to get the Dyson in proper working order. My dad was appalled by that, saying that it changing out the brush roll should not cost that much, and that he'd rather get some $50 bargain bin special once that Dyson breaks. Indeed. What I wanted to do is get the brush-roll and belt replaced, because I have never in my life heard of a flat belt that never had to be replaced, especially one with seven years of use. In the UK, those who service vacuums say that you should replace the belt and filters once every 5 years (or so I've read) despite the claim that these are life time components. The shop says that I'd basically have to replace the entire clutch assembly because the belt that goes from the clutch to the brush is a non-servicable item. I'm not sure if I believe the guy, since I have seen videos of the clutch being disassembled and reassembled for the sole purpose of replacing the belt (which looks like a time consuming pain in the ass by the way). So my dad doesn't want to pay that money to get the brush replaced, and I do not have the time (or the special tools) to do the job with school in full swing. So I just gave them my Electrolux Oxygen canister, and I'm just going to see what I can do to the Dyson to get it in decent condition and sell it. I'm sure I can just sell it through the local 'for-sale' listings after all, because it's a Dyson after all.

Your Dad is absolutely right.  $35 to replace brush roll and belt and it should be a do-it-yourself job.  No special tools required.  Why on God's green earth Consumer Reports didn't [hasn't] taken dyson to task for this on DC07 and DC14 models is beyond me.  Not really I know the reason.  Both are discontinued now so it's a moot issue.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #21   Feb 27, 2011 7:14 am
iMacDaddy wrote:

I have a friend who is bringing her 6 year SEBO X1.1 to me on Wednesday for repair. She says the brush roll isn't moving which can mean a couple of things, but most of all due to her cleaner personnel abusing the SEBO with rugs, it may well be the drive belt which is supposed to be a lifetime part. Mine lasted for 14 years before needing to be replaced - so it very much depends on the kinds of abuse the Dyson has been put through before the drive belt shears off. You can't put a duration of time on a drive belt even on a "lifetime" machine and regardless of whether its flat or otherwise. Vacuum cleaners these days have a relatively short shelf life and from the amount I've seen turfed away in our local recycling site, most vacuums only seem to last three to five years before owners chuck them out. PLUS Dyson parts are made of cheap plastic and don't tend to last very long.

I'd pay the $100 to get the Dyson repaired. At least it has served its use and will probably continue to do so after the repair. How much are Dysons in the U.S brand new? Compare and contrast. If nothing else getting the Dyson repaired will give you a machine you can use and maybe swap it back with your parents.
Venson

Reply #22   Feb 27, 2011 4:09 pm
I'd be reluctant to shell out the hundred bucks on on repairs for a seven-year-old vacuum, especially one that's basically all plastic anyway.  My reasoning being that the seven year mark may well be the beginning of the machine's downhill slide.  However if at this point in time you feel assured the $100 will get you at least five more years freedom from problems -- maybe.  If you don't, the best thing to do is save the hundred and put it toward the price of a newer, better machine.

Venson

iMacDaddy

Reply #23   Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Your Dad is absolutely right.  $35 to replace brush roll and belt and it should be a do-it-yourself job.  No special tools required.  Why on God's green earth Consumer Reports didn't [hasn't] taken dyson to task for this on DC07 and DC14 models is beyond me.  Not really I know the reason.  Both are discontinued now so it's a moot issue.

Carmine D.

Well, I think dyson has ushered in a new generation of clutch servicing and long term replacements with the DC33. As far as I'm aware, the DC33 is just a cheapened DC14 with the same clutch assembly.

Keith
CarmineD

Reply #24   Feb 28, 2011 8:04 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Well, I think dyson has ushered in a new generation of clutch servicing and long term replacements with the DC33. As far as I'm aware, the DC33 is just a cheapened DC14 with the same clutch assembly.

Keith

Hello Keith:

I'm not the least surprised.  Very typical of dyson and its proclivity on over-engineering.  Hard to let go of product failures and move on in a new/different directions.  Especially if it means accepting the tried and true standards of the industry which have past the test of time and consumer confidence. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #25   Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Keith:

I'm not the least surprised.  Very typical of dyson and its proclivity on over-engineering.  Hard to let go of product failures and move on in a new/different directions.  Especially if it means accepting the tried and true standards of the industry which have past the test of time and consumer confidence. 

Carmine D.

Thing is though, Carmine. They're all doing it - fitting clutches or protected motorized brushes with belts that have to be replaced by the engineers. Hoover in the UK have adopted it, Vax (under TTi) of course and others are following this trait. I might add though to SEBO's credit, they were one of the first to fit "lifetime" motorized brushes/floor heads - but at least the belts can be replaced by the owners!!
CarmineD

Reply #26   Mar 1, 2011 7:19 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Thing is though, Carmine. They're all doing it - fitting clutches or protected motorized brushes with belts that have to be replaced by the engineers. Hoover in the UK have adopted it, Vax (under TTi) of course and others are following this trait. I might add though to SEBO's credit, they were one of the first to fit "lifetime" motorized brushes/floor heads - but at least the belts can be replaced by the owners!!

