Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Original Message   Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am
Subscribers to consumerreports.org have been able to add user reviews of vacuums for several years now.  It's not uncommon to read a user taking CR to the woodshed for a shoddy product purchased due to CR's high ranking.  Some of the highest ranked products have some of the worst reviews.  I suspect CR readers are toughest on the highest ranked products and more lenient on lesser ranked products since expectations are lower.  The disagreement many times is associated with CR's overall criteria not aligning itself with the needs of some consumers.   For example, it is common to see a consumer complaining that the highly rated canister vacuum weighing in at 26 pounds is too difficult for them to handle.  Many complaints seem to deal with reliability.  

Rather surprisingly , the Rainbow which rates very poorly in the Consumer Reports ratings, gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from the users.  I don't know if this is a direct result of the sales pitch that goes with the Rainbow, or a deficiency in the testing by CR.   Dyson owners are especially testy.  They always seem surprised that their vacuums don't perform better in CR's tests carpet cleaning tests.  

It's difficult to know whether the user reviews will influence ratings in the future due to their inherent biases.  Perhaps CR will do a better job of evaluating reliability data in the future.   CR has reported that when they get a lot of user complaints about reliability, that they dig deeper into the members annual survey to look for problems.  However, users with problems are more likely to publish reviews than users that are content.  

I believe feedback from members has resulted in the tests on cleaning pet hair and more emphasis on lightweight and ease of use. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 37 of 37View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Reply #1   Sep 16, 2009 12:34 pm
Hello Severus:

You, as a poster on the same vacuum Forums for many years as me, know my opinions about Consumer Reports.  It is a necessary evil.  In my store years, vacuum consumers inevitably cited CR ratings and as an expert I had to know and respond. 

While I accept their ratings and rankings as comparative test scores, that's all they are.  Like CPA's, lawyers, HS students who take tests, pass, even with honors, then proceed to be the worse/fail in college.  There are no tests developed/used that measure product reliability and performance over time. 

CR's reliability tests leave alot to be desired.  Asking consumers is probably the worse source in most cases.  Experts in the field are the best sources, because as you say they see the repairs and have to service the products.  They know the absolute best.  If the experts sell and repair brands, those brands are the best on the market. 

Obviously CR places more importance on its findings and results than the experts in the field do.  That divide has to be narrowed if CR is to gain the earned respect of the industry pros and consumers.  CR has to come more in line with the opinions, knowledge and experience of the pros.  CR has gotten much better over the years.  Making some right on calls but some very bad ones too.  For the most part, CR still does things their own way after all these years.  While adding more realistic tests and brands and models, CR hasn't really changed the script very much over time. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #2   Sep 16, 2009 12:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Severus:

You, as a poster on the same vacuum Forums for many years as me, know my opinions about Consumer Reports.  It is a necessary evil.  In my store years, vacuum consumers inevitably cited CR ratings and as an expert I had to know and respond. 

While I accept their ratings and rankings as comparative test scores, that's all they are.  Like CPA's, lawyers, HS students who take tests, pass, even with honors, then proceed to be the worse/fail in college.  There are no tests developed/used that measure product reliability and performance over time. 

CR's reliability tests leave alot to be desired.  Asking consumers is probably the worse source in most cases.  Experts in the field are the best sources, because as you say they see the repairs and have to service the products.  They know the absolute best.  If the experts sell and repair brands, those brands are the best on the market. 

Obviously CR places more importance on its findings and results than the experts in the field do.  That divide has to be narrowed if CR is to gain the earned respect of the industry pros and consumers.  CR has to come more in line with the opinions, knowledge and experience of the pros.  CR has gotten much better over the years.  Making some right on calls but some very bad ones too.  For the most part, CR still does things their own way after all these years.  While adding more realistic tests and brands and models, CR hasn't really changed the script very much over time. 

Carmine D.

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP
CarmineD

Reply #3   Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm
HS:

What part of:  CR is a guide, a starting place, not the gospel and not the be all and end all, don't you understand?  And also my corollary:  The experts and pros in the vacuum industry are the best source of knowledge and experience on products.

