Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > NEW Hoover Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vaclov

NEW Hoover Upright
Original Message   Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm
I don't know if anyone has seen this but I think I like it better just by hearing how it sounds, seems much more quiet than the Oreck. This vacuum comes with a 6 year warranty at only $399, pretty good deal. Sorry if this was posted already.

HSN Video:
http://home-solutions.hsn.com/hoover-platinum-collection-lightweight-bagged-upright-vacuum-with-handheld-canister-vac_p-4709906_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=4709906&sf=hw&attr=644&ocm=HW|644&prev=hp!sf!644&ccm=HW|644
Replies: 1 - 60 of 60View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: NEW Hoover Upright
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2009 6:49 am
This model was premiered on the HSN HOOVER Innovations segments today.  Steals the ORECK pro-team 2 in 1 vacuum purchase [upright and cann].  And that's not all.  ORECK's self-seal dirt enclosure when removing the old bag.  Lifetime belt and LED headlight.  Quiet.  The HSN/HOOVER duo of Bobbie and Julie were talking in normal voices while the vacuum was demo'ed.  AT $399 [and less] this lightweight will surely give ORECK competition in lightweights.  And it comes with HOOVER WT technology. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2009 11:12 am
In terms of being a cheaper alternative to the $700 Oreck - consumers must be overjoyed.

In terms of being able to pick up dust - the "Oreck Killer" proved underwhelming.

DIB

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

TTIpowerT

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2009 2:04 pm
This new Hoover Bagged Upright out cleans the leading competitors uprights between $300-$600 and leading bagged competitor in the market per ASTM testing.
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm
Hello TTIPowerT:

Thanks for that information.  I recall Julie and Bobbie making the point about the ASTM findings and saying that the ASTM is THE ONLY approved and recognized standard in the vacuum industry for vacuum testing.  I was impressed to see that even with the HOOVER HEPA bag [4x the capacity of bagless bins] filled to the max line, the HOOVER lightweight devoured in short order all the additional rug dirt poured out of the other full bags. 

Seems our resident advocate for all things dyson also exhibits an utter disregard for all/any praise worthy opinions and comments that are pro-ORECK/HOOVER and their products.  Even by entities sanctioned by the industry specifically for the purpose [Which?, CR, CRI].   Must be part of an elitist mentality [read: ego] that believes save dyson nothing else counts.  How illogical and mentally un-innovative and slothful to entertain such misguided notions.  Logically inconsistent to believe despite incontrovertible proof to the contratry, that only one vacuum brand, exclusively bagless at that, is the only superior vacuum on the planet to the exclusion of all others. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2009 7:47 am
TTIpowerT wrote:
This new Hoover Bagged Upright out cleans the leading competitors uprights between $300-$600 and leading bagged competitor in the market per ASTM testing.

I’d like to talk about ASTM and how Hoover uses its findings in their marketing.  Only, I cannot get past all the dust the so-called "Oreck Killer" left behind.

Hoover claims (copied from their web site) - "removes more dirt from carpet than other lightweight bagged uprights"  Here

DIB

*Priced to kill the Oreck company.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 25, 2009 7:57 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
I’d like to talk about ASTM and how Hoover uses its findings in their marketing.  Only, I cannot get past all the dust the so-called "Oreck Killer" left behind.

Hoover claims (copied from their web site) - "removes more dirt from carpet than other lightweight bagged uprights"  Here

DIB

*Priced to kill the Oreck company.

Hiya again DIB:

That's because you are using a dyson DC24, which CR rates as poor for tool suction and fair for pet hair pick up.  Get yourself an upright vacuum like the ORECK and HOOVER lightweight, both receive the coveted CRI green label of approval, [unlike dyson which never has], and you'll see the difference, just like CR.

Here's the relevant HOOVER claim, which ORECK uses too for the advantages/benefits of direct air flow suction superiority, from your link above.  Thanks for posting:

WindTunnel TechnologyTM

• Technologically engineered to achieve a cleaner clean. With a combination of direct air flow and Hoover's Patented WindTunnel Technology, dirt is extracted from your carpet in less time***, so you can move on to more important tasks.

BTW, the 3 stars are for the 3 ASTM tests which are performed and reported to substantiate HOOVER's claim.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by CarmineD
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Oreck XL7 vs. Dyson DC24 - the Which? verdict.
Reply #7   Jan 25, 2009 12:06 pm
Oreck XL7 - from £419

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 3 stars
Laminate floors 4 stars
Floorboards 2 stars
Walls and corners 3 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 1 star
Pet hair  5 stars
Noise 1 star
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  5 stars
Cleaning stairs 3 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Dyson DC24 - from £176.99 (WHICH? BEST BUY)

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 5 stars
Laminate floors 5 stars
Floorboards 5 stars
Walls and corners 4 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 4 stars
Pet hair  2 stars
Noise 2 stars
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  2 stars
Cleaning stairs 2 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Given that the 'Best Buy'-rated DC24 can be found at £240 less than the Oreck, and outperformed it in nearly every test, I know what I'd spend my money on (and, in fact, DID spend my money on!). And I can tell you from personal experience, the suction through the hose is perfectly adequate for everyday tasks. More annoying is the short hose and the 'combination' tool, adapted from the DC16 hand-held cleaner, and lack of a crevice nozzle!
This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by Model2

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
HARDSELL

Re: Oreck XL7 vs. Dyson DC24 - the Which? verdict.
Reply #8   Jan 25, 2009 1:41 pm
Model2 wrote:
Oreck XL7 - from £419

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 3 stars
Laminate floors 4 stars
Floorboards 2 stars
Performance
Pet hair  5 stars
Noise 1 star
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  5 stars
Cleaning stairs 3 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 5 stars
Laminate floors 5 stars
Floorboards 5 stars
Performance
Pet hair  2 stars
Noise 2 stars
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  2 stars
Cleaning stairs 2 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Given that the 'Best Buy'-rated DC24 can be found at £240 less than the Oreck, and outperformed it in nearly every test, I know what I'd spend my money on (and, in fact, DID spend my money on!). And I can tell you from personal experience, the suction through the hose is perfectly adequate for everyday tasks. More annoying is the short hose and the 'combination' tool, adapted from the DC16 hand-held cleaner, and lack of a crevice nozzle!