Hello Vacmanuk:

RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and others use [for many years in the industry] a fail safe switch that automatically shuts off the motor when the brush roll is under a strain and not revolving normally.  Allows the user to unclog the obstruction in the nozzle head then restart with the fail safe switch.  No clutch involved.  Haven't seen the $130 clutch on any USA vacuums yet except for dyson.  And.... I thought, until Keith told me, they were gone after DC07 and DC14.  If clutches are the wave of the future for vacuums in the USA, I'm glad I retired.  Brush rolls and belts should be a user replacement for $40 repair for both with no special tools required.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #27   Mar 1, 2011 11:30 am
I recently replaced the brush roll on the Lux Guardian in use at the home where I clean on a regular basis. I had forgotten what a chore that is SIX screws in the bottom plate, the neck has to come out, which means removing the light socket and the shutoff switch. No local service.
The closest service center charges 79.99 and replaces the brush roll, belt, both bearing/end caps, and the lightbulb.

The simple round or flat belt really is a better way to go. BTW Consumer reports did take Miele to task once for difficult belt replacement, failing to mention it is at most a twice a decade chore.

Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #28   Mar 1, 2011 3:04 pm
Trebor wrote:
I recently replaced the brush roll on the Lux Guardian in use at the home where I clean on a regular basis. I had forgotten what a chore that is SIX screws in the bottom plate, the neck has to come out, which means removing the light socket and the shutoff switch. No local service.
The closest service center charges 79.99 and replaces the brush roll, belt, both bearing/end caps, and the lightbulb.

The simple round or flat belt really is a better way to go. BTW Consumer reports did take Miele to task once for difficult belt replacement, failing to mention it is at most a twice a decade chore.

Trebor

Hello Trebor:

The brush roll in the Guardian is wood and extra long length.  I would recommend replacement of brush roll complete, belt and bulb for $80 even if 7 or more years old.  The Guardian will easily last 20 plus years.  As will the MIELE.  Dyson DC14 with clutch?  7 years is a good run.  I wouldn't expend $100 to fit a DC 14 with a new brush roll and belt.  I'd do exactly as Keith opined.  Resell as is and use the money on another vacuum purchase. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #29   Mar 1, 2011 7:09 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and others use [for many years in the industry] a fail safe switch that automatically shuts off the motor when the brush roll is under a strain and not revolving normally.  Allows the user to unclog the obstruction in the nozzle head then restart with the fail safe switch.  No clutch involved.  Haven't seen the $130 clutch on any USA vacuums yet except for dyson.  And.... I thought, until Keith told me, they were gone after DC07 and DC14.  If clutches are the wave of the future for vacuums in the USA, I'm glad I retired.  Brush rolls and belts should be a user replacement for $40 repair for both with no special tools required.

Carmine D.

Hoover and Vax have the reset button in place. SEBO's double safe cut on the X and shut off instantly on the Felix means less wear. The Vax and Hoover actually do have clutches  - electronically controlled via the reset button and if the belts fail on either model, the brand has to be called out for the machines to be sent to them.
CarmineD

Reply #30   Mar 2, 2011 6:47 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Hoover and Vax have the reset button in place. SEBO's double safe cut on the X and shut off instantly on the Felix means less wear. The Vax and Hoover actually do have clutches  - electronically controlled via the reset button and if the belts fail on either model, the brand has to be called out for the machines to be sent to them.

Hello Vacmanuk:

Are these belt/clutch set ups recent developments in the VAX/TTI models or a long standing feature?  What are the costs for repairs for belts when sent back for replacement? 

Thanks for the info.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #31   Mar 2, 2011 11:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

Are these belt/clutch set ups recent developments in the VAX/TTI models or a long standing feature?  What are the costs for repairs for belts when sent back for replacement? 

Thanks for the info.

Carmine D.

Well, remembering that Hoover UK have nothing to do with TTi  = the charges are different although Vax and Hoover both offer 5 year warranty service whenever any of their models are purchased. Therefore you only pay for extra costs outwith the guarantee after it has expired. Hoover's Windtunnel Air that I pointed out earlier months ago in the same design format as the Vax Mach Air series all have reset buttons. Outwith guarantee you could pay up to £75 which is three quarters of the price brand new just for the belt replacement and then labour charge on top, before having to pay for the postage. Most buyers I know of won't stand for the excess replacement charge and unless they're seriously strapped for cash would consider buying a new vacuum cleaner instead of getting it repaired - a bonus as you know in the UK our models are substantially cheaper due to economy except the American brands like Kirby or Oreck.

Hoover and Vax also charge extra if you send the vacuum back with dirty filters - something I wasn't aware of when I had to send my Vax Mach Air back. The cheek of it!
Just

Reply #32   Mar 2, 2011 2:52 pm
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the vacuum.  The clumps could only mean that they should do what they are doing more often.  The more and slower you vacuum, gives the machine time to pull up the really deep down gunk, along with loosing the pet hair and wayward carpet fibers.   A carpet man once told me, 'You can never vacuum too much."  "You should vacuum once a week for every person in the house, adding another time for each pet."

This advice is, of course, given by someone that has two American Eskimo dogs and vacuums at least once, sometimes more per day. 