Of course with CR stuck in your craw over the dyson product performance debacles AND your limited vocabulary, you will plenty of difficulty putting words to your thoughts to answer my question. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #4   Sep 16, 2009 1:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

What part of:  CR is a guide, a starting place, not the gospel and not the be all and end all, don't you understand?  And also my corrolary with it:  The experts and pros in the vacuum industry are the best source of knowledge and experience on products.

Of course with your limited vocabulary, you may have difficulty putting words to your thoughts. 

Carmine D.

If CR boosts your argument you tell how their tests are accurate and not slanted.  If not they are only a reference. 

You have disagreed with me numerous times when I said their tests do not reflect real world useage and user opinions. Now you say they are not the gospel.

FLOP FLOP.

CarmineD

Reply #5   Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm
HS:

You're full of BS, as always HS.  Making quotes and refernces to CR's findings and results is not defending them, supporting them, or agreeing with them.  Consumers have to be the judge of the CR findings and results with their choices and purchase decisions.  Industry experts and pros are THE best source of authoritative experience and judgement. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Sep 16, 2009 1:39 pm
HS:

CR has called all the dysons [DC07, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23] right save one.  The DC11.  CR gave it high grades.  It flopped and was pulled from the US.  Of course, even before CR blew this one, several vacuum experts, including me, called it unsuitable for US carpets. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #7   Sep 16, 2009 1:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

CR has called all the dysons [DC07, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23] right save one.  The DC11.  CR gave it high grades.  It flopped and was pulled from the US.  Of course, even before CR blew this one, several vacuum experts, including me, called it unsuitable for US carpets. 

Carmine D.

They also failed to tell of all the problems associated with their highly rated WT's.    Read all the consumer complaints abot this POS called a vacuum.

Oh, I forgot.  Those reviews are ficticious unless they tell how good the Tempo and other cheapies that you buy at the BB stores are.

I bet that CR and you claim Oreck to be suited for all carpet.

Venson

Reply #8   Sep 16, 2009 1:57 pm
Hi Severus,

The big problem here is that people want to take Consumer Reports as being tantamount to the word of the Lord and that's not possible. The real deal is that shoppers for whatever product should educate themselves as to how x-appliance works and what features may supply highest efficiency and easiest use. The vac repair people here know that consumers seldom do that.

As for disagreement as to someone's dislike of what I perceive as a winner -- what of it? As long as I have it and am happy who cares if CR doesn't give it the glowing praise I do?

CR would be better served to as well emphasize the issue of generally good features to prospective vacuum buyers by way component design, easy height adjustment systems, exhaust placement, dust capacity, easy maintenance, etc. Yet, as I consider it, that too would require more pages than are practical or profitable for them to lend to a specific topic if all we're talking is household appliances.

Did you know that the shape of a blender jar or a food mixer bowl can influence how well they work? People in general never think about things like that. They just run to the store with their money expecting to buy solutions for their needs and problems.

Considering price alone, there is nothing to recommend a new Rainbow, Kirby, Miele, Filter Queen or Aerus over many other machines on the market. You may even end up with a little more for your buck because, just like ugly girls, some of the lesser priced brands try harder to please.

However, if someone really wanted one, I have no qualms about suggesting that they go for a used or rebuilt machine within those brand areas. But, getting back to CR . . .

I have always done my shopping for myself. When I shop I know what is important to me as well as what will work. I bone up on the brands, their features and also do my best with whatever accessible information available to learn what is required on my part to get the best out of what I buy. I've used CR for years merely as a guide not a deliverer of gospel and have been pleased.

Best,

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #9   Sep 16, 2009 2:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

You're full of BS, as always HS.  Making quotes and refernces to CR's findings and results is not defending them, supporting them, or agreeing with them.  Consumers have to be the judge of the CR findings and results with their choices and purchase decisions.  Industry experts and pros are THE best source of authoritative experience and judgement. 

Carmine D.

Right on.  I am full up with your BS and pee poor excuses for a pro.  Again, you quote as if it is the gospel then say they are for reading purposes only.

Dyson kicked you arse over your shoulders and Hoover bounced you out on your arse like a basketball.

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #10   Sep 16, 2009 3:54 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
They also failed to tell of all the problems associated with their highly rated WT's.    Read all the consumer complaints abot this POS called a vacuum.

Oh, I forgot.  Those reviews are ficticious unless they tell how good the Tempo and other cheapies that you buy at the BB stores are.

