Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run
Original Message   Dec 10, 2009 7:58 am
Dyson opens its first pop-up shop today, created by the product company’s in-house team. If Dyson deems the venture a success, it will consider opening a permanent store.

http://www.designweek.co.uk/dyson-opens-bluewater-pop-up-store/3007793.article

This message was modified Dec 10, 2009 by M00seUK
Replies: 1 - 94 of 94View as Outline
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Re: Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run
Reply #1   Dec 10, 2009 11:44 am
It's about bloody time!
CarmineD

Reply #2   Dec 10, 2009 1:32 pm
Food for thought:  Is it too little and too late?

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #3   Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm
It’s hard to give Dyson any real credit for innovation in deciding to go in this direction – Apple is the trendsetter for retailing high-tech consumer goods in a boutique-style setting. Even Microsoft are now trying to imitate the Apple Store concept. Never-the-less, I personally think it’s a positive move for Dyson. How many guys would be tempted by the glimpse of an industrial robot while being dragged to another clothes shop by their other half :-)

In the UK, Dyson’s retail sales approach appears to primarily target the large, out-of-town retailers. These locations typically have really good point of sale, with the products displayed in custom-built fixtures. From what I can tell, Dyson put a lot of resources in to staff training and product knowledge. But there’s always other avenues and Apple have shown that you can sell direct in these locations and make incredible revenue per square foot or even just showcase the merchandise for later purchase from another sales channel.

There’s quite a few prime lets in shopping mall locations at the moment. If Dyson wanted to role out this concept next year, I imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #4   Dec 10, 2009 6:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Food for thought:  Is it too little and too late?

Carmine D.

Speaking of food, there are a number of combination restaurants like Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried.     Maybe there will be a combination Dyson/Oreck store some day. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #5   Dec 10, 2009 6:39 pm
So does the store have any Dyson Christmas ornaments or toys? 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #6   Dec 11, 2009 7:49 am
Severus wrote:
So does the store have any Dyson Christmas ornaments or toys? 

Yes, SEVERUS, the products themselves.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Dec 11, 2009 7:52 am
Severus wrote:
Speaking of food, there are a number of combination restaurants like Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried.     Maybe there will be a combination Dyson/Oreck store some day. 

As I recall SEVERUS, years ago you called out Sir James for not following the ORECK business model.  What?  9 yeras ago?  Seems Sir James takes along time to get the point.  What is that they say about Englishmen and punch lines?  Takes a while for them to get it!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #8   Dec 11, 2009 8:29 am
Here's the ORECK Christmas venue.  Dib-ster can argue over who copied who.

Carmine D.

Our Best Deals of the Season! Limited time offers end Dec 14th. Shop Now »
Call 1-800-289-5888 to place an order anytime 24/7.
Our Best Deal of the Holiday Season
Oreck Holiday Specials

Get up to
4 vacs
for the
price of 1
Get up to 3 gifts FREE!

Shop Upright Vacuums »

Oreck Holiday
3-for-1

Get 2 gifts FREE!

Shop Air
Purifiers »

Our lowest
price of the season

on the Steam-It
all-purpose
steam wand

Shop the Oreck
Steam-It »

Get 3 vacs
for the
price of 1
Get 2 gifts FREE!

Shop the Oreck
Halo »
Plus, many other great gift ideas
Order Online or call 1-800-289-5888 to place an order anytime 24/7.

Share this great offer! Forward to a friend today.

Having trouble viewing this email? View on our website. Are your Oreck emails getting caught in a spam filter? Learn how to ensure you receive Oreck emails

We don't want to send you any unwanted email. If you'd like to be removed from this mailing list, click here.

Oreck Privacy Policy.

© 2009 Oreck Holdings, LLC. All rights reserved. All trademarks and product configurations are owned and used under the authorization of Oreck Holdings, LLC. Oreck Corporation // 565 Marriott Dr, Ste 300 // Nashville TN, 37214

vacmanuk

Reply #9   Dec 11, 2009 10:00 am
Well, Miele UK have had their Centre of Excellence store since 1994!
Severus

Reply #10   Dec 11, 2009 11:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
As I recall SEVERUS, years ago you called out Sir James for not following the ORECK business model.  What?  9 yeras ago?  Seems Sir James takes along time to get the point.  What is that they say about Englishmen and punch lines?  Takes a while for them to get it!

Carmine D.

It takes a huge amount of money and resources to operate company stores.  I think Oreck and Dyson could make a nice partnership, since for the most part the products are complimentary.   Oreck could even sell little dust masks for bagless vacuum owners to wear when emptying their dust canisters.   I don't think Oreck will ever sell their own bagless vacuum.   

Venson

Reply #11   Dec 11, 2009 11:43 am
As always, to each his own but association with Oreck I'd think has its benefits in that the name is very familiar in the American vacuum market. Please note that I have no data re sales but over time Oreck has picked up a number of vacuums that did not originate from it and kept them on its roster for long periods. Oreck's Dutch Tech canisters were originally branded as Philips for years in Europe. Philips, a broad scale manufacturer, opted out of the vacuum market.

Its orbital polisher is also an outsourced product. The Halo makers highly debatable product also has ended up in the hands Oreck. I can only assume that Oreck is garnering enough sales off the like to allow it great faith in what and those its name can draw in.

I would wonder about the "be true to your school" aspect going out the window were it not that both big box stores and independent vacuum dealers daily stock competing products on their shelves anyway.

Venson
This message was modified Dec 11, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #12   Dec 11, 2009 12:29 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, Miele UK have had their Centre of Excellence store since 1994!

AND............an 18 wheeler mobile warehouse/store with the latest wares.  It travels form the MIELE Hqtrs in NJ cross country making day/weekend stops at authorized MIELE dealers USA wide.  It is, as you would expect from MIELE, all top shelve, first class luxury accomodations and presentations.  All the MIELE products in a one stop and shop mobile 18 wheeler.  Smeared with MIELE art for products, brand name and advertisements.    The presence alone evokes buzz from all.  And always good for MIELE sales at the local dealers.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #13   Dec 11, 2009 4:19 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Dyson opens its first pop-up shop today, created by the product company’s in-house team. If Dyson deems the venture a success, it will consider opening a permanent store.

Can you tell us where the complaint department is? is it at the front or at the back ? This place looks like a hair salon, this looks like a photochop......
Venson

Reply #14   Dec 11, 2009 5:24 pm
mole wrote:
Can you tell us where the complaint department is? is it at the front or at the back ? This place looks like a hair salon, this looks like a photochop......