CarmineD

Reply #33   Mar 2, 2011 7:14 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, remembering that Hoover UK have nothing to do with TTi  = the charges are different although Vax and Hoover both offer 5 year warranty service whenever any of their models are purchased. Therefore you only pay for extra costs outwith the guarantee after it has expired. Hoover's Windtunnel Air that I pointed out earlier months ago in the same design format as the Vax Mach Air series all have reset buttons. Outwith guarantee you could pay up to £75 which is three quarters of the price brand new just for the belt replacement and then labour charge on top, before having to pay for the postage. Most buyers I know of won't stand for the excess replacement charge and unless they're seriously strapped for cash would consider buying a new vacuum cleaner instead of getting it repaired - a bonus as you know in the UK our models are substantially cheaper due to economy except the American brands like Kirby or Oreck.

Hoover and Vax also charge extra if you send the vacuum back with dirty filters - something I wasn't aware of when I had to send my Vax Mach Air back. The cheek of it!

Hello Vacmanuk:

You've hit the nail on the head. Why build in a $ 140 repair bill [for clutch/belt] to protect a $75 motor?  Doesn't make sense UNLESS you want to guarantee that owners replace rather than repair when something as little as a belt is needed.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Mar 2, 2011 7:16 pm
Just wrote:
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the vacuum.  The clumps could only mean that they should do what they are doing more often.  The more and slower you vacuum, gives the machine time to pull up the really deep down gunk, along with loosing the pet hair and wayward carpet fibers.   A carpet man once told me, 'You can never vacuum too much."  "You should vacuum once a week for every person in the house, adding another time for each pet."

This advice is, of course, given by someone that has two American Eskimo dogs and vacuums at least once, sometimes more per day. 

Hello Just:

Excellent point.  In the future, before cleaning the rugs, vacuum daily with a good working vacuum.  Vacuuming each section with the 7 passes forward and backward method.  Then, shampoo the carpets.  Some may even find that the sahmpooing of carpets may not be needed.  Just spot cleaning.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #35   Mar 2, 2011 7:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

You've hit the nail on the head. Why build in a $ 140 repair bill [for clutch/belt] to protect a $75 motor?  Doesn't make sense UNLESS you want to guarantee that owners replace rather than repair when something as little as a belt is needed.

Carmine D.

Yes Carmine, but in the UK most buyers will repair their Dyson against Hoover or Vax, particularly if they paid a lot more money than the highest priced Hoover upright. There's still a lot of brand loyalty in the UK - which is why a lot more buyers tend to go for reliable brands rather than "best selling".
CarmineD

Reply #36   Mar 2, 2011 9:38 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Yes Carmine, but in the UK most buyers will repair their Dyson against Hoover or Vax, particularly if they paid a lot more money than the highest priced Hoover upright. There's still a lot of brand loyalty in the UK - which is why a lot more buyers tend to go for reliable brands rather than "best selling".

I'm sure Vacmanuk that dyson is pleased by that in the UK.  Not sure the same dyson brand loyalty exists here in the USA where vacuum store owners and operators are not wedded to Sir James and his vacuum brand.  We have been told here once many years ago by a dyson employee, using dyson originated numbers as support, that the USA comprised 2/3 of the dyson market in new vacuum sales.  That's big share.  Not sure that percentage was and/or is accurate in the USA especially in recent years.  Why?  First, dyson has produced and sold alot of very mediocre vacuums at very high prices in the USA.  So there's a dyson track record.  Second, dyson has produced and sold some real lemons too, especially canns, a growing vacuum market in the USA in recent years.  Third, with the latest increases in bagless competition and clones of dyson at considerable lower retail prices, USA consumers have more options.  As in the the case of LG and even Shark, better bagless technologies [compression of dirt in the dirt bin with 1/3 fewer dirt bin dumps and/or completely washable cyclones] at the same prices and even less.  Forcing retailers to discount dysons regularly at least 20 percent off MSRP.  Something unheard of when dyson launched in the USA.  10 percent was the maximum off retail.  Finally, the sustained depressed economy in the USA, and in Europe, seeing sales of new high priced big box store vacuums wane considerable over the last 3 plus years.  With sales of lower priced bagged and bagless vacuums increasing.  As these have proved worthy contenders, whatever little dyson loyalty may have once existed for the new brand, is/has rapidly disappeared.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #37   Mar 3, 2011 10:40 am
CarmineD wrote:
I'm sure Vacmanuk that dyson is pleased by that in the UK.  Not sure the same dyson brand loyalty exists here in the USA where vacuum store owners and operators are not wedded to Sir James and his vacuum brand.  We have been told here once many years ago by a dyson employee, using dyson originated numbers as support, that the USA comprised 2/3 of the dyson market in new vacuum sales.  That's big share.  Not sure that percentage was and/or is accurate in the USA especially in recent years.  Why?  First, dyson has produced and sold alot of very mediocre vacuums at very high prices in the USA.  So there's a dyson track record.  Second, dyson has produced and sold some real lemons too, especially canns, a growing vacuum market in the USA in recent years.  Third, with the latest increases in bagless competition and clones of dyson at considerable lower retail prices, USA consumers have more options.  As in the the case of LG and even Shark, better bagless technologies [compression of dirt in the dirt bin with 1/3 fewer dirt bin dumps and/or completely washable cyclones] at the same prices and even less.  Forcing retailers to discount dysons regularly at least 20 percent off MSRP.  Something unheard of when dyson launched in the USA.  10 percent was the maximum off retail.  Finally, the sustained depressed economy in the USA, and in Europe, seeing sales of new high priced big box store vacuums wane considerable over the last 3 plus years.  With sales of lower priced bagged and bagless vacuums increasing.  As these have proved worthy contenders, whatever little dyson loyalty may have once existed for the new brand, is/has rapidly disappeared.

