Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > NEW Hoover Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vaclov

NEW Hoover Upright
Original Message   Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm
I don't know if anyone has seen this but I think I like it better just by hearing how it sounds, seems much more quiet than the Oreck. This vacuum comes with a 6 year warranty at only $399, pretty good deal. Sorry if this was posted already.

HSN Video:
http://home-solutions.hsn.com/hoover-platinum-collection-lightweight-bagged-upright-vacuum-with-handheld-canister-vac_p-4709906_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=4709906&sf=hw&attr=644&ocm=HW|644&prev=hp!sf!644&ccm=HW|644
Replies: 22 - 31 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Oreck XL7 vs. Dyson DC24 - the Which? verdict.
Reply #22   Jan 25, 2009 5:02 pm
Model2 wrote:
Oreck XL7 - from £419
Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 3 stars
Laminate floors 4 stars
Floorboards 2 stars
Walls and corners 3 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 1 star
Pet hair  5 stars
Noise 1 star
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  5 stars
Cleaning stairs 3 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Dyson DC24 - from £176.99 (WHICH? BEST BUY)

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 5 stars
Laminate floors 5 stars
Floorboards 5 stars
Walls and corners 4 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 4 stars
Pet hair  2 stars
Noise 2 stars
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  2 stars
Cleaning stairs 2 stars
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

Given that the 'Best Buy'-rated DC24 can be found at £240 less than the Oreck, and outperformed it in nearly every test, I know what I'd spend my money on (and, in fact, DID spend my money on!). And I can tell you from personal experience, the suction through the hose is perfectly adequate for everyday tasks. More annoying is the short hose and the 'combination' tool, adapted from the DC16 hand-held cleaner, and lack of a crevice nozzle!
Model2,

Yes, CR and Which may recommend other cheaper and/or more featured and/or better rated vac’s over the Oreck.  Yet, when a person is sold on the idea of buying an Oreck vice anything else and since the Oreck has a high price tag...  the cheaper w/more features Oreck-like Hoover looks financially enticing (i.e. hurts Oreck’s sales).  Additionally, I believe Red-Hoover at will, can destroy most anyone on pricing since they are Chinese owned and control much retail shelf space (Hoover, Dirt Devil, VAX, etc.).  A $98 Whisper proves this out.  Surely Red-Hoover instills much fear in their competitors.  Fear, not of innovation, but of being knocked off and then underpriced.

DIB
This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #23   Jan 25, 2009 5:06 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
A $98 Whisper proves this out.  Surely Red-Hoover instills much fear in their competitors.  Fear, not of innovation, but of being knocked off and then underpriced.

DIB

Yes indeed DIB.  It was a $98 HOOVER bagless upright Fusion, which consistently received NO BUY ratings from CR, that KO-ed [knocked-out] dyson's DC07 [$379] at Wal*mart stores in 2005 in just about 6 months.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Jan 25, 2009 5:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Yes indeed DIB.  It was a $98 HOOVER bagless upright Fusion, which consistently received NO BUY ratings from CR, that KO-ed [knocked-out] dyson's DC07 [$379] at Wal*mart stores in 2005 in just about 6 months.

Carmine D.

I recently looked at Hoover's last 100 patents and applications, not one is of the Fusion...  Can't patent something that's knocked off.        DIB
This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

HARDSELL

Reply #25   Jan 25, 2009 8:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Do others find it strange that a vacuum that could perform this feat is not on WM site.

There are, however 8 Dysons for sale on the site.  All with 5 star ratings. 

Of course Carmine only presents what he wants us to read.  Truth is WM and Dyson had other issues. Fusion did not cause the demise of Dyson.   Hoover Z was also going to be Dyson's demise per Carmine.  Hoover had to practically give the Z's away.

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Re: NEW Hoover Upright
Reply #26   Jan 25, 2009 8:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The ORECK use of "top fill bag" is truthful, accurate, and correct.  Attributes which never get old and out of date even after 50 years. 

If some here can get enthralled over 50 year old obsolete technology patent drawings of a defunct company, I suspect ORECK can find some people who like to read its "padded" features.

Carmine D.

And to think that it took an ex pro 50 years to discover Oreck.   Some things never get out of date, they just do not produce like the modern versions.
HARDSELL

Reply #27   Jan 25, 2009 8:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Considering that the ORECK bag is one of the largest in the industry [6 quart capacity], contains all the dust/dirt during dumping, and is replaced in seconds by the user, it is effective technology.  Just like ORECK's direct air flow suction technology.  Perfectly simple.  Perfectly effective.   

Carmine D.

A 1 qt. bag would be sufficient to hold the annual dirt collected by the Oreck.

I am sure they use more belts than bags.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #28   Jan 25, 2009 8:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Do others find it strange that a vacuum that could perform this feat is not on WM site.

