Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 147 - 156 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #147   Dec 2, 2009 12:48 pm
mole wrote:
Anyone really surprised by this ?

Dyson has not made anything that worked right since the dc07, and that was flawed. Welcome to the real world Mr inventor.

So how long will it take for the airblades to be sold on E-BAY at fire sale prices?

Why dont you guys try a reverse osmosis water system, Good luck, 

We told you so 5 years ago.

Hey DIB have you started your new management job at BURGER KING yet.

Dyson= FAIL

regards

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

Interestingly, at least to me, dyson's USA site does not provide any prices for its AirBlades.  Instead after navigating through the ads and endorsements, the reader,buyer finally gets this suggestion if desiring to buy:

Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer

Call 1-888-DYSON-AB now to order.

We know that the original MSRP was $1400 and its cost to produce about $840.  If we can believe the Forbes article in March 2008, and Sir James who was interviewed for the article, 100,000 were sold up thru then and 1000 gifted away.  Haven't seen any updates here to those numbers and as M00seUK suggests we probably won't.  We can only speculate the reasons for the secrecy.  However, knowing what I have read and seen here about all things dyson, I presume if the sales of the AirBlades are doing well, we'd have the news reports, sales and revenue numbers and endorsements saying exactly what they are.  Draw your own conclusions.

I have yet to see any dyson AirBlade anywhere in Las Vegas and/or in my travels in the USA.  While dyson's site says the LA Dodgers in California bought and use them, the equally famous Anaheim Angels Stadium in Anaheim California does not.  As I mentioned, despite all the tourists, baseball fans, and travellers to Orange County CA for the Angels games, California Adventure and Disney Theme Parks nothing there about any dyson products.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #148   Dec 2, 2009 1:57 pm
mole wrote:
Anyone really surprised by this ?

Dyson has not made anything that worked right since the dc07, and that was flawed. Welcome to the real world Mr inventor.

So how long will it take for the airblades to be sold on E-BAY at fire sale prices?

Why dont you guys try a reverse osmosis water system, Good luck, 

We told you so 5 years ago.

Hey DIB have you started your new management job at BURGER KING yet.

Dyson= FAIL

regards

MOLE

Mole,

Well, I see you came up for some fresh air and some sunshine.  Don’t over doit so you don’t burn.

I like Sir James’ world.  I bet he sees plenty of "real-world" looking down while flying in his corporate jet...  even the dopes run Who-Cares Manufacturing, which sits adjacent to ‘Door to Door Offload $2000 Worth of Commodity-Crap on the Elderly’ Manufacturing, which of course leases property from ‘All Bagged Vacuums Choke’ Manufacturing, who (on a clear day) can look out their windows and see the corporate giant - ‘Stuck For An Innovation Answer’ Manufacturing.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #149   Dec 3, 2009 6:54 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Mole,

Well, I see you came up for some fresh air and some sunshine.  Don’t over doit so you don’t burn.

I like Sir James’ world.  I bet he sees plenty of "real-world" looking down while flying in his corporate jet...  even the dopes run Who-Cares Manufacturing, which sits adjacent to ‘Door to Door Offload $2000 Worth of Commodity-Crap on the Elderly’ Manufacturing, which of course leases property from ‘All Bagged Vacuums Choke’ Manufacturing, who (on a clear day) can look out their windows and see the corporate giant - ‘Stuck For An Innovation Answer’ Manufacturing.

DIB

DIB:

Like it or not, and regardless of your ill-will and words toward dyson's competition, dyson's pricing is killing it with the competition.  At half the price and even less, not just on vacuums but dyson's other product ventures, dyson can't compete in the market place, except as a very small niche player.  This is not enough to sustain a company like dyson that wants to be on the forefront of technology with household products.  Dyson needs big sales to keep the dyson infra-structure going.  You don't like to hear that reality but such is the essence of product development and sales in today's world.  Only the strong survive, not the technologically/marketing skilled.  Remember halo.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #150   Dec 3, 2009 8:46 am
Carmine,

The adolescents, DIB and Mole, our acting up again!  Should we make them sit in opposite corners of the room?