Carmine D.

Its not a question of whether buyers are "wedded" to a brand - its what the model has done in terms of longevity, Carmine. If a Hoover model for example (and cue the woman who appeared in an English newspaper last year who had kept her old Hoover for about 40 odd years without as much as a drive belt replacement) outlasts the years its supposed to, buyers tend to hang onto them and get the repairs done. Not that I'm saying a Dyson that lasts for 7 years should be considered "exactly the same," as the plastic construction is worlds away from Hoover's metal made components and general design - HOWEVER, if a model like the 7 year old Dyson has lasted up to that point, it makes sense to heap a repair on it to make it last.

No point in keep reiterating the same old same old about Dyson and its performance in the States - that isn't a reason alone to why a buyer should either consider getting rid of their Dyson or keeping it -its how long it has lasted and its general performance that owners think about when it comes to replacing. Or are you telling me that there's a comparative model in the U.S at $100 that a buyer can get for the same money, same spec as the Dyson DC07?
CarmineD

Reply #38   Mar 3, 2011 1:28 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Its not a question of whether buyers are "wedded" to a brand - its what the model has done in terms of longevity, Carmine. If a Hoover model for example (and cue the woman who appeared in an English newspaper last year who had kept her old Hoover for about 40 odd years without as much as a drive belt replacement) outlasts the years its supposed to, buyers tend to hang onto them and get the repairs done. Not that I'm saying a Dyson that lasts for 7 years should be considered "exactly the same," as the plastic construction is worlds away from Hoover's metal made components and general design - HOWEVER, if a model like the 7 year old Dyson has lasted up to that point, it makes sense to heap a repair on it to make it last.

No point in keep reiterating the same old same old about Dyson and its performance in the States - that isn't a reason alone to why a buyer should either consider getting rid of their Dyson or keeping it -its how long it has lasted and its general performance that owners think about when it comes to replacing. Or are you telling me that there's a comparative model in the U.S at $100 that a buyer can get for the same money, same spec as the Dyson DC07?

Not exactly but very close.  Dyson has a certain brand loyalty in the UK due to Sir James.  No such here.  There are certainly more vacuum options now both bagged and bagless as good if not better than dyson performance and longevity at dyson prices AND even less.  LG, Electrolux, Shark just to mention a few.  That was not the case when dyson rolled out in April 2002 in the USA.  Dyson had a lock on the bagless market in the USA.  Not so any more.  American vacuum consumers are use to belt and brush replacements for their vacuums after 5 years at reasonable costs.  When they get a bid from dyson for the same repair, or take into the local dyson authorized repair store and hear $100 or more for the fix, they are highly unlikely to spend the amount for the repair, especially now when they have bagged/bagless options.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #39   Mar 3, 2011 2:23 pm
Maybe this will asist Vacmanuk.

Let's take the 3 brands and models I indicated in my posts:  LG kompressor.  Electrolux Nimble.  Shark Navigator.  And dyson's DC07 which is discontinued.  Replaced now with DC33.  Approximate MSRP: LG Luv 200 is $300.  Electrolux is $300. Shark Navigator is $180.  DC33 is $400.  usual retail about $280 [LG 200]; Nimble still $300 but I expect will sell with at least 10 percent discounts; Shark Nav $150; DC33 sells for $319.  Warranty.  LG, 6 years. Nimble 5 years. Shark 7 years. Dyson 5 years.  All bagless.  LG offers light, cordwinder, compression technology reduces bin dumps by 1/3.  Electrolux Nimble offers maneuverabilty [like higher priced dyson ball models]. Shark allows washing of cyclones.  and maneurability.  Dyson cyclones require cleaning at $30-$50 per service.  DC33 has infamous clutch.  The comparative other models do not.  So confronted with a fix of $100 for a belt/brush on a dyson DC07 considering just the other 3 available options I listed, what would a customer do?  Add to this now, that 1/3 of bagless users [according to a Consumer Reports survey] now say it is a dirty job to dump the dirt bin?  Spend $100 plus on repair, or buy new bagless with 5-6-7 year warranty and easier and less expensive brush/belt replacement than clutched dyson?  Freedom of choice.  look at other options: Less expensive HOOVER/TTI bagged/bagless.  EUREKA, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL, all of which are $100 or less with 2 plus years of warranty. 

