Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 127 - 136 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #127   Oct 20, 2009 8:25 pm
"...A vacuum with "power steering" would probably be great for you or me but a disaster on the larger market. There's too much to go wrong, especially in the hands of careless users and those impatient persons who never read user guides. Unfortunately, it is generally accepted that all you need do is plug in your machine and go. To make a vacuum with an electrified steering system could be done I'm sure but to make an appliance that's impervious to it's greatest threat, being in the hands of humans, probably can never be executed in a cost-effective manner. These ideas are probably best left to the robot makers..."

Sorry Venson but you've totally lost me on this rather large statement. Power steering you say? Like the geared mechanism self drive formula on Kirby vacuums or mostly self driven others that seem to only be high sellers in the U.S? About the only thing that has a similar drive mechanism in most of Europe and UK is of course, the Sebo X uprights or Sebo's commercial uprights - and these have been on sale, in large numbers on the commercial market since the 1970s. Or power steering of another nature?
Venson

Reply #128   Oct 20, 2009 8:34 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
&quot;...A vacuum with &quot;power steering&quot; would probably be great for you or me but a disaster on the larger market. There's too much to go wrong, especially in the hands of careless users and those impatient persons who never read user guides. Unfortunately, it is generally accepted that all you need do is plug in your machine and go. To make a vacuum with an electrified steering system could be done I'm sure but to make an appliance that's impervious to it's greatest threat, being in the hands of humans, probably can never be executed in a cost-effective manner. These ideas are probably best left to the robot makers...&quot;<BR><BR>Sorry Venson but you've totally lost me on this rather large statement. Power steering you say? Like the geared mechanism self drive formula on Kirby vacuums or mostly self driven others that seem to only be high sellers in the U.S? About the only thing that has a similar drive mechanism in most of Europe and UK is of course, the Sebo X uprights or Sebo's commercial uprights - and these have been on sale, in large numbers on the commercial market since the 1970s. Or power steering of another nature?

Hi vacumanuk,

I was referring to Motorhead's mention of a vacuum being developed with servo motors to enhance it ability to be turned left or right. Kirby and some Hoover vacuums do not have a steering capacity but are indeed self-propelled in that their transmissions move them forward and backward.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #129   Oct 21, 2009 2:11 pm
Venson wrote:
Darn it DIB, why won't you please share some of that stuff you're on? It's so selfish to fire up the pipe and not pass it around! A toot or two of whatever it is that's got you flying might do us all some good too.

Speaking for myself, Tom Gasko is someone I also have high respect for. When it gets down to vacuums, he knows his stuff. He's the only vacuum person I know who can quote a Rexair's place in time just by way of a serial number

In general the cloth of this forum is composed of persons who sell and repair vacuums or have had long involvement in taking note of their history and progression developmentally OR have used them at least long enough to tell one end from the other.

I don't always agree with Tom or MOLE or Carmine or Procare or Mike W. or Dusty or any number of members in this forum but I see no particular reason for prolonged debate on most issues. Why? Because we have had real talks about real vacuums for a number of years at this forum and others before it. I have the greatest trust that their opinions are solidly founded on their experience and knowledge -- not just whimsical fancy.

Venson as Venson

I have a lot to say about you goofs dumping on Tom.  I've learned more from Tom in 20 minutes than the 2 years from visiting and reading vacuum cleaner forums.  Are there any bad-mouthed, big-mouthed want-a-be’s here or elsewhere who prove bigger (close to the pulse) than Tom?...  Anyone here have the top-brass backing from a $200m corporation and the top-brass trust of a $1b dollar corporation?  Like I said, many of you guys are...  Goofs.

DIB

P.S.  I have not talked to the man in a few years, although I enjoy Motorhead’s posts.

This message was modified Oct 21, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #130   Oct 21, 2009 3:08 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
I have a lot to say about you goofs dumping on Tom.  I've learned more from Tom in 20 minutes than the 2 years from visiting and reading vacuum cleaner forums.  Are there any bad-mouthed, big-mouthed want-a-be’s here or elsewhere who prove bigger (close to the pulse) than Tom?...  Anyone here have the top-brass backing from a $200m corporation and the top-brass trust of a $1b dollar corporation?  Like I said, many of you guys are...  Goofs.