Now, now MOLE -- chic shopping venues don't have complaint departments but the more customer-friendly ones do make sure to keep smelling salts on hand in their First Aid kits for when they hit you with the bill.

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #15   Dec 11, 2009 8:03 pm
Severus wrote:
It takes a huge amount of money and resources to operate company stores.  I think Oreck and Dyson could make a nice partnership, since for the most part the products are complimentary.   Oreck could even sell little dust masks for bagless vacuum owners to wear when emptying their dust canisters.   I don't think Oreck will ever sell their own bagless vacuum.   

A perfect opportunity for Oreck to add a freebe of value.  They could give a Dyson with each Oreck.  Customers would finally get a vacuum to clean with and let the kids play with the Oreck.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #16   Dec 11, 2009 8:49 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
A perfect opportunity for Oreck to add a freebe of value.  They could give a Dyson with each Oreck.  Customers would finally get a vacuum to clean with and let the kids play with the Oreck.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #17   Dec 11, 2009 9:24 pm
M00seUK wrote:

mole wrote:

No complaint dept. necessary - Dyson's are perfect. 
This message was modified Dec 11, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #18   Dec 12, 2009 6:59 am
HARDSELL wrote:

My 5 year old grand daughter, tall for her age and soon to be 6, uses an ORECK XL Classic to help her Mom with the cleaning of rugs and floors.  Great way to start the youngsters off on the right foot around the home.  Now her younger sisters try too, while the oldest who gives instructions.  It's a joy to watch.  They love their ORECK, so does their Mom, for obvious reasons. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #19   Dec 12, 2009 7:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
My 5 year old grand daughter, tall for her age and soon to be 6, uses an ORECK XL Classic to help her Mom with the cleaning of rugs and floors.  Great way to start the youngsters off on the right foot around the home.  Now her younger sisters try too, while the oldest who gives instructions.  It's a joy to watch.  They love their ORECK, so does their Mom, for obvious reasons. 

Carmine D.

It is great that they have toys to teach them the fundamentals of vacuuming.  Won't be long till they can use a real vacuum.
CarmineD

Reply #20   Dec 12, 2009 7:52 am
HARDSELL wrote:
It is great that they have toys to teach them the fundamentals of vacuuming.  Won't be long till they can use a real vacuum.

HS:

The nice thing about using an ORECK is that while my grands are playing they are actually working. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #21   Dec 12, 2009 8:14 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

The nice thing about using an ORECK is that while my grands are playing they are actually working. 

Carmine D.

No doubt they are working.  Pushing and pulling a vacuum and not removing dirt does remove the play from oreck toys.
CarmineD

Reply #22   Dec 12, 2009 8:34 am
HARDSELL wrote:
No doubt they are working.  Pushing and pulling a vacuum and not removing dirt does remove the play from oreck toys.

HS:

I detect a tone of jealousy in you that youngsters can use/operate ORECKs with better results than some adults using them and other full size brands.  Have your joke here at their expense and ORECK.  But it doesn't change the fact that at 8-9 pounds ORECK is a wonderful vacuum tool/toy, call it what you will, to start youngsters into a home cleaning routine and keep them later as adult customers. 

Just as dyson copied ORECK with the retail store front venue, not saying it will be a success for dyson as it has for ORECK, you are envious that ORECK trumps dyson with a smaller, lighter, better vacuum product that is simple and easy even for pre-teens to use.  It's a priceless feature/life lesson for parents and their children to enjoy using ORECKs and continue doing so later.  Sorry you missed the opportunity.  Sure your son never had any interest in using your Rainbow.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 12, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #23   Dec 12, 2009 9:00 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I detect a tone of jealousy in you that youngsters can use/operate ORECKs with better results than some adults using them and other full size brands.  Have your joke here at their expense and ORECK.  But it doesn't change the fact that at 8-9 pounds ORECK is a wonderful vacuum tool/toy, call it what you will, to start youngsters into a home cleaning routine and keep them later as adult customers. 

Just as dyson copied ORECK with the retail store front venue, not saying it will be a success for dyson as it has for ORECK, you are envious that ORECK trumps dyson with a smaller, lighter, better vacuum product that is simple and easy even for pre-teens to use.  It's a priceless feature/life lesson for parents and their children to enjoy using ORECKs and continue doing so later.  Sorry you missed the opportunity.  Sure your son never had any interest in using your Rainbow.

Carmine D.

I am not jealous of anyone who uses an oreck.  Also I am not making fun of your grand children.  You on the other hand are teaching them bad habits.  If they are working they should be able to see the rewards of their labor.

For years you argued how superior hoover was and that it would be the demise of DYSON.  IT ain't happened.  However in desperation of finding a vac that cleaned better than DYSON you switched to oreck.

I recently purchased an XL Signature.  Same POS as the XL21.  Oh, the cord alone wieghs 9 lbs.

CarmineD

Reply #24   Dec 12, 2009 9:09 am
HS:

I still use and like my HOOVER TEMPO better than the ORECK.  Tho my dear WIfe luvs her ORECK.

Learning to vacuum at an early age is a good habit.  I didn't teach them.  Neither did their parents.  The oldest did it on her own to help her Mom.  Remember the post here when her younger sister dopped a flower pot on the stairs and dirt was all over.  Daughter was in the shower.  Oldest grand daughetr pulled out the DD hand vacuum to clean.  Would have past unnoticed if my daughter didn't see my oldest grand putting the DD away.  Well, oldest grand daughter graduated to the ORECK now.  And her sisters immitate her.  It's a joy, my daughter tells us.

Can the rest of your dribble.  Your envious.  It shows.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #25   Dec 12, 2009 9:23 am
How educational. Teaching girls to clean home. Do you have any grand sons?
CarmineD

Reply #26   Dec 13, 2009 6:38 am
vacmanuk wrote:
How educational. Teaching girls to clean home. Do you have any grand sons?

Vacmanuk:

Grand daughters: 3;  Grandsons 0 [so far].  From the appearances so far to date all 3 have the vacuum gene, which appears to have skipped a generation with my daughter, their Mother. 

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #27   Dec 14, 2009 5:09 am
The pre-mentioned Dyson store window display:-

CarmineD

Reply #28   Dec 14, 2009 6:53 am
M00seUK:

While this is interesting to see ONCE, and perhaps draw people to the window to view, it doesn't sell/appeal to female customers, many men, and married couples who consider buying a dyson product.  It appeals to a niche buying group not the masses.