I bet that CR and you claim Oreck to be suited for all carpet.

Hardsell,

CR does not evaluate performance on all carpet types.  They only run tests on medium pile carpeting.   That's certainly a limitation of their testing, although they do supplement their testing with in home testing by employees of CU.   I would think that almost any vacuum would do really well on low pile carpeting.   If I had really thick carpeting, I would want to pick a vacuum that scored very good or excellent in the carpet cleaning tests.   Most Oreck buyers made their choice due to the light weight rather than anything else. 

By the way, CR does make a point of Hoover's less than stellar reliability.  However, they don't have enough data since the takeover by TTI to comment on whether reliability has improved.   CR does not provide reliability data by model, only by manufacturer. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #11   Sep 16, 2009 4:49 pm
HS:

Like SEVERUS says, CR has long written that while the HOOVER brand scores high in the tests, and is a best selling brand, it has been one of the least reliable brands tested.  Right!  You know that since you quoted it here many times.  Also as SEVERUS says with HOOVER's transition from Maytag to Whirlpool to TTI in a few short years what happens?  Some things suffer.  The loss of its senior experienced employees along with quality building.  

Venson nailed it on the head.  If customers do their research well, including seeking the advice of experts, and settle on a brand/model that CR is tepid about, then they need to make a purchase decision.  Their choice or CR.  For me that is an easy one.  My money, my choice.  If you let others tell you how to spend your money, whether CR and/or anyone else, that's on you, not them.  You are a problem not them.  CR or whoever you listen too is the easy party to blame when something goes wrong.  All the more reasons to do business with an indy.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #12   Sep 16, 2009 5:27 pm
HS: 

You liked the HOOVER bagged Platinum upright after using at SEARS.  CR rates it number 2.  Did you buy it because you liked and wanted it or because CR does?  Or both?

Before you answer, let me say and you probably know this already.  So it's redundant.  I wasn't impressed with the HOOVER lightweight.  I used it [in BEST BUY] and considered it for a gift to the Church parish Office when BB ran the sale several months ago for $299.  It is not as good on low pile carpets as ORECK's.  I don't care that CR subsequently rated HOOVER lightweigh bagged Platinum number 2.  Makes no difference to me in this case.  I'm gifting the ORECK XL Classic because the Church office has low pile carpets perfectly suited for ORECK uprights.  BTW, the reason in part ORECK's are ideal for all bare floors.  Even w/o a low speed, which coincidentally the HOOVER lightweigh has.  I think a lo-speed is a waste for most uprights on carpets, unless there are tools on board.  Just like the lo-speed on the mid-high end price ORECK's.  Waste.  One speed is fine for most users on carpets.

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #13   Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm
I used to think Consumer Reports was gospel. I went to the library and read every back issue I could. At different times in the past, they have put useful detailed information in their report on each vacuum tested. ( Bag change indicator, two speed motor, cordwinder, how easy the bag or dust bin was to change or empty....I have some of the cleaners that they continually rate low or just average in carpet and hard floor cleaning. I totally disagree with them. As one example, I have two Rainbows, a Rainbow SE PE (my favorite of the Rainbows) and a Rainbow E Series. This year they gave the same Rainbow above average in hard floor cleaning that in the past has always gotten a fair...Rainbow has one of the best floor tools for hard service floors ever made, I even use it with my Electroluxes. In the past when they vacuum hard surface flooring, they use the power nozzle in stead of the floor tool that was made specifically for cleaning hard surface floors. That is complete stupidity! on their part. What changed this year? (The power nozzle didn't) I want to make one more point about Consume Reports. If you study the ratings from year to year on the same vacuum model they did the year before, it will be different and yet it is the same model. How can this be? I will continue to buy the vacuum issue even though I know I will disagree with them, but as a vacuum enthusiast I feel more prepared to filter out the good from the bad in their reports. Unfortunately regular consumers who could probably care less about a vacuum will unfortunately fall prey to their not so good testing methods.

Sincerely,

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #14   Sep 16, 2009 8:24 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

...tell how good the Tempo and other cheapies that you buy at the BB stores are.

HS:

You are quick to say you get what you pay for.  I'm not unless and until I know the facts.  I would buy and have bought "bagged" HOOVER TEMPO's at several different big box retail stores.  Make no mistakes.  Cheap in price has no bearing on cheap in product quality/performance.  Read the TEMPO reviews.  It is one of the highest if not the highest rated vacuum product by consumers for any and all vacuums regardless of the review sources. 

