Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 517 - 526 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #517   May 30, 2009 5:33 pm
mole wrote:
Lets throw this into the mix,just got done repairing a dc18 with the ball set up, The divertor valve inside the lower motor housing was stuck open,but the machine was real hard to manuver the machine was less than a year old,I know the machine was under warranty but the customer did not want to go thru the hassles dealing with dyson on getting it fixed under warranty[her words not mine].

Is dyson having problems with the ball mechanism not working properly it seemed to have a skipping and sticking problem,

I had 2 hours into the repair and did not charge the customer,she asked me if would happen again[ i just schrugged and said maybe i dont know] if i charged her for the repair then i would have been responsible for future problems] did not want to put my reputation on the line.

i know i wont get a strait answer from the dyson faithful here on the forum, but how can the engineers at dyson honestly let this product out to the public knowing that the problems are there.

It should be under a worldwide recall..............

regards

MOLE

Hi Mole:

Very gracious gesture on your part.  Excellent good will. 

2 dyson dealers in North Las Vegas have offered me part time positions [I won't take anything full time] to repair and refurb dysons.  BTW, they also sell and repair MIELE, RICCAR, BOSCH and a host of others.  The dysons with the clutches [DC07 and DC14] are the most problem/repair prone high priced brand in their stores.  I mentioned that the DC25 's, which one store sells ON REQUEST ONLY, have been coming back with defective wiring harnesses that break too easily and too soon after purchase.  The store won't sell the DC15 and DC24.  The owner/manager said that he will probably add the DC25 soon to the list of the ball models that he will not sell.  Next time I visit, I'll ask about the DC18.  I didn't see any in his store for sale/repair, so maybe it was scrubbed already.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 30, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #518   May 30, 2009 5:39 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
It's true...
I've seen the data (charting).  As Dyson's upright share rose, Hoovers dove.  Fact!  All other mfgs. basically stayed flat.

DIB

HankJones wrote:
Oreck and Hoover were the 2 companies in upright vacuum market to gain market share.  All others including Dyson lost market share last year.

Hoover gained double digit market share in the extraction market.

There is a contradiction of facts in the above statements.  Who's right and wrong?  Can't both be true unless then posters are talking about different time frames.  It is, as I tell HARDSELL about his posts and questions a logical contradiction.  Clarify please with source and references and time frames.  Thanks.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #519   May 30, 2009 11:21 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Mole:

Very gracious gesture on your part.  Excellent good will. 

2 dyson dealers in North Las Vegas have offered me part time positions [I won't take anything full time] to repair and refurb dysons.  BTW, they also sell and repair MIELE, RICCAR, BOSCH and a host of others.  The dysons with the clutches [DC07 and DC14] are the most problem/repair prone high priced brand in their stores.  I mentioned that the DC25 's, which one store sells ON REQUEST ONLY, have been coming back with defective wiring harnesses that break too easily and too soon after purchase.  The store won't sell the DC15 and DC24.  The owner/manager said that he will probably add the DC25 soon to the list of the ball models that he will not sell.  Next time I visit, I'll ask about the DC18.  I didn't see any in his store for sale/repair, so maybe it was scrubbed already.

Carmine D.

What can you tell us about the Hoovers that were causing fires due to faulty switches?  Seems as if they have had faulty switches since 1999. Hoover had to recall over a half million vacs in 2005 because of defective switches.  Jump to 2007. Maybe the cost of that recall was so severe that it prompted them not to notify the CPSC of sales of vacuum cleaners with another defective switch that can cause fire.  THEY PAID A $750,000 CIVIL PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT.

The pressure from Dyson was just too much for Hoover.  They resorted to using dangerously defective parts, then spending mega bucks on recalls and finally hiding a dangerous defect from the CPSC.

WOW,  DYSON SURE HAS PINCHED YOU AND HOOVER.  NO WONDER YOU TWIST AT THE BIG D WORD.

mole

Reply #520   May 31, 2009 6:44 am
HARDSELL wrote:
  You simply could not survive on 1 repair a week. Especially since you do not charge for repairs.

