Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > NEW Hoover Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vaclov

NEW Hoover Upright
Original Message   Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm
I don't know if anyone has seen this but I think I like it better just by hearing how it sounds, seems much more quiet than the Oreck. This vacuum comes with a 6 year warranty at only $399, pretty good deal. Sorry if this was posted already.

HSN Video:
http://home-solutions.hsn.com/hoover-platinum-collection-lightweight-bagged-upright-vacuum-with-handheld-canister-vac_p-4709906_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=4709906&sf=hw&attr=644&ocm=HW|644&prev=hp!sf!644&ccm=HW|644
Replies: 32 - 41 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
TTIpowerT

Re: NEW Hoover Upright
Reply #32   Jan 26, 2009 1:28 pm
Speaking of Wal-Mart...They have four New Hoover Platinum Collection products available for purchase at WalMart.com prior to in store availability.

Also, I believe the WT2 bagged upright also had a feature allowing the bag hole opening to slide shut when replacing.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #33   Jan 26, 2009 2:40 pm
TTIpowerT wrote:
Speaking of Wal-Mart...They have four New Hoover Platinum Collection products available for purchase at WalMart.com prior to in store availability.

The HOOVER models are already available in Walmart stores.  They were in last week or the week before.  They just might not be in every store.

On the boxes of the two uprights, they state how they outclean other uprights.  HOOVER shows ORECK and dyson on the liteweight box and on the bagless upright box, they show how it outcleans the Bissell Healthy Home and the dyson.  The names have been blurred to protect the vacuum cleaner makers.
CarmineD

Re: Oreck XL7 vs. Dyson DC24 - the Which? verdict.
Reply #34   Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

The Whisper is a good value (if the pre filter does not become an issue).  Like all others, it is not perfect,  It is the best Dyson copy yet.  Certainly better than the Fusion at a cheaper price.

Hello HS:

Thanks for the review.  For $98, a vacuum buyer doesn't want perfection.  For $400-$600, a vacuum buyer expects perfection and gets very disappointed when the expectations aren't met.  For $900 plus, a vacuum buyer expects and demands perfection and gets it.  Venson's comments about the MIELE S7 Tango.

Venson wrote:

Hi Carmine,

This machine remains, so far, a stunner.  I still won't use it without tools on bare floors but I am surprised because I am a hardcore canister fan.  Better yet, I'm happy because it's equally as easy to do all  the things I'd do with the Capricorn and PN.  You're right -- immer besser!

Venson

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #35   Jan 26, 2009 6:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

Thanks for the review.  For $98, a vacuum buyer doesn't want perfection.  For $400-$600, a vacuum buyer expects perfection and gets very disappointed when the expectations aren't met.  For $900 plus, a vacuum buyer expects and demands perfection and gets it.  Venson's comments about the MIELE S7 Tango.

Carmine D.

I was never disappointed with my Dyson.  Venson likes his Miele.  Score is even.  I would be more disappointed with a $900 or more vac that had no better cleaning performance than the DC07.  Have you noticed that I am not thrillled with a $2000 Kirby?

CarmineD

Reply #36   Jan 26, 2009 7:13 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
 Have you noticed that I am not thrillled with a $2000 Kirby?

Whose fault?  Did the Kirby sales person hold a gun to your head and take your money?  Or do you make a habit of buying things you don't really like.  Score one for Venson and his MIELE S7 Tango!  He knows what he likes and then buys it.  You buy it then determine if you like it!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by CarmineD
Trebor

Reply #37   Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm
Response to several posts of this thread:

The Hoover 'Z'!? Carmine, you didn't really say ,as was attributed to you, that the Hoover Z would be the undoing of Dyson? When I first looked at it, I thought the design engineers and the marketing people had shared a bad batch of crack! It LOOKED heavy as an upright. Perception is reality. And the user is no more likley to compress the handle down into the quasimodo lookalike for attachment use than a Kirby user is to install the portable handle to use the hose. I tagged it as loser from the get-go.

KIrbys are demoed in the home so the customer wii see how well it gets their dirt out of their carpet. There is a 3 day recision clause, and if it was purchased with a major credit card there is a 30-day window for cancellation. If the Kirby is properly adjusted to the carpet, and the belt and bag are in working order, the performance should range from very good to excellent. The Royal, too is a very good upright.