While spending in the range of $54-$80 for each of the the HOOVER TEMPO's I bought, they have all provided service and reliability comparable to vacuums costing much more.  As much as 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 times more in price.  With the same features too that are normally found on these more expensive vacuums.  Don't be so quick to judge.  Usually doing so makes for errors.  After a year's worth of use, the TEMPO's pre-motor and post motor filters looked brand new.  The benefits of using quality paper bags.  This vacuum comes with an UNCONDITIONAL ONE YEAR WARRANTY.  Everything is guaranteed even belts and bulbs! 

What I said works in reverse too.  Don't be so quick as you are to WRONGLY say that a product is of good quality and performance just because it sells at the highest prices in its class.  It's a marketing ploy that brand makers use to deceive, connive, and sell products that normally would not sell otherwise if properly marked for its worth/value. 

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #15   Sep 18, 2009 1:04 am
budmattingly wrote:
I used to think Consumer Reports was gospel. I went to the library and read every back issue I could. At different times in the past, they have put useful detailed information in their report on each vacuum tested. ( Bag change indicator, two speed motor, cordwinder, how easy the bag or dust bin was to change or empty....I have some of the cleaners that they continually rate low or just average in carpet and hard floor cleaning. I totally disagree with them. As one example, I have two Rainbows, a Rainbow SE PE (my favorite of the Rainbows) and a Rainbow E Series. This year they gave the same Rainbow above average in hard floor cleaning that in the past has always gotten a fair...Rainbow has one of the best floor tools for hard service floors ever made, I even use it with my Electroluxes. In the past when they vacuum hard surface flooring, they use the power nozzle in stead of the floor tool that was made specifically for cleaning hard surface floors. That is complete stupidity! on their part. What changed this year? (The power nozzle didn't) I want to make one more point about Consume Reports. If you study the ratings from year to year on the same vacuum model they did the year before, it will be different and yet it is the same model. How can this be? I will continue to buy the vacuum issue even though I know I will disagree with them, but as a vacuum enthusiast I feel more prepared to filter out the good from the bad in their reports. Unfortunately regular consumers who could probably care less about a vacuum will unfortunately fall prey to their not so good testing methods.

Sincerely,

Bud

One of the reasons that the ratings change is that the criteria changes to reflect the times.   for example, the tests on pet hair are relatively new.   The weightings of individual test scores may change to reflect the needs of subscribers.  For example, although carpet cleaning ability might be the most important factor, ease of use might be weighted more due to subscriber demands.  I say this based on the relatively high ratings of light weight vacuums.   Then again, these tend to be fan first designs which are very efficient. 

As I've stated before, I'm not certain I trust the results for the Rainbow.  The Rainbow is truly unique with the water filtration, and I'm not convinced that it's the worst vacuum tested on carpet.  That said, I wouldn't buy one due to the ridiculously high price and high maintenance.   However, the CR subscribers who own Rainbows and submit user reviews seem to love them.  There's something to be said about a vacuum that user's like. 

CarmineD

Reply #16   Sep 18, 2009 7:03 am
Hello SEVERUS, Bud:

I always chaulked up the differences to the people doing the tests.  They are subjective in their review of the findings and the results, not objective.  Perhaps that is oversimplifying, but not knowing the test procedures and processes doesn't make the matter better.  The example I would use is a supervisor evaluating his employees.  If a supervisor is very strict the evaluations are not as glowing as those given by a supervisor who is lenient. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Sep 18, 2009 7:06 am
WRT Rexair/Rainbows, I have found their product loyalty among users rivals that of KIRBY and Aerus [formerly Electrolux].  I have a dear friend who brags that he bought a new Rainbow over 40 years ago when he married.  His wife left him after a few years but he still has the Rainbow and it works perfectly.