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #29   Dec 14, 2009 10:35 am
M00seUK wrote:

While robots are cool, my first impression is why do you need a robot to sell vacuums?  Robots are expensive, and this one takes up a lot of floor space.   The first thing I would do is get rid of the robot.  Consumers want to test out the vacuums for themselves, not watch a robot use a vacuum.  If they are demonstrating handle strength, it could be accomplished with video feeds or videos made at the factory. If you keep the robot, at least set it up with a harness to test a Dyson against a competing model. 

Second, the Christmas tree is lacking cute little Dyson ornaments - miniature Dyson vacuums, washing machines, ball barrows, airblades etc.  with led's   Here's an invention for Dyson.   Have a set of LED Christmas lights that allows you to hook a translucent Dyson ornament over the led light.  

This message was modified Dec 14, 2009 by Severus

Acerone

Reply #30   Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm
It's about time... I hope they try this in the USA...
CarmineD

Reply #31   Dec 15, 2009 6:56 am
Severus wrote:
While robots are cool, my first impression is why do you need a robot to sell vacuums?  Robots are expensive, and this one takes up a lot of floor space.   The first thing I would do is get rid of the robot.  Consumers want to test out the vacuums for themselves, not watch a robot use a vacuum.  If they are demonstrating handle strength, it could be accomplished with video feeds or videos made at the factory. If you keep the robot, at least set it up with a harness to test a Dyson against a competing model. 

Second, the Christmas tree is lacking cute little Dyson ornaments - miniature Dyson vacuums, washing machines, ball barrows, airblades etc.  with led's   Here's an invention for Dyson.   Have a set of LED Christmas lights that allows you to hook a translucent Dyson ornament over the led light.  

The irony is the robot is probably made in China with no relevance to dyson.  Perhaps this can be verified by one of the posters here on the other side of the pond.

Agree with you SEVERUS, dyson should most surely decorate that tre and use dyson ornaments for the purpose.  That would in all likelihood draw couples with children into the store and spark more mass customer appeal and hopefully sales.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #32   Dec 15, 2009 7:09 am
M00seUK wrote:

Using a robot is an effective way in declaring and demonstrating Sir James Dyson is serious about his technologies (and about technology itself).  It also demonstrates Dyson vacuums can take a punishing.  Anyone within eyesight of this brut will know or learn ‘Dyson’ has taken residence here.  He’s the first to take advantage of a missed opportunity and he’s probably the first/one of the firsts with a brut-robot in retail...I like it.

It’s an in-your-face, one-off [w/ robot] store concept.  He’ll get 10‘x’s the foot-traffic attention than without.  I bet the local news camera’s will be lining up with this ‘robot in a store’ Christmas [free press] shopping story.  Dyson has been doing things like this for some time (creating events, demoing robots, demoing technological leadership, encouraging engineering)...It's genius and it's 'business as usual' for Dyson LTD.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Dec 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #33   Dec 15, 2009 7:20 am

chinese intelligent robot

Perhaps Sir James will borrow an "intelligent robot" from the Chinese to serve tea and crumpets to all the customers.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #34   Dec 15, 2009 7:36 am
CarmineD wrote:

chinese intelligent robot

Perhaps Sir James will borrow an "intelligent robot" from the Chinese to serve tea and crumpets to all the customers.

Carmine D.

With the money he'll be making from all the free press and exposure he could probably afford em.  Can an Oreck franchise store owner or a Miele Dealer brick and mortar say the same?

CarmineD

Reply #35   Dec 15, 2009 7:54 am
With the money he'll be making from all the free press and exposure he could probably afford em.  Can an Oreck franchise store owner or a Miele Dealer brick and mortar say the same?
Written by Dib-ster

The question is:  Why does it matter to ORECK and MIELE?  Both have seasoned established networks of franchised stores in the USA [ORECK] and Europe [MIELE].  And have for many years.  Dyson is trying to.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #36   Dec 15, 2009 11:19 am
CarmineD wrote:

The question is:  Why does it matter to ORECK and MIELE?  Both have seasoned established networks of franchised stores in the USA [ORECK] and Europe [MIELE].  And have for many years.  Dyson is trying to.

Carmine D.

Oh I really didn’t care, only I like to take shots at Oreck (corp) and Miele and their Dealers who do not fly straight (many of em).  It feels good.

Hey Miele Dealers, would ya be a pal....  would you mind posting the models of your top 3 money makers (bread and butter) and top 3 gougers (oops) I mean your highest margin vacuums.  And post the costs of bags, filters, belts, and the recommended maintenance schedules.  And what it costs in annual bag replacements so to maintain 100% suction, 100% of the time?

CarmineD

Reply #37   Dec 15, 2009 12:11 pm
DiB-ster wrote:
Oh I really didn’t care, only I like to take shots at Oreck (corp) and Miele and their Dealers who do not fly straight (many of em).  It feels good.

Hey Miele Dealers, would ya be a pal....  would you mind posting the models of your top 3 money makers (bread and butter) and top 3 gougers (oops) I mean your highest margin vacuums.  And post the costs of bags, filters, belts, and the recommended maintenance schedules.  And what it costs in annual bag replacements so to maintain 100% suction, 100% of the time?

The question is:  Why does a MIELE bagged vacuum, or for that matter any bagged vacuum canister/upright, need 100 percent suction 100 percent of the time to do a thorough and acceptable cleaning job?

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #38   Dec 15, 2009 1:04 pm
CarmineD wrote:

The question is:  Why does a MIELE bagged vacuum, or for that matter any bagged vacuum canister/upright, need 100 percent suction 100 percent of the time to do a thorough and acceptable cleaning job?

Carmine D.

Well, to make money/hang onto money for one (to stop or curb the)... 1) 'bags choke' and 2) "bags are better"- 'loosing argument' and 3) 'bags are loosing market share' - decimation.

For some, surviving on sardines is acceptable.  Acceptable = bags progressively perform worse (choke) than what their manufacturers advertise and claim.  "Acceptable"...I love it!

CarmineD

Reply #39   Dec 15, 2009 1:36 pm
DiB-ster wrote:
Well, to make money/hang onto money for one (to stop or curb the)... 1) 'bags choke' and 2) "bags are better"- 'loosing argument' and 3) 'bags are loosing market share' - decimation.

For some, surviving on sardines is acceptable.  "Acceptable"...I love it!  Acceptable = bags progressively perform worse (choke) than what their manufacturers advertise and claim.

The question is:  Why is vacuum suction, tho less than 100 percent 100 percent of the time, unable to provide a thorough and acceptable cleaning job 100 percent of the time? 

