Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 507 - 516 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HankJones

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #507   May 30, 2009 11:05 am
FYI--Hoover made a prototype for a vacuum being centered on a ball about 10 years ago.  They decided not to go forward with the plans due to poor customer reception.

Guess Dyson is copying Hoover...again.

HARDSELL

Reply #508   May 30, 2009 11:14 am
HankJones wrote:
Oreck and Hoover were the 2 companies in upright vacuum market to gain market share.  All others including Dyson lost market share last year.

Hoover gained double digit market share in the extraction market.

What are the market share values for Dyson Hoover and Oreck?

DysonInventsBig

Reply #509   May 30, 2009 12:15 pm
HankJones wrote:
FYI--Hoover made a prototype for a vacuum being centered on a ball about 10 years ago.  They decided not to go forward with the plans due to poor customer reception.

Guess Dyson is copying Hoover...again.

It that were true, Dyson’s competitors (many are enemies) would attack the Ball technologies patents and prove them to be invalid.  A patent search proves that it was an ex-furniture designer turned Dyson design-engineer who alone created the [Dyson] steerable Ball. 

MooseUK provided video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPlYR6Hql8

DIB
This message was modified May 30, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #510   May 30, 2009 1:16 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Actually I have to agree that Dyson and Oreck should not be compared as niche vacs. Although you are calling the wrong one a niche vac.

Oreck does not qualify as a full sized industry standard vac.  Dyson does. 

Oreck brush can't be turned off.  Dyson can.

Oreck includes a gimmick gift so that they can justify a high price for obsolete technology with cheap parts. Dyson does not.

Orecks strong point is being light weight and is marketed to the elderly and weaker users.  Dyson is marketed to all users.

Oreck is sold only through exclusively Oreck stores (BIG NICHE). Dyson is not.

I could go on with reasons to show Oreck as a niche and Dyson as a standard, however, you should get the point.

BTW, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CONTINUES TO MAKE ALL THE COMPARISONS IN AN ATTEMPT TO TWIST THE TRUTH ABOUT A SIMPLE QUESTION THAT I ASKED.

Hello HS et al:

The ORECK business model is excellent and serves ORECK well as a nationwide provider of vacuums and floorcare products, parts and servicing.  All the commentary about ORECK stores and their staffs are always favorable.  It is the standard for the industry to emulate.  ORECK has never shuttered a store in its entire history and opens new ones all the time and still.  

ORECK suffered huge losses to its inventory, factory and headquarters after Katrina in 2005.   Most vacuum makers would have declared defeat, raised the white flag and folded up.  Some here predicted it would happen.  They were all wrong.  ORECK rebounded without missing a beat.  While most vacuum brand sales were tanking fast in 2008 due to the economic and consumer spending malaise, ORECK bucked the trend.  Even buys halo, which went belly up in less than a year.  ORECK is expanding its floorcare reportoire with several to be launched soon.  Like the Steam It, I posted about.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #511   May 30, 2009 1:26 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
It that were true, Dyson’s competitors (many are enemies) would attack the Ball technologies patents and prove them to be invalid.  A patent search proves that it was an ex-furniture designer turned Dyson design-engineer who alone created the [Dyson] steerable Ball. 

MooseUK provided video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPlYR6Hql8

DIB

If the ball vacuum is/was a success, perhaps it would be relevant to say who was first.  It's not.  Just the opposite.  The real issue is that the ball vacuum, like the dyson ball barrel, has proved to be a dud in the market place.  It is not worthy of a position in any vacuum brand's product lineup.  Lest the is arrogant, self-righteous, and because it employs an army of engineers and designers, believes it knows better what the buying public wants than the public themselve.  However, the down side of this thinking is that it is often the first step down the slippery path to oblivion.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #512   May 30, 2009 1:31 pm
PS:  An ex-furniture designer is reponsible for the ball vacuum!  No doubt the reason he is no longer employed in the furniture business.

Carmine D. 

mole

Reply #513   May 30, 2009 2:08 pm
Lets throw this into the mix,just got done repairing a dc18 with the ball set up, The divertor valve inside the lower motor housing was stuck open,but the machine was real hard to manuver the machine was less than a year old,I know the machine was under warranty but the customer did not want to go thru the hassles dealing with dyson on getting it fixed under warranty[her words not mine].

Is dyson having problems with the ball mechanism not working properly it seemed to have a skipping and sticking problem,

I had 2 hours into the repair and did not charge the customer,she asked me if would happen again[ i just schrugged and said maybe i dont know] if i charged her for the repair then i would have been responsible for future problems] did not want to put my reputation on the line.

i know i wont get a strait answer from the dyson faithful here on the forum, but how can the engineers at dyson honestly let this product out to the public knowing that the problems are there.

It should be under a worldwide recall..............

regards

MOLE

This message was modified May 30, 2009 by mole
HARDSELL

Reply #514   May 30, 2009 2:31 pm
mole wrote:
Lets throw this into the mix,just got done repairing a dc18 with the ball set up, The divertor valve inside the lower motor housing was stuck open,but the machine was real hard to manuver the machine was less than a year old,I know the machine was under warranty but the customer did not want to go thru the hassles dealing with dyson on getting it fixed under warranty[her words not mine].

Is dyson having problems with the ball mechanism not working properly it seemed to have a skipping and sticking problem,

I had 2 hours into the repair and did not charge the customer,she asked me if would happen again[ i just schrugged and said maybe i dont know] if i charged her for the repair then i would have been responsible for future problems] did not want to put my reputation on the line.

i know i wont get a strait answer from the dyson faithful here on the forum, but how can the engineers at dyson honestly let this product out to the public knowing that the problems are there.

It should be under a worldwide recall..............

regards

MOLE

Good to know that you are making a living with the dragster.  You simply could not survive on 1 repair a week. Especially since you do not charge for repairs.

On the other hand I suspect that you make a decent living repairing all those other brands.  Why else would a repairman want to see them sold.  No problems, no income.

HARDSELL

Reply #515   May 30, 2009 2:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS et al:

The ORECK business model is excellent and serves ORECK well as a nationwide provider of vacuums and floorcare products, parts and servicing.  All the commentary about ORECK stores and their staffs are always favorable.  It is the standard for the industry to emulate.  ORECK has never shuttered a store in its entire history and opens new ones all the time and still.  

ORECK suffered huge losses to its inventory, factory and headquarters after Katrina in 2005.   Most vacuum makers would have declared defeat, raised the white flag and folded up.  Some here predicted it would happen.  They were all wrong.  ORECK rebounded without missing a beat.  While most vacuum brand sales were tanking fast in 2008 due to the economic and consumer spending malaise, ORECK bucked the trend.  Even buys halo, which went belly up in less than a year.  ORECK is expanding its floorcare reportoire with several to be launched soon.  Like the Steam It, I posted about.  

Carmine D.

Dyson still kicked you and Hoover regardless of how you avoid the truth.  My experience in an Oreck store is not so favorable. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #516   May 30, 2009 4:24 pm
It's true...
I've seen the data (charting).  As Dyson's upright share rose, Hoovers dove.  Fact!  All other mfgs. basically stayed flat.

DIB
This message was modified May 30, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 507 - 516 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42