When Which gave low ratings to Dyson Carmine referenced them frequently.  Now he will tell us that their ratings are not dependable.  He is dizzy from running in circles.
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2009 3:05 pm
Hello Model2 and HARDSELL:  Here's what CR says compared to Which? for ORECK.  You're only as good as your latest ratings.

Oreck XL7 - from £419

Which?                                                                Consumer Reports 

October 2008

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning 
Carpet 3 stars                    GOOD 
Laminate floors 4 stars                    EXCELLENT
Floorboards 2 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 1 star                    EXCELLENT
Pet hair  5 stars                    GOOD
Noise 1 star                    VERY GOOD
Ease of use
General use  3 stars                   
Emptying  5 stars
Cleaning stairs

3 stars 

Manoeuvrability

3 stars                   HANDLING: VERY

GOOD

Consumer Reports ratings for ORECK from October 2008 as best I can match the categories.  As you know ORECK doesn't have OBT so it comes with a compact canister with the price and purchase of the upright.  ORECK upright ranked and rated as number 10, just one below the best full sized rated and ranked dyson DC17, and above all the other dysons which included DC14 [number 17]; DC07 [number 20]; DC18 [number 21]; and a DC24 [number 22].  Typically, ORECK does rank in the top 10 uprights by Consumer Reports.  And comes with a 20 year warranty. 

Here in the USA, Consumer Reports is read by more than 20 MILLION people every month. ORECK beats out all the dyson models tested easily save one.  ORECK also wins the Carpet and Rug Institute top awards and has since the inception of the CRI ratings over 20 years ago.  Infusing value into products often gives the edge to peoples' purchases especially in hard economic times for high end priced products.  Having the CR and CRI recommendations consistently, gives ORECK the approval from the vacuum industry for quality conscious buyers.  IMHO.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #10   Jan 25, 2009 3:28 pm
The main problem with Oreck in the UK is the pricetag. For £419, you could buy the TOL version of the new Miele S7 upright, the silver Autocare S 7580 (@ £361), and still have nearly £60 to spare. Orecks are sold primarily as a light-weight cleaner for the elderly, and advertised in the back of 'Saga Magazine' (holidays and insurance for the over-50's), alongside the Bissell Magic Broom.

Oreck still boast that their cleaner uses 'a top-fill bag'! Groundbreaking technology indeed...

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by Model2

CarmineD

Reply #11   Jan 25, 2009 3:37 pm
ORECK's made in the USA label assuages the impact of the price in the USA.  And, like I said, the impressive rankings and ratings by Consumer Reports and the Carpet & Rug Institute infuse value into ORECK vacuums for the pricetag.  Plus, ORECK has over a 45 plus year track record of sales with over 500 ORECK stores in the USA.  These factors infuse product value too.  Much more IMHO than $500 plus vacuums which sell primarily and almost exclusively through big box retail stores. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #12   Jan 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Model2 wrote:

Oreck still boast that their cleaner uses 'a top-fill bag'! Groundbreaking technology indeed...

Considering that the ORECK bag is one of the largest in the industry [6 quart capacity], contains all the dust/dirt during dumping, and is replaced in seconds by the user, it is effective technology.  Just like ORECK's direct air flow suction technology.  Perfectly simple.  Perfectly effective.   

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #13   Jan 25, 2009 3:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Considering that the ORECK bag is one of the largest in the industry [6 quart capacity], contains all the dust/dirt during dumping, and is replaced in seconds by the user, it is effective technology.

Carmine D.

It's not the use of a bag, but the 'top-fill' description which amuses me. What, aside from Vorwerk, has used a bottom-fill bag in the last 20-25 years!? It's a little like saying 'with electric motor - no bellows to pump!'

CarmineD

Reply #14   Jan 25, 2009 3:52 pm
ORECK uses top fill dirt bags since its inception in the 60's, when many were still using bottom fill bags. 

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #15   Jan 25, 2009 3:56 pm
CarmineD wrote:
ORECK uses top fill dirt bags since its inception in the 60's, when many were still using bottom fill bags. 

Carmine D.

But we're now in 2009 - have they really developed so little in that time that they're forced to pad out their features list with 'top-fill bag' nearly 50 years later?

CarmineD

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm
Lightweight uprights are the industry envy now.  Reference: dyson's DC18 and DC24.  And now HOOVER/TTI.  ORECK pioneered the lightweight upright, it is ORECK's mainstay product, the industry lightweight leader and the original, which others copy.  Copying/imitation are the highest forms of flattery.

Carmine D

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jan 25, 2009 4:07 pm
The ORECK use of "top fill bag" is truthful, accurate, and correct.  Attributes which never get old and out of date even after 50 years. 

If some here can get enthralled over 50 year old obsolete technology patent drawings of a defunct company, I suspect ORECK can find some people who like to read its "padded" features.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #18   Jan 25, 2009 4:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Lightweight uprights are the industry envy now.  Reference: dyson's DC18 and DC24.  And now HOOVER/TTI.  ORECK pioneered the lightweight upright, it is ORECK's mainstay product, the industry lightweight leader and the original, which others copy.  Copying/imitation are the highest forms of flattery.

Carmine D

I guess that says a lot for all the Dyson imitators out there...

Model2

Reply #19   Jan 25, 2009 4:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:

If some here can get entralled over 50 year old obsolete technology patent drawings of a defunct company, I suspect ORECK can find some people who like to read its "padded" features.

Yes, and in the UK at least, those people peer at such features through half-moon spectacles, when their aching fingers force them to put down their knitting.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Jan 25, 2009 4:17 pm
Model2 wrote:

I guess that says a lot for all the Dyson imitators out there...

Absolutely.  Works both ways.  If dyson is praiseworthy for having its copycats, then the same goes for ORECK.  Most especially if the vacuum innovator of the 21 Century, as we are told here, is one of the copycats.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jan 25, 2009 4:22 pm
Model2 wrote:
Yes, and in the UK at least, those people peer at such features through half-moon spectacles, when their aching fingers force them to put down their knitting.

