Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Original Message   Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am
Subscribers to consumerreports.org have been able to add user reviews of vacuums for several years now.  It's not uncommon to read a user taking CR to the woodshed for a shoddy product purchased due to CR's high ranking.  Some of the highest ranked products have some of the worst reviews.  I suspect CR readers are toughest on the highest ranked products and more lenient on lesser ranked products since expectations are lower.  The disagreement many times is associated with CR's overall criteria not aligning itself with the needs of some consumers.   For example, it is common to see a consumer complaining that the highly rated canister vacuum weighing in at 26 pounds is too difficult for them to handle.  Many complaints seem to deal with reliability.  

Rather surprisingly , the Rainbow which rates very poorly in the Consumer Reports ratings, gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from the users.  I don't know if this is a direct result of the sales pitch that goes with the Rainbow, or a deficiency in the testing by CR.   Dyson owners are especially testy.  They always seem surprised that their vacuums don't perform better in CR's tests carpet cleaning tests.  

It's difficult to know whether the user reviews will influence ratings in the future due to their inherent biases.  Perhaps CR will do a better job of evaluating reliability data in the future.   CR has reported that when they get a lot of user complaints about reliability, that they dig deeper into the members annual survey to look for problems.  However, users with problems are more likely to publish reviews than users that are content.  

I believe feedback from members has resulted in the tests on cleaning pet hair and more emphasis on lightweight and ease of use. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 37NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Reply #1   Sep 16, 2009 12:34 pm
Hello Severus:

You, as a poster on the same vacuum Forums for many years as me, know my opinions about Consumer Reports.  It is a necessary evil.  In my store years, vacuum consumers inevitably cited CR ratings and as an expert I had to know and respond. 

While I accept their ratings and rankings as comparative test scores, that's all they are.  Like CPA's, lawyers, HS students who take tests, pass, even with honors, then proceed to be the worse/fail in college.  There are no tests developed/used that measure product reliability and performance over time. 

CR's reliability tests leave alot to be desired.  Asking consumers is probably the worse source in most cases.  Experts in the field are the best sources, because as you say they see the repairs and have to service the products.  They know the absolute best.  If the experts sell and repair brands, those brands are the best on the market. 

Obviously CR places more importance on its findings and results than the experts in the field do.  That divide has to be narrowed if CR is to gain the earned respect of the industry pros and consumers.  CR has to come more in line with the opinions, knowledge and experience of the pros.  CR has gotten much better over the years.  Making some right on calls but some very bad ones too.  For the most part, CR still does things their own way after all these years.  While adding more realistic tests and brands and models, CR hasn't really changed the script very much over time. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #2   Sep 16, 2009 12:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Severus:

You, as a poster on the same vacuum Forums for many years as me, know my opinions about Consumer Reports.  It is a necessary evil.  In my store years, vacuum consumers inevitably cited CR ratings and as an expert I had to know and respond. 

While I accept their ratings and rankings as comparative test scores, that's all they are.  Like CPA's, lawyers, HS students who take tests, pass, even with honors, then proceed to be the worse/fail in college.  There are no tests developed/used that measure product reliability and performance over time. 

CR's reliability tests leave alot to be desired.  Asking consumers is probably the worse source in most cases.  Experts in the field are the best sources, because as you say they see the repairs and have to service the products.  They know the absolute best.  If the experts sell and repair brands, those brands are the best on the market. 

Obviously CR places more importance on its findings and results than the experts in the field do.  That divide has to be narrowed if CR is to gain the earned respect of the industry pros and consumers.  CR has to come more in line with the opinions, knowledge and experience of the pros.  CR has gotten much better over the years.  Making some right on calls but some very bad ones too.  For the most part, CR still does things their own way after all these years.  While adding more realistic tests and brands and models, CR hasn't really changed the script very much over time. 

Carmine D.

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP
CarmineD

Reply #3   Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm
HS:

What part of:  CR is a guide, a starting place, not the gospel and not the be all and end all, don't you understand?  And also my corollary:  The experts and pros in the vacuum industry are the best source of knowledge and experience on products.

Of course with CR stuck in your craw over the dyson product performance debacles AND your limited vocabulary, you will plenty of difficulty putting words to your thoughts to answer my question. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #4   Sep 16, 2009 1:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

What part of:  CR is a guide, a starting place, not the gospel and not the be all and end all, don't you understand?  And also my corrolary with it:  The experts and pros in the vacuum industry are the best source of knowledge and experience on products.

Of course with your limited vocabulary, you may have difficulty putting words to your thoughts. 

Carmine D.