Sir James may be in the realm of consciousness of those individuals/corporations without need to boast or prove anything to anyone. Hubris or Humility? It depends on the individual.  I can think of any number of entertainers/sports stars who are very quiet outside of their public profession. Miele does not publish any figures of profit/loss either. Think they're going under?  The brass "in your face", "look at me", "bow and scrape" attitude of those who suddenly acquire money is pretty much an American attitude.  They have money, not wealth. There is a difference.  Regardless of what you think of James Dyson's products or his prowess as an engineer, he does engage the world with grace and class.

In reflecting on the whole Dyson phenomena,  I think he made one major error in judgment which led to several others:

He failed to realize at the outset that his largest markets would ultimately be the US and Canada.

This consequently led to a failure to consider 1) how much more carpet Americans have in their homes 2) How hard Americans are on their vacuums and 3) insufficient prototype testing by American consumers.

He had the success in front of him with the original Fantom. Place the multi-cyclonic bin on the Fantom carpet head, use a larger diameter hose and wand assembly, and bigger wheels. Viola! The first Fantoms were very good vacuums. Lots of them still running today. More complex is not always better. The concession to a manual carpet height adjustment would have saved a lot of Rube Goldberg engineering.

Peace,

Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #151   Dec 3, 2009 11:55 am
Trebor wrote:
Carmine,

The adolescents, DIB and Mole, our acting up again!  Should we make them sit in opposite corners of the room?

Sir James may be in the realm of consciousness of those individuals/corporations without need to boast or prove anything to anyone. Hubris or Humility? It depends on the individual.  I can think of any number of entertainers/sports stars who are very quiet outside of their public profession. Miele does not publish any figures of profit/loss either. Think they're going under?  The brass "in your face", "look at me", "bow and scrape" attitude of those who suddenly acquire money is pretty much an American attitude.  They have money, not wealth. There is a difference.  Regardless of what you think of James Dyson's products or his prowess as an engineer, he does engage the world with grace and class.

In reflecting on the whole Dyson phenomena,  I think he made one major error in judgment which led to several others:

He failed to realize at the outset that his largest markets would ultimately be the US and Canada.

This consequently led to a failure to consider 1) how much more carpet Americans have in their homes 2) How hard Americans are on their vacuums and 3) insufficient prototype testing by American consumers.

He had the success in front of him with the original Fantom. Place the multi-cyclonic bin on the Fantom carpet head, use a larger diameter hose and wand assembly, and bigger wheels. Viola! The first Fantoms were very good vacuums. Lots of them still running today. More complex is not always better. The concession to a manual carpet height adjustment would have saved a lot of Rube Goldberg engineering.

Peace,

Trebor

Hello Trebor:

WRT MIELE, if you view the MIELE video on its web site the narrative states that over 1 MILLION vacuum units were shipped from the German plant last year.  This does not count the outsourced MIELE models of course that are sold in various markets.  At least for vacuums, with one million units made and shipped from Germany last year, that's a perspective on how well its vacuums are doing globally, in a recession global market.

Also, I am taking the liberty of posting a link right from MIELE's web site under the heading Facts & Figures which gives financial data for all years from 2000-2008.  Enjoy.

http://www.mieleusa.com/about_miele/about_miele.asp?nav=1&snav=3&tnav=3&oT=202&benefit=92

Note too that the banner at the top of this site is the MIELE S7 line.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #152   Dec 3, 2009 1:16 pm
Trebor wrote:
Carmine,

Peace,

Trebor
Trebor,

Indeed Mr. Dyson is a humble man, that’s why I enjoyed running some offense.  I might add, Sir James is a Billionaire and the suits owning or heading the older-more established, much bigger-wealthier vacuum corporations...are not.

Of Fantom...
Rube Goldberg?  The floating nozzle is a great consumer friendly setup and a great way of insuring the Dyson masses fill their clear bins. 