God bless them, they are still alive and well despite all their frailties!  Air-Way is dead and gone despite all its technological innovations.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #22   Jan 25, 2009 5:02 pm
Model2 wrote:
Oreck XL7 - from £419
Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 3 stars
Laminate floors 4 stars
Floorboards 2 stars
Performance
Pet hair  5 stars
Noise 1 star
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  5 stars
Cleaning stairs 3 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 5 stars
Laminate floors 5 stars
Floorboards 5 stars
Performance
Pet hair  2 stars
Noise 2 stars
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  2 stars
Cleaning stairs 2 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Model2,

Yes, CR and Which may recommend other cheaper and/or more featured and/or better rated vac’s over the Oreck.  Yet, when a person is sold on the idea of buying an Oreck vice anything else and since the Oreck has a high price tag...  the cheaper w/more features Oreck-like Hoover looks financially enticing (i.e. hurts Oreck’s sales).  Additionally, I believe Red-Hoover at will, can destroy most anyone on pricing since they are Chinese owned and control much retail shelf space (Hoover, Dirt Devil, VAX, etc.).  A $98 Whisper proves this out.  Surely Red-Hoover instills much fear in their competitors.  Fear, not of innovation, but of being knocked off and then underpriced.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #23   Jan 25, 2009 5:06 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
A $98 Whisper proves this out.  Surely Red-Hoover instills much fear in their competitors.  Fear, not of innovation, but of being knocked off and then underpriced.

DIB

Yes indeed DIB.  It was a $98 HOOVER bagless upright Fusion, which consistently received NO BUY ratings from CR, that KO-ed [knocked-out] dyson's DC07 [$379] at Wal*mart stores in 2005 in just about 6 months.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Jan 25, 2009 5:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Yes indeed DIB.  It was a $98 HOOVER bagless upright Fusion, which consistently received NO BUY ratings from CR, that KO-ed [knocked-out] dyson's DC07 [$379] at Wal*mart stores in 2005 in just about 6 months.

Carmine D.

I recently looked at Hoover's last 100 patents and applications, not one is of the Fusion...  Can't patent something that's knocked off.        DIB

HARDSELL

Reply #25   Jan 25, 2009 8:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Do others find it strange that a vacuum that could perform this feat is not on WM site.

There are, however 8 Dysons for sale on the site.  All with 5 star ratings. 

Of course Carmine only presents what he wants us to read.  Truth is WM and Dyson had other issues. Fusion did not cause the demise of Dyson.   Hoover Z was also going to be Dyson's demise per Carmine.  Hoover had to practically give the Z's away.

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Reply #26   Jan 25, 2009 8:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The ORECK use of "top fill bag" is truthful, accurate, and correct.  Attributes which never get old and out of date even after 50 years. 

If some here can get enthralled over 50 year old obsolete technology patent drawings of a defunct company, I suspect ORECK can find some people who like to read its "padded" features.

Carmine D.

And to think that it took an ex pro 50 years to discover Oreck.   Some things never get out of date, they just do not produce like the modern versions.
HARDSELL

Reply #27   Jan 25, 2009 8:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Considering that the ORECK bag is one of the largest in the industry [6 quart capacity], contains all the dust/dirt during dumping, and is replaced in seconds by the user, it is effective technology.  Just like ORECK's direct air flow suction technology.  Perfectly simple.  Perfectly effective.   

Carmine D.

A 1 qt. bag would be sufficient to hold the annual dirt collected by the Oreck.

I am sure they use more belts than bags.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #28   Jan 25, 2009 8:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Do others find it strange that a vacuum that could perform this feat is not on WM site.

There are, however 8 Dysons for sale on the site.  All with 5 star ratings. 

Of course Carmine only presents what he wants us to read.  Truth is WM and Dyson had other issues. Fusion did not cause the demise of Dyson.   Hoover Z was also going to be Dyson's demise per Carmine.  Hoover had to practically give the Z's away.

Hey Hardsell,
How is the Whisper working out for you?  How does it filter?  Are you watching the pre-filter for dirtying and does it dirty quickly?  How often does Hoover recommend pre-filter cleaning?

Did you ever see Hoover's Z t.v. commercial...  where a user off-roads/jumps the vacuum around the house?  What were they thinking?

Thanks,
DIB

CarmineD

Reply #29   Jan 26, 2009 6:43 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Hey HS:

No, considering the FUSION has been superceded at W*M stores by the HOOVER Mach 3,5,7 models.  The MACH 3 and 5 were intro-ed as W*M exclusives when the 2 year FUSION deal between HOOVER and W*M ended.  FUSION was sourced by TT1 before HOOVER was acquired in 2008 by TTI. 

W*M scrubbed sales of the DC07 models at W*M stores for several years after James tried to micro manage dyson prices.  FUSION filled the void for sales of bagless uprights.  Very well I might add.  One of W*M's best vacuum sellers for all times.  Dyson grovelled.  W*M agreed and added a DC07 Original [exclusive] for $378.  Only carried a 2 year warranty vice the 5 year for all other retail sold dysons.  Sales were a dud.  It's gone from W*M stores now as well as all other dysons once store stock is sold out.   Dyson can't compete in the big box store venues.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #30   Jan 26, 2009 6:54 am
HARDSELL wrote:
And to think that it took an ex pro 50 years to discover Oreck.   Some things never get out of date, they just do not produce like the modern versions.

Hey HS:

With age comes wisdom.  Sadly, you're the exception!  ORECK's simplicity is an attribute.  Allows belts and bags [both of which are readily available and very inexpensive] to be changed quickly and easily by users.  Of course in order to work properly, the user must turn the ORECK on and move it across the rugs/floors.  You don't swing it like a golf club!

HOOVER says its belt is lifetime, an edge over ORECK.  I said already HOOVER's HEPA bag copies ORECK with the self-sealing opening during replacement/dumping.  As does HOOVER's 2 for 1 promotion with the cann vacuum.  Both equal.  HOOVER has WT technology.  Edge to HOOVER.  HOOVER has a 40 ft cord.  Edge to HOOVER.