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #40   Dec 15, 2009 2:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The question is:  Why is vacuum suction, tho less than 100 percent 100 percent of the time, unable to provide a thorough and acceptable cleaning job 100 percent of the time? 

Carmine D.

It wouldn't matter to Dustmite if Miele's suction is greater than Dyson's from empty bag to full bag, it only matters that Dyson's suction is constant.    Dustmite has read Sir James' book, and he has been fully indoctrinated.  The only thing that matters is constant suction. 

This message was modified Dec 15, 2009 by Severus

vacmanuk

Reply #41   Dec 15, 2009 2:21 pm
DIB I can see where you're going with this but consider the following: 100% suction all of the time isn't neccessarily a good thing and I dont know why you want all that data to show bagless or Dyson is better than a bag because you argument is flawed; OF COURSE owning a Dyson or any bagless means in reality you'll never have to buy a bag but you will have to buy other consumables such as a BELT or FILTER in a Dyson's lifetime. That puts it in line with "conventional bagged" vacuums too But, for carpet wear especially Dyson uprights can be a bad thing determined on the quality of the bristles they put into their beater bars and secondly the abrasiveness or strength of the bristles in question. If the bristles are strong generally wouldn't it in THEORY mean more wear to carpet tread and pile as well as the 100% suction all of the time? Just how much of the carpet are you picking up versus actual dirt with a 100% suction all the time claim regardless of the strength of the beater bar fitted? Even with a flat head/suction only assisted floor head the threat of 100% suction all of the time can't be good for every carpet / material flooring. As for Miele, their market share is a lot larger than Dyson based on the fact that they make a lot more than just vacuums. Dyson tried with other avenues, trying to make a good go of their washing machines despite being the most expensive on the UK market. Despite their Contra-rotation sides and a good idea at the time, the company stopped it because they weren't making money = imagine, a company as revolutionary as Dyson having to stop a model with their name on it because it isn't making money.
mole

Reply #42   Dec 15, 2009 4:21 pm
Severus wrote:

It wouldn't to Dustmite if Miele's suction is greater than Dyson's from empty bag to full bag, it only matters that Dyson's suction is constant.    Dustmite has read Sir James' book, and he has been fully indoctrinated.  The only thing that matters is constant suction. 

It should be noted that if that was a real christmas tree with real pine needles, it would block up the chutes and elbows and airpaths on the dyson shown on display,as it would on any other vacuum thats  set up the same way,  I believe the consumer would care less about the constant suction garbage when it takes 5 hours to clean it out.OOPS anothjer dyson refurb.

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #43   Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm
mole wrote:
It wouldn't to Dustmite if Miele's suction is greater than Dyson's from empty bag to full bag, it only matters that Dyson's suction is constant.    Dustmite has read Sir James' book, and he has been fully indoctrinated.  The only thing that matters is constant suction. 

It should be noted that if that was a real christmas tree with real pine needles, it would block up the chutes and elbows and airpaths on the dyson shown on display,as it would on any other vacuum thats  set up the same way,  I believe the consumer would care less about the constant suction garbage when it takes 5 hours to clean it out.OOPS anothjer dyson refurb.

MOLE

Merry Mollie Christmas to you,

Lol.  I'm goin with 100% suction since this is what the masses understand and the number one reason they abandon the sack.

Dyson Invents Big

Severus

Reply #44   Dec 15, 2009 6:14 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

MOLE

Lol.  I'm goin with 100% suction since this is what the masses understand and the number one reason they abandon the sack.

Dyson Invents Big

Dustmite in Box,

Thank you for clearing that up.   It really helps to illuminate where you're coming from and your perspective.  Clearly no loss of suction is the only thing that matters to you. 
This message was modified Dec 16, 2009 by Severus

DysonInventsBig

Reply #45   Dec 15, 2009 7:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Cameron,

The consumer based sack-vac is near-dead in the U.S. and half-dead in the UK.  Let it go.

Dyson Invents Big

Lucky1

Reply #46   Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine D.

GOUGERS???? Is that like charging $450 for a $100 Malaysian vacuum. Seriously you have a problem with the price a dealer charges? Are you anti-capitalist? Do Dyson employees work for free? In addition, especially in this day and age VALUE is a commodity that should be worth something. Buying a disposable product in a box from some minimum wage unknowledgeable lackey that carries a warranty that is nearly impossible or costly or inconvient to collect SHOULD be cheap... whereas buying a quality product from a knowledgeable source that can repair and service said product should have value. Your too small minded to see it. Hope you don't gouge YOUR employer TOO MUCH.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #47   Dec 16, 2009 1:00 am
Lucky1 wrote:

GOUGERS???? Is that like charging $450 for a $100 Malaysian vacuum. Seriously you have a problem with the price a dealer charges? Are you anti-capitalist? Do Dyson employees work for free? In addition, especially in this day and age VALUE is a commodity that should be worth something. Buying a disposable product in a box from some minimum wage unknowledgeable lackey that carries a warranty that is nearly impossible or costly or inconvient to collect SHOULD be cheap... whereas buying a quality product from a knowledgeable source that can repair and service said product should have value. Your too small minded to see it. Hope you don't gouge YOUR employer TOO MUCH.

----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    ----

I'm just asking for a fair shot at your style of capitalism.  Turn-a-bout is fair play...I'd love to hammer on the high priced sack n chokes and the men behind them as you and your buddies do here of Mr. Dyson and the men behind him.

CarmineD

Reply #48   Dec 16, 2009 7:05 am
DiB-ster wrote:
Cameron,

The consumer based sack-vac is near-dead in the U.S. and half-dead in the UK.  Let it go.

Dyson Invents Big

DiB-ster:

I recommend you go back and reread the ASA findings WRT dyson's grievance filed against EUREKA/LUX Intensity.  You should be very familiar with the ASA findings and rulings since you posted here.  As I recall, correct me if I'm wrong, the ASA after evidence provided by an independent industry expert and EUREKA/LUX ruled that with a full bag of dirt the Intensity outcleaned a dyson DC14 with empty bin.  Keep in mind, the Intensity is a lightweight vacuum, has one of the smallest dust bags on the market and it beat out dyson's DC14 , a full sized with 100 percent suction.  I believe by over 60 percent better in performance.  As you can see, dyson with 100 percent suction 100 percent of the time was acceptable.  Intensity with a full bag and considerably less than 100 percent suction was superior by 60 percent.  What conclusions do you draw from this DiB-ster?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #49   Dec 16, 2009 7:19 am
DiB-ster wrote:
I'm just asking for a fair shot at your style of capitalism.  Turn-a-bout is fair play...I'd love to hammer on the high priced sack n chokes and the men behind them as you and your buddies do here of Mr. Dyson and the men behind him.

