Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > I finally bought a new lightweight

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

I finally bought a new lightweight
Original Message   Feb 19, 2008 5:20 pm
After much discussion and pondering and the infamous Oreck XL21 thread.  I finally bought a lightweight vacuum for my home.  I set out this weekend with all intentions of buying an Oreck.  On Saturday the man at the Oreck Clean Home Center was very plesant, he let me handle and try everything on display. He came off the price and re-arranged the packages for me as well as offered factory refurbished and reconditioned trades to help meet my budget.

I left the Oreck store positive I was coming back, but I wanted to take a look a the Simplicity Freedom before I made the final decision.  I went to the Sewing Center/Vacuum shop we have done business with all my life; and which my mother has done business with for over 60 years.  Unfortunately the salesman must have been short on commission and long on inventory this month as he was only interested in my wallet and not my needs.

I began by telling him what I was interested in, an Oreck, or Freedom lightweight vacuum for quick clean ups and low pile carpet in the basement and kitchen. I further explained that I had a good high power vacuum I was happy with for normal cleaning and this would be a complement not a replacement.

He immediately started to run down my main machine (BAD FIRST MOVE--we are attached to each other).  So with this move he began showing me the me the Simplicity Synergy Tandem Air (Weighing in at approximately 22 lbs and a cost of $1,479 plus trade). He poured sand on the floor, he pulled water up a column from a colored fish bowl, he hooked up hoses to hose with a shop vac.  He did everything but show me the Freedom.

When he finally got finished with dog and pony show he explained how unhappy I would be with the Freedom because I was used to power and for approximately the same amount of the Freedom he could sell me the Synergy's little brother which isn't tandem air but still is more powerful than a tornado in an outhouse.

I stood firm that I came in looking for the Freedom, but now he pretty much talked me out of anything.  This is when he shot me the wonderful low price for the Freedom of $579, which with my loyalty discount he would drop to $479 and take another $50 off with the coupon in the paper today so now it's $429 and would give me a years supply of bags to boot. Well with that wonderful deal how did I walk away you ask?  By slipping on my coat, zipping my daughter's coat and walking to the car.

I did think it over and decided that the Oreck was high priced, and he did offer me a factory refurb for $299 and still had a decent warranty.  My decision was an Oreck Ultra.  Monday I was off to the Oreck store, but before I went I decided to stop by the Vacuum shop one of the church members just opened on the west side.  I felt I owed it to him to stop in and even if I bought the Oreck from him I was supporting a fellow Catholic.  It just so happened when I walked in I found he sold higher end vacuums.  Melie, Sebo, Lindenhaus were all lined up in the window.  I found he also sold the Riccar line.  I told him what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it.  He listened to me and brought out a Riccar RSL4. There was no pressure, no comparing to other machines, no running anything down or trying to move me up in price. I took it home for $299, a year's worth of bags and he carried it to the car for me.  I will do a review of the vac itself in the review section.  

I will say that the buying experience at the Oreck Clean Home Center and the Independent vac shop was very pleasant.  If everyone could experience this kind of service, no one would buy at Wal-Mart again.  It is so refreshing to see this kind of service still exists. The experience at the Sewing Center/Vac Shop ws worse than a four hour home demo from the Filter Queen gestopo.  I doubt I will be doing business there in the future.

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by Just
Replies: 56 - 65 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: I finally bought a new lightweight
Reply #56   Mar 23, 2008 7:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Did you invent a new star rating scale for consumers and dysons? Or did the superior HOOVER ratings and inferior dyson ratings make you see stars?  

Carmine D.

Your posted review site directs us to Amazon reviews.  Amazon gives the same star rating to Tempo and DC17.  Now if you divide the # of 5 star reviews by the total reviews you will see that I did not alter the rating scale.  More positive reviews for the top rating.  I only report facts and not what I dream.  BTW, are you still on those mind altering meds?

Again I am sorry for the brain damage from that butt kicking from Dyson.

HARDSELL

Reply #57   Mar 23, 2008 7:17 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Why have you not bought a new dyson to replace the one you say was the best and you never should have sold? 