DC24 gets fair to middlin ratings from CR in part because the vacuum industry, even dyson, hasn't produced a lightweight vacuum with on-board tools that works well in both rug and tool cleaning modes.  It will probably be knocked out now with both HOOVER and ORECK competing. Unless a buyer specifically likes an upright and wants OBT.

The HOOVER/TTI cordless WT Stick for $179 may defy the industry up to now.  Have to see it up close and personal before judging whether it accomplishes this feat: A lightweight that does both cleaning well and is cordless too for $179. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #31   Jan 26, 2009 11:07 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Hardsell,
How is the Whisper working out for you?  How does it filter?  Are you watching the pre-filter for dirtying and does it dirty quickly?  How often does Hoover recommend pre-filter cleaning?

Did you ever see Hoover's Z t.v. commercial...  where a user off-roads/jumps the vacuum around the house?  What were they thinking?

Thanks,
DIB

I like the quietness and the manual height adjustment.  Also like the switched brush control. I have been using a Royal and a Kirby for almost 2 years.  My first use of the Whisper resulted in vacuuming up a lot of fine dust and carpet lint/fuzz. This is declining with each use. I have noticed that if there is something like string or sock lint on the carpet it often takes more than one pass to remove it.  Same thing is true on tile or wood floors.  When using the crevice tool the suction blockage indicator red light remains on almost constantly and any debris in the bin stops spinning.  In fact the spinning practically stops at less than 1/4 full. It is very easy to maneuver around.  Edge and corner cleaning is very good.  In fact it seems to have more suction in this use than on the open floor. When emptying you have to manually pull the heavier piles of carpet lint out.  I am concerned about the pre filter.  It gets dirty way too soon IMO.  I have already vacuumed it out with my Royal.  Recommended washing is every 3 months.  I think it will be required more often for top performance. I never had this problem with the DC07.  The hose is easier to use than Dyson's. A longer electrical cord would be nice.  Carpets look better groomed than with the Royal or Kirby.  Also feel better (nop feels fluffier) when walking bare foot. 

The Whisper is a good value (if the pre filter does not become an issue).  Like all others, it is not perfect,  It is the best Dyson copy yet.  Certainly better than the Fusion at a cheaper price.

TTIpowerT

Reply #32   Jan 26, 2009 1:28 pm
Speaking of Wal-Mart...They have four New Hoover Platinum Collection products available for purchase at WalMart.com prior to in store availability.

Also, I believe the WT2 bagged upright also had a feature allowing the bag hole opening to slide shut when replacing.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #33   Jan 26, 2009 2:40 pm
TTIpowerT wrote:
Speaking of Wal-Mart...They have four New Hoover Platinum Collection products available for purchase at WalMart.com prior to in store availability.

The HOOVER models are already available in Walmart stores.  They were in last week or the week before.  They just might not be in every store.

On the boxes of the two uprights, they state how they outclean other uprights.  HOOVER shows ORECK and dyson on the liteweight box and on the bagless upright box, they show how it outcleans the Bissell Healthy Home and the dyson.  The names have been blurred to protect the vacuum cleaner makers.
CarmineD

Reply #34   Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

The Whisper is a good value (if the pre filter does not become an issue).  Like all others, it is not perfect,  It is the best Dyson copy yet.  Certainly better than the Fusion at a cheaper price.

Hello HS:

Thanks for the review.  For $98, a vacuum buyer doesn't want perfection.  For $400-$600, a vacuum buyer expects perfection and gets very disappointed when the expectations aren't met.  For $900 plus, a vacuum buyer expects and demands perfection and gets it.  Venson's comments about the MIELE S7 Tango.

Venson wrote:

Hi Carmine,

This machine remains, so far, a stunner.  I still won't use it without tools on bare floors but I am surprised because I am a hardcore canister fan.  Better yet, I'm happy because it's equally as easy to do all  the things I'd do with the Capricorn and PN.  You're right -- immer besser!

Venson

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #35   Jan 26, 2009 6:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

Thanks for the review.  For $98, a vacuum buyer doesn't want perfection.  For $400-$600, a vacuum buyer expects perfection and gets very disappointed when the expectations aren't met.  For $900 plus, a vacuum buyer expects and demands perfection and gets it.  Venson's comments about the MIELE S7 Tango.

Carmine D.

I was never disappointed with my Dyson.  Venson likes his Miele.  Score is even.  I would be more disappointed with a $900 or more vac that had no better cleaning performance than the DC07.  Have you noticed that I am not thrillled with a $2000 Kirby?

CarmineD

Reply #36   Jan 26, 2009 7:13 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
 Have you noticed that I am not thrillled with a $2000 Kirby?

Whose fault?  Did the Kirby sales person hold a gun to your head and take your money?  Or do you make a habit of buying things you don't really like.  Score one for Venson and his MIELE S7 Tango!  He knows what he likes and then buys it.  You buy it then determine if you like it!

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #37   Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm
Response to several posts of this thread:

The Hoover 'Z'!? Carmine, you didn't really say ,as was attributed to you, that the Hoover Z would be the undoing of Dyson? When I first looked at it, I thought the design engineers and the marketing people had shared a bad batch of crack! It LOOKED heavy as an upright. Perception is reality. And the user is no more likley to compress the handle down into the quasimodo lookalike for attachment use than a Kirby user is to install the portable handle to use the hose. I tagged it as loser from the get-go.

KIrbys are demoed in the home so the customer wii see how well it gets their dirt out of their carpet. There is a 3 day recision clause, and if it was purchased with a major credit card there is a 30-day window for cancellation. If the Kirby is properly adjusted to the carpet, and the belt and bag are in working order, the performance should range from very good to excellent. The Royal, too is a very good upright.

Carmine, I have looked at the Orecks on a few ocassions, and while adequate, I just don't think they warrant the price. A sebo upright offers onboard (and better) tools(including an articulating dusting brush) better filtration, a true auto-height adjustment (X series) NO belt replacements, ever (or they are covered) lights that indicate bag/filter or brushroll replacement, lockouts which prevent usage without bag or filter in place plus instant no-tools cord/switch/handle replacement should it ever be required. The unit can be totally disassembled w/o tools and reassembled in under 3min. There is a clog cleanout underneath and the brushroll can be removed without tools or even turning the unit over. What's the Oreck got that Sebo X or Felix series doesn't?