Is that because you can't deal logically with the product issues and their pros and cons?  So it's easier to create villains and attack personally and professionally.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #50   Dec 16, 2009 9:13 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

MOLE

Dyson Invents Big illusions.

Then please explain to the forum why the team of brain surgeons  had to cut back on the airwatts so the revolutionary cyclones a DYSON exclusive would not get overwhelmed by the extra suction. If it had double the airwatts would it have 200% of the suction all the time?.

Try and get your head around this before you answer.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #51   Dec 16, 2009 1:09 pm
mole wrote:

MOLE

MOLE:

Are you finding that dyson DC07 and DC14 models after age are problematic?  With these pieces and parts falling off and loosening during operations?  Leading to dust and dirty air leakage into the room,  loss of suction, and just a complete nuisance with keeping them on properly for users.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #52   Dec 16, 2009 2:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:

MOLE

MOLE:

Are you finding that dyson DC07 and DC14 models after age are problematic?  With these pieces and parts falling off and loosening during operations?  Leading to dust and dirty air leakage into the room,  loss of suction, and just a complete nuisance with keeping them on properly for users.

Carmine D.

Not sure of your specifics but I can tell you the so called LIFETIME HEPA filters do not last a Lifetime and when clogged the machines won't run. That's a pretty firm loss of suction right there.
CarmineD

Reply #53   Dec 17, 2009 6:42 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Not sure of your specifics but I can tell you the so called LIFETIME HEPA filters do not last a Lifetime and when clogged the machines won't run. That's a pretty firm loss of suction right there.

These findings are the bases for the ASA warnings to dyson to cease and desist on the 'exaggerated claims' of No loss of suction and never clogs else suffer consequences.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #54   Dec 17, 2009 4:53 pm
mole wrote:

Dyson Invents Big illusions.

Then please explain to the forum why the team of brain surgeons  had to cut back on the airwatts so the revolutionary cyclones a DYSON exclusive would not get overwhelmed by the extra suction. If it had double the airwatts would it have 200% of the suction all the time?.

Try and get your head around this before you answer.

MOLE

For me this topic is boring and that’s why I have not even bothered to learn the math.  Another way to say it is...  I can care less and I bet 99.99% of the U.S. population can care less too.

I would like to talk about what I believe interests all who walk into an independent...  Why a vacuum that is considered ‘nothing special’ in Europe, somehow, someway transforms into an exotic and is priced as an exotic (at dealerships) after taking the boat-ride over?

Turn-a-bout is fair play.

Dyson Invents Big

Lucky1

Reply #55   Dec 17, 2009 10:04 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

For me this topic is boring and that’s why I have not even bothered to learn the math.  Another way to say it is...  I can care less and I bet 99.99% of the U.S. population can care less too.

I would like to talk about what I believe interests all who walk into an independent...  Why a vacuum that is considered ‘nothing special’ in Europe, somehow, someway transforms into an exotic and is priced as an exotic (at dealerships) after taking the boat-ride over?

Dyson Invents Big

If your referring to the Miele it's because: They are made really well. There are issues with cord reels and dust channels on some older models but the newer ones have addressed the problem very well. They are an Excellent Company to deal with and have a good concept of the need for Independents and the service they provide (albeit they are testing the waters of large retailers and their own website sales that are getting close to being a problem). They are very technician friendly, (some I could work on blindfolded). They are repairable. They have easily redeemable Warranties. Customers generally don't have to box them up, pay for shipping and wait weeks for warranty work. Most models are made in Germany where Labor, Environment, Copyright, etc Laws are respected. They are also tied to a floating currency.
CarmineD

Reply #56   Dec 18, 2009 7:00 am
DiB-ster wrote:

Dyson Invents Big

The question is:  Do you really expect us to believe that you, of all, know what is of interest to USA indie shoppers?  

WRT your wondering how a brand is transformed magically by an ocean cruise, perhaps it's not the fault of the product that it is not valued and appreciated but the people/culture.  What do you think?  What does the Book say:  A prophet is not recognized in his own town.

You praise with adulation some Japanese customers/neighbors who get all warm and fuzzy inside over dyson's teeny tiny vacuum inventions.  Then laugh off the sophisticated value oriented customers who buy quality products with reputations for 20 years of service.  Where you stand is a result of where you sit. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2009 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #57   Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am
CarmineD wrote:

MOLE

MOLE:

Carmine D.

Carmine  sorry it took a while to reply to your question. The dc07/14 has held up on par with machines of  the same build quality such as panasonic,bissell, dirt devil,some hoover machines, bottom end sanitaires etc. All in all the dyson is sealed up very well it will take a few more years to see how much fatigue under normal use the housings can take, the plastic [brittle problem] looks to be corrected. Their biggest headache is still in the brushroll, bearing department. A true circuit breaker set up in the dc17 would of been a big plus, but for some reason they just wont go all the way in making the machine user friendly, I mean why use a geared tooth belt and no true circuit breaker.For the price of the breakers its cheap insurance and makes for a happier customer.

MOLE

vacmanuk

Reply #58   Dec 18, 2009 8:09 pm
MOLE: the reason they won't use a circuit breaker is for two reasons; in theory a toothed belt should last longer and if it doesn't then secondly it means a cost way of charging the Dyson owner if the model is out of warranty.
Venson

Reply #59   Dec 18, 2009 8:49 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
MOLE: the reason they won't use a circuit breaker is for two reasons; in theory a toothed belt should last longer and if it doesn't then secondly it means a cost way of charging the Dyson owner if the model is out of warranty.

Hi vacmanuk,

I think in this case if a brushroll driven with a toothed belt stalls due to some obstruction there is a strong possibility of burning out its drive motor if there is no circuit breaker to turn off the drive motor. The resulting damage is much more costly than just a belt replacement.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #60   Dec 19, 2009 6:53 am
mole wrote:

Carmine  sorry it took a while to reply to your question. The dc07/14 has held up on par with machines of  the same build quality such as panasonic,bissell, dirt devil,some hoover machines, bottom end sanitaires etc. All in all the dyson is sealed up very well it will take a few more years to see how much fatigue under normal use the housings can take, the plastic [brittle problem] looks to be corrected. Their biggest headache is still in the brushroll, bearing department. A true circuit breaker set up in the dc17 would of been a big plus, but for some reason they just wont go all the way in making the machine user friendly, I mean why use a geared tooth belt and no true circuit breaker.For the price of the breakers its cheap insurance and makes for a happier customer.

