Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run
Original Message   Dec 10, 2009 7:58 am
Dyson opens its first pop-up shop today, created by the product company’s in-house team. If Dyson deems the venture a success, it will consider opening a permanent store.

http://www.designweek.co.uk/dyson-opens-bluewater-pop-up-store/3007793.article

This message was modified Dec 10, 2009 by M00seUK
Replies: 84 - 93 of 94Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run
Reply #84   Nov 23, 2010 3:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello turtle:

Interestingly I received an email from dyson today with their latest for dyson owners with pets:  DC23 and 24 animal models.  Doesn't look good for anything new coming from dyson this year except for DC33 and DC35 both variations on the same old dyson theme with a tad more spin and marketing.  I admit $319 for dyson's DC33 Muti-floor is more reasonable than DC 07 and 14, both scrubbed.  I expect as the holiday season ramps up DC33 prices will come down more.  I note that the 20 percent discounts from Bed Bath and Beyond no longer excludes dyson purchases.  Applies now to all dyson products too.  I recall several years ago when BB&B tried this, dyson had a hissy fit and made them exclude dysons from the discounts.  No more.  Shades of Wal*Mart.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Agree .....gotta do discounts to move dysons....but so much more is available at a fraction of the dyson price for a far better deep clean and longer lasting product.....been proven time and time again......dyson is only playing catch up with far lower priced and superior cleaning units....as always...need more be said Carmine? 

CarmineD

Reply #85   Nov 23, 2010 4:38 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Agree .....gotta do discounts to move dysons....but so much more is available at a fraction of the dyson price for a far better deep clean and longer lasting product.....been proven time and time again......dyson is only playing catch up with far lower priced and superior cleaning units....as always...need more be said Carmine? 

Dyson is quickly becoming a niche vacuum maker/seller.  What it always should have been has been forced on it despite all dyson's spin and marketing to declare itself a mainstream seller.  Never was.  Which is not a bad thing.  Except dyson can't afford to pay 500 engineers for niche vacuums.  Hence the push by dyson to expand into hand driers and fans.  And if we can believe the dyson fans here kitchen appliances.  Will the latter pan out?  Hasn't so far and not looking good IMHO.  So what's next for the illustrious dyson.  Dig in and resort/resign itself to a niche vacuum brand and market: It's bread and butter.  And revamp prices down after firing 400 of its high paid engineers and who knows how many lawyers to defend its patents.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #86   Nov 24, 2010 9:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
Dyson is quickly becoming a niche vacuum maker/seller.  What it always should have been has been forced on it despite all dyson's spin and marketing to declare itself a mainstream seller.  Never was.  Which is not a bad thing.  Except dyson can't afford to pay 500 engineers for niche vacuums.  Hence the push by dyson to expand into hand driers and fans.  And if we can believe the dyson fans here kitchen appliances.  Will the latter pan out?  Hasn't so far and not looking good IMHO.  So what's next for the illustrious dyson.  Dig in and resort/resign itself to a niche vacuum brand and market: It's bread and butter.  And revamp prices down after firing 400 of its high paid engineers and who knows how many lawyers to defend its patents.

Carmine D.

The vacuum cleaner by Dyson wasn't the first actual Dyson, Carmine, so it isn't particularly true that because of the vacuum cleaners, their expertise should be brought into question. Again this seems to be a challenging view by U.S versus U.K and the U.S seem to only have got the vacuums and nothing else in their range. A company that becomes established in the UK can become a major player overnight - buyers aren't impressed by price alone - Miele's larger household appliances in the U.K are a prime example of this. Although they are good, they are largely overpriced and despite some of their appliances like their washing machines than can have "updated software" by going online, it doesn't really impress many buyers if the cost price is too high. Dyson's vacuum cleaners have always been a niche marketing idea from the cyclone suction system (whether you choose to agree with me or not) in the same way that Miele, SEBO and BOSCH offer better quality build, efficiency, design and performance at higher prices. I know which brands I prefer - but without their cyclone suction "technology," Dyson would be dead in the water, or at best play along with other brands offering paper pleated cones that need to be cleaned after every use to keep the suction going.
CarmineD