Or shop at a vacuum store and buy new MIELE, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY,ORECK, SEARS, Panosonic and on and on at $300 plus rather than $100 repair for belt/brush on a 5 year or older dyson? 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #40   Mar 3, 2011 7:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Not exactly but very close.  Dyson has a certain brand loyalty in the UK due to Sir James.  No such here.  There are certainly more vacuum options now both bagged and bagless as good if not better than dyson performance and longevity at dyson prices AND even less.  LG, Electrolux, Shark just to mention a few.  That was not the case when dyson rolled out in April 2002 in the USA.  Dyson had a lock on the bagless market in the USA.  Not so any more.  American vacuum consumers are use to belt and brush replacements for their vacuums after 5 years at reasonable costs.  When they get a bid from dyson for the same repair, or take into the local dyson authorized repair store and hear $100 or more for the fix, they are highly unlikely to spend the amount for the repair, especially now when they have bagged/bagless options.

Carmine D.

Not quite. Just because there's a few members on here to suggest that Dyson are the best, it isn't the case that Dyson are the biggest sellers in the UK, nor is there any "loyalty" due to Dyson shifting his manufacturer base to Asia. UK buyers don't care what the Dyson UK centre is regardless of whether its R&D or outsourcing. Miele have a UK base and they're far more reliable. Infact, when taking into account the reliability factors, even if there are more Dysons taken into account by Which? Consumers, both SEBO and MIELE (and even Oreck, as small as they are in the UK with less than new machines you have in the States, prove that other brands have better reliability. Buyers are getting into the statistics and making better choices, realising that "not all bags clog the suction". Infact, Vax has been, and for some time the best "newcomer" to the sales value alone, pushing Dyson out of the high street chain in many shop sellers, with only "Comet," one of few franchises who took on Dyson to sell to the public, remaining true to Dyson and this day where their ranges still sell from.
CarmineD

Reply #41   Mar 4, 2011 7:31 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Not quite. Just because there's a few members on here to suggest that Dyson are the best, it isn't the case that Dyson are the biggest sellers in the UK, nor is there any "loyalty" due to Dyson shifting his manufacturer base to Asia. UK buyers don't care what the Dyson UK centre is regardless of whether its R&D or outsourcing. Miele have a UK base and they're far more reliable. Infact, when taking into account the reliability factors, even if there are more Dysons taken into account by Which? Consumers, both SEBO and MIELE (and even Oreck, as small as they are in the UK with less than new machines you have in the States, prove that other brands have better reliability.realising that  Buyers are getting into the statistics and making better choices, and "not all bags clog the suction". Infact, Vax has been, and for some time the best "newcomer" to the sales value alone, pushing Dyson out of the high street chain in many shop sellers, with only "Comet," one of few franchises who took on Dyson to sell to the public, remaining true to Dyson and this day where their ranges still sell from.

Very interesting Vacmanuk.  Another factor that holds sway here in the USA WRT dyson repairs [in fact any/all repairs] are the vacuum repair store owner/operators.  Oftentimes customers confronted with a steep repair charge and an older vacuum will ask the store owner/operators: Is the vacuum worth fixing?  I suspect I know the answer in 4 out of 5 cases with older dysons.  I recall a dyson owner who posted here who purchased a new dyson from a big box store that failed after several months.  Dyson referred dyson owner to a local authorized dyson dealer for a repair under warranty.  When the customer got their with his defected dyson, he noticed the vacuum store sold MIELE, SEBO, RICCAR/Simplicity and other vacuum brands but no dysons.  I can only imagine what the conversation went like between the vacuum store owner and the dyson owner. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #42   Mar 4, 2011 9:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
Very interesting Vacmanuk.  Another factor that holds sway here in the USA WRT dyson repairs [in fact any/all repairs] are the vacuum repair store owner/operators.  Oftentimes customers confronted with a steep repair charge and an older vacuum will ask the store owner/operators: Is the vacuum worth fixing?  I suspect I know the answer in 4 out of 5 cases with older dysons.  I recall a dyson owner who posted here who purchased a new dyson from a big box store that failed after several months.  Dyson referred dyson owner to a local authorized dyson dealer for a repair under warranty.  When the customer got their with his defected dyson, he noticed the vacuum store sold MIELE, SEBO, RICCAR/Simplicity and other vacuum brands but no dysons.  I can only imagine what the conversation went like between the vacuum store owner and the dyson owner. 

Carmine D.

Of course I guess it all depends on the amount of charges that franchises/wherever the owner purchased the appliance from are also heaping on the charge and here, we can insert ideas of independent repairers against franchise ones. I recall having constant problems with Comet staff who wouldn't drop down a £70 charge for a replacement dish for a Sharp microwave I once owned. The oven had just passed the warranty and the company just wouldn't budge on the price. In the end I contacted an independent supplier who could get the same part at far less cost. It's the independents like this who sometimes sway buyers to go with another franchise. The warranty systems they have in the UK under franchise is called "Domestic and General," and has an average charge for an extended guarantee which often runs into problems by owners, especially when the franchise haven't looked at the existing guarantee that covers the machine the buyer has paid for, often overlooking certain conditions set by the brand warranty. Sometimes it feels like a token gesture but when buyers don't research alternatives, they then get ripped off by the franchise repair costs and could have got a cheaper deal by going independent.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2011 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #43   Mar 4, 2011 1:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Of course I guess it all depends on the amount of charges that franchises/wherever the owner purchased the appliance from are also heaping on the charge and here, we can insert ideas of independent repairers against franchise ones. I recall having constant problems with Comet staff who wouldn't drop down a £70 charge for a replacement dish for a Sharp microwave I once owned. The oven had just passed the warranty and the company just wouldn't budge on the price. In the end I contacted an independent supplier who could get the same part at far less cost. It's the independents like this who sometimes sway buyers to go with another franchise. The warranty systems they have in the UK under franchise is called "Domestic and General," and has an average charge for an extended guarantee which often runs into problems by owners, especially when the franchise haven't looked at the existing guarantee that covers the machine the buyer has paid for, often overlooking certain conditions set by the brand warranty. Sometimes it feels like a token gesture but when buyers don't research alternatives, they then get ripped off by the franchise repair costs and could have got a cheaper deal by going independent.