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #18   Sep 18, 2009 11:53 am
CarmineD wrote:
WRT Rexair/Rainbows, I have found their product loyalty among users rivals that of KIRBY and Aerus [formerly Electrolux].  I have a dear friend who brags that he bought a new Rainbow over 40 years ago when he married.  His wife left him after a few years but he still has the Rainbow and it works perfectly.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I've always wondered how much influence the initial sales pitch has on Rainbow owners.   After all, they do have to buy into the argument that the Rainbow is much more than a vacuum - it is a cleaning system.   They use similar arguments to that of Dyson - no bags to clog.  I absolutely despised having to hold down a lever/button to keep the power nozzle on.  All door to door brands to their best to convince the consumer that their product is the only one that works.   I think that strong buy in by purchasers leads to some of the loyalty.

Venson

Reply #19   Sep 18, 2009 12:08 pm
Not an original thought on my part but keep in mind that we’re being “sold” daily and that we often buy with no other rationale than, “Gee, I like that!”

We’re being sold new lines of nonsense daily. Pet hair? Forty years ago I would not have bought a vacuum that could not remove pet hair. And forty years ago I found vacuums, even straight-suction machines, that met the challenge well and without benefit of ad campaigns. Why would I buy a machine that “specializes”? I want all I can get for my money. That matter is significant to me in that most of the people I know and have known maintain their households with a single vacuum cleaner to handle all related tasks.

Consumer Reports apparently has found a way to garner an income by purporting to aid consumers inundated by TV adverts, fast-talking doorbell ringers, unsolicited mail and its internet equivalent. Too much information sometimes being as bad as too little, they come away without a clue as to what will really suit their needs. Personally, I don’t think a magazine intended to be of service to consumers could last long if the majority of its readers found its assessments incorrect or ill-founded. Moving on . . .

Can’t remember whether it was this forum or another many of us had been members of in past but we’ve only had one associate that I can recall who bought vacuums to “test” them. This gentleman claimed he fed chosen test items sure-kill stuff like ash and similar substances and would then would offer his opinion of this or that machine’s capability. However he caught all heck from other forum members for taking the machines back to the place of purchase for a refund once he was done checking out their potential.

Though it may sound a little silly I say to anyone so inclined -- by all means throw a few ounces of sand or whatever you feel appropriate on your own rug and see if the vacuum you own or the machine you’ve been talked into buying provides results that are satisfying to YOU.

The everyday consumer’s usual judgment regarding good versus bad, as vacuum cleaners go, stems merely from what meets the eye. Even when we flip the switch to assess hose suction by feel we have little idea as to what actually happens at floor level.

Any vacuum that quickly removes visible dust, pet/people hair and litter from a rug’s surface is deemed good and then even better if a certain amount of features and/or niceties are thrown into the deal. BUT – there are also little battery operated floor sweepers that can remove all of the above without suction pretty well. Would we rate them as adequate because they made a carpet look good?

For the venturesome souls, every now and then put on your specs, get down on your hands and knees and do a hands-on check for yourself. If you can separate the tufts or fibers that compose your rug and get a view of the top side of its backing, the story is all there. In high traffic and seating areas throughout your household if you see little or no grit or dirt at the base of your carpet’s tufting then you – not just your vacuum – are doing a great job. (One doesn’t work well without the other.)

If on the other hand you do discover what you feel to be too much nasty stuff, the solution lies within a fair assessment of the problem.

1. Depending upon your individual home traffic situation, how often do you vacuum?
2. Has your vacuum been well maintained? (Not by your standards but per its user guide.)
3. Do you vacuum fast or slow? (Vacuuming too quickly is as bad as not vacuuming. Despite high suction and revolving brushes, a vacuum needs to be allowed time to work effectively.

Venson
Venson

Reply #20   Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm
Severus wrote:
. . . I absolutely despised having to hold down a lever/button to keep the power nozzle on.  . . .

Hi Severus,

In defense of Rainbow, the switch is a added safety mechanism. Rainbow has also further improved as it is now designed to remain inoperable if the motor unit is not seated on the water pan thus leaving the separator exposed.

A slight annoyance yes but anything may prove a boon as regards safety especially within households with children.

I can attest to this as when the old Electrolux XXX with detachable cords were around I stuck the end of a plugged in power cord in my mouth. Didn't take the curl out of a hair on my four-year old head head but it cured my curiosity as far as further experiments with electricity were concerned. I decided not to do it again. Luckily, I got a chance to make the decision. Another lucky event was the time a friend mine and I hosed down his pedal car and decided to dry it off with his mom's vacuum -- outdoors on the lawn.

