Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Original Message   Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am
Subscribers to consumerreports.org have been able to add user reviews of vacuums for several years now.  It's not uncommon to read a user taking CR to the woodshed for a shoddy product purchased due to CR's high ranking.  Some of the highest ranked products have some of the worst reviews.  I suspect CR readers are toughest on the highest ranked products and more lenient on lesser ranked products since expectations are lower.  The disagreement many times is associated with CR's overall criteria not aligning itself with the needs of some consumers.   For example, it is common to see a consumer complaining that the highly rated canister vacuum weighing in at 26 pounds is too difficult for them to handle.  Many complaints seem to deal with reliability.  

Rather surprisingly , the Rainbow which rates very poorly in the Consumer Reports ratings, gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from the users.  I don't know if this is a direct result of the sales pitch that goes with the Rainbow, or a deficiency in the testing by CR.   Dyson owners are especially testy.  They always seem surprised that their vacuums don't perform better in CR's tests carpet cleaning tests.  

It's difficult to know whether the user reviews will influence ratings in the future due to their inherent biases.  Perhaps CR will do a better job of evaluating reliability data in the future.   CR has reported that when they get a lot of user complaints about reliability, that they dig deeper into the members annual survey to look for problems.  However, users with problems are more likely to publish reviews than users that are content.  

I believe feedback from members has resulted in the tests on cleaning pet hair and more emphasis on lightweight and ease of use. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 11 - 20 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Reply #11   Sep 16, 2009 4:49 pm
HS:

Like SEVERUS says, CR has long written that while the HOOVER brand scores high in the tests, and is a best selling brand, it has been one of the least reliable brands tested.  Right!  You know that since you quoted it here many times.  Also as SEVERUS says with HOOVER's transition from Maytag to Whirlpool to TTI in a few short years what happens?  Some things suffer.  The loss of its senior experienced employees along with quality building.  

Venson nailed it on the head.  If customers do their research well, including seeking the advice of experts, and settle on a brand/model that CR is tepid about, then they need to make a purchase decision.  Their choice or CR.  For me that is an easy one.  My money, my choice.  If you let others tell you how to spend your money, whether CR and/or anyone else, that's on you, not them.  You are a problem not them.  CR or whoever you listen too is the easy party to blame when something goes wrong.  All the more reasons to do business with an indy.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #12   Sep 16, 2009 5:27 pm
HS: 

You liked the HOOVER bagged Platinum upright after using at SEARS.  CR rates it number 2.  Did you buy it because you liked and wanted it or because CR does?  Or both?

Before you answer, let me say and you probably know this already.  So it's redundant.  I wasn't impressed with the HOOVER lightweight.  I used it [in BEST BUY] and considered it for a gift to the Church parish Office when BB ran the sale several months ago for $299.  It is not as good on low pile carpets as ORECK's.  I don't care that CR subsequently rated HOOVER lightweigh bagged Platinum number 2.  Makes no difference to me in this case.  I'm gifting the ORECK XL Classic because the Church office has low pile carpets perfectly suited for ORECK uprights.  BTW, the reason in part ORECK's are ideal for all bare floors.  Even w/o a low speed, which coincidentally the HOOVER lightweigh has.  I think a lo-speed is a waste for most uprights on carpets, unless there are tools on board.  Just like the lo-speed on the mid-high end price ORECK's.  Waste.  One speed is fine for most users on carpets.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by CarmineD
budmattingly

Reply #13   Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm
I used to think Consumer Reports was gospel. I went to the library and read every back issue I could. At different times in the past, they have put useful detailed information in their report on each vacuum tested. ( Bag change indicator, two speed motor, cordwinder, how easy the bag or dust bin was to change or empty....I have some of the cleaners that they continually rate low or just average in carpet and hard floor cleaning. I totally disagree with them. As one example, I have two Rainbows, a Rainbow SE PE (my favorite of the Rainbows) and a Rainbow E Series. This year they gave the same Rainbow above average in hard floor cleaning that in the past has always gotten a fair...Rainbow has one of the best floor tools for hard service floors ever made, I even use it with my Electroluxes. In the past when they vacuum hard surface flooring, they use the power nozzle in stead of the floor tool that was made specifically for cleaning hard surface floors. That is complete stupidity! on their part. What changed this year? (The power nozzle didn't) I want to make one more point about Consume Reports. If you study the ratings from year to year on the same vacuum model they did the year before, it will be different and yet it is the same model. How can this be? I will continue to buy the vacuum issue even though I know I will disagree with them, but as a vacuum enthusiast I feel more prepared to filter out the good from the bad in their reports. Unfortunately regular consumers who could probably care less about a vacuum will unfortunately fall prey to their not so good testing methods.

