Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

A question . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm
Hi,

Who thinks the day will come, and how long will it take, when the "vacuum cleaner" will generally be accepted as just a hole in the wall that we plug a hose into? No more cyclones, water baths or super-duper filtering for alllergy sufferers.  No thought over buying canister or upright and what warranty length is.  No more concerns about cord length or operating noise levels.  I'm not just talking central vacuum system but also of a possible change in our view of practicality.  The day is not that far away when our computers will also be our telephone and TV among other things.  Come to think of it they are now though not widely employed.  Does anyone feel central vacuum systems may one day be provided in apartment buildings and other multiple dwelling as a given as well as in individual private homes?

Thanks,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 17 - 26 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: A question . . .
Reply #17   Feb 3, 2009 7:19 pm
Can you imagine the insides of some CVS used to clean up restaurants?  Yuckus! 

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #18   Feb 3, 2009 8:14 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Can you imagine the insides of some CVS used to clean up restaurants?  Yuckus! 

Carmine D.

Been there, serviced those, haven't eaten there again.  Blah!

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #19   Feb 4, 2009 7:18 am
The worse of the worse.  Some fastidious diners won't eat somewhere until they check out the cleanliness of the restrooms.  I say, first check out the vacuums!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #20   Feb 4, 2009 8:50 am
Just wrote:
. . .  The same people that would use a Kirby to try to drain the kids pool are the same ones that would use the apartment's CVS system to clean the fish bowl . . .

Thanks Just.  That was priceless AND I believe it.

Venson
Venson

Reply #21   Mar 7, 2009 8:31 pm
Hi.

Got a new question for quick survey of sorts, if you will.

How many of us regularly use our vacuums for above-the-floor tasks like cleaning walls and ceilings, blinds and draperies, mattresses and upholstery, fans and light fixtures, woodwork, etc. There used to be umpteen tools and options provided by many vacuum manufacturers for those tasks back in the day. I'm wondering if there's been a radical change in the manner in which we clean and if our vacuums' possible potential is less recognized or considered despite the higher cost of many machines.

Best,

Venson
Trebor

Reply #22   Mar 7, 2009 9:56 pm
Venson asked: How many of us regularly use our vacuums for above-the-floor tasks?

I have always used the attachments on the vacuum. My grandmother did with her model 510 Kirby, and continued to do the same with her Rainbow D. Mom, at 75, still uses the attachments for her 517 and Classic Omega Kirbys. This tendancy was passed on to my sister, though to a lesser degree, and is totally missing in my mom's sister and 5 nieces. They are the vac killers. The couple I clean for purchased, at my behest, a Sanitaire MightyMite with HEPA filter. We all refer to it as 'the baby Electrolux' I have a Filtex metal rug tool with felt pad, great for the hardwwod floors and the synthetic rug in the morning room. I use a late Model 50 rug tool on the delicate oriental rug in the library, a Lux flipover tool on the kitchen floor and scatter rugs, an above the floor tool with white bristles for dusting and upholstery. Finally, for the stairs I have a Rug Rat and a model 30 upholstery tool. With the exception of using the wide brush exclusively for walls and the telescopic wand, the original tools are relegated to the garage for the concrete floor and the vehicles. Let's see...oh, and a long hoover crevice tool, a plastic wand and a small articulating dusting brush for high moldings and ledges, a plantation blind and shutter brush, That's it. The differences in using the appropriate tool for each surface are substantial in thoroughness, time and effort exerted, and the finished appearnce of the various rugs and floor surfaces. The habit of using the attachments is learned early in one's life, or likely not at all.

Trebor

This message was modified Mar 7, 2009 by Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #23   Mar 8, 2009 9:09 am
Venson wrote:
Hi.

How many of us regularly use our vacuums for above-the-floor tasks like cleaning walls and ceilings, blinds and draperies, mattresses and upholstery, fans and light fixtures, woodwork, etc.
Best,

Venson

Funny you should ask Venson.  Always, tho I generally separate the two tasks: Rug cleaning and tool cleaning.  On some occasions I'll do both concurrently.  Depends.  Just bought 2 new round dusting brushes from my local vacuum store.  $5 each.  One inside the house.  One for the garage.  He took new ones out of KIRBY tool boxes.  Still in the plastic wrap. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Mar 8, 2009 by CarmineD
Trebor

Reply #24   Mar 8, 2009 9:02 pm
Carmine wrote:  Just bought 2 new round dusting brushes from my local vacuum store.  $5 each.  One inside the house.  One for the garage.  He took new ones out of KIRBY tool boxes.  Still in the plastic wrap. 

I think Kirby makes a very good duster brush. My other fave is the Lux combo brush. The larger square Eureka was nice, not sure if they still make it. Everything else seems cheap, like they just stuck something in to say a brush is included, and some of then can leave marks. I liked the old Lux white duster brush a lot. The only other vac I recall offering white bristled tools as an option was Lewyt.

CarmineD

Reply #25   Mar 9, 2009 7:34 am
So far with using the KIRBY dusting brush, I am impressed.  The bristles appear to be horse hair.   Am I correct?

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #26   Mar 11, 2009 10:04 pm
Carmine wrote: So far with using the KIRBY dusting brush, I am impressed.  The bristles appear to be horse hair.   Am I correct?

Your are correct, sir. All of the other bristles in the Kirby attachment kit are synthetic.

Trebor

Replies: 17 - 26 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42