MOLE

Thanks MOLE.  Based on the pattern of discontinuance of ALL previous dyson upright models, service considerations are not in the dyson repertoire.  DC17 and DC27 are going the way of DC07 and DC14.  Gone.  Like the DC18 and on and on.  It's about new product sales and scrub repairs.  Lucky 1 made this observation here recently.  I agree with him.  That's the reason in large part dyson never warmed up to indies with its products and went the big box route right out of the gate here in the USA.  And also the emphasis on non-vacuum products of late. 

BTW, as you know the use of circuit breakers, fail safe switches etc, are features of better made and sold vacuum products.   

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #61   Dec 20, 2009 2:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks MOLE.  Based on the pattern of discontinuance of ALL previous dyson upright models, service considerations are not in the dyson repertoire.  DC17 and DC27 are going the way of DC07 and DC14.  Gone.  Like the DC18 and on and on.  It's about new product sales and scrub repairs.  Lucky 1 made this observation here recently.  I agree with him.  That's the reason in large part dyson never warmed up to indies with its products and went the big box route right out of the gate here in the USA.  And also the emphasis on non-vacuum products of late. 

BTW, as you know the use of circuit breakers, fail safe switches etc, are features of better made and sold vacuum products.   

Carmine D.

You're full of crap.  You need your own shop.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Dec 20, 2009 2:41 pm
DiB-ster:

Been there done that:  Owned and operated my own vacuum cleaner sales and service store.  For 42 plus years.  How about you?

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #63   Dec 20, 2009 7:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DiB-ster:

Been there done that:  Owned and operated my own vacuum cleaner sales and service store.  For 42 plus years.  How about you?

Carmine D.

Forty two years buys you what?  The right to lie of good product and good men?  As a dog returns to it vomit...  you keep lying, as do many in your small niche industry.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Dec 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Severus

Reply #64   Dec 20, 2009 10:48 pm
Carmine wrote:

DysonInventsBig (aka Dustmite) wrote:

You're full of crap.  You need your own shop.

Dustmite,

Are you saying that you don't have a problem with a $400-$600 vacuum leaving out features like circuit breakers to protect the motor?  To me it's a sign that Dyson is not doing their homework.   These aren't state of the art features being left out.  These are features that have been around for a very long time, and for good reason.  

Tom Gasko once said that Dyson really needed to hire a vacuum historian so that they would avoid making stupid design mistakes (I'm paraphrasing, he was a little more diplomatic).   It sounds like Tom was right on the money. 

CarmineD

Reply #65   Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Forty two years buys you what?  The right to lie of good product and good men?  As a dog returns to it vomit...  you keep lying, as do many in your small niche industry.

Dyson Invents Big

DiB-ster:

Vacuums were a vocation for me for over 42 years, not a job.  How about you?  No need to lie.  The products, the men who make/sell speak for themselves.  I'm not saying I'm better than anyone in the vacuum world.  I'm saying I discovered the truth about the vacuum industry after 55 plus years of experience and don't buy into marketing propaganda and shill speak.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #66   Dec 21, 2009 6:55 am
Severus wrote:

Dustmite,

Are you saying that you don't have a problem with a $400-$600 vacuum leaving out features like circuit breakers to protect the motor?  To me it's a sign that Dyson is not doing their homework.   These aren't state of the art features being left out.  These are features that have been around for a very long time, and for good reason.  

Tom Gasko once said that Dyson really needed to hire a vacuum historian so that they would avoid making stupid design mistakes (I'm paraphrasing, he was a little more diplomatic).   It sounds like Tom was right on the money. 

Agree, SEVERUS, better made/sold vacuums at the same price/less dyson vacuums have these inexpensive and simple features.  For the good of the product and the customers. 

I also agree with Tom Gasko.  Dyson lacks the historical knowledge of the vacuum industry needed to prevent making the same mistakes and misques as those who went before.  

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #67   Dec 21, 2009 8:53 am
Dib, I can understand your enthusiasm about your employer, but facts are facts take a dc17 and stall the brush rollor suck up a sock or rag into it. Please report back with your findings. Unfortuneatly in real world applications this happens a lot and damage does occur.

B.T.W how are the canister sales going? have not heard too much fanfare about them anywhere.

Carmine and Severus are right Dysons overpriced,mediocre performance, not user friendly,service centers are not there, With all the millions that Sir James has made you think its time to give back a little????????

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #68   Dec 21, 2009 5:30 pm
mole wrote:
Dib, I can understand your enthusiasm about your employer, but facts are facts take a dc17 and stall the brush rollor suck up a sock or rag into it. Please report back with your findings. Unfortuneatly in real world applications this happens a lot and damage does occur.

B.T.W how are the canister sales going? have not heard too much fanfare about them anywhere.

Carmine and Severus are right Dysons overpriced,mediocre performance, not user friendly,service centers are not there, With all the millions that Sir James has made you think its time to give back a little????????

MOLE

Wouldn’t it be beneficial for the lying independent to have some Dyson work, warranty or otherwise?  I do wonder if Dyson LTD has no alternative but to ‘throw some occasional work’ at these gnome’s and trolls.

My DC15 has never burnt-out a brushroll motor, even when it's sucked up a sock. - Or course I shut it down immediately.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Dec 21, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

M00seUK

Reply #69   Dec 21, 2009 5:51 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Wouldn’t it be beneficial for the lying independent to have some Dyson work, warranty or otherwise?  I do wonder if Dyson LTD has no alternative but to ‘throw some occasional work’ at these gnome’s and trolls.

My DC15 has never burnt-out a brushroll motor, even when it's sucked up a sock. - Or course I shut it down immediately.

Dyson Invents Big

The DC15 has a circuit breaker and works well. The point being is that other Dyson models don't and is the alternative they employ just as good or not?
DysonInventsBig

Reply #70   Dec 21, 2009 5:59 pm
M00seUK wrote:
The DC15 has a circuit breaker and works well. The point being is that other Dyson models don't and is the alternative they employ just as good or not?

I never looked.  I've not looked at the DC17 either.

mole

Reply #71   Dec 21, 2009 6:36 pm
The dc15 has a circuit board that controls the motor in the brushbar head,Its not a true circuit breaker,it has to be replaced as a unit ,the dc15 uses a gear drive to drive the rollor.