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by Trebor
DysonInventsBig

Reply #38   Jan 27, 2009 2:08 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Hardsell,

Thanks,
DIB

HARDSELL wrote:
I like the quietness and the manual height adjustment.  Also like the switched brush control. I have been using a Royal and a Kirby for almost 2 years.  My first use of the Whisper resulted in vacuuming up a lot of fine dust and carpet lint/fuzz. This is declining with each use. I have noticed that if there is something like string or sock lint on the carpet it often takes more than one pass to remove it.  Same thing is true on tile or wood floors.  When using the crevice tool the suction blockage indicator red light remains on almost constantly and any debris in the bin stops spinning.  In fact the spinning practically stops at less than 1/4 full. It is very easy to maneuver around.  Edge and corner cleaning is very good.  In fact it seems to have more suction in this use than on the open floor. When emptying you have to manually pull the heavier piles of carpet lint out.  I am concerned about the pre filter.  It gets dirty way too soon IMO.  I have already vacuumed it out with my Royal.  Recommended washing is every 3 months.  I think it will be required more often for top performance. I never had this problem with the DC07.  The hose is easier to use than Dyson's. A longer electrical cord would be nice.  Carpets look better groomed than with the Royal or Kirby.  Also feel better (nop feels fluffier) when walking bare foot. 

Thanks for your response.

You have been kinda quite on these posts lately, until recently.  Everything ok?

CarmineD

Reply #39   Jan 27, 2009 6:59 am
Trebor wrote:

Carmine, I have looked at the Orecks on a few ocassions, and while adequate, I just don't think they warrant the price.

Hello Trebor: 

You missed much of the discussions about dyson and HOOVER and its Z during your sabbatical, so I synopsized in context [not pretext] for 6 plus years and messaged you.  I posted here but it was too long.

WRT ORECK, my dear Wife always liked it.  It was demoed by my friend [see my off line message] in his store [who loaned us the DC07].  She liked it instantly.  In April 2007, after hearing ORECK bashed over and over again here constantly, ORECK in concert with the US Humane Society, offered the XL Classic to me [and others] for $150.  Since it had been years since my familiarization with ORECK-s, I bought one.  I used it, [still do] like it and bought 3 more [same price] as gifts to family members.  We're all pleased with them.  For many years I recommended to persons here thinking about ORECK to shop them at estate sales.  They can be bought, in like new condition, for $25-$50.  BTW, I met Dave back in the day when he was breaking into the business.  I've always liked and respected him, tho I never sold new ORECKs in my store.  Just parts, repairs and used.

Dyson's DC07 is discontinued and if still around on sale for clearance prices.  Gone, finito.  The HOOVER Z, despite its lackluster sales reception, is still available on HOOVER's Web Site.  The Z has a future, DC07 a past.  With HOOVER, I'm reluctant to pronounce last rites on any of its products.  The HOOVER electric floor washer from the late 50's early 60's died, was buried, and resurrected in 2002 as the HOOVER Floormate.  I sold the former [floorwasher] in my store, and use the latter [floormate] in my home now.  It's one of the best floorcare products on the market today for the price.   

SEBO makes excellent vacuums IMHO.  Top shelf.  Worth the price.  SEBO is the brand of choice for the White House.  Felix is a top notch lightweight IMHO.  I have always said these and the RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights are a notch above ORECK.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #40   Jan 27, 2009 8:42 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Trebor: 

1. The fail safe clutch assemby for the brush bar is totally useless on USA carpets.  Dyson knew it.  Didn't want to come to market in the US in April 2002 in part because of it.  BEST BUY management pressured him into the early launch with a DC07 that was unsuited for upgrade USA rugs like mine and styles like berber commonly used for area rugs.

In September 2006, I bought a DC07 pink for our new home in LV.  It was dead in the water. 2. I have wool Mohawk medium pile carpets with backing.  3. Mohawk subsequently voided its rug guaranty with all dysons, so I probably have a bases to return if I choose, even at this late date.  To my knowledge, dyson's DC07 is discontinued and on sale for clearance prices.  Gone, finito.  4. The HOOVER Z despite its lackluster sales reception is still available for sale at FULL PRICE, the last time I checked HOOVER's Web Site.  5. The Z has a future, DC07 a past.  6. All truths start out as heresies

Carmine D.

1. It worked flawlessly on my carpets.  Thousands of consumer reviews also confirm this. I used the DC07 on 40 year old wool carpet (likely thicker pile than yours) with no resulting damages.

2. Where can one buy this Mohawk wool carpet?  They do not list wool carpet on their site. It must be some builder grade stuff as I have contended all along.  I also found this with regards to Mohawk:

What Mohawk Carpet Doesn't Offer
Mohawk® carpeting uses synthetic fibers like nylon and polyester that employ technologies to improve stain resistance and fiber resilience. However what Mohawk® carpet doesn't have in their lineup is wool carpeting.

Wool is a natural fiber with many beneficial features that make it a good choice for carpeting and an alternative to synthetic fibers. If you're looking for wool carpeting you'll need to look elsewhere since Mohawk® doesn't offer it.

3. I read Mohawk's carpet warranty.  They recommend regular vacuuming. No mention of acceptable or non acceptable vacuum brands.  This is in the warranty:

Some thick loop pile carpets will fuzz if a rotating brush vacuum is used. In this

case we recommend a suction vacuum only.

The DC07 is capable of suction only.  The Oreck and your cheap Hoovers aren't.

4. A little research shows the Z to be deeply discounted. Of course you can always find an exception as I can with the DC07.  They are still available in some local stores with no advertised discounts.  I would expect discounts on discontinued products, however Hoovers are generally discounted from the day of inception.  Makes me wonder what the price should really be.

5.  Ahh. Such a wonderful past.  Better to exit in glory than to stay and be humiliated.

Some thick loop pile carpets will fuzz if a rotating brush vacuum is used. In this

case we recommend a suction vacuum only.

