Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 137 - 146 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
nick_sub

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #137   Dec 1, 2009 1:28 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Another question M00seUK since you seem to be in the know:  Are they in the USA other than the dyson web site?  I mentioned I was in Orange County, CA and thought due to the warm year round temps, it might be there.  But...No.  Nothing dyson in fact there.  Even here in the desert of LV, where we've had one of the 10 warmest Novembers in weather history, no new dyson fans anywhere.  So, until its here and available for sale, I can't really evaluate its success among retailers and buyers, as Ross Cameron was able to do.

Strangely they went on sale in the UK today via the Dyson website, despite it being the coldest day of the winter so far! I'm sure they'll still shift a few though...
Venson

Reply #138   Dec 1, 2009 2:13 pm
nick_sub wrote:
Strangely they went on sale in the UK today via the Dyson website, despite it being the coldest day of the winter so far! I'm sure they'll still shift a few though...

The link for dealer info is here: http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans/fanStores.asp

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #139   Dec 1, 2009 2:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello M00seUK:

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear dyson is experiencing initial success for this product thanks to timing, a warm November, and excellent marketing. 

The vet with birds who shied away from fans with blades and raves about the dyson fan is a good endorsement for the product.

Carmine D.

So...how much is this dyson fan gonna cost.....in the U.S.
Trebor

Reply #140   Dec 1, 2009 3:14 pm
Why was the Airblade a failure? seemed an excellent idea to me.
M00seUK

Reply #141   Dec 1, 2009 3:31 pm
Trebor wrote:
Why was the Airblade a failure? seemed an excellent idea to me.

In context of the article above, it's referring to a failure discovered during the development of the airblade product which lead to a chain of thoughts towards a new desktop fan design.
M00seUK

Reply #142   Dec 1, 2009 6:09 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi M00seUK,

Thank you, it was a nice article BUT where are the numbers? Also, for the sake of correctness, this device is a fan without exposed external blades.

Venson

The exact numbers would be lovely, but I think it will be a cold day in hell before Dyson goes public and they're otherwise unlikely to share such data with us. But to say that based on this, their fan sales are looking fairly positive for the moment. If they can carve out a certain niche with those eye-watering margins, it won't be a bad return on 3-year's R&D, building on the digital motor / airblade work. The 'halo effect' PR-wise has to be good for their overall profile and the other product lines also.

Yep, of all the feedback I've seen on the Dyson fan - blog comments, tweets on on Twitter, the most common self-congratual point is the correction that it actually still uses a 'fan blade', just one inside the casing. To be expected, but kinda missing the point that by 'blade less' they mean it doesn't have a large blade up top, spinning in a cage, chopping up the air that's 'thrown' at you. The smaller-sized digital motor makes this part-way feasible, but the additional (crucial) benefit is that overall construction puts out around 15 times more air force than it pulls in via that 'little blade'. That's quite difficult to get across to folks, hence why Dyson has put a lot of effort in to diagrams and animations. It's even supposed to 'feel' better in cooling, as the airflow is more uniform.
CarmineD

Reply #143   Dec 1, 2009 7:01 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
So...how much is this dyson fan gonna cost.....in the U.S.

Hello turtle1:

If the Business Week article I posted above can be believed, the retail prices of the dyson fans, once they hit the big box stores in the USA, will be comparable to the current competition which sell for $70 or so.  That's a huge decline from the existing $300. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #144   Dec 2, 2009 7:24 am
M00seUK wrote:
In context of the article above, it's referring to a failure discovered during the development of the airblade product which lead to a chain of thoughts towards a new desktop fan design.

Hello Trebor:

The article is sub titled: Flaw as function.  Here is the crux of the story on the reason why.

Dyson says the device came out of a defect in the Airblade, the energy-efficient hand drier for public restrooms that his company, Dyson, launched in 2006. Despite its jet-like exhaust, engineers noticed that the machine was trapping a lot of air inside. "We had no intention to make a fan," he says. "But the failure made us curious. We asked, What could we do with this high-speed air?"

Dyson and his staff studied the air flow, which was akin to a comfortable breeze. They thought they could harness the wind, but it didn't really apply to any existing products. So they moved on to consider what other everyday household products could be improved if they generated a focused breeze. They decided on the typical electric fan, which uses rotating blades to hack air into pieces that are then propelled at an uneven pace.

Interestingly both the dyson Airblade and AirMultiplier resulted from research and products of other intentions/inventions:  The dyson digital motor [AirBlade] and hand dryer [Air Multiplier].  Business gurus who study and advise on such things, tell us that success with new product development and technologies is tricky if not done properly.  With the best long term results achieved when companies share the new technologies and products with consumers and receive feedback about them.  With the feedback incorporated into the final versions for market.  We were told that dyson did this with his vacuums and in fact used consumers to test and trial his vacuum wares before mass marketing.  We also know that he did not follow the same course with dyson's Airblade and Air Multiplier.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #145   Dec 2, 2009 7:34 am
For those interested, Lev Grossman, the inventions' editor for Time magazine, announces the top best inventions for 2009 in this video.

http://bx.businessweek.com/designthinkingsocialenterprise/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.time.com%2Ftime%2Fspecials%2Fpackages%2F0%2C28757%2C1934027%2C00.html

No... dyson does not get mentioned, tho his bladeless fan was part of the mix for evaluation.  Scroll down to the block titled Video: Best Inventions for 2009 and click on more. 

Enjoy.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 2, 2009 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #146   Dec 2, 2009 9:32 am
Anyone really surprised by this ?

Dyson has not made anything that worked right since the dc07, and that was flawed. Welcome to the real world Mr inventor.

So how long will it take for the airblades to be sold on E-BAY at fire sale prices?

Why dont you guys try a reverse osmosis water system, Good luck, 

We told you so 5 years ago.

Hey DIB have you started your new management job at BURGER KING yet.

Dyson= FAIL

regards

MOLE

Replies: 137 - 146 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42