Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 226 - 235 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iggy1635

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner (VIDEO)
Reply #226   Nov 11, 2008 4:07 am
Not sure if this has been posted here recently but I just found this today looking around for when the Miele S7 was coming to the us. 

The new Miele S7

CarmineD

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #227   Nov 11, 2008 6:56 am
Hello MOLE:

Thanks for the summary on CVS.  I'll note too for many years the VDTA did not support and promote them.  Only in recent years has the VDTA taken a more active role for CVS in the industry.

I hail your wish for big box retailers to enter the CVS venue.  Rumors were circulating awhile ago that Circuit City stores were poised to do so.  No doubt its own shakey financial conditions and the awful economy made them scrub the plans [at least for now].

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 11, 2008 by CarmineD
Actionvac

Reply #228   Nov 11, 2008 1:33 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Action, Severus,

While i have a lot of respect for the 2 of you as industry professionals, I must throw this out ,Yes the average life expectancy of the powerplant  itself will last for 20 years its all the other components that break and wear out within 5 or 7 years. The replacement parts for the german machines are 5 times the price of the domestic brands,and the quality is not that much different.

A central vacuum system is life of the house, but the attachments go away in 8 to 10 years, I have tried to justify a 900.00 portable vacuum cleaner but i can not , maybe i look at it the wrong way, but i'm not your average vacuum cleaner salesman.............

Take care

MOLE

Its all about wanting to own quality, just vacuum with a Miele and feel and hear the difference(quiet) and no pollutants blowing back into the air, I am 10 years a Miele dealer and even the smaller 217 powerhead hardly and repairs so far, only the variable speed hoses but were warrantied for life so no biggie and the cord rewind on older models mostly 300 series the contacts would loosen (5 minute repair) but today your box store vacuum is junk with life expectancy of 6 mos to 2 years at best, (I meant Hoover has a self propelled Walmart bagless that is bad within a couple months) except Dyson 5 year warranty but those start at 400-650.00, and if you are my Miele customer it is part only no labor costs so repairs very reasonable, same with Riccar that has very low cost parts. Just placed my S-7 order today so we will see how they go
Venson

Reply #229   Nov 11, 2008 3:37 pm
Speaking of quality, for those that can remember, in comparison to today's appliance prices were the better vacuums in past, proportionate to average income, priced the same?

There is such a thing as quality and such a thing as nonsense and hype. There can be and should be decent vacuums within the $250 to $350 range. (And I'm sure we're all well aware that a $400 vacuum cleaner did not require an expense of $300 to make it but far less. It's one thing for instance to spend a bundle on a vacuum in anticipation long use and another for the manufacturer to further cash in on that perception by price gouging on options and consumables.

One example -- I will never understand why there was not even a mini turbo nozzle included with my Miele Capricorn or why, if I really wanted one, Miele would expect me drop 70 bucks for it. It costs all of five bucks to make -- if that. We're talking a vacuum that has an SRP of $1,195.00.

At least Kenmore included an electric mini nozzle, which I much prefer, in a $400 deal. I also felt that a combi floor tool would meet my needs better than the bare floor tool included with my Miele. It cost over $65.00 to get one by Miele. Save for a cute spin by way of the single pedal to switch fromcarpet to bare floors there is no special quality in any way shape or form. It was merely a purchase I made because I could.

If we're merely talking decent emissions, good cleaning and reasonable convenience, $400 to $500 vacuums, should still be looked on as more the exception than the rule. I like my Miele but will never recommend it over more practically priced machines when observing a budget is a main objective. All that shines ain't gold.

Venson
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #230   Nov 12, 2008 4:43 pm
I have to agree with what Actionvac says, it's about wanting to own quality products.  There is so much 'cheap' rubbish on the markets today, well has been for quite a few years in the UK.  You get what you pay for.

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #231   Nov 13, 2008 7:24 am
DC18 wrote:
I have to agree with what Actionvac says, it's about wanting to own quality products.  There is so much 'cheap' rubbish on the markets today, well has been for quite a few years in the UK.  You get what you pay for.

DC18

I'll second that: Owning quality products.  And raise this: Getting the most value [read: useful life] for the money, regardless of the purchases and products.

Being rather old in the tooth, the men of the Church [80/90's] frequently gather for coffee at one or more of the local North LV daunts and talk about the economy, politics, money and the latest Las Vegas scuttlebutt.   Often heard when talking about purchases whether vehicles, clothes, houses, etc.: This is the last one I will ever buy.  It has to last.  Cost and/or time left on God's green earth are irrelevant.   It's about getting the most bang for the buck with your hard earned money.  Their buying and spending habits are ingrained and intact.    Won't change.  Not uncommon for the men to wear 20 year old clothes from Nordstrom's bought during one of its semi-annual sales at half price but still costing 100's of dollars when new.  Nowadays, most with wives who passed, the personal purchases are fewer but still the buying traits of cost for quality [and useful life] remain and prevail.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 14, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #232   Nov 14, 2008 8:56 am
Here's a postscript on Nordstrom:

Nordstrom handles returns on a case-by-case basis.  A spokeswoman says the department store will sometimes replace items bought years ago to keep customers happy.  "We really think a reason our customers shop with us is that we stand behind our merchandise," she says.

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #233   Nov 24, 2008 7:40 pm
I've managed to see 2 of the models in the S7 line up in a shop (not test drove one yet!).  One thing I did noticed it feels heavy to lift!   Like the Vax Mach series! One thing I will praise it for is it's low profile cleaning head to get under furniture, and the fact it lies flat on the floor and doesn't look to bulky!  Not many of today's uprights can do that compared with vacuum cleaners of days gone by!   

DC18

Lucky1

Reply #234   Nov 25, 2008 1:43 pm
Our S7's came in today and I like it as much as I did before when first demo'ed.

HEAVY? Yes!
Without weighing them, and due to the balance/lift points it actually seems heavier than the Synergy. I wouldn't want to be 98LBS and have to carry it up a flight....but it trundles very easily. The VERY LONG extending hose that doesn't tip the machine is VERY IMPRESSIVE. Great for stairs..... but then, you have to bring it up to clean the 2nd floor>...LOL. Unless you buy 2!

Easy swivel and low profile are great.

Unfortunately I'm in a canister market so I doubt I won't set any sales records for them but I rate it as one of the Best Uprights I've encountered.

Any specific questions and I'll try to answer.
CarmineD

Reply #235   Nov 25, 2008 4:47 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

Unfortunately I'm in a canister market so I doubt I won't set any sales records for them but I rate it as one of the Best Uprights I've encountered.

Hello Lucky1:

Just in time for the Holiday sales.  Obviously, you will keep one displayed prominently where all the store traffic can see and ask about!  Please share with us your customers' reactions and impressions when they see/use.  Weight will be a concern for some customers.  But I'm curious to learn what MIELE customers think about the new upright as well as the general vacuum public. 

The target market for these uprights, along with quality vacuum buyers, is MIELE cann buyers/users who secretly prefer uprights but compromised personal likes for the MIELE brand.  Over the years, they settled for the MIELE cann's.  There is an existing pent up demand for uprights by these MIELE customers and you may be surprised by the number of sales.  MIELE needs to promote this angle aggressively and shake up and out these customers' interest now.  I suspect MIELE will in early December in time for Christmas sales.

Also, many customers bought into the bagless hype and purchased the high priced uprights during the last 5 years from the big box retailers.  Thinking these were quality made and would save them money.  But now they have grown tired of the extra care and effort these bagless vacuums require to use and maintain.  Like dirt bin dumping daily.  And/or the time, effort, and difficulty required for obtaining service/parts.  These customers are looking now to lock in a known vacuum brand with a reputation for lasting 20 years and an existing network of dealer authorized stores who service and support the brand.  They will want to trade/upgrade their exisiting vacuums; or relegate them to the second level, basement and/or garage.   This is an easy and convenient way for vacuum buyers to justify an out-of-pocket expense for another/new vacuum. 

If I recall correctly, you said months back that your geographic area is insulated from the bad economic conditions.  If this is still the case, these new MIELE uprights, among the vacuum customers I described, should be a very good seller for you.  Congratulations and good luck

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 226 - 235 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42