The DC07 is capable of suction only.  The Oreck and your cheap Hoovers aren't.

4. A little research shows the Z to be deeply discounted. Of course you can always find an exception as I can with the DC07.  They are still available in some local stores with no advertised discounts.  I would expect discounts on discontinued products, however Hoovers are generally discounted from the day of inception.  Makes me wonder what the price should really be.

5.  Ahh. Such a wonderful past.  Better to exit in glory than to stay and be humiliated.

6. Is it possible that the future may present truths and not biased unsubstantiated opinions from you?

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jan 27, 2009 8:49 am
Hello HARDSELL:

Relax.  Calm down.  Have a cup of joe.  My Mohawk carpets were purchased over 3 years ago for my home, as were many others here in my community.  What is the date of your Mohawk reference?  Is it possible Mohawk wool was still available then and not now?  Especially through builders as an upgrade as a special order?  And what say you about berbers and dysons?  Use straight suction!  When my $150 ORECK cleans and grooms them so well.  What say you about dyson's scrubbing of the fail safe clutch on models after the DC14?    Works so well, it's gone.

The Mohawk voided warranty info about dyson was posted here in great detail some time back.  As well as another carpet maker's warranty void for dyson.  I didn't post the links either, I merely reference.  You never posted about them then.  You can find them, if you do a search.  If and when I find them, I'll send to you for your benefit, probably off line.  My message to Trebor went on too long here before I cut it and sent privately.  You quoted before I did.  Thanks.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #42   Jan 27, 2009 9:24 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Relax.  Calm down.  Have a cup of joe.  My Mohawk carpets were purchased over 3 years ago for my home, as were many others here in my community.  What is the date of your Mohawk reference?  Is it possible Mohawk wool was still available then and not now?  Especially through builders as an upgrade as a special order?  And what say you about berbers and dysons?  Use straight suction!  When my $150 ORECK cleans and grooms them so well.  What say you about dyson's scrubbing of the fail safe clutch on models after the DC14?    Works so well, it's gone.

The Mohawk voided warranty info about dyson was posted here in great detail some time back.  As well as another carpet maker's warranty void for dyson.  I didn't post the links either, I merely reference.  You never posted about them then.  Silent as a mouse.  Glad to see you are awake today.  If and when I find them, I'll send to you for your benefit.  Probably thru a private message, as was my message to Trebor, which went on too long here before I cut it and you quoted. 

Carmine D.

I do not know what was available 3 years ago.  Your contention is that DC07 was discontinued in part because it is inferior.  Same must be true of your builder grade carpet.  Maybe you have learned about builders.  Upsell discontinued carpet and gift inferior plasmas.  Do you think that Mohawk would set up shop to make a run of wool?  It is more likely that they had their name put on another's product.

Do you know positively that the clutch was eliminated because of problems or because of design on newer machines?  Facts only please.

Another double standard by you.  The manufacturer is right if he faults Dyson and wrong if he does not recommend a product you like.  The Oreck would likely choke and stall before doing damage.  Manufacturers will look for any loop hole to void a warranty.  Sure hope you never have a problem due to not using suction only.

HARDSELL

Reply #43   Jan 27, 2009 9:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
Whose fault?  Did the Kirby sales person hold a gun to your head and take your money?  Or do you make a habit of buying things you don't really like.  Score one for Venson and his MIELE S7 Tango!  He knows what he likes and then buys it.  You buy it then determine if you like it!

Carmine D.

The Kirby salesman had no gun in my home.  All strangers to my estate get a strip search and body cavity search by security before passing through the gates.

No one knows positively if the like something without sharing time with it / them.  Otherwise there would be fewer divorces and returned goods.  If marriage liscenses were renewable the courts would be less crowded.

How many vacuums have you purchased????????

CarmineD

Reply #44   Jan 27, 2009 12:41 pm
Hi HARDSELL:

Vacuums are my vocation.  I've purchased many but only use a few.  By default, so are rugs.  I have connections and buy what I like and want and pay for it.  Mohawk is correct, my wool carpets do stain more so than the synthetic blends, which I can't  have in my home because my 11 year old English lab is allergic to the chemicals in them.  They cause her epileptic seizures.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #45   Jan 27, 2009 12:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi HARDSELL:

Vacuums are my vocation.  I've purchased many but only use a few.  By default, so are rugs.  I have connections and buy what I like and want and pay for it.  Mohawk is correct, my wool carpets do stain more so than the synthetic blends, which I can't  have in my home because my 11 year old English lab is allergic to the chemicals in them.  They cause her epileptic seizures.

Carmine D.

Vacuums were your vocation.  You do not resell so why do you buy so many?

I have connections in autos, electronics and numerous other items (golf clubs) etc.  I pay cash for all purchases.  I have no debt. What makes you right about purchasing what you want and me wrong?  You are no bettert than anyone else, except in your one sided mind.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Jan 27, 2009 12:57 pm
HARDSELL:

I answered this question at least once before for you!  Old customers and their families and friends still ask me about vacuums.  I buy, use, keep, gift vacuums, just to assist them and stay current in the industry. 

BTW, I sent you TWO private messages with TWO links that I promised above about the Mohawk warranty and rugs.  One appears to be fairly recent, August 2008.   You may want to check the date of your reference, it may be old.  The other is a Web SIte for a rug distributor which according to another poster here voids rug warranties with dyson use.  Check them out for yourself. 

I'm really happy for you.  Actually, according to my latest brain scan I have two sides: right and left.  Most people do I'm told, tho some don't use them. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #47   Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Do you know positively that the clutch was eliminated because of problems or because of design on newer machines?  Facts only please.

Another double standard by you. 

