Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

A question . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm
Hi,

Who thinks the day will come, and how long will it take, when the "vacuum cleaner" will generally be accepted as just a hole in the wall that we plug a hose into? No more cyclones, water baths or super-duper filtering for alllergy sufferers.  No thought over buying canister or upright and what warranty length is.  No more concerns about cord length or operating noise levels.  I'm not just talking central vacuum system but also of a possible change in our view of practicality.  The day is not that far away when our computers will also be our telephone and TV among other things.  Come to think of it they are now though not widely employed.  Does anyone feel central vacuum systems may one day be provided in apartment buildings and other multiple dwelling as a given as well as in individual private homes?

Thanks,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 7 - 16 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Gail

Re: A question . . .
Reply #7   Feb 2, 2009 3:20 pm
I used to live in an upscale rental apartment (about 8 stories) built in the 60's that had a central vaccuum system. The suction was very poor.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Feb 2, 2009 4:28 pm
CVS are more popular now than they have been since 1949.  But...........portable standalone vacuums are here for at least another 100 years.   

Venson, in the USA, the non-electric carpet sweeper has been around since 1868.  Royal since 1905.  Of course, HOOVER since June 1907 when Spangler patented and then sold the rights to BOSS HOOVER.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #9   Feb 2, 2009 4:30 pm
Hi Gail,

Although I have heard of central vacuums and even central refrigeration being installed as far back as the very late 1800s and early 1900s in certain luxury mutiple dwelling spaces here in New York, I have not heard about the extensive like use of central vacuums in later years.

This is a guess but the central system in your building back in the 1960s may have performed poorly due to the main source of vacuum trouble -- people. It would be very hard to monitor and maintain a central vacuum in an apartment building with many tenants. Careless adults and children finding fun things to feed "the hole in wall" can quickly lead to problems and maintenance expense for both building owners and maintenance people.

There are specialed central vacuums (bagged with highly filtered exhausts) being sold to individual apartment and condo dwellers but for all the building we've done here in the last several years central vacuuming supplied as part of the package in multiple dwellings has never been offered, at least to my knowledge. If it were, you can be assured already expensive rents and sale prices would be marked up even higher.

Anther reason may have been a badly thought out system. By the way what part of the country was you building in?

Thanks for sharing . . .

Venson
Trebor

Reply #10   Feb 2, 2009 4:43 pm
If vacuums had not become a disposable item, we might well be on the way to centrals being the norm. Centrals got a bad rep when shag carpet came into vouge. With only air-driven power heads (pre Turbo-Cat) they failed miserably. The earliest power nozzles had the cord clipped along the length of the hose. Central vac is an idea whose time has come again, with the technology now to provide better suction and airflow, lighter hoses and so many conveniences I predict they will catch on more and more as people realize they can be installed easily in existing homes. For the cost of, say, a Kirby, a CV can be installed in most any home, and plenty of Kirbys have been sold in 1200 sq ft homes. Most people have never even heard of central vacuums. Where is the national media advertising for central vacuums? Most people who were unhappy with a central vac had one that was 1) underpowered for the home 2) had a botched installation 3) were never shown how to vacuum with the long hose. One thing to consider is the eventual loss of some airflow over time due to scarring on the tubing walls. Hundreds of times I showed the need for a new hose on an Electrolux because the existing hose would not allow the machine to pick up all 4 steel spheres in the clear plastic cup. (This is airflow, not suction, the cup is narrower toward the bottom) With a new hose, viola! snap! snap! snap! snap! The sand and grit sucked up do wear away at the interior, which is way going one unit larger than the manufacturer suggests is a good idea. I think the FlowMaxGold tubing is an excellent idea. All virgin vinyl, 5' lengths to reduce the need for cutting, and to make it easy to feed into wall cavities, and flange ends to join lengths together without additional couplings.
This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by Trebor
M00seUK

Reply #11   Feb 2, 2009 4:55 pm
While it's possible they exist in some places, I've never seen central vacs advertised as part of a new build or *anybody* here in the UK having them as part of their house.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Feb 3, 2009 7:00 am
It seems CVS are more popular in Canada than the USA.  With the housing market tanking, builders and contractors will look to reduce amenities, like CVS, to make new houses more affordable.  Once the economy turns around and heads up [years], more likely to see the extras added back to new homes.

Cordless technologies will cement portables and standalone vacuums as permament fixtures for the future.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #13   Feb 3, 2009 8:35 am
Carmine,

I think you are correct about cordless technologies. They may well be the future of portable vacs.

dusty

Reply #14   Feb 3, 2009 9:53 am
From a Canadian stand point, at least in our area pretty much any house that is being built gets a rough in for a central vacuum. It is generally no longer an option but a standard feature.

Dusty
Venson

Reply #15   Feb 3, 2009 10:26 am
Yeah guys . . but do you think a central vacuum system would or would not be a practical choice for an entire multiple-dwelling facility like an apartment building or even a hotel?  Not everybody lives in a private home. 

All the scenarios that come to mind strike me as expensive and therefore would not be of much interest to the average developer.  Dishwashers and other electrical amenities, type as usuallly supplied, can be gotten cheaply by developers and contractors but, though it can be done, costs to accommodate the installation of a central vacuum system for not one but many families  is another story.

Venson
Just

Reply #16   Feb 3, 2009 5:44 pm
The reason I wouldn't see a CVS working in a multi-unit dwelling is: 

Have you ever seen how some people live?  The same people that would use a Kirby to try to drain the kids pool are the same ones that would use the apartment's CVS system to clean the fish bowl.  These are the same people that let the dog go poo on the new carpet and then try to suck it all up and make it go away with a communial vacuum.  YUCK, just YUCK.  But you repair guys out there know it happens.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42