BEST BUY stores have been the largest retail seller of dyson vacuums in the USA.  This chain launched dysons in 2002.  However, the Best Buy stores have taken in alot of the latest bagged and bagless competitors to dyson with much sales success, I'm told.  In large part because the high prices of dysons don't sell in the current market and economy.  I'm told BEST BUY's best yearly sales of dysons was 2006 and it's been down hill dyson-wise since.  Very similar to your experiences in the UK.  Alot more less expensive vacuum options for consumers.  Plus, BEST BUY stores are struggling financially and recently losing sales to its competitors. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #44   Mar 4, 2011 1:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Maybe this will asist Vacmanuk.

Let's take the 3 brands and models I indicated in my posts:  LG kompressor.  Electrolux Nimble.  Shark Navigator.  And dyson's DC07 which is discontinued.  Replaced now with DC33.  Approximate MSRP: LG Luv 200 is $300.  Electrolux is $300. Shark Navigator is $180.  DC33 is $400.  usual retail about $280 [LG 200]; Nimble still $300 but I expect will sell with at least 10 percent discounts; Shark Nav $150; DC33 sells for $319.  Warranty.  LG, 6 years. Nimble 5 years. Shark 7 years. Dyson 5 years.  All bagless.  LG offers light, cordwinder, compression technology reduces bin dumps by 1/3.  Electrolux Nimble offers maneuverabilty [like higher priced dyson ball models]. Shark allows washing of cyclones.  and maneurability.  Dyson cyclones require cleaning at $30-$50 per service.  DC33 has infamous clutch.  The comparative other models do not.  So confronted with a fix of $100 for a belt/brush on a dyson DC07 considering just the other 3 available options I listed, what would a customer do?  Add to this now, that 1/3 of bagless users [according to a Consumer Reports survey] now say it is a dirty job to dump the dirt bin?  Spend $100 plus on repair, or buy new bagless with 5-6-7 year warranty and easier and less expensive brush/belt replacement than clutched dyson?  Freedom of choice.  look at other options: Less expensive HOOVER/TTI bagged/bagless.  EUREKA, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL, all of which are $100 or less with 2 plus years of warranty. 

Or shop at a vacuum store and buy new MIELE, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY,ORECK, SEARS, Panosonic and on and on at $300 plus rather than $100 repair for belt/brush on a 5 year or older dyson? 

Carmine D.

This doesn't assist me in a lot of ways and here's why:

1. It isn't fair to judge an older model using the more modern versions - more modern versions that have more or increased features will sway buyers from their favourite model - or the model which has stood the test of time. 7 years in my opinion for a Dyson upright is a long time. Others may disagree.
  2. If you have a perfectly working Oreck upright Carmine, that needs something comparatively priced in parts cost and you've owned it for a long time - would you go out and buy the latest Oreck or stick with the old? As someone famous said "if it aint broke, dont fix it.' I think it applies the other way around too - especially if a vacuum cleaner has outlasted expectations or has gone through years of "abuse" due to the amount of traffic dirt it has picked up so far.
  3. Even if the list of rivals you have listed is endlessly cheaper to buy, there are other Dyson models out there which are, in my opinion are better. These rivals don't have the increased cyclone wear or filters that can be left without cleaning out. The Root Cyclones are far better than the Dual Cyclone method - which companies are now catching up on. 
  4. You have changed the subject around to a subjective opinion based on alternatives to replacing the Dyson DC07. The original member posted the query on whether it was worth spending that much money on repair. Yet, unless it has actually undergone the repair and continues to bust up after the repair cost has been paid for, then obviously the model should be replaced. If however it gives perfect performance, then I don't think spending $100 is really that much to complain about. Try $162 to $180 - because that's how much it cost US in the U.K on average to get a vacuum cleaner like the Dyson DC07 repaired.

