Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Original Message   Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am
Subscribers to consumerreports.org have been able to add user reviews of vacuums for several years now.  It's not uncommon to read a user taking CR to the woodshed for a shoddy product purchased due to CR's high ranking.  Some of the highest ranked products have some of the worst reviews.  I suspect CR readers are toughest on the highest ranked products and more lenient on lesser ranked products since expectations are lower.  The disagreement many times is associated with CR's overall criteria not aligning itself with the needs of some consumers.   For example, it is common to see a consumer complaining that the highly rated canister vacuum weighing in at 26 pounds is too difficult for them to handle.  Many complaints seem to deal with reliability.  

Rather surprisingly , the Rainbow which rates very poorly in the Consumer Reports ratings, gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from the users.  I don't know if this is a direct result of the sales pitch that goes with the Rainbow, or a deficiency in the testing by CR.   Dyson owners are especially testy.  They always seem surprised that their vacuums don't perform better in CR's tests carpet cleaning tests.  

It's difficult to know whether the user reviews will influence ratings in the future due to their inherent biases.  Perhaps CR will do a better job of evaluating reliability data in the future.   CR has reported that when they get a lot of user complaints about reliability, that they dig deeper into the members annual survey to look for problems.  However, users with problems are more likely to publish reviews than users that are content.  

I believe feedback from members has resulted in the tests on cleaning pet hair and more emphasis on lightweight and ease of use. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 31 - 37 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: rebellion on www.ConsumerReports.org?
Reply #31   Oct 5, 2009 7:01 am
HS:

Still back peddling and pay toilet shuffling. 

In order to know/opine on how the big box store vacuums perform against the indy brands, and the sales business at both, I visit both and buy/use both big box rip off and indy store brands.  Yes, you're right, I have connections with big box store staff and indies all over the country.  I was in the vacuum business and industry for over 55 years and just recently retired in 2006.  I know people who know people.  That's better as a frame of reference than your lawnmower sales and service store!

BTW, $399 for a dyson DC07 [before discounts] is not a $54-$75 HOOVER cheapie.  Tho, the $59 HOOVER TEMPO as Consumer Reports says cleans and grooms circles around a DC07.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #32   Oct 5, 2009 7:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Still back peddling and pay toilet shuffling. 

In order to know/opine on how the big box store vacuums perform against the indy brands, and the sales business at both, I visit both and buy/use both big box rip off and indy store brands.  Yes, you're right, I have connections with big box store staff and indies all over the country.  I was in the vacuum business and industry for over 55 years and just recently retired in 2006.  I know people who know people.  That's better as a frame of reference than your lawnmower sales and service store!

BTW, $399 for a dyson DC07 [before discounts] is not a $54-$75 HOOVER cheapie.  Tho, the $59 HOOVER TEMPO as Consumer Reports says cleans and grooms circles around a DC07.

Carmine D.

You are the back peddler.  I do not suck up to the pros only to rush to a bb store and buy my goods.

Over the years your conversations have been about the vac lines carried in the bb stores.  We have heard how you stalk the bb employees and work the customers on the parking lots.  No mention of Jim, Joe, Bill or whomever at the indy store.

If I recall correctly Dyson scored as high as your Hoovers.  As usual Clown Reports gives the award to the cheapest. 

CarmineD

Reply #33   Oct 5, 2009 8:00 am
HS:

I can't help you if you can't read and comprehend correctly.  Maybe you should stop back peddling and pay toilet shuffling for awhile and focus on reading.

Since living here in Las Vegas the last 3 years I posted here and to you offline that 2 indies have asked me to repair and refurb their unclaimed/traded dysons.  While THE authorized dyson dealer in North Las Vegas, not one of the other 2, won't sell DC25 ball models due the faulty motor wiring harness.  In addition, I know the store managers and staff at both ORECK stores in my area.  And do business with one store regularly. 

Not to mention that the manager of the Las Vegas Aerus store wants me to mentor its sales staff on the history of the vacuum industry.

Did you miss all those? 

Carmine D.   

CarmineD

Reply #34   Oct 5, 2009 8:02 am
HARDSELL wrote:

If I recall correctly Dyson scored as high as your Hoovers.  As usual Clown Reports gives the award to the cheapest. 

Sorry HS, I don't recall.  Refresh my memory.  I'm old and forgetful.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #35   Oct 5, 2009 8:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
Sorry HS, I don't recall.  Refresh my memory.  I'm old and forgetful.

Carmine D.

Read the 2006 rankings.
CarmineD

Reply #36   Oct 5, 2009 8:32 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Read the 2006 rankings.

March or October?

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #37   Oct 23, 2009 8:02 am
Severus,

It's a truth that a happy customer tells 5-10 people about a purchase before it fades from the forefront of their memory.  An unhappy customer never really shuts up because every time he/she uses the offending article, the wound bleeds again.

I am not surprised that Rainbow carries a much higher rating from buyers than from Consumer reports. I have 2 D4s, 15 and 23 yrs old, that I use in cleaning houses. The Rainbow (and other separator using water based vacuums) show the dirt they pick up, don't release dust into the air when they are dumped, and don't lose suction (gee, that sounds familiar)  These vacuums do require a bit more care than most, but many do not seem to mind.  I have certainly received excellent value for my money.  Next time around, I probably will go with Miele, just because the performance and filtration are even better, with more convenience.

Replies: 31 - 37 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42