If CR boosts your argument you tell how their tests are accurate and not slanted.  If not they are only a reference. 

You have disagreed with me numerous times when I said their tests do not reflect real world useage and user opinions. Now you say they are not the gospel.

FLOP FLOP.

CarmineD

Reply #5   Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm
HS:

You're full of BS, as always HS.  Making quotes and refernces to CR's findings and results is not defending them, supporting them, or agreeing with them.  Consumers have to be the judge of the CR findings and results with their choices and purchase decisions.  Industry experts and pros are THE best source of authoritative experience and judgement. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Sep 16, 2009 1:39 pm
HS:

CR has called all the dysons [DC07, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23] right save one.  The DC11.  CR gave it high grades.  It flopped and was pulled from the US.  Of course, even before CR blew this one, several vacuum experts, including me, called it unsuitable for US carpets. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #7   Sep 16, 2009 1:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

CR has called all the dysons [DC07, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23] right save one.  The DC11.  CR gave it high grades.  It flopped and was pulled from the US.  Of course, even before CR blew this one, several vacuum experts, including me, called it unsuitable for US carpets. 

Carmine D.

They also failed to tell of all the problems associated with their highly rated WT's.    Read all the consumer complaints abot this POS called a vacuum.

Oh, I forgot.  Those reviews are ficticious unless they tell how good the Tempo and other cheapies that you buy at the BB stores are.

I bet that CR and you claim Oreck to be suited for all carpet.

Venson

Reply #8   Sep 16, 2009 1:57 pm
Hi Severus,

The big problem here is that people want to take Consumer Reports as being tantamount to the word of the Lord and that's not possible. The real deal is that shoppers for whatever product should educate themselves as to how x-appliance works and what features may supply highest efficiency and easiest use. The vac repair people here know that consumers seldom do that.

As for disagreement as to someone's dislike of what I perceive as a winner -- what of it? As long as I have it and am happy who cares if CR doesn't give it the glowing praise I do?

CR would be better served to as well emphasize the issue of generally good features to prospective vacuum buyers by way component design, easy height adjustment systems, exhaust placement, dust capacity, easy maintenance, etc. Yet, as I consider it, that too would require more pages than are practical or profitable for them to lend to a specific topic if all we're talking is household appliances.

Did you know that the shape of a blender jar or a food mixer bowl can influence how well they work? People in general never think about things like that. They just run to the store with their money expecting to buy solutions for their needs and problems.

Considering price alone, there is nothing to recommend a new Rainbow, Kirby, Miele, Filter Queen or Aerus over many other machines on the market. You may even end up with a little more for your buck because, just like ugly girls, some of the lesser priced brands try harder to please.

However, if someone really wanted one, I have no qualms about suggesting that they go for a used or rebuilt machine within those brand areas. But, getting back to CR . . .

I have always done my shopping for myself. When I shop I know what is important to me as well as what will work. I bone up on the brands, their features and also do my best with whatever accessible information available to learn what is required on my part to get the best out of what I buy. I've used CR for years merely as a guide not a deliverer of gospel and have been pleased.

Best,

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #9   Sep 16, 2009 2:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

You're full of BS, as always HS.  Making quotes and refernces to CR's findings and results is not defending them, supporting them, or agreeing with them.  Consumers have to be the judge of the CR findings and results with their choices and purchase decisions.  Industry experts and pros are THE best source of authoritative experience and judgement. 

Carmine D.

Right on.  I am full up with your BS and pee poor excuses for a pro.  Again, you quote as if it is the gospel then say they are for reading purposes only.

Dyson kicked you arse over your shoulders and Hoover bounced you out on your arse like a basketball.

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #10   Sep 16, 2009 3:54 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
They also failed to tell of all the problems associated with their highly rated WT's.    Read all the consumer complaints abot this POS called a vacuum.

Oh, I forgot.  Those reviews are ficticious unless they tell how good the Tempo and other cheapies that you buy at the BB stores are.

I bet that CR and you claim Oreck to be suited for all carpet.

Hardsell,

CR does not evaluate performance on all carpet types.  They only run tests on medium pile carpeting.   That's certainly a limitation of their testing, although they do supplement their testing with in home testing by employees of CU.   I would think that almost any vacuum would do really well on low pile carpeting.   If I had really thick carpeting, I would want to pick a vacuum that scored very good or excellent in the carpet cleaning tests.   Most Oreck buyers made their choice due to the light weight rather than anything else. 

By the way, CR does make a point of Hoover's less than stellar reliability.  However, they don't have enough data since the takeover by TTI to comment on whether reliability has improved.   CR does not provide reliability data by model, only by manufacturer. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 37NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42