CarmineD

Reply #45   Mar 4, 2011 2:20 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

1. It isn't fair to judge an older model using the more modern versions - more modern versions that have more or increased features will sway buyers from their favourite model - or the model which has stood the test of time. 7 years in my opinion for a Dyson upright is a long time. Others may disagree.
  2. If you have a perfectly working Oreck upright Carmine, that needs something comparatively priced in parts cost and you've owned it for a long time - would you go out and buy the latest Oreck or stick with the old? As someone famous said "if it aint broke, dont fix it.' I think it applies the other way around too - especially if a vacuum cleaner has outlasted expectations or has gone through years of "abuse" due to the amount of traffic dirt it has picked up so far.
  3. Even if the list of rivals you have listed is endlessly cheaper to buy, there are other Dyson models out there which are, in my opinion are better. These rivals don't have the increased cyclone wear or filters that can be left without cleaning out. The Root Cyclones are far better than the Dual Cyclone method - which companies are now catching up on. 
  4. You have changed the subject around to a subjective opinion based on alternatives to replacing the Dyson DC07. The original member posted the query on whether it was worth spending that much money on repair. Yet, unless it has actually undergone the repair and continues to bust up after the repair cost has been paid for, then obviously the model should be replaced. If however it gives perfect performance, then I don't think spending $100 is really that much to complain about. Try $162 to $180 - because that's how much it cost US in the U.K on average to get a vacuum cleaner like the Dyson DC07 repaired.

The issue Vacmanuk for the dyson DC07 owner user is this: Is a belt and brush replacement on a 7 year old DC07 worth $100 repair.  Options like investing the $100 dyson repair cost into a new vacuum dyson or other with a 5-6-7 year product warranty has to factor into the decision making process.  No warranty with the dyson repair.

WRT my 4 year old ORECK XL Classic [this month makes 4 years] belts and bags have been the only expense.  Cost me $150 new, belts are $2 each and are do-it-yourself.  I change every 5-6 months.  Takes less than a minute.  Bags are $1.50 each.  I change every 2 months.  Brush roll is still like brand new.  At this rate, I'll have it 10 years before it may need replacement and it costs now $30 and it's a do-it-yourself repair.   Not the same as a dyson DC 07 repair on a 7 year old dyson for $100. 

Carmine D.

iMacDaddy

Reply #46   Mar 4, 2011 2:22 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Vacmanuk: I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about Root Cyclone vs. Dual Cyclone. From my experience from using (and owning) machines that featured Dual and Root Cyclone, I can't really surmise that Root Cyclone is significantly better than Dual Cyclone. First off, the evidence is on the pre-filter: compare the filter from a DC25 with that from a competitors machine that has a dual, for instance, the Electrolux Nimble. The content of dust on the filters are no more different from each other; if anything, the Nimble's filter had less dust on it.

In addition to filtration effectiveness, I recall at the time when Dyson debuted Root 8 Cyclone on the DC07 back in 2001 or so, they boasted more powerful suction as a benefit with the new system....however, we have seen airwatt ratings drop with each successive model until recently: DC07=270 AW, DC14=245 AW, DC15=220 AW, DC17=220 AW, DC18=200 AW, DC25=220 AW, DC28=245 AW, DC33=240 AW (Basically DC14 redux).
This message was modified Mar 4, 2011 by iMacDaddy
vacmanuk

Reply #47   Mar 4, 2011 8:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The issue Vacmanuk for the dyson DC07 owner user is this: Is a belt and brush replacement on a 7 year old DC07 worth $100 repair.  Options like investing the $100 dyson repair cost into a new vacuum dyson or other with a 5-6-7 year product warranty has to factor into the decision making process.  No warranty with the dyson repair.

WRT my 4 year old ORECK XL Classic [this month makes 4 years] belts and bags have been the only expense.  Cost me $150 new, belts are $2 each and are do-it-yourself.  I change every 5-6 months.  Takes less than a minute.  Bags are $1.50 each.  I change every 2 months.  Brush roll is still like brand new.  At this rate, I'll have it 10 years before it may need replacement and it costs now $30 and it's a do-it-yourself repair.   Not the same as a dyson DC 07 repair on a 7 year old dyson for $100. 

Carmine D.

IMHO if its a base DC07, then its not worth it- but this is a brush control model - so it is worth the $100. When I come to think about it Carmine, at one point I spent around $150  equivalent on a new SEBO plug channel on the back of my Dart commercial upright. It rendered the electric floor brush useless and needed the repair. SEBO don't honour 5 year warranties with their commercial uprights because they get more wear and tear. Not worth chucking out though based on its general reliability, has lasted 6 years and top price brand new is $406-82 Are you suggesting then that I should have chucked out my old model and bought a new SEBO?
HARDSELL

Reply #48   Mar 4, 2011 8:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Oreck for 7  years and a $70 to maintain happy with filthy carpet.

Dyson for 7 years with $100 cost and clean carpet.   PRICELESS.
CarmineD

Reply #49   Mar 5, 2011 7:23 am
vacmanuk wrote:
IMHO if its a base DC07, then its not worth it- but this is a brush control model - so it is worth the $100. When I come to think about it Carmine, at one point I spent around $150  equivalent on a new SEBO plug channel on the back of my Dart commercial upright. It rendered the electric floor brush useless and needed the repair. SEBO don't honour 5 year warranties with their commercial uprights because they get more wear and tear. Not worth chucking out though based on its general reliability, has lasted 6 years and top price brand new is $406-82 Are you suggesting then that I should have chucked out my old model and bought a new SEBO?

In the USA Vacmanuk, the only model DC07 is [was] the clutch.  For a very short period of time, Wal*Mart sold a non-clutch model for about $320 as an exclusive model.  A brush roll and belt replacement would have been a $50 do-it-yourself job.  Worth the repair money in my opinion.  Dyson discontinued. 