On the other hand I suspect that you make a decent living repairing all those other brands.  Why else would a repairman want to see them sold.  No problems, no income.

Hey H.S. long time no see, I repaired the dc18 on my own time,just  had to find out why the machine only worked in the hose /attachment mode.Almost gave up after 2 hours but me being me l really hate getting beat by problems that are related to my business you know the deal[like the factory trained lexus tech that cant figure out whats going on with a certain electrical or mechanical gremlin,and besides no one else would even take the dyson in to even look at it,I gained more product knowledge and probaly made in the long run more good customers and money than charging the shop rate and gave her the bums rush out the door,
Another thing not to do to a customer is repremand them for not buying the product you sell,It makes them feel stupid and ashamed,they already know that they bought a CLAM, why rub their nose in it?

regards

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #521   May 31, 2009 6:48 am
HARDSELL wrote:
What can you tell us about the Hoovers that were causing fires due to faulty switches?  Seems as if they have had faulty switches since 1999. Hoover had to recall over a half million vacs in 2005 because of defective switches.  Jump to 2007. Maybe the cost of that recall was so severe that it prompted them not to notify the CPSC of sales of vacuum cleaners with another defective switch that can cause fire.  THEY PAID A $750,000 CIVIL PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT.

The pressure from Dyson was just too much for Hoover.  They resorted to using dangerously defective parts, then spending mega bucks on recalls and finally hiding a dangerous defect from the CPSC.

WOW,  DYSON SURE HAS PINCHED YOU AND HOOVER.  NO WONDER YOU TWIST AT THE BIG D WORD.

HARDSELL, you're still living in the past and the once glory days of dyson in the USA.  They're gone.  Finito.  You're still, like many of your dyson admirers here who cringe at the truth telling of dyson's deceit, brainwashed from the dyson bagless bin sales propaganda.  

In 2007, Whirlpool was the proud owner of HOOVER and the switch recall was long over and resolved.  I blame MAYTAG's incompetent  management for the delay in notifying the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2005.  The latter is the reason, at least in part, that the CPSC monetary fine [$750,000], since no damage was done from the defective switches except to the vacuum, was excessive.  Highest if I recall ever assessed by the CPSC on an aplpliance maker.  The CPSC made an example of MAYTAG's time delay, as well it should.  HOOVER suffered the consequences at the fault of MAYTAG.

HOOVER did a yeoman's job on the recall and replacing the faulty switches for WT users.  Fast forward to March 2009 and the battery pack fires in the Electrolux Pronto/Ergorapido.  The entire product line was at risk, not just a batch of faulty switches like the HOOVER WT.   No fine was assessed to Electrolux by the CPSC.  The entire line was withdrawn for several months and completely replaced. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #522   May 31, 2009 6:56 am
PS HARDSELL: Thanks for bringing up this old CPSC case and HOOVER.  I had thought of making a comparison between how the CPSC handled HOOVER and its faulty batch of WT switches and Electrolux AB Homecare with the battery packs in two entire lines of stick vacuums.  As you recall, I posted about the Electrolux recall here.  I decided not to make mention of the glaring descrepancy at the time.  Your question obviously changed my perspective.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #523   May 31, 2009 7:40 am
PS 2:

FWIW, the recent handling of Electrolux by the CPSC gives HOOVER the circumstances and opportunity to appeal the monetary fine of $750,000 in 2005, if HOOVER/TTI has not done so already.  Since the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this case,  HOOVER/TTI can file an appeal with the courts and protest the amount of the CPSC fine.  I would especially since the assessed fine amount was by any and all measures excessive and exobitant.   HOOVER/TTI would prevail in my opinion, especially in light of the recent Electrolux case.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #524   May 31, 2009 8:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
HARDSELL, you're still living in the past and the once glory days of dyson in the USA.  They're gone.  Finito.  You're still, like many of your dyson admirers here who cringe at the truth telling of dyson's deceit, brainwashed from the dyson bagless bin sales propaganda.  