Sincerely,

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #14   Sep 16, 2009 8:24 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

...tell how good the Tempo and other cheapies that you buy at the BB stores are.

HS:

You are quick to say you get what you pay for.  I'm not unless and until I know the facts.  I would buy and have bought "bagged" HOOVER TEMPO's at several different big box retail stores.  Make no mistakes.  Cheap in price has no bearing on cheap in product quality/performance.  Read the TEMPO reviews.  It is one of the highest if not the highest rated vacuum product by consumers for any and all vacuums regardless of the review sources. 

While spending in the range of $54-$80 for each of the the HOOVER TEMPO's I bought, they have all provided service and reliability comparable to vacuums costing much more.  As much as 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 times more in price.  With the same features too that are normally found on these more expensive vacuums.  Don't be so quick to judge.  Usually doing so makes for errors.  After a year's worth of use, the TEMPO's pre-motor and post motor filters looked brand new.  The benefits of using quality paper bags.  This vacuum comes with an UNCONDITIONAL ONE YEAR WARRANTY.  Everything is guaranteed even belts and bulbs! 

What I said works in reverse too.  Don't be so quick as you are to WRONGLY say that a product is of good quality and performance just because it sells at the highest prices in its class.  It's a marketing ploy that brand makers use to deceive, connive, and sell products that normally would not sell otherwise if properly marked for its worth/value. 

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #15   Sep 18, 2009 1:04 am
budmattingly wrote:
I used to think Consumer Reports was gospel. I went to the library and read every back issue I could. At different times in the past, they have put useful detailed information in their report on each vacuum tested. ( Bag change indicator, two speed motor, cordwinder, how easy the bag or dust bin was to change or empty....I have some of the cleaners that they continually rate low or just average in carpet and hard floor cleaning. I totally disagree with them. As one example, I have two Rainbows, a Rainbow SE PE (my favorite of the Rainbows) and a Rainbow E Series. This year they gave the same Rainbow above average in hard floor cleaning that in the past has always gotten a fair...Rainbow has one of the best floor tools for hard service floors ever made, I even use it with my Electroluxes. In the past when they vacuum hard surface flooring, they use the power nozzle in stead of the floor tool that was made specifically for cleaning hard surface floors. That is complete stupidity! on their part. What changed this year? (The power nozzle didn't) I want to make one more point about Consume Reports. If you study the ratings from year to year on the same vacuum model they did the year before, it will be different and yet it is the same model. How can this be? I will continue to buy the vacuum issue even though I know I will disagree with them, but as a vacuum enthusiast I feel more prepared to filter out the good from the bad in their reports. Unfortunately regular consumers who could probably care less about a vacuum will unfortunately fall prey to their not so good testing methods.

Sincerely,

Bud

One of the reasons that the ratings change is that the criteria changes to reflect the times.   for example, the tests on pet hair are relatively new.   The weightings of individual test scores may change to reflect the needs of subscribers.  For example, although carpet cleaning ability might be the most important factor, ease of use might be weighted more due to subscriber demands.  I say this based on the relatively high ratings of light weight vacuums.   Then again, these tend to be fan first designs which are very efficient. 

As I've stated before, I'm not certain I trust the results for the Rainbow.  The Rainbow is truly unique with the water filtration, and I'm not convinced that it's the worst vacuum tested on carpet.  That said, I wouldn't buy one due to the ridiculously high price and high maintenance.   However, the CR subscribers who own Rainbows and submit user reviews seem to love them.  There's something to be said about a vacuum that user's like. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #16   Sep 18, 2009 7:03 am
Hello SEVERUS, Bud:

I always chaulked up the differences to the people doing the tests.  They are subjective in their review of the findings and the results, not objective.  Perhaps that is oversimplifying, but not knowing the test procedures and processes doesn't make the matter better.  The example I would use is a supervisor evaluating his employees.  If a supervisor is very strict the evaluations are not as glowing as those given by a supervisor who is lenient. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Sep 18, 2009 7:06 am
WRT Rexair/Rainbows, I have found their product loyalty among users rivals that of KIRBY and Aerus [formerly Electrolux].  I have a dear friend who brags that he bought a new Rainbow over 40 years ago when he married.  His wife left him after a few years but he still has the Rainbow and it works perfectly.