Hoovers dual V machines used a similar set up and are just as finicky and problematic as the dc15.The 17 was a step in the right direction with the timing belt with the teeth.

Its also not a true breaker but a heat sensor that  senses motor temp sort of like a thermal fuse line.Any way  it was a nice try.Ask panasonic how this worked out on the whispertones powerhead  

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #72   Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm
mole wrote:

MOLE

Be sure that no one is wearing the sock.  Dang it mole. Do you want DIB to hurt someone?
Acerone

Reply #73   Feb 2, 2010 1:54 pm
Any word on how the store is doing. [img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/26/article-1238543-07B0FB40000005DC-88_468x323.jpg[/img]
M00seUK

Reply #74   Feb 2, 2010 2:21 pm
Someone I know said they heard the store would be staying open, although there's no source to clarify that with (and said person has no connection with Dyson).
CarmineD

Reply #75   Feb 2, 2010 3:58 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Someone I know said they heard the store would be staying open, although there's no source to clarify that with (and said person has no connection with Dyson).

FWIW, in the states, stores have to enter and in cases pay in advance a portion of the lease term for store space.  If it closes, it will probably be after the lease term expires.  Store leases read that the tenant/lessee is still liable for the rent even if it closes before the lease term expires.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 2, 2010 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #76   Feb 2, 2010 6:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
FWIW, in the states, stores have to enter and in cases pay in advance a portion of the lease term for store space.  If it closes, it will probably be after the lease term expires.  Store leases read that the tenant/lessee is still liable for the rent even if it closes before the lease term expires.

Carmine D.

You have a point. Maybe Dyson had an agreement with the landlord to trial the site for a number of months and then the option to commit to a long-term contract if they decided to stay beyond that.
It's quite common to see retail units being advertised for short-term rents. For example the town near me has shop locations with leases offered by the week / month.
CarmineD

Reply #77   Feb 2, 2010 8:07 pm
M00seUK wrote:
You have a point. Maybe Dyson had an agreement with the landlord to trial the site for a number of months and then the option to commit to a long-term contract if they decided to stay beyond that.
It's quite common to see retail units being advertised for short-term rents. For example the town near me has shop locations with leases offered by the week / month.

Thank you and one now for you.  Since my last post on visiting the dyson site, I purchased/installed a new computer to replace a 6 year old which lost its hard drive suddenly.  Using the click, drag and drop method you suggested I am able to view the other countries for dyson's markets.  Thank you for suggesting it.  Tho it didn't work at the time, I suspect due to the limitations of the computer, it surely does now. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #78   Nov 20, 2010 8:39 am
Just curious on how well this dyson store is panning out.  Any news/updates to report here on the success of this concept store for dyson in the UK?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #79   Nov 20, 2010 5:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Just curious on how well this dyson store is panning out.  Any news/updates to report here on the success of this concept store for dyson in the UK?

Carmine D.

Bless you for the topic Carmine. I was much, much in need of comic relief today.

Check out http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/13/industrial-robot-arm-pretends-to-do-chores-in-dysons-london-pop/ AND be sure to turn comments "on". Things get interesting. From what I gathered, it was merely a temporary venture until January 25th of this year. I hope this is an error on my part.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #80   Nov 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Venson wrote:
Bless you for the topic Carmine. I was much, much in need of comic relief today.

Check out http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/13/industrial-robot-arm-pretends-to-do-chores-in-dysons-london-pop/ AND be sure to turn comments "on". Things get interesting. From what I gathered, it was merely a temporary venture until January 25th of this year. I hope this is an error on my part.

Venson

Hi Venson:

We both read this the same way.  Gone out of business. 

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #81   Nov 21, 2010 7:11 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

We both read this the same way.  Gone out of business. 

Carmine D. 

In due respect for he concept of a pop-up store, it is not meant to have long life.  Just 5-6 weeks.  As this dyson store.  The real meat of the matter will be if dyson returns again this year with the pop up store for the holidays stocked with kitchen ware appliances, as suggested in other threads. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #82   Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
In due respect for he concept of a pop-up store, it is not meant to have long life.  Just 5-6 weeks.  As this dyson store.  The real meat of the matter will be if dyson returns again this year with the pop up store for the holidays stocked with kitchen ware appliances, as suggested in other threads. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

As expected.....a pop up store ....no more no less.....so much more can be had at far less.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #83   Nov 22, 2010 5:01 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

As expected.....a pop up store ....no more no less.....so much more can be had at far less.

turtle

Hello turtle:

Interestingly I received an email from dyson today with their latest for dyson owners with pets:  DC23 and 24 animal models.  Doesn't look good for anything new coming from dyson this year except for DC33 and DC35 both variations on the same old dyson theme with a tad more spin and marketing.  I admit $319 for dyson's DC33 Muti-floor is more reasonable than DC 07 and 14, both scrubbed.  I expect as the holiday season ramps up DC33 prices will come down more.  I note that the 20 percent discounts from Bed Bath and Beyond no longer excludes dyson purchases.  Applies now to all dyson products too.  I recall several years ago when BB&B tried this, dyson had a hissy fit and made them exclude dysons from the discounts.  No more.  Shades of Wal*Mart.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 22, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #84   Nov 23, 2010 3:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello turtle:

Interestingly I received an email from dyson today with their latest for dyson owners with pets:  DC23 and 24 animal models.  Doesn't look good for anything new coming from dyson this year except for DC33 and DC35 both variations on the same old dyson theme with a tad more spin and marketing.  I admit $319 for dyson's DC33 Muti-floor is more reasonable than DC 07 and 14, both scrubbed.  I expect as the holiday season ramps up DC33 prices will come down more.  I note that the 20 percent discounts from Bed Bath and Beyond no longer excludes dyson purchases.  Applies now to all dyson products too.  I recall several years ago when BB&B tried this, dyson had a hissy fit and made them exclude dysons from the discounts.  No more.  Shades of Wal*Mart.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Agree .....gotta do discounts to move dysons....but so much more is available at a fraction of the dyson price for a far better deep clean and longer lasting product.....been proven time and time again......dyson is only playing catch up with far lower priced and superior cleaning units....as always...need more be said Carmine? 

CarmineD

Reply #85   Nov 23, 2010 4:38 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Agree .....gotta do discounts to move dysons....but so much more is available at a fraction of the dyson price for a far better deep clean and longer lasting product.....been proven time and time again......dyson is only playing catch up with far lower priced and superior cleaning units....as always...need more be said Carmine? 