Carmine, I have looked at the Orecks on a few ocassions, and while adequate, I just don't think they warrant the price. A sebo upright offers onboard (and better) tools(including an articulating dusting brush) better filtration, a true auto-height adjustment (X series) NO belt replacements, ever (or they are covered) lights that indicate bag/filter or brushroll replacement, lockouts which prevent usage without bag or filter in place plus instant no-tools cord/switch/handle replacement should it ever be required. The unit can be totally disassembled w/o tools and reassembled in under 3min. There is a clog cleanout underneath and the brushroll can be removed without tools or even turning the unit over. What's the Oreck got that Sebo X or Felix series doesn't?

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by Trebor
DysonInventsBig

Reply #38   Jan 27, 2009 2:08 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Hardsell,
How is the Whisper working out for you?  How does it filter?  Are you watching the pre-filter for dirtying and does it dirty quickly?  How often does Hoover recommend pre-filter cleaning?

Did you ever see Hoover's Z t.v. commercial...  where a user off-roads/jumps the vacuum around the house?  What were they thinking?

Thanks,
DIB

HARDSELL wrote:
I like the quietness and the manual height adjustment.  Also like the switched brush control. I have been using a Royal and a Kirby for almost 2 years.  My first use of the Whisper resulted in vacuuming up a lot of fine dust and carpet lint/fuzz. This is declining with each use. I have noticed that if there is something like string or sock lint on the carpet it often takes more than one pass to remove it.  Same thing is true on tile or wood floors.  When using the crevice tool the suction blockage indicator red light remains on almost constantly and any debris in the bin stops spinning.  In fact the spinning practically stops at less than 1/4 full. It is very easy to maneuver around.  Edge and corner cleaning is very good.  In fact it seems to have more suction in this use than on the open floor. When emptying you have to manually pull the heavier piles of carpet lint out.  I am concerned about the pre filter.  It gets dirty way too soon IMO.  I have already vacuumed it out with my Royal.  Recommended washing is every 3 months.  I think it will be required more often for top performance. I never had this problem with the DC07.  The hose is easier to use than Dyson's. A longer electrical cord would be nice.  Carpets look better groomed than with the Royal or Kirby.  Also feel better (nop feels fluffier) when walking bare foot. 

The Whisper is a good value (if the pre filter does not become an issue).  Like all others, it is not perfect,  It is the best Dyson copy yet.  Certainly better than the Fusion at a cheaper price.

Thanks for your response.

You have been kinda quite on these posts lately, until recently.  Everything ok?

CarmineD

Reply #39   Jan 27, 2009 6:59 am
Trebor wrote:

Carmine, I have looked at the Orecks on a few ocassions, and while adequate, I just don't think they warrant the price.

Hello Trebor: 

You missed much of the discussions about dyson and HOOVER and its Z during your sabbatical, so I synopsized in context [not pretext] for 6 plus years and messaged you.  I posted here but it was too long.

WRT ORECK, my dear Wife always liked it.  It was demoed by my friend [see my off line message] in his store [who loaned us the DC07].  She liked it instantly.  In April 2007, after hearing ORECK bashed over and over again here constantly, ORECK in concert with the US Humane Society, offered the XL Classic to me [and others] for $150.  Since it had been years since my familiarization with ORECK-s, I bought one.  I used it, [still do] like it and bought 3 more [same price] as gifts to family members.  We're all pleased with them.  For many years I recommended to persons here thinking about ORECK to shop them at estate sales.  They can be bought, in like new condition, for $25-$50.  BTW, I met Dave back in the day when he was breaking into the business.  I've always liked and respected him, tho I never sold new ORECKs in my store.  Just parts, repairs and used.

Dyson's DC07 is discontinued and if still around on sale for clearance prices.  Gone, finito.  The HOOVER Z, despite its lackluster sales reception, is still available on HOOVER's Web Site.  The Z has a future, DC07 a past.  With HOOVER, I'm reluctant to pronounce last rites on any of its products.  The HOOVER electric floor washer from the late 50's early 60's died, was buried, and resurrected in 2002 as the HOOVER Floormate.  I sold the former [floorwasher] in my store, and use the latter [floormate] in my home now.  It's one of the best floorcare products on the market today for the price.   

SEBO makes excellent vacuums IMHO.  Top shelf.  Worth the price.  SEBO is the brand of choice for the White House.  Felix is a top notch lightweight IMHO.  I have always said these and the RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights are a notch above ORECK.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #40   Jan 27, 2009 8:42 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Trebor: 

1. The fail safe clutch assemby for the brush bar is totally useless on USA carpets.  Dyson knew it.  Didn't want to come to market in the US in April 2002 in part because of it.  BEST BUY management pressured him into the early launch with a DC07 that was unsuited for upgrade USA rugs like mine and styles like berber commonly used for area rugs.

In September 2006, I bought a DC07 pink for our new home in LV.  It was dead in the water. 2. I have wool Mohawk medium pile carpets with backing.  3. Mohawk subsequently voided its rug guaranty with all dysons, so I probably have a bases to return if I choose, even at this late date.  To my knowledge, dyson's DC07 is discontinued and on sale for clearance prices.  Gone, finito.  4. The HOOVER Z despite its lackluster sales reception is still available for sale at FULL PRICE, the last time I checked HOOVER's Web Site.  5. The Z has a future, DC07 a past.  6. All truths start out as heresies

Carmine D.

1. It worked flawlessly on my carpets.  Thousands of consumer reviews also confirm this. I used the DC07 on 40 year old wool carpet (likely thicker pile than yours) with no resulting damages.

2. Where can one buy this Mohawk wool carpet?  They do not list wool carpet on their site. It must be some builder grade stuff as I have contended all along.  I also found this with regards to Mohawk:

What Mohawk Carpet Doesn't Offer
Mohawk® carpeting uses synthetic fibers like nylon and polyester that employ technologies to improve stain resistance and fiber resilience. However what Mohawk® carpet doesn't have in their lineup is wool carpeting.

Wool is a natural fiber with many beneficial features that make it a good choice for carpeting and an alternative to synthetic fibers. If you're looking for wool carpeting you'll need to look elsewhere since Mohawk® doesn't offer it.

3. I read Mohawk's carpet warranty.  They recommend regular vacuuming. No mention of acceptable or non acceptable vacuum brands.  This is in the warranty:

Some thick loop pile carpets will fuzz if a rotating brush vacuum is used. In this

case we recommend a suction vacuum only.

The DC07 is capable of suction only.  The Oreck and your cheap Hoovers aren't.

4. A little research shows the Z to be deeply discounted. Of course you can always find an exception as I can with the DC07.  They are still available in some local stores with no advertised discounts.  I would expect discounts on discontinued products, however Hoovers are generally discounted from the day of inception.  Makes me wonder what the price should really be.

5.  Ahh. Such a wonderful past.  Better to exit in glory than to stay and be humiliated.

Some thick loop pile carpets will fuzz if a rotating brush vacuum is used. In this

case we recommend a suction vacuum only.

The DC07 is capable of suction only.  The Oreck and your cheap Hoovers aren't.

4. A little research shows the Z to be deeply discounted. Of course you can always find an exception as I can with the DC07.  They are still available in some local stores with no advertised discounts.  I would expect discounts on discontinued products, however Hoovers are generally discounted from the day of inception.  Makes me wonder what the price should really be.

5.  Ahh. Such a wonderful past.  Better to exit in glory than to stay and be humiliated.

6. Is it possible that the future may present truths and not biased unsubstantiated opinions from you?

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jan 27, 2009 8:49 am
Hello HARDSELL:

Relax.  Calm down.  Have a cup of joe.  My Mohawk carpets were purchased over 3 years ago for my home, as were many others here in my community.  What is the date of your Mohawk reference?  Is it possible Mohawk wool was still available then and not now?  Especially through builders as an upgrade as a special order?  And what say you about berbers and dysons?  Use straight suction!  When my $150 ORECK cleans and grooms them so well.  What say you about dyson's scrubbing of the fail safe clutch on models after the DC14?    Works so well, it's gone.

The Mohawk voided warranty info about dyson was posted here in great detail some time back.  As well as another carpet maker's warranty void for dyson.  I didn't post the links either, I merely reference.  You never posted about them then.  You can find them, if you do a search.  If and when I find them, I'll send to you for your benefit, probably off line.  My message to Trebor went on too long here before I cut it and sent privately.  You quoted before I did.  Thanks.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 32 - 41 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42