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #18   Sep 18, 2009 11:53 am
CarmineD wrote:
WRT Rexair/Rainbows, I have found their product loyalty among users rivals that of KIRBY and Aerus [formerly Electrolux].  I have a dear friend who brags that he bought a new Rainbow over 40 years ago when he married.  His wife left him after a few years but he still has the Rainbow and it works perfectly.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I've always wondered how much influence the initial sales pitch has on Rainbow owners.   After all, they do have to buy into the argument that the Rainbow is much more than a vacuum - it is a cleaning system.   They use similar arguments to that of Dyson - no bags to clog.  I absolutely despised having to hold down a lever/button to keep the power nozzle on.  All door to door brands to their best to convince the consumer that their product is the only one that works.   I think that strong buy in by purchasers leads to some of the loyalty.

Venson

Reply #19   Sep 18, 2009 12:08 pm
Not an original thought on my part but keep in mind that we’re being “sold” daily and that we often buy with no other rationale than, “Gee, I like that!”

We’re being sold new lines of nonsense daily. Pet hair? Forty years ago I would not have bought a vacuum that could not remove pet hair. And forty years ago I found vacuums, even straight-suction machines, that met the challenge well and without benefit of ad campaigns. Why would I buy a machine that “specializes”? I want all I can get for my money. That matter is significant to me in that most of the people I know and have known maintain their households with a single vacuum cleaner to handle all related tasks.

Consumer Reports apparently has found a way to garner an income by purporting to aid consumers inundated by TV adverts, fast-talking doorbell ringers, unsolicited mail and its internet equivalent. Too much information sometimes being as bad as too little, they come away without a clue as to what will really suit their needs. Personally, I don’t think a magazine intended to be of service to consumers could last long if the majority of its readers found its assessments incorrect or ill-founded. Moving on . . .

Can’t remember whether it was this forum or another many of us had been members of in past but we’ve only had one associate that I can recall who bought vacuums to “test” them. This gentleman claimed he fed chosen test items sure-kill stuff like ash and similar substances and would then would offer his opinion of this or that machine’s capability. However he caught all heck from other forum members for taking the machines back to the place of purchase for a refund once he was done checking out their potential.

Though it may sound a little silly I say to anyone so inclined -- by all means throw a few ounces of sand or whatever you feel appropriate on your own rug and see if the vacuum you own or the machine you’ve been talked into buying provides results that are satisfying to YOU.

The everyday consumer’s usual judgment regarding good versus bad, as vacuum cleaners go, stems merely from what meets the eye. Even when we flip the switch to assess hose suction by feel we have little idea as to what actually happens at floor level.

Any vacuum that quickly removes visible dust, pet/people hair and litter from a rug’s surface is deemed good and then even better if a certain amount of features and/or niceties are thrown into the deal. BUT – there are also little battery operated floor sweepers that can remove all of the above without suction pretty well. Would we rate them as adequate because they made a carpet look good?

For the venturesome souls, every now and then put on your specs, get down on your hands and knees and do a hands-on check for yourself. If you can separate the tufts or fibers that compose your rug and get a view of the top side of its backing, the story is all there. In high traffic and seating areas throughout your household if you see little or no grit or dirt at the base of your carpet’s tufting then you – not just your vacuum – are doing a great job. (One doesn’t work well without the other.)

If on the other hand you do discover what you feel to be too much nasty stuff, the solution lies within a fair assessment of the problem.

1. Depending upon your individual home traffic situation, how often do you vacuum?
2. Has your vacuum been well maintained? (Not by your standards but per its user guide.)
3. Do you vacuum fast or slow? (Vacuuming too quickly is as bad as not vacuuming. Despite high suction and revolving brushes, a vacuum needs to be allowed time to work effectively.

Venson
Venson

Reply #20   Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm
Severus wrote:
. . . I absolutely despised having to hold down a lever/button to keep the power nozzle on.  . . .

Hi Severus,

In defense of Rainbow, the switch is a added safety mechanism. Rainbow has also further improved as it is now designed to remain inoperable if the motor unit is not seated on the water pan thus leaving the separator exposed.

A slight annoyance yes but anything may prove a boon as regards safety especially within households with children.

I can attest to this as when the old Electrolux XXX with detachable cords were around I stuck the end of a plugged in power cord in my mouth. Didn't take the curl out of a hair on my four-year old head head but it cured my curiosity as far as further experiments with electricity were concerned. I decided not to do it again. Luckily, I got a chance to make the decision. Another lucky event was the time a friend mine and I hosed down his pedal car and decided to dry it off with his mom's vacuum -- outdoors on the lawn.

Worst case scenario is the story of a toddler whom stuck the hose of an unattended running vacuum in his mouth and suffered permanent lung vacuum due to it.

All it takes is a second or so of diverted attention to open up all sorts of possibilities for injury to young ones. Electrical outlet covers, dead-man switches, and other devices can be annoying but lend to at least a little piece of mind.

Venson
Replies: 11 - 20 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42