Hey HARDSELL:

Actually for this one, I defer to DIB.  He stated here recently that in his opinion many dysons are returned and refurbed due to clutch chatter.  That's a dyson euphemism for "gawdawful ratcheting noise."  On this opinion of fact, I concur with DIB.  I suspect it is a significant reason that dyson scrubbed the clutch.  If you like I can privately email you DIB"s post here with it.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #48   Jan 27, 2009 1:52 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

6. Is it possible that the future may present truths and not biased unsubstantiated opinions from you?

Hey HARDSELL:

On this one, I follow your lead.  I asked you several times why if you liked a DC07 so much, did you sell after 3 years?  And not buy another dyson, but instead 2 other brands:  Kirby Sentria, Royal Emminence, and now HOOVER Whisper.  Not that I have anthing bad ro say about these choices.  They are all fine choices if you can't make up your mind.  Youe answer was that when you're good and ready, you'll buy another dyson.   Personally I'd say you're working/waiting on another as a gift.  I have a DC07 pink! 

When I'm so inclined, I'll exit here.  Glory and/or humiliation will probably play no part.  Neither will your and dyson's hoping.

BTW, truths are truths whether or not anyone believes and falsehoods are falsehoods even if all believe.  Opinions by their nature are biased.  I have my share and so do you.  And we both express them here.  Readers and posters in need of assistance can pick and choose what and who they wish to follow. 

If there are any of your points that I may have missed, please let me know.  Always happy to accomodate you, my friend. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #49   Jan 27, 2009 1:52 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey HARDSELL:

Actually for this one, I defer to DIB.  He stated here recently that in his opinion many dysons are returned and refurbed due to clutch chatter.  That's a dyson euphemism for "gawdawful ratcheting noise."  On this opinion of fact, I concur with DIB.  I suspect it is a significant reason that dyson scrubbed the clutch.  If you like I can privately email you DIB"s post here with it.

Carmine D. 

From your orevious quote:  All truths start out as heresies

You should not start or quote heresies.  The do not always turn out to be the truth.  Sort of like your opinions which are half truth at best.

HARDSELL

Reply #50   Jan 27, 2009 1:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HARDSELL:

I answered this question at least once before for you!  Old customers and their families and friends still ask me about vacuums.  I buy, use, keep, gift vacuums, just to assist them and stay current in the industry. 

BTW, I sent you TWO private messages with TWO links that I promised above about the Mohawk warranty and rugs.  One appears to be fairly recent, August 2008.   You may want to check the date of your reference, it may be old.  The other is a Web SIte for a rug distributor which according to another poster here voids rug warranties with dyson use.  Check them out for yourself. 

I'm really happy for you.  Actually, according to my latest brain scan I have two sides: right and left.  Most people do I'm told, tho some don't use them. 

Carmine D.

Why not just give them a new vacuum as opposed to used?  No need to try before you buy. An ex pro as yourself should know what to buy without trying.

You became non-current when Dyson made a monkey of you.  Have a banana and relax.

I buy and try just to keep old biased self appointed experts in line when they try to deceive.

CarmineD

Reply #51   Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm
Hey HARDSELL:

Do you think DIB would tell a half-truth here about dysons? 

My reference that you quote referred to my own assessment of dyson's limp brush bar going back to April 2002 when I first saw it.  It was met as heresy here by many pro-dyson folks.  Now even dyson and its biggest advocates admit the brush bar [like the clutch fail safety feature] is its weakest link.  Hence the brush bar was scrubbed on later models in favor of a more industry standard brush roll.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Jan 27, 2009 2:09 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Why not just give them a new vacuum as opposed to used? 

Here's another question I answered many times before for you.  I do gift new vacuums too.  Like the 3 new ORECK XL-s.  But only after I use and they meet my approval.   

I really enjoy bananas and never buy them green!  And we were all monkies even before dyson came on the scene.  Read Darwin's Theory of Evolution.  Monkey is in our genes.  Yours too, perhaps more so than others. Especially based on your analogy of high rate of divorces to purchases of many and different vacuum brands! Marriage breakups and buying different brand vacuums every year are related physiologically and pschycologically?  Really?  With your high degree of vacuum indecision, deception by anyone, save yourself,  is a moot point.  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #53   Jan 27, 2009 2:32 pm
Carmine,

Thanks for the link to my3cents.  I found it on an earlier search and could not connect.

How many interpretations could be made from the story?

The writer did not mention the style of carpet.  Could it be one of those that Mohawk recommends being cleaned with straight suction?  One such as yourself should be aware that some styles (as berber) are prone to damage easily if snagged.  By anything.

The article only stated that Mohawk was not responsible for damage by the sweeper.  No mention of Dyson specific.  Do you think that Mohawk asked what brand vacuum was being used?  Did they simply refuse warranty that was not a manufacture defect. Vacuum makers specifically state that liquids are not to be vacuumed.  No need to specify which liquids.  No need to specify brands if your warranty recommends straight suction.  Again, I hope your Oreck does no carpet damage. 

On a recent visit to a Hi Fi store I stopped next door at a flooring center.  They sell Mohawk floor products.  When I inquired about the warranty exclusion the owner gave me a blank stare and replied that he had never heard this.

Before typing this I call one of our major floor centers (Mohawk retailer).  I received a laugh and was told that Mohawk had never mentioned this to them.  If it is in the warranty one would think that a major retailer would know this and communicate it to their customers either before or after the purchase.

I choose not to make judgement on one highly interpretive story over thousands of positive reviews and highly satisfied users.

Just for the record.  Do carpet makers exclude damages from the brush that can't be turned off and is left running in on spot?  Please tell me this can't happen because my wife's former boss had it happen in his home.  I believe his house keeper was using a HOOVER.

HARDSELL

Reply #54   Jan 27, 2009 2:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey HARDSELL:

Do you think DIB would tell a half-truth here about dysons? 

My reference that you quote referred to my own assessment of dyson's limp brush bar going back to April 2002 when I first saw it.  It was met as heresy here by many pro-dyson folks.  Now even dyson and its biggest advocates admit the brush bar [like the clutch fail safety feature] is its weakest link.  Hence the brush bar was scrubbed on later models in favor of a more industry standard brush roll.

Carmine D.

Your reference to Mohawk's declined warranty is quite the opposite of your assessment of Dyson's brush.

It reads:  Mohawk suggest a beater bar for the carpet. They say the Dyson' brushed are two stiff.

One of you is wrong.  Do we believe an egotistical old fart or a major manufacturer?  BTW, you seem to think this manufacturer is very knowledgeable.  Wonder if they would say the same about you.