In the final analysis, a repair decision is a personal and individual one. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #50   Mar 5, 2011 7:31 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Oreck for 7  years and a $70 to maintain happy with filthy carpet.

Dyson for 7 years with $100 cost and clean carpet.   PRICELESS.

I see you flunked math. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #51   Mar 5, 2011 8:16 am
CarmineD wrote:
I see you flunked math. 

Carmine D.

I was simply being generous with you Carmine.  The 7 year maintenance cost on your Oreck is $91 vs $100 on the Dyson.  Luxury does cost a little more.  However it is PRICELESS.
CarmineD

Reply #52   Mar 5, 2011 8:21 am
Hello VacmanuK:

Let me switch gears, no pun intended.  One of the clothes driers my wife and I had in one of our homes was a new SEARS Kenmore.  It was a no frills model that cost $250 in the 70's.  After 5 years, it stopped drying clothes.  I did some detective work and determined that it was the heating element.  My wife called and a repairmen from SEARS/independent appliance tech both wanted $100 for the in-home repair.  I bought the element for $19 OTC from a local parts store and installed myself.  A few more years later, the belt that drove the drum broke.  Tub wouldn't spin.  Again repairmen wanted $100 to fix ion the home.  I bought the belt for $8 and installed myself.  Over the years, the element continued to fail.  Poor design and placement.  Next time it was $39 to buy OTC.  Next time $59.  After 22 years, the element was a special order part andf the local appliance parts store was out of business.  Cost was over $100 to buy.  I chucked it, as you say, and replaced with a new drier for $400.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #53   Mar 5, 2011 8:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello VacmanuK:

Let me switch gears, no pun intended.  One of the clothes driers my wife and I had in one of our homes was a new SEARS Kenmore.  It was a no frills model that cost $250 in the 70's.  After 5 years, it stopped drying clothes.  I did some detective work and determined that it was the heating element.  My wife called and a repairmen from SEARS/independent appliance tech both wanted $100 for the in-home repair.  I bought the element for $19 OTC from a local parts store and installed myself.  A few more years later, the belt that drove the drum broke.  Tub wouldn't spin.  Again repairmen wanted $100 to fix ion the home.  I bought the belt for $8 and installed myself.  Over the years, the element continued to fail.  Poor design and placement.  Next time it was $39 to buy OTC.  Next time $59.  After 22 years, the element was a special order part andf the local appliance parts store was out of business.  Cost was over $100 to buy.  I chucked it, as you say, and replaced with a new drier for $400.

Carmine D.

You could have bought a nylon clothes line for around $10 and it would likely last a life time.  You could also use it for the weather report.
CarmineD

Reply #54   Mar 5, 2011 8:32 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I was simply being generous with you Carmine.  The 7 year maintenance cost on your Oreck is $91 vs $100 on the Dyson.  Luxury does cost a little more.  However it is PRICELESS.

And I was being gracious with you HARDSELL when I said you just flunked math!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #55   Mar 5, 2011 8:34 am
HARDSELL wrote:
You could have bought a nylon clothes line for around $10 and it would likely last a life time.  You could also use it for the weather report.

See there you go again making assumptions.  Local county and HOA ordinances prohibited clothes lines.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #56   Mar 5, 2011 8:42 am
CarmineD wrote:
See there you go again making assumptions.  Local county and HOA ordinances prohibited clothes lines.

Carmine D.

Understandable.  Who would want to see Carmine's long handles blowing in the wind?
CarmineD

Reply #57   Mar 5, 2011 8:45 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Vacmanuk: I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about Root Cyclone vs. Dual Cyclone. From my experience from using (and owning) machines that featured Dual and Root Cyclone, I can't really surmise that Root Cyclone is significantly better than Dual Cyclone. First off, the evidence is on the pre-filter: compare the filter from a DC25 with that from a competitors machine that has a dual, for instance, the Electrolux Nimble. The content of dust on the filters are no more different from each other; if anything, the Nimble's filter had less dust on it.

In addition to filtration effectiveness, I recall at the time when Dyson debuted Root 8 Cyclone on the DC07 back in 2001 or so, they boasted more powerful suction as a benefit with the new system....however, we have seen airwatt ratings drop with each successive model until recently: DC07=270 AW, DC14=245 AW, DC15=220 AW, DC17=220 AW, DC18=200 AW, DC25=220 AW, DC28=245 AW, DC33=240 AW (Basically DC14 redux).

Dyson also increased the retail prices of the successor root vacuums AND increased the filter maintenance times from 6-9 months on the dual to 2-3 months on the root.  What a pain and bother for users.  Almost as bad as Rainbows but not quite.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #58   Mar 5, 2011 8:53 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Understandable.  Who would want to see Carmine's long handles blowing in the wind?

Me for one HARDSELL.  Nothing like the look, smell and feel of late fall/early winter air dried long johns.

Carmine D.

hooverman

Reply #59   Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm
Get a Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 or a Hoover Windtunnel or a TriStar; they all outclean Dyson!  Or better yet, a Sanitaire SC888 or Kirby.
Replies: 1 - 59 of 59View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42