Dyson is quickly becoming a niche vacuum maker/seller.  What it always should have been has been forced on it despite all dyson's spin and marketing to declare itself a mainstream seller.  Never was.  Which is not a bad thing.  Except dyson can't afford to pay 500 engineers for niche vacuums.  Hence the push by dyson to expand into hand driers and fans.  And if we can believe the dyson fans here kitchen appliances.  Will the latter pan out?  Hasn't so far and not looking good IMHO.  So what's next for the illustrious dyson.  Dig in and resort/resign itself to a niche vacuum brand and market: It's bread and butter.  And revamp prices down after firing 400 of its high paid engineers and who knows how many lawyers to defend its patents.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #86   Nov 24, 2010 9:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
Dyson is quickly becoming a niche vacuum maker/seller.  What it always should have been has been forced on it despite all dyson's spin and marketing to declare itself a mainstream seller.  Never was.  Which is not a bad thing.  Except dyson can't afford to pay 500 engineers for niche vacuums.  Hence the push by dyson to expand into hand driers and fans.  And if we can believe the dyson fans here kitchen appliances.  Will the latter pan out?  Hasn't so far and not looking good IMHO.  So what's next for the illustrious dyson.  Dig in and resort/resign itself to a niche vacuum brand and market: It's bread and butter.  And revamp prices down after firing 400 of its high paid engineers and who knows how many lawyers to defend its patents.

Carmine D.

The vacuum cleaner by Dyson wasn't the first actual Dyson, Carmine, so it isn't particularly true that because of the vacuum cleaners, their expertise should be brought into question. Again this seems to be a challenging view by U.S versus U.K and the U.S seem to only have got the vacuums and nothing else in their range. A company that becomes established in the UK can become a major player overnight - buyers aren't impressed by price alone - Miele's larger household appliances in the U.K are a prime example of this. Although they are good, they are largely overpriced and despite some of their appliances like their washing machines than can have "updated software" by going online, it doesn't really impress many buyers if the cost price is too high. Dyson's vacuum cleaners have always been a niche marketing idea from the cyclone suction system (whether you choose to agree with me or not) in the same way that Miele, SEBO and BOSCH offer better quality build, efficiency, design and performance at higher prices. I know which brands I prefer - but without their cyclone suction "technology," Dyson would be dead in the water, or at best play along with other brands offering paper pleated cones that need to be cleaned after every use to keep the suction going.
CarmineD

Reply #87   Nov 24, 2010 3:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
The vacuum cleaner by Dyson wasn't the first actual Dyson, Carmine, so it isn't particularly true that because of the vacuum cleaners, their expertise should be brought into question. Again this seems to be a challenging view by U.S versus U.K and the U.S seem to only have got the vacuums and nothing else in their range. A company that becomes established in the UK can become a major player overnight - buyers aren't impressed by price alone - Miele's larger household appliances in the U.K are a prime example of this. Although they are good, they are largely overpriced and despite some of their appliances like their washing machines than can have "updated software" by going online, it doesn't really impress many buyers if the cost price is too high. Dyson's vacuum cleaners have always been a niche marketing idea from the cyclone suction system (whether you choose to agree with me or not) in the same way that Miele, SEBO and BOSCH offer better quality build, efficiency, design and performance at higher prices. I know which brands I prefer - but without their cyclone suction "technology," Dyson would be dead in the water, or at best play along with other brands offering paper pleated cones that need to be cleaned after every use to keep the suction going.

Hi Vacmanuk:

Here in the US, dyson launched vacuums in April 2002.  Vacuums have been its mainstay and primarily in big box store venues for sales.  Service and parts done by the indies.

As I recall, dyson launched its CR in 2000 in UK.  Redid it as CR02 and re-launched in 2004 again.  Pulled off the market in 2005 with a meager 1900 unit sales and not reentered the appliance market since the CR02.  I suspect Brits are more loyal to the brand due to Sir James.  I believe based on my observations and info that dyson sales have tanked in the US since the recession hit and the US housing market collapsed. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #88   Nov 24, 2010 6:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Vacmanuk:

Here in the US, dyson launched vacuums in April 2002.  Vacuums have been its mainstay and primarily in big box store venues for sales.  Service and parts done by the indies.

As I recall, dyson launched its CR in 2000 in UK.  Redid it as CR02 and re-launched in 2004 again.  Pulled off the market in 2005 with a meager 1900 unit sales and not reentered the appliance market since the CR02.  I suspect Brits are more loyal to the brand due to Sir James.  I believe based on my observations and info that dyson sales have tanked in the US since the recession hit and the US housing market collapsed. 

Carmine D.

Maytag were similar in the UK. They appeared for about three years then disappeared following their takeover with Whirlpool and since then no vacuum cleaners, just the larger household appliances. Even one of their vacuums was a best buy rated by Which.
CarmineD

Reply #89   Nov 25, 2010 7:36 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Maytag were similar in the UK. They appeared for about three years then disappeared following their takeover with Whirlpool and since then no vacuum cleaners, just the larger household appliances. Even one of their vacuums was a best buy rated by Which.

Maytag had almost 70 years of history in appliance production and sales in the USA before it tackled the UK market.  I supect the vacuum was a HOOVER USA with Maytag name plate, common occurence here in the US before Whirlpool acquired Maytag/HOOVER brand.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #90   Nov 25, 2010 9:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Maytag had almost 70 years of history in appliance production and sales in the USA before it tackled the UK market.  I supect the vacuum was a HOOVER USA with Maytag name plate, common occurence here in the US before Whirlpool acquired Maytag/HOOVER brand.

Carmine D.

Well, you may recognise it as a Hoover in the U.S. This was the Maytag U5131 that we had in the U.K:

CarmineD

Reply #91   Nov 26, 2010 7:46 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, you may recognise it as a Hoover in the U.S. This was the Maytag U5131 that we had in the U.K:

Yes Sir : HOOVER Power Max.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 26, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #92   Nov 26, 2010 3:21 pm
An updated pic of the latest version of the HOOVER Power Max approximately year 2000.  I believe it is called the Power Max 11 Model U5242.

Hoover Powermax U5242-930 Vacuum 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 26, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #93   Nov 26, 2010 6:03 pm
Ooh, thanks for that Carmine!
CarmineD

Reply #94   Nov 27, 2010 7:27 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Ooh, thanks for that Carmine!

Power Max is probably one of the best recent made and sold HOOVER uprights on the market.  Know some satisfied users who have had them for years and years with little service except for a belt and paper bags. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 94 of 94View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42