Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 216 - 225 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #216   Oct 31, 2008 7:12 am
mole wrote:

Do you think the average consumer really wants to use the same  cleaner for 20 years?Even if they think its still working right.......

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

Yes and no.  The generation that came up during the Great Depression when purchases were made for a lifetime bought and used for 20 years.  Today, not so much.  But today's customers still have the inherent buying biases of their parents and grandparents.  SOME still want to buy and know that it will last 20 years.  Not that they will necessarily use it for 20 years, but they would like to pass along to family members and love ones when they do make a new vacuum purchase.  Electrolux and Kirby had the same attraction for buyers too.  Last a lifetime.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #217   Oct 31, 2008 11:21 am
mole wrote:
Why so much?</p><p>Do you think the average consumer really wants to use the same  cleaner for 20 years?Even if they think its still working right.......</p><p>MOLE

Interesting question! In addition I'm not sure how they will take to the Price as well. At this point I not sure if I'll go with the "Initial big buy in" being offered. Most of my market is contrary to national demands in that they want canisters. I'm very impressed with the machine and especially the 20 year target longevity. That being said, now back to the question...I'm trying with my shop, to break into an ELECTROLUX/ORECK market. So on one hand, I have people who do APPRECIATE a machine that lasts BUT since they bought one 10/15/20 years ago they are still under the impression a new Electrolux (AERUS) only costs $500. They are choosing to repair and milk their machine a little longer. Miele buyers on the other hand are generally younger and arrive from recommendations.

Will they buy a $900 upright when their favorite stores like BB&Beyond have shiny Dysons and Bissell's for less?
Venson

Reply #218   Oct 31, 2008 11:59 am
Lucky1 wrote:

Will they buy a $900 upright when their favorite stores like BB&Beyond have shiny Dysons and Bissell's for less?

Hi Lucky1,

As far as realistic shoppers are concerned, I think only those who yet feel some sort of security/possibilities in regard to the next couple of years ahead will take the plunge for high-end/high-priced  product even though of extra worth due to longevity.  Those who are beginning to brush up on bean recipes are definitely going to be deciding on whatever can be most easily fitted into the budget as it stands.  Even Christmas, our best excuse for out of the ordinary purchases, is more than likely to be slim pickings for vendors of goods this year.

Regarding the less practical buyer, I don't think splurgers and/or impulse buyers have ever made significant impact on sales.

Venson

Actionvac

Reply #219   Nov 4, 2008 10:19 am
mole wrote:
Why so much?

Do you think the average consumer really wants to use the same  cleaner for 20 years?Even if they think its still working right.......

MOLE

The Miele customer is a person who wants a step above, now we sell a lot of 200-500.00 vacuums but 125 or so times a year someone comes in and wants real quality and is willing to pay for it, the Miele S7 will fit that bill. I get a lot of consumers tired of replacing there dusty  bagless every year to them 20 years sounds like nirvana
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #220   Nov 7, 2008 5:42 pm
People want a vacuum that will last for 20 years, even if they don't want to keep it that long.  If the average Miele lasts 20 years, then it will be able to take some abuse. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
mole

Reply #221   Nov 8, 2008 8:16 am
Hi Action, Severus,

While i have a lot of respect for the 2 of you as industry professionals, I must throw this out ,Yes the average life expectancy of the powerplant  itself will last for 20 years its all the other components that break and wear out within 5 or 7 years. The replacement parts for the german machines are 5 times the price of the domestic brands,and the quality is not that much different.

A central vacuum system is life of the house, but the attachments go away in 8 to 10 years, I have tried to justify a 900.00 portable vacuum cleaner but i can not , maybe i look at it the wrong way, but i'm not your average vacuum cleaner salesman.............

Take care

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #222   Nov 10, 2008 8:15 am
mole wrote:

A central vacuum system is life of the house, but the attachments go away in 8 to 10 years, I have tried to justify a 900.00 portable vacuum cleaner but i can not , maybe i look at it the wrong way, but i'm not your average vacuum cleaner salesman.............

Take care

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

I'll throw this out too in parry to you.  Central vacuum systems, tho around for almost as long as we've been in the vacuum business, have never obtained the popularity and success in the USA that one would think.  A testament to the the fact that vacuum buyers, at least in the USA, still prefer portables to centrals, regardless of the prices. 

I mentioned that my daughter's home [over 3000 sq feet with 2 levels] is plumbed for a CVS and I plan to install one.  But I've not rushed.  Why?  I suspect even with the CVS, she, her husband, and the little ones will inevitably use the portables.  Why?  Custom?  Habit?  Not particularly enthralled with the vacuuming chore?  Currently, the portables are an ORECK upright, dyson DC07 pink, HOOVER WT Dual V [bag/bagless], a Dirt Devil handcleaner [stairs] and several cordless stick vacuums not counting garage vacuum cleaners and a compact ORECK for vacuuming the vehicles.  They are, in my opinion, a perfect candidate for a new MIELE upright/canister that will last 20 years vice a CVS.  I'd go with the CVS.  But not them.

Carmine D.

PS:  And you can see where I'm going with this: New MIELE vice new CVS? 

This message was modified Nov 10, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #223   Nov 10, 2008 9:15 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

I'll throw this out too in parry to you.  Central vacuum systems, tho around for almost as long as we've been in the vacuum business, have never obtained the popularity and success in the USA that one would think.  A testament to the the fact that vacuum buyers, at least in the USA, still prefer portables to centrals, regardless of the prices. 

I mentioned that my daughter's home [over 3000 sq feet with 2 levels] is plumbed for a CVS and I plan to install one.  But I've not rushed.  Why?  I suspect even with the CVS, she, her husband, and the little ones will inevitably use the portables.  Why?  Custom?  Habit?  Not particularly enthralled with the vacuuming chore?  Currently, the portables are an ORECK upright, dyson DC07 pink, HOOVER WT Dual V [bag/bagless], a Dirt Devil handcleaner [stairs] and several cordless stick vacuums not counting garage vacuum cleaners and a compact ORECK for vacuuming the vehicles.  They are, in my opinion, a perfect candidate for a new MIELE upright/canister that will last 20 years vice a CVS.  I'd go with the CVS.  But not them.

Carmine D.

PS:  And you can see where I'm going with this: New MIELE vice new CVS? 

Hi Carmine,

I believe that many dealers shy away from central systems

1 dont want to get involved with installations

2 try and turn the customer against them with horror stories ,that really hold no merit.

3 dont understand how it benefits the consumer,

4 the old it looses suction and cfm because of the pipe run [only if you use a system thats underrated for the application,

5 stuck in the stone age and like some of us its hard to change.

6 the only customers that dont use centrals are renters,[so a portable is the only way out.

7 If Box stores want centrals [LET THEM] i would welcome them ] it creates compitition,may the best man win.

8 there is not a strong indy that i know that does not sell service and install central systems....

sincerly

MOLE

Venson

Reply #224   Nov 10, 2008 11:41 am
Hi Mole,

Personally, I all for central vacs but I have one question . . . Would the possibility of a lesser requirement for after-market purchasing (bags, filters, etc.) be a reason for disinterest in CVs by some vendors? Hypothetically, there should be less annual spending on maintenance and consumables(?)for a decent central vac. I'd guess it doesn't pay off unless you can move a good number of units per year.

Thanks,

Venson
mole

Reply #225   Nov 10, 2008 1:57 pm
Hi Venson.

Yes this is a big reason, But dont forget their are bagged and filtered central systems, The aftermarket is there, Almost every central vacuum customer buys a hose sock[great product], a vacpan  for hard floor surfaces,

Even garage kits are popular, doesnt beat up on electric hoses,powerheads,attachments.Garage kits are for garage duty only,you know the rough stuff,

There is always a steady flow of service and repair work[service calls], centrals have been around for over 50 years now, there is already a built-in aftermarket.

I agree that a quality system should be cyclonic,bagless, the best set up yet is the self cleaning rayon filter,sort of feels like your shirt,

The attachments and powernozzles go from  bargain basement to ultra expensive.Sort of like MIELES.............

MOLE
Replies: 216 - 225 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42