HARDSELL

Reply #55   Jan 27, 2009 2:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey HARDSELL:

On this one, I follow your lead.  I asked you several times why if you liked a DC07 so much, did you sell after 3 years?  And not buy another dyson, but instead 2 other brands:  Kirby Sentria, Royal Emminence, and now HOOVER Whisper.  Not that I have anthing bad ro say about these choices.  They are all fine choices if you can't make up your mind.  Youe answer was that when you're good and ready, you'll buy another dyson.   Personally I'd say you're working/waiting on another as a gift.  I have a DC07 pink! 

When I'm so inclined, I'll exit here.  Glory and/or humiliation will probably play no part.  Neither will your and dyson's hoping.

BTW, truths are truths whether or not anyone believes and falsehoods are falsehoods even if all believe.  Opinions by their nature are biased.  I have my share and so do you.  And we both express them here.  Readers and posters in need of assistance can pick and choose what and who they wish to follow. 

If there are any of your points that I may have missed, please let me know.  Always happy to accomodate you, my friend. 

Carmine D.

Carmine, please accept my sincerest apology.  I was referencing the humilation of the Z.  I have never and hope to never wish ill happenings to any individual.  Yes, we have some heated disagreements but there is no animosity on my part.  Hope you feel the same.  Regardless you are still a bonehead. 

Have a pleasant afternoon and keep those insults coming.

Trebor

Reply #56   Jan 27, 2009 2:46 pm
First of all, the quote "All great truths begin as heresies" was not posted by Carmine, he copied and pasted MY post.

Second, I did not give the quote in its entirety "History warns us that it is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions.
Thomas Huxley"

Ask any physicist (or astronomer) about the validity of that statement, or look at Hoover. The beater bar was the heresy that actually turned out to be the great truth,(and still is except for glue down carpet.) The stainless steel beater bar had softer bristles, and was actually gentler on carpet than stiff bristles with no beater bar. The fact that the beater bar has fallen into disuse as an old-fashioned idea does not change its effectiveness. When the Electrolux plant was still in Bristol,VA, their test carpets were cleaned with a contraption that was like a giant inside-out Hoover 700, with the test carpets actually fed into its mouth and passed out its-actually it worked quite well. The engineers agreed that Hoover was right about the effectiveness of the beater bar, however, the carpet or rug had to be picked up off the floor and held by the nozzle as the vacuum was pushed back and forth, not possible with a power nozzle, at least not a really maneuverable one. At one time "The earth moves around the sun", "gravity pulls all objects equally", and "the earth is a sphere" were ALL heresies worthy of death to any who dared speak them. And there still is a flat earth society whose members believe that the appollo missions to the moon were all faked. Anyone here want a membership application snail-mailed to them?

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #57   Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm
Hey HARDSELL:

Seems you settled down.

The facts and circumstances are there for all to read and interpret as they like, if they like.  You too.  They can verify with Mohawk and dyson and not take my word or any other.  I mentioned to you that a large regional rug and appliance retailer here in LV recommended against dyson on the rugs I have.   Suggesting HOOVER and others with a manual height adjustment.  My ORECK works fine.  No rug height adjustment!  But ORECK is lighter than full sized vacuums and doesn't get buried down in the rug pile.  I told you too that my builder and his floor/rug contractor recommended against dysons on the rugs that residents and I have in our homes in my community.  Citing instead HOOVER and ORECK.  Maybe due to the fact that these brands are approved by the Carpet and Rug Institute and dyson is not.  BTW, the CRI cite is referenced in the link I provided to you too.  This is all rehashed information I've told you a half dozen times before.  I didn't make it up.  You can choose to believe or disbelieve.  Just like my Mohawk wool carpets. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #58   Jan 27, 2009 3:01 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Your reference to Mohawk's declined warranty is quite the opposite of your assessment of Dyson's brush.

It reads:  Mohawk suggest a beater bar for the carpet. They say the Dyson' brushed are two stiff.

One of you is wrong.  Do we believe an egotistical old fart or a major manufacturer?  BTW, you seem to think this manufacturer is very knowledgeable.  Wonder if they would say the same about you.

Hello HARDSELL:

Simple explanation, believe it or not.  It's my interpretation. 

This is a non-vacuum industry person providing his interpretation of the exchange with dyson/rug retailer.  I take this to mean that his dyson Animal is a DC17 not DC07, but it doesn't say for sure.  Especially since the poster's date is August 2008 more in time with the DC17.  And like dyson told me, disconnect the brush roll/use straight suction and/or attachments [on the rug!!!].  The poster was probably told the same by dyson.  And the poster says Mohawk recommended a beater bar.  I interpret this as a revolving brush not straight suction.  But the brushes on the dyson [DC17] are too stiff and cause damage.  If you research the other link I provided, the model in question is a DC17.   But the rug distributor does not make the voided warranty model specific instead disallowing all models by that brand.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #59   Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Simple explanation, believe it or not.  It's my interpretation. 

This is a non-vacuum industry person providing his interpretation of the exchange with dyson/rug retailer.  I take this to mean that his dyson Animal is a DC17 not DC07, but it doesn't say for sure.  Especially since the poster's date is August 2008 more in time with the DC17.  And like dyson told me, disconnect the brush roll/use straight suction and/or attachments [on the rug!!!].  The poster was probably told the same by dyson.  And the poster says Mohawk recommended a beater bar.  I interpret this as a revolving brush not straight suction.  But the brushes on the dyson [DC17] are too stiff and cause damage.  If you research the other link I provided, the model in question is a DC17.   But the rug distributor does not make the voided warranty model specific instead disallowing all models by that brand.

Carmine D.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why  some people appear
    bright until you hear them speak.
CarmineD

Reply #60   Jan 27, 2009 5:28 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Light travels faster than sound. That's why  some people appear
    bright until you hear them speak.

..............and for a very limited few, their brilliance radiates like the sunshine!  But, of course, one must be able to read and comprehend to understand and appreciate them!  Since you didn't know and asked me the question, which I answered and explained to you in very short order, figure out who is who.  Take your time before you answer.  I don't want you to have to change your mind [again].

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 60 of 60View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42