James Dyson was a [nearly broke, nearly defeated] inventor-licensor not an owner in IONA.  Per Sir James autobiography, IONA took advantage of an already dire situation and man (the Amway lawsuit - their thieving James Dyson’s inventions) and renegotiated James Dyson’s royalties to a lower rate.  This small time inventor was nearly destroyed (as an inventor and man) by giants.  I know making a difference (making life better via inventions or promoting inventiveness) has little meaning to many of the Dyson competitor suits, but I am fully aware these men appreciate money and chasing after as much money [for themselves] as possible. - Again, Sir James is the self-made Billionaire and they are not.  And yes! - I like saying it and reminding the suits and supporters of these suits just who is who.

DIB
This message was modified Dec 3, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #153   Dec 3, 2009 1:47 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Trebor,

Indeed Mr. Dyson is a humble man, that’s why I enjoyed running some offense.  I might add, Sir James is a Billionaire and the suits owning or heading the older-more established, much bigger-wealthier vacuum corporations...are not.

Of Fantom...
Rube Goldberg?  The floating nozzle is a great consumer friendly setup and a great way of insuring the Dyson masses fill their clear bins. 

James Dyson was a [nearly broke, nearly defeated] inventor-licensor not an owner in IONA.  Per Sir James autobiography, IONA took advantage of an already dire situation and man (the Amway lawsuit - their thieving James Dyson’s inventions) and renegotiated James Dyson’s royalties to a lower rate.  This small time inventor was nearly destroyed (as an inventor and man) by giants.  I know making a difference (making life better via inventions or promoting inventiveness) has little meaning to many of the Dyson competitor suits, but I am fully aware these men appreciate money and chasing after as much money [for themselves] as possible. - Again, Sir James is the self-made Billionaire and they are not.  And yes! - I like saying it and reminding the suits and supporters of these suits just who is who.

DIB

Hello DiB:

I disagree with your statement that Sir James is a billionaire.  According to the latest article that you posted here about dyson and Sir James, his wealth status has been downgraded in 2009 to multi-millionaire, not billionaire as you write.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23765305-dysons-pay-cut-in-profits-slip.do

As I pointed out, Forbes rated Sir James at $2 Billion in 2006, $1.6 Billion in 2007, and $1 Billion in 2008.  We'll have to wait to see what Forbes says in March 2010 for Sir James in 2009.   Typically the magazine rates and ranks billionaires only.  But, based on Forbes richest Americans published in October 2009, Forbes was forced to lower the bar to $997 Million.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #154   Dec 3, 2009 2:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DiB:

I disagree with your statement that Sir James is a billionaire.  According to the latest article that you posted here about dyson and Sir James, his wealth status has been downgraded in 2009 to multi-millionaire, not billionaire as you write.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23765305-dysons-pay-cut-in-profits-slip.do

As I pointed out, Forbes rated Sir James at $2 Billion in 2006, $1.6 Billion in 2007, and $1 Billion in 2008.  We'll have to wait to see what Forbes says in March 2010 for Sir James in 2009.   Typically the magazine rates and ranks billionaires only.  But, based on Forbes richest Americans published in October 2009, Forbes was forced to lower the bar to $997 Million.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I doubt his net worth is less than $1b.  Whatever his net worth is, no doubt he is the richest.

Note:  I always play the 'Who's the self-made and/or richest card' when I see Sir James getting a work-over on here.  Units sold, market size, etc., are meaningless by men who measure themselves by their net worth. - Which most suits and owners do.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #155   Dec 3, 2009 4:34 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

I doubt his net worth is less than $1b.  Whatever his net worth is, no doubt he is the richest.

Note:  I always play the 'Who's the self-made and/or richest card' when I see Sir James getting a work-over on here.  Units sold, market size, etc., are meaningless by men who measure themselves by their net worth. - Which most suits and owners do.

DIB

And that DiB is called an opinion, not a fact, and you are entitled to have one.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #156   Dec 3, 2009 8:51 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
And that DiB is called an opinion, not a fact, and you are entitled to have one.

Carmine D.

Prove it out - Name bigger names, name bigger worth.

DIB
This message was modified Dec 4, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 147 - 156 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42