Reply #87   Nov 24, 2010 3:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
The vacuum cleaner by Dyson wasn't the first actual Dyson, Carmine, so it isn't particularly true that because of the vacuum cleaners, their expertise should be brought into question. Again this seems to be a challenging view by U.S versus U.K and the U.S seem to only have got the vacuums and nothing else in their range. A company that becomes established in the UK can become a major player overnight - buyers aren't impressed by price alone - Miele's larger household appliances in the U.K are a prime example of this. Although they are good, they are largely overpriced and despite some of their appliances like their washing machines than can have "updated software" by going online, it doesn't really impress many buyers if the cost price is too high. Dyson's vacuum cleaners have always been a niche marketing idea from the cyclone suction system (whether you choose to agree with me or not) in the same way that Miele, SEBO and BOSCH offer better quality build, efficiency, design and performance at higher prices. I know which brands I prefer - but without their cyclone suction "technology," Dyson would be dead in the water, or at best play along with other brands offering paper pleated cones that need to be cleaned after every use to keep the suction going.

Hi Vacmanuk:

Here in the US, dyson launched vacuums in April 2002.  Vacuums have been its mainstay and primarily in big box store venues for sales.  Service and parts done by the indies.

As I recall, dyson launched its CR in 2000 in UK.  Redid it as CR02 and re-launched in 2004 again.  Pulled off the market in 2005 with a meager 1900 unit sales and not reentered the appliance market since the CR02.  I suspect Brits are more loyal to the brand due to Sir James.  I believe based on my observations and info that dyson sales have tanked in the US since the recession hit and the US housing market collapsed. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #88   Nov 24, 2010 6:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Vacmanuk:

Here in the US, dyson launched vacuums in April 2002.  Vacuums have been its mainstay and primarily in big box store venues for sales.  Service and parts done by the indies.

As I recall, dyson launched its CR in 2000 in UK.  Redid it as CR02 and re-launched in 2004 again.  Pulled off the market in 2005 with a meager 1900 unit sales and not reentered the appliance market since the CR02.  I suspect Brits are more loyal to the brand due to Sir James.  I believe based on my observations and info that dyson sales have tanked in the US since the recession hit and the US housing market collapsed. 

Carmine D.

Maytag were similar in the UK. They appeared for about three years then disappeared following their takeover with Whirlpool and since then no vacuum cleaners, just the larger household appliances. Even one of their vacuums was a best buy rated by Which.
CarmineD

Reply #89   Nov 25, 2010 7:36 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Maytag were similar in the UK. They appeared for about three years then disappeared following their takeover with Whirlpool and since then no vacuum cleaners, just the larger household appliances. Even one of their vacuums was a best buy rated by Which.

Maytag had almost 70 years of history in appliance production and sales in the USA before it tackled the UK market.  I supect the vacuum was a HOOVER USA with Maytag name plate, common occurence here in the US before Whirlpool acquired Maytag/HOOVER brand.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #90   Nov 25, 2010 9:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Maytag had almost 70 years of history in appliance production and sales in the USA before it tackled the UK market.  I supect the vacuum was a HOOVER USA with Maytag name plate, common occurence here in the US before Whirlpool acquired Maytag/HOOVER brand.

Carmine D.

Well, you may recognise it as a Hoover in the U.S. This was the Maytag U5131 that we had in the U.K:

CarmineD

Reply #91   Nov 26, 2010 7:46 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, you may recognise it as a Hoover in the U.S. This was the Maytag U5131 that we had in the U.K:

Yes Sir : HOOVER Power Max.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 26, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #92   Nov 26, 2010 3:21 pm
An updated pic of the latest version of the HOOVER Power Max approximately year 2000.  I believe it is called the Power Max 11 Model U5242.

Hoover Powermax U5242-930 Vacuum 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 26, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #93   Nov 26, 2010 6:03 pm
Ooh, thanks for that Carmine!
Replies: 84 - 93 of 94Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42