Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Original Message   Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am
Subscribers to consumerreports.org have been able to add user reviews of vacuums for several years now.  It's not uncommon to read a user taking CR to the woodshed for a shoddy product purchased due to CR's high ranking.  Some of the highest ranked products have some of the worst reviews.  I suspect CR readers are toughest on the highest ranked products and more lenient on lesser ranked products since expectations are lower.  The disagreement many times is associated with CR's overall criteria not aligning itself with the needs of some consumers.   For example, it is common to see a consumer complaining that the highly rated canister vacuum weighing in at 26 pounds is too difficult for them to handle.  Many complaints seem to deal with reliability.  

Rather surprisingly , the Rainbow which rates very poorly in the Consumer Reports ratings, gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from the users.  I don't know if this is a direct result of the sales pitch that goes with the Rainbow, or a deficiency in the testing by CR.   Dyson owners are especially testy.  They always seem surprised that their vacuums don't perform better in CR's tests carpet cleaning tests.  

It's difficult to know whether the user reviews will influence ratings in the future due to their inherent biases.  Perhaps CR will do a better job of evaluating reliability data in the future.   CR has reported that when they get a lot of user complaints about reliability, that they dig deeper into the members annual survey to look for problems.  However, users with problems are more likely to publish reviews than users that are content.  

I believe feedback from members has resulted in the tests on cleaning pet hair and more emphasis on lightweight and ease of use. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 21 - 30 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DavidH

Re: rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Reply #21   Oct 3, 2009 8:39 pm
I have been a Consumer Reports subscriber since the mid-eighties (and I read my parents' copies before that).  I have also owned a Rainbow since about 1992 (I bought it through DirectBuy (then United Consumers Club), so I didn't have to deal with a salesperson and I got a bit of a deal.

Shortly after I bought it Consumer Reports said how terrible it was.  But if you read Consumer Reports' methodology, it's clear what went wrong:  they didn't use real house dust, but rather simulated dust with sawdust.  Since the Rainbow uses water, and sawdust is made from wood, which floats, it shouldn't surprise you that the dust emissions were high.  We have been fairly happy with our Rainbow and, as far as I can tell, it works as well as it did new.

That said, it's not our only vacuum...it is heavy and a pain to fill the water and dump the gunk down the toilet, so we also have an older Panasonic upright (that she is also complaining about now...which is how I found this forum).

Currently considering the Oreck at Costco,  but I'm still not convinced it's worth the premium price--it's nice and light, but we're not housekeepers taking it from home to home.  The top-rated on at Consumer Reports got terrible reviews from actual users on their site.  More research is needed. :-)
procare

Reply #22   Oct 3, 2009 11:25 pm
David H. ,

Consumer report tests vacuums with what they call wood flour mixture that they think will tell how good vacuums do. Rainbow is commonly called mudslinger for one good reason. Dirt will get thru the seporator and build up in the fans. Not wettable dirt will continue back into the air. This is why Rainbow has a so called HEPA filter to catch the non wettable dirt. The Panasonic upright is using the right clean air concept but still lacks some in bag change and some other minor things.

Cleaner line of choice for me is  the Aerus-Electrolux line. You may not need the features the best machine has but have 3 canister that have the same power but different features. The top two are true automatics. When the bag is full or the cleaner motor is taxed to much to cut the cleaning effeciency it will  shut off. Overheated motor it shuts off, built in cord reel, light weight and easy to manuever. The upight is powerful, easy change bag ,True sealed HEPA system, will give years of good service. Just a recommendation to look at . There are 3 upights to choose from.

Procare.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Oct 4, 2009 7:20 am
DavidH wrote:

Currently considering the Oreck at Costco,  but I'm still not convinced it's worth the premium price--it's nice and light, but we're not housekeepers taking it from home to home.  The top-rated on at Consumer Reports got terrible reviews from actual users on their site.  More research is needed. :-)

Hello DavidH:

WRT Rexiars/rainbows, I nevr saw the attraction and appeal to buyers.  Never.  But buyers and users do, so more power to them.

If you have a local ORECK store nearby, you may be able to buy a new XL Silver upright on sale, minus the giveaways, for $200.  These sales are run typically thruout the year.  With Christmas coming up, it's likely again.  Or a used ORECK for $100.  In many cases, these look and work as good as new.  Also, estate sales are excellent sources for top of the line ORECKs from $25-$50.  The TOL ORECKS are typically purchased by retired seniors looking to buy their last vacuum and want no worries about repair costs for 10-20 years.  They [the buyers] usually go before the ORECKs, sadly.  The left behind ORECK's get sold off cheap, especially now.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #24   Oct 4, 2009 7:29 am
Procare- If I read Davids post right he is having trouble with Orecks "PREMIUM PRICE" at Costco. What's that $199.00? and your recommending an $800.00 vacuum! LOL

David- Try to separate your buying instinct that has been formed by the forces of Mass Retailing that "PRICE is the only thing that matters". Go to a reputable dealer, here you will find "VALUE" and you will probably be surprised it might not be as expensive as you thought, especially AFTER you purchase the vacuum. Vacuums are one of the FEW household appliances you can try BEFORE you buy it, so why would you buy a Vacuum in a box???? If your interested in a Lightweight, please go to a Simplicity or Riccar dealer and check out their Freedom/Supralight Lines. IMHO they are much better than Oreck in every way. From bigger fans and stiffer brushrollers to belts that last more than 6 months.