There are, however 8 Dysons for sale on the site.  All with 5 star ratings. 

Of course Carmine only presents what he wants us to read.  Truth is WM and Dyson had other issues. Fusion did not cause the demise of Dyson.   Hoover Z was also going to be Dyson's demise per Carmine.  Hoover had to practically give the Z's away.

Hey Hardsell,
How is the Whisper working out for you?  How does it filter?  Are you watching the pre-filter for dirtying and does it dirty quickly?  How often does Hoover recommend pre-filter cleaning?

Did you ever see Hoover's Z t.v. commercial...  where a user off-roads/jumps the vacuum around the house?  What were they thinking?

Thanks,
DIB

CarmineD

Reply #29   Jan 26, 2009 6:43 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Hey HS:

No, considering the FUSION has been superceded at W*M stores by the HOOVER Mach 3,5,7 models.  The MACH 3 and 5 were intro-ed as W*M exclusives when the 2 year FUSION deal between HOOVER and W*M ended.  FUSION was sourced by TT1 before HOOVER was acquired in 2008 by TTI. 

W*M scrubbed sales of the DC07 models at W*M stores for several years after James tried to micro manage dyson prices.  FUSION filled the void for sales of bagless uprights.  Very well I might add.  One of W*M's best vacuum sellers for all times.  Dyson grovelled.  W*M agreed and added a DC07 Original [exclusive] for $378.  Only carried a 2 year warranty vice the 5 year for all other retail sold dysons.  Sales were a dud.  It's gone from W*M stores now as well as all other dysons once store stock is sold out.   Dyson can't compete in the big box store venues.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #30   Jan 26, 2009 6:54 am
HARDSELL wrote:
And to think that it took an ex pro 50 years to discover Oreck.   Some things never get out of date, they just do not produce like the modern versions.

Hey HS:

With age comes wisdom.  Sadly, you're the exception!  ORECK's simplicity is an attribute.  Allows belts and bags [both of which are readily available and very inexpensive] to be changed quickly and easily by users.  Of course in order to work properly, the user must turn the ORECK on and move it across the rugs/floors.  You don't swing it like a golf club!

HOOVER says its belt is lifetime, an edge over ORECK.  I said already HOOVER's HEPA bag copies ORECK with the self-sealing opening during replacement/dumping.  As does HOOVER's 2 for 1 promotion with the cann vacuum.  Both equal.  HOOVER has WT technology.  Edge to HOOVER.  HOOVER has a 40 ft cord.  Edge to HOOVER.

DC24 gets fair to middlin ratings from CR in part because the vacuum industry, even dyson, hasn't produced a lightweight vacuum with on-board tools that works well in both rug and tool cleaning modes.  It will probably be knocked out now with both HOOVER and ORECK competing. Unless a buyer specifically likes an upright and wants OBT.

The HOOVER/TTI cordless WT Stick for $179 may defy the industry up to now.  Have to see it up close and personal before judging whether it accomplishes this feat: A lightweight that does both cleaning well and is cordless too for $179. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #31   Jan 26, 2009 11:07 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Hardsell,
How is the Whisper working out for you?  How does it filter?  Are you watching the pre-filter for dirtying and does it dirty quickly?  How often does Hoover recommend pre-filter cleaning?

Did you ever see Hoover's Z t.v. commercial...  where a user off-roads/jumps the vacuum around the house?  What were they thinking?

Thanks,
DIB

I like the quietness and the manual height adjustment.  Also like the switched brush control. I have been using a Royal and a Kirby for almost 2 years.  My first use of the Whisper resulted in vacuuming up a lot of fine dust and carpet lint/fuzz. This is declining with each use. I have noticed that if there is something like string or sock lint on the carpet it often takes more than one pass to remove it.  Same thing is true on tile or wood floors.  When using the crevice tool the suction blockage indicator red light remains on almost constantly and any debris in the bin stops spinning.  In fact the spinning practically stops at less than 1/4 full. It is very easy to maneuver around.  Edge and corner cleaning is very good.  In fact it seems to have more suction in this use than on the open floor. When emptying you have to manually pull the heavier piles of carpet lint out.  I am concerned about the pre filter.  It gets dirty way too soon IMO.  I have already vacuumed it out with my Royal.  Recommended washing is every 3 months.  I think it will be required more often for top performance. I never had this problem with the DC07.  The hose is easier to use than Dyson's. A longer electrical cord would be nice.  Carpets look better groomed than with the Royal or Kirby.  Also feel better (nop feels fluffier) when walking bare foot. 

The Whisper is a good value (if the pre filter does not become an issue).  Like all others, it is not perfect,  It is the best Dyson copy yet.  Certainly better than the Fusion at a cheaper price.

Replies: 22 - 31 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42