Carmine D.

i will when I am ready.
HARDSELL

Reply #58   Mar 23, 2008 7:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HARDSELL:

Moved to a new home in August 2006 with new carpets.  I bought a new dyson DC07 and it didn't work on my carpets.   I didn't sell it [like you], or return to the retailer [as dyson recommended].   I gifted it away.  It was fine for awhile.  Then, new home with new carpets and same old dyson problem.  For 2 others beside myself.

I'm still willing to give a dyson another chance.  I've said so several times.  I asked for dyson recommendations from you.  None forthcoming yet.  Do you have one?

Carmine D.

Carmine,

What you do with a vacuum matters not to me.  You should also know that I could give a crap less if you like me selling or gifting.  I will tell you again  that I have no remorse about selling a quality product.  I gave a Hoover self propelled WT away because the Dyson out performed it.  I would have felt guilty about selling the Hoover.

Why bother with another Dyson in your home.  After the butt kicking from Dyson it could cause bad memories. 

If you must have a Dyson I have a recommendation.  Get better carpet.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #59   Mar 23, 2008 10:10 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Polycarbonate.

Motor:

You stole my line.  Poly crack alot.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 24, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #60   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

If you must have a Dyson I have a recommendation.  Get better carpet.

Mole has a better idea.  I'll just remove the carpet all together and then I can use the upright dyson DC07 pink on all the barefloors.

Truth be told, the ORECK is far superior to both the HOOVER  and dyson put together. Wouldn't you agree?

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by CarmineD
Just

Reply #61   Jan 15, 2009 5:21 pm
It has been almost a year since I bought the Supralite, and there are still no regrets.

Remember this is a second machine, but I like others on the board here, have found it easier to grab the little guy more often than the Mega Monster.  Not to say that I don't still use my main vac, but the lightweight gets a lot of use.

I replaced the belt for the first time about a month ago, this is not as easy as the book says it is.  You have turn the machine over, take the rug plate off, then pull the roller brush out then you can unthread the belt from the motor shaft.  Reversing the process with a new and much tighter belt is not an easy task.  After you finally get the belt threaded back onto the motor shaft where you have to turn the belt sideways to work it through the tight space, you then have to put it around the roller brush and then work it back into position.  Stretching the belt and trying to get the roller back in it's brackets made me feel like I had spent a workout on "Biggest Looser".

Lucky this is not a task that I have to do often, I put the last of the free bags in on Saturday.   Taking almost a year to use seven bags should not reflect on the little guy's ability to pick up.  Remember this is not the only vac with cleaning chores around my house, and the bags are very large, so even with Eskie hair they take a while to fill up.  I usually change them because of the "Doggie Smell" before they are really packed with dirt and hair.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2009 by Just
Venson

Reply #62   Jan 15, 2009 6:25 pm
Just, did you try using a screwdriver to guide the belt onto the motor shaft.  It may help make things easier.  I learned this a long time ago when putting the belt back in place after using the attachments on my grandmother's old GE.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #63   Jan 16, 2009 6:49 am
Hello Just:

Glad you like your RICCAR Supralite.

One of the reasons I replace my ORECK belt so frequently [4/5 months] is because it is so easy and at $2-3.00 a pop not costly.  And when you are dealing with 4 amps, a good belt, bag, and brush roll make the vacuum perform at peak level.  I am extremely satisfied with my XL Classic. 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #64   Jan 16, 2009 10:37 am
Carmine,

I agree you need to keep the belts in good condition to keep the vacuum at peak.  I usually change them when I hear the brush roll struggling or slowing down.  I am sure after I have done it a few times it will get easier.    Silly ole me is just used to the Magic Finger on the Kirby wasn't used to holding the vac down with my feet while I pulled with both hands to tug the brush roll into position while trying to keep the belt from snaping off the side. 

I was impressed with the Oreck as well.  The Oreck Clean Home Center is a very plesant experience.  Even though I didn't buy from them, I would highly recommend their vacs just from the customer experience.

CarmineD

Reply #65   Jan 16, 2009 11:47 am
Kirby has the patent on easy belt installs. 

Glad to hear your praise for ORECK, staff and stores.  They are the industry model.  I always have a delightful experience with their staffs/stores.  I always ask to see the boss, Dave, first to break the ice. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 56 - 65 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42