DIB

P.S.  I have not talked to the man in a few years, although I enjoy Motorhead’s posts.

DIB (Dust mite in box),

I think it's great the success that Tom has had.  Tom is a great vacuum historian.  I can admire Tom without agreeing with everything he says.  I would say that I agree with him on more than I disagree with him on. 

I agree that you should find a way to spend more time with Tom so that you could get educated.   

Please explain this stuff about top-brass backing from a $200m corporation and the top-brass trust of a $1b dollar corporation.  What exactly do you mean by backing?   That's the problem with you, you write meaningless fluff.  Tom provides some concrete details.   We need a better Dyson rep on this forum. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #131   Oct 21, 2009 4:57 pm
Severus wrote:
DIB (Dust mite in box),

I think it's great the success that Tom has had.  Tom is a great vacuum historian.  I can admire Tom without agreeing with everything he says.  I would say that I agree with him on more than I disagree with him on. 

I agree that you should find a way to spend more time with Tom so that you could get educated.   

Please explain this stuff about top-brass backing from a $200m corporation and the top-brass trust of a $1b dollar corporation.  What exactly do you mean by backing?   That's the problem with you, you write meaningless fluff.  Tom provides some concrete details.   We need a better Dyson rep on this forum. 

Peter Pan,

What you need can only be found with extensive therapy, but that would mean giving up on fantasy, deceiving and playing children's-roles.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #132   Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

DIB

Dyson DIB:

More proof and a self-admission that you have much more to learn about vacuums and all things related to them.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #133   Dec 1, 2009 6:26 am
News of some inital, positive results in Oz for the mighty Dyson marketing machine:-

Retailers help make Dyson Air Multiplier number one
http://www.current.com.au/2009/12/01/article/WCXCMFVYHB.html

Current.com.au understands the Dyson Air Multiplier has already become the number one product on the seasonal value charts. Cameron said the retailers had been great, supporting the product since the first shipments arrived...

The success of the Air Multiplier has confounded some critics, with observers at launch questioning whether a seasonal product with such a premium price tag could be successful. The lesson to be learned from this experience is that new technology, different technology and well-marketed technology will sell, no matter how expensive it is...

CarmineD

Reply #134   Dec 1, 2009 7:25 am
M00seUK wrote:
News of some inital, positive results in Oz for the mighty Dyson marketing machine:-

Retailers help make Dyson Air Multiplier number one
http://www.current.com.au/2009/12/01/article/WCXCMFVYHB.html

Current.com.au understands the Dyson Air Multiplier has already become the number one product on the seasonal value charts. Cameron said the retailers had been great, supporting the product since the first shipments arrived...

The success of the Air Multiplier has confounded some critics, with observers at launch questioning whether a seasonal product with such a premium price tag could be successful. The lesson to be learned from this experience is that new technology, different technology and well-marketed technology will sell, no matter how expensive it is...

Hello M00seUK:

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear dyson is experiencing initial success for this product thanks to timing, a warm November, and excellent marketing. 

The vet with birds who shied away from fans with blades and raves about the dyson fan is a good endorsement for the product.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #135   Dec 1, 2009 11:47 am
Hi M00seUK,

Thank you, it was a nice article BUT where are the numbers? Also, for the sake of correctness, this device is a fan without exposed external blades.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #136   Dec 1, 2009 12:16 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi M00seUK,

Thank you, it was a nice article BUT where are the numbers? Also, for the sake of correctness, this device is a fan without exposed external blades.

Venson

Another question M00seUK since you seem to be in the know:  Are they in the USA other than the dyson web site?  I mentioned I was in Orange County, CA and thought due to the warm year round temps, it might be there.  But...No.  Nothing dyson in fact there.  Even here in the desert of LV, where we've had one of the 10 warmest Novembers in weather history, no new dyson fans anywhere.  So, until its here and available for sale, I can't really evaluate its success among retailers and buyers, as Ross Cameron was able to do.

It appears from this Business Week article that the new dyson fan will not be available in the USA until March 2010.  Some other interesting comments by Sir James about the 'failure of the Airblade" and current revenue for dyson $1B yearly.  A systematic yearly decline either a result of aggressive costs for R&D and drop off in unit sales and/or both.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2009/id20091012_148303.htm?chan=innovation_innovation+%2B+design_product+design

Enjoy. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 127 - 136 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42