Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > I finally bought a new lightweight

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

I finally bought a new lightweight
Original Message   Feb 19, 2008 5:20 pm
After much discussion and pondering and the infamous Oreck XL21 thread.  I finally bought a lightweight vacuum for my home.  I set out this weekend with all intentions of buying an Oreck.  On Saturday the man at the Oreck Clean Home Center was very plesant, he let me handle and try everything on display. He came off the price and re-arranged the packages for me as well as offered factory refurbished and reconditioned trades to help meet my budget.

I left the Oreck store positive I was coming back, but I wanted to take a look a the Simplicity Freedom before I made the final decision.  I went to the Sewing Center/Vacuum shop we have done business with all my life; and which my mother has done business with for over 60 years.  Unfortunately the salesman must have been short on commission and long on inventory this month as he was only interested in my wallet and not my needs.

I began by telling him what I was interested in, an Oreck, or Freedom lightweight vacuum for quick clean ups and low pile carpet in the basement and kitchen. I further explained that I had a good high power vacuum I was happy with for normal cleaning and this would be a complement not a replacement.

He immediately started to run down my main machine (BAD FIRST MOVE--we are attached to each other).  So with this move he began showing me the me the Simplicity Synergy Tandem Air (Weighing in at approximately 22 lbs and a cost of $1,479 plus trade). He poured sand on the floor, he pulled water up a column from a colored fish bowl, he hooked up hoses to hose with a shop vac.  He did everything but show me the Freedom.

When he finally got finished with dog and pony show he explained how unhappy I would be with the Freedom because I was used to power and for approximately the same amount of the Freedom he could sell me the Synergy's little brother which