PLEASE support small business. Box Stores do LITTLE for your community and little for your local economy.

Costco and Oreck are undercutting the local Oreck franchise dealer and THEN have the nerve to make the Dealer honor the service contract! That short term profit driven business model is an insane way to do business. So beware MANY Oreck franchisee's are REFUSING to honor the Warranties...a perfect example of "Price vs VALUE"
CarmineD

Reply #25   Oct 4, 2009 7:39 am
Hello Lucky1:

The COSTCO ORECK is selling for $299 before any discounts.  So far, there have been none of the latter, its $299.  The model is a discontinued and old style ORECK line.  Not the new one.  I suspect the reason these ORECK's have found their way to COSTCO stores and I understand selling well too.  WRT the ORECK warranty, which I believ on these models is 2 or 3 years, ORECK dealers provide the customer service but ORECK compensates the dealers for out of pocket costs.  Correct? 

BTW, COSTCO has a wonderful return policy.  I suspect if these ORECKs fail under warranty, they go back to COSTCO for return, credit, refund, exchange etc.  Not to ORECK stores for repair.  Maybe I'm wrong.  This makes it tough for the indies.  No one says the vacuum bsuiness is a piece of cake.  It's hard work to beat the competition, which in large part, are the big box rip off stores.  They have the business clout in the good times.  But these are not good times.  ORECKs at COSTCO are proof.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 4, 2009 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #26   Oct 4, 2009 8:02 am
Lucky1,

Please take Carmines and mikes and mine advice.

This is just business as usual. THE STATE OF THE ECONOMY IS CAUSING THESE COMPANIES TO LOOK FOR ANY AVENUE TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.

Just keep doing what your  doing, you will be O.K.
CarmineD

Reply #27   Oct 4, 2009 8:51 am
mole wrote:
Lucky1,

Please take Carmines and mikes and mine advice.

This is just business as usual. THE STATE OF THE ECONOMY IS CAUSING THESE COMPANIES TO LOOK FOR ANY AVENUE TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.

Just keep doing what your  doing, you will be O.K.

Hate the vacuum maker, if it makes you feel better, but never the customer.  These are the times that you convert/revert vacuum customers to your store/business for a life time, including their children and their children's children. 

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #28   Oct 4, 2009 7:16 pm
 The independent dealers are the backbone of the vacuum cleaner industry, they are the ones that take care of the cleaners after the sale. I personally sell door to door. I didn't answer an ad to become a door to door salesman . I went because of the product and the satisfied customer base. I like people and giving good customer service. One may say $800 or more is too much but I say no.  If I told you I have car that sells for $4995 and the better ones are selling for $12,000 , you say I'll go fo less. Case in point YUGO. Car was poorly built and didn't hold up. Good report in one test by Consumers Report then changes it later. Car Magazines even liked it..A lot of people bought them and got taken.

If an individual tries what  I sell and  it doesn't suit hem fine, but if it does what I say and can prove it is worth more than I sell it for I have done my job. With the price I sell comes the best  warranty on the market, the best service history, the best customer satisfaction, and something  a lot of companies don't provide  free pick up and delivery. Much of my business is done in a 60 mile radius of my home. As I have said before there is no harm in trying one out. 100% of the people will not buy but at least they will know if it suits their needs or not.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #29   Oct 4, 2009 7:26 pm
Vacuum customers willing to make a $500-$600 vacuum buy at the big box rip off stores have a short budget leap [$200-$300] to make an $800 vacuum purchase from a trusted sales person and trusted vacuum company.  No more extra budget if an indy store vacuum brand buy.  Either way, d-t-d and/or indy store, a cat in the bag at $500-$600 and/or a lifetime business relationship.  That's what the extra time and /or $ buy.  As the saying goes: Priceless.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #30   Oct 4, 2009 8:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Vacuum customers willing to make a $500-$600 vacuum buy at the big box rip off stores have a short budget leap [$200-$300] to make an $800 vacuum purchase from a trusted sales person and trusted vacuum company.  No more extra budget if an indy store vacuum brand buy.  Either way, d-t-d and/or indy store, a cat in the bag at $500-$600 and/or a lifetime business relationship.  That's what the extra time and /or $ buy.  As the saying goes: Priceless.

Carmine D.

Some would rather buy the $59 cheapos at the bb stores or a $199 electric broom and then criticize others for doing the same.  Of course they have a relationship with the bb employees across the country.  Rather odd that they chime in on the expensive machines then personally use junk.

Replies: 21 - 30 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42