In 2007, Whirlpool was the proud owner of HOOVER and the switch recall was long over and resolved.  I blame MAYTAG's incompetent  management for the delay in notifying the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2005.  The latter is the reason, at least in part, that the CPSC monetary fine [$750,000], since no damage was done from the defective switches except to the vacuum, was excessive.  Highest if I recall ever assessed by the CPSC on an aplpliance maker.  The CPSC made an example of MAYTAG's time delay, as well it should.  HOOVER suffered the consequences at the fault of MAYTAG.

HOOVER did a yeoman's job on the recall and replacing the faulty switches for WT users.  Fast forward to March 2009 and the battery pack fires in the Electrolux Pronto/Ergorapido.  The entire product line was at risk, not just a batch of faulty switches like the HOOVER WT.   No fine was assessed to Electrolux by the CPSC.  The entire line was withdrawn for several months and completely replaced. 

Carmine D.

Carmine, I have never thought you to be stupid.  I am now having doubts.  My point is simple.  Dyson is not the only brand who has had or will have defects. One minute you claim Hoover is alive the next you say it is owned by someone else.  Hoover as Hoover is dead.  Dyson probably has a RIP Hoover head stone out back since they put them down.  If you have inside info please share with us.  I am not aware of Dyson being sold nor declaring bankruptcy.  There are many in Canton who can tell you that Hoover no longer provides them a living.  WHO IS LIVING IN THE PAST?

This all started when I stated that Dyson seems to be taking the path of Hoover.  Too many models being introduced with no beneficial improvements.  Dyson IMO should have kept the DC07.  Like any other vacuum, it was not for everyone. I would have liked a manual height adjust but would rather have brush off switch if could not have both. They could have another model w/o clutch to fit the needs of those who have odd carpets and pets with sensitive hearing.  They may not be able to satisfy cantankerous old poops with anything.

HARDSELL

Reply #525   May 31, 2009 8:33 am
mole wrote:
Hey H.S. long time no see, I repaired the dc18 on my own time,just  had to find out why the machine only worked in the hose /attachment mode.Almost gave up after 2 hours but me being me l really hate getting beat by problems that are related to my business you know the deal[like the factory trained lexus tech that cant figure out whats going on with a certain electrical or mechanical gremlin,and besides no one else would even take the dyson in to even look at it,I gained more product knowledge and probaly made in the long run more good customers and money than charging the shop rate and gave her the bums rush out the door,
Another thing not to do to a customer is repremand them for not buying the product you sell,It makes them feel stupid and ashamed,they already know that they bought a CLAM, why rub their nose in it?

regards

MOLE

Mole, is Dyson the only brand that has problems?  Likely not since you almost gave up on the fix.  I bet that you can repair those other brands with a low E.T. since you have to repair so many.
CarmineD

Reply #526   May 31, 2009 9:09 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine, I have never thought you to be stupid.  I am now having doubts.  My point is simple.  Dyson is not the only brand who has had or will have defects. One minute you claim Hoover is alive the next you say it is owned by someone else.  Hoover as Hoover is dead.  Dyson probably has a RIP Hoover head stone out back since they put them down.  If you have inside info please share with us.  I am not aware of Dyson being sold nor declaring bankruptcy.  There are many in Canton who can tell you that Hoover no longer provides them a living.  WHO IS LIVING IN THE PAST?

This all started when I stated that Dyson seems to be taking the path of Hoover.  Too many models being introduced with no beneficial improvements.  Dyson IMO should have kept the DC07.  Like any other vacuum, it was not for everyone. I would have liked a manual height adjust but would rather have brush off switch if could not have both. They could have another model w/o clutch to fit the needs of those who have odd carpets and pets with sensitive hearing.  They may not be able to satisfy cantankerous old poops with anything.

HARDSELL:  I have no doubts about you.  You're stuck in a dyson rut.  HOOVER, as in the BOSS, is dead.  The company has lived for over one hundred years and still.  A good part of which was under the tutelage of non-HOOVER family members, like MAYTAG, Whirlpool and now TTI.  Things never stay the same.  Not for HOOVER, not for other companies.  We live in a dynamic business world with changing economies and consumers.  HOOVER weathered all the changing times.  I can't say the same for your favorite company.

Carmine D.

Replies: 517 - 526 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42