Worst case scenario is the story of a toddler whom stuck the hose of an unattended running vacuum in his mouth and suffered permanent lung vacuum due to it.

All it takes is a second or so of diverted attention to open up all sorts of possibilities for injury to young ones. Electrical outlet covers, dead-man switches, and other devices can be annoying but lend to at least a little piece of mind.

Venson
DavidH

Reply #21   Oct 3, 2009 8:39 pm
I have been a Consumer Reports subscriber since the mid-eighties (and I read my parents' copies before that).  I have also owned a Rainbow since about 1992 (I bought it through DirectBuy (then United Consumers Club), so I didn't have to deal with a salesperson and I got a bit of a deal.

Shortly after I bought it Consumer Reports said how terrible it was.  But if you read Consumer Reports' methodology, it's clear what went wrong:  they didn't use real house dust, but rather simulated dust with sawdust.  Since the Rainbow uses water, and sawdust is made from wood, which floats, it shouldn't surprise you that the dust emissions were high.  We have been fairly happy with our Rainbow and, as far as I can tell, it works as well as it did new.

That said, it's not our only vacuum...it is heavy and a pain to fill the water and dump the gunk down the toilet, so we also have an older Panasonic upright (that she is also complaining about now...which is how I found this forum).

Currently considering the Oreck at Costco,  but I'm still not convinced it's worth the premium price--it's nice and light, but we're not housekeepers taking it from home to home.  The top-rated on at Consumer Reports got terrible reviews from actual users on their site.  More research is needed. :-)
procare

Reply #22   Oct 3, 2009 11:25 pm
David H. ,

Consumer report tests vacuums with what they call wood flour mixture that they think will tell how good vacuums do. Rainbow is commonly called mudslinger for one good reason. Dirt will get thru the seporator and build up in the fans. Not wettable dirt will continue back into the air. This is why Rainbow has a so called HEPA filter to catch the non wettable dirt. The Panasonic upright is using the right clean air concept but still lacks some in bag change and some other minor things.

Cleaner line of choice for me is  the Aerus-Electrolux line. You may not need the features the best machine has but have 3 canister that have the same power but different features. The top two are true automatics. When the bag is full or the cleaner motor is taxed to much to cut the cleaning effeciency it will  shut off. Overheated motor it shuts off, built in cord reel, light weight and easy to manuever. The upight is powerful, easy change bag ,True sealed HEPA system, will give years of good service. Just a recommendation to look at . There are 3 upights to choose from.

Procare.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Oct 4, 2009 7:20 am
DavidH wrote:

Currently considering the Oreck at Costco,  but I'm still not convinced it's worth the premium price--it's nice and light, but we're not housekeepers taking it from home to home.  The top-rated on at Consumer Reports got terrible reviews from actual users on their site.  More research is needed. :-)

Hello DavidH:

WRT Rexiars/rainbows, I nevr saw the attraction and appeal to buyers.  Never.  But buyers and users do, so more power to them.

If you have a local ORECK store nearby, you may be able to buy a new XL Silver upright on sale, minus the giveaways, for $200.  These sales are run typically thruout the year.  With Christmas coming up, it's likely again.  Or a used ORECK for $100.  In many cases, these look and work as good as new.  Also, estate sales are excellent sources for top of the line ORECKs from $25-$50.  The TOL ORECKS are typically purchased by retired seniors looking to buy their last vacuum and want no worries about repair costs for 10-20 years.  They [the buyers] usually go before the ORECKs, sadly.  The left behind ORECK's get sold off cheap, especially now.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #24   Oct 4, 2009 7:29 am
Procare- If I read Davids post right he is having trouble with Orecks "PREMIUM PRICE" at Costco. What's that $199.00? and your recommending an $800.00 vacuum! LOL

David- Try to separate your buying instinct that has been formed by the forces of Mass Retailing that "PRICE is the only thing that matters". Go to a reputable dealer, here you will find "VALUE" and you will probably be surprised it might not be as expensive as you thought, especially AFTER you purchase the vacuum. Vacuums are one of the FEW household appliances you can try BEFORE you buy it, so why would you buy a Vacuum in a box???? If your interested in a Lightweight, please go to a Simplicity or Riccar dealer and check out their Freedom/Supralight Lines. IMHO they are much better than Oreck in every way. From bigger fans and stiffer brushrollers to belts that last more than 6 months.

PLEASE support small business. Box Stores do LITTLE for your community and little for your local economy.

Costco and Oreck are undercutting the local Oreck franchise dealer and THEN have the nerve to make the Dealer honor the service contract! That short term profit driven business model is an insane way to do business. So beware MANY Oreck franchisee's are REFUSING to honor the Warranties...a perfect example of "Price vs VALUE"
CarmineD

Reply #25   Oct 4, 2009 7:39 am
Hello Lucky1:

The COSTCO ORECK is selling for $299 before any discounts.  So far, there have been none of the latter, its $299.  The model is a discontinued and old style ORECK line.  Not the new one.  I suspect the reason these ORECK's have found their way to COSTCO stores and I understand selling well too.  WRT the ORECK warranty, which I believ on these models is 2 or 3 years, ORECK dealers provide the customer service but ORECK compensates the dealers for out of pocket costs.  Correct? 

BTW, COSTCO has a wonderful return policy.  I suspect if these ORECKs fail under warranty, they go back to COSTCO for return, credit, refund, exchange etc.  Not to ORECK stores for repair.  Maybe I'm wrong.  This makes it tough for the indies.  No one says the vacuum bsuiness is a piece of cake.  It's hard work to beat the competition, which in large part, are the big box rip off stores.  They have the business clout in the good times.  But these are not good times.  ORECKs at COSTCO are proof.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 4, 2009 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #26   Oct 4, 2009 8:02 am
Lucky1,

Please take Carmines and mikes and mine advice.

This is just business as usual. THE STATE OF THE ECONOMY IS CAUSING THESE COMPANIES TO LOOK FOR ANY AVENUE TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.

Just keep doing what your  doing, you will be O.K.
CarmineD

Reply #27   Oct 4, 2009 8:51 am
mole wrote:
Lucky1,

Please take Carmines and mikes and mine advice.

This is just business as usual. THE STATE OF THE ECONOMY IS CAUSING THESE COMPANIES TO LOOK FOR ANY AVENUE TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.

Just keep doing what your  doing, you will be O.K.

Hate the vacuum maker, if it makes you feel better, but never the customer.  These are the times that you convert/revert vacuum customers to your store/business for a life time, including their children and their children's children. 

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #28   Oct 4, 2009 7:16 pm
 The independent dealers are the backbone of the vacuum cleaner industry, they are the ones that take care of the cleaners after the sale. I personally sell door to door. I didn't answer an ad to become a door to door salesman . I went because of the product and the satisfied customer base. I like people and giving good customer service. One may say $800 or more is too much but I say no.  If I told you I have car that sells for $4995 and the better ones are selling for $12,000 , you say I'll go fo less. Case in point YUGO. Car was poorly built and didn't hold up. Good report in one test by Consumers Report then changes it later. Car Magazines even liked it..A lot of people bought them and got taken.

If an individual tries what  I sell and  it doesn't suit hem fine, but if it does what I say and can prove it is worth more than I sell it for I have done my job. With the price I sell comes the best  warranty on the market, the best service history, the best customer satisfaction, and something  a lot of companies don't provide  free pick up and delivery. Much of my business is done in a 60 mile radius of my home. As I have said before there is no harm in trying one out. 100% of the people will not buy but at least they will know if it suits their needs or not.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #29   Oct 4, 2009 7:26 pm
Vacuum customers willing to make a $500-$600 vacuum buy at the big box rip off stores have a short budget leap [$200-$300] to make an $800 vacuum purchase from a trusted sales person and trusted vacuum company.  No more extra budget if an indy store vacuum brand buy.  Either way, d-t-d and/or indy store, a cat in the bag at $500-$600 and/or a lifetime business relationship.  That's what the extra time and /or $ buy.  As the saying goes: Priceless.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #30   Oct 4, 2009 8:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Vacuum customers willing to make a $500-$600 vacuum buy at the big box rip off stores have a short budget leap [$200-$300] to make an $800 vacuum purchase from a trusted sales person and trusted vacuum company.  No more extra budget if an indy store vacuum brand buy.  Either way, d-t-d and/or indy store, a cat in the bag at $500-$600 and/or a lifetime business relationship.  That's what the extra time and /or $ buy.  As the saying goes: Priceless.

Carmine D.

Some would rather buy the $59 cheapos at the bb stores or a $199 electric broom and then criticize others for doing the same.  Of course they have a relationship with the bb employees across the country.  Rather odd that they chime in on the expensive machines then personally use junk.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Oct 5, 2009 7:01 am
HS:

Still back peddling and pay toilet shuffling. 

In order to know/opine on how the big box store vacuums perform against the indy brands, and the sales business at both, I visit both and buy/use both big box rip off and indy store brands.  Yes, you're right, I have connections with big box store staff and indies all over the country.  I was in the vacuum business and industry for over 55 years and just recently retired in 2006.  I know people who know people.  That's better as a frame of reference than your lawnmower sales and service store!

BTW, $399 for a dyson DC07 [before discounts] is not a $54-$75 HOOVER cheapie.  Tho, the $59 HOOVER TEMPO as Consumer Reports says cleans and grooms circles around a DC07.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #32   Oct 5, 2009 7:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Still back peddling and pay toilet shuffling. 

In order to know/opine on how the big box store vacuums perform against the indy brands, and the sales business at both, I visit both and buy/use both big box rip off and indy store brands.  Yes, you're right, I have connections with big box store staff and indies all over the country.  I was in the vacuum business and industry for over 55 years and just recently retired in 2006.  I know people who know people.  That's better as a frame of reference than your lawnmower sales and service store!

BTW, $399 for a dyson DC07 [before discounts] is not a $54-$75 HOOVER cheapie.  Tho, the $59 HOOVER TEMPO as Consumer Reports says cleans and grooms circles around a DC07.

Carmine D.

You are the back peddler.  I do not suck up to the pros only to rush to a bb store and buy my goods.

Over the years your conversations have been about the vac lines carried in the bb stores.  We have heard how you stalk the bb employees and work the customers on the parking lots.  No mention of Jim, Joe, Bill or whomever at the indy store.

If I recall correctly Dyson scored as high as your Hoovers.  As usual Clown Reports gives the award to the cheapest. 

CarmineD

Reply #33   Oct 5, 2009 8:00 am
HS:

I can't help you if you can't read and comprehend correctly.  Maybe you should stop back peddling and pay toilet shuffling for awhile and focus on reading.

Since living here in Las Vegas the last 3 years I posted here and to you offline that 2 indies have asked me to repair and refurb their unclaimed/traded dysons.  While THE authorized dyson dealer in North Las Vegas, not one of the other 2, won't sell DC25 ball models due the faulty motor wiring harness.  In addition, I know the store managers and staff at both ORECK stores in my area.  And do business with one store regularly. 

Not to mention that the manager of the Las Vegas Aerus store wants me to mentor its sales staff on the history of the vacuum industry.

Did you miss all those? 

Carmine D.   

CarmineD

Reply #34   Oct 5, 2009 8:02 am
HARDSELL wrote:

If I recall correctly Dyson scored as high as your Hoovers.  As usual Clown Reports gives the award to the cheapest. 

Sorry HS, I don't recall.  Refresh my memory.  I'm old and forgetful.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #35   Oct 5, 2009 8:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
Sorry HS, I don't recall.  Refresh my memory.  I'm old and forgetful.

Carmine D.

Read the 2006 rankings.
CarmineD

Reply #36   Oct 5, 2009 8:32 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Read the 2006 rankings.

March or October?

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #37   Oct 23, 2009 8:02 am
Severus,

It's a truth that a happy customer tells 5-10 people about a purchase before it fades from the forefront of their memory.  An unhappy customer never really shuts up because every time he/she uses the offending article, the wound bleeds again.

I am not surprised that Rainbow carries a much higher rating from buyers than from Consumer reports. I have 2 D4s, 15 and 23 yrs old, that I use in cleaning houses. The Rainbow (and other separator using water based vacuums) show the dirt they pick up, don't release dust into the air when they are dumped, and don't lose suction (gee, that sounds familiar)  These vacuums do require a bit more care than most, but many do not seem to mind.  I have certainly received excellent value for my money.  Next time around, I probably will go with Miele, just because the performance and filtration are even better, with more convenience.

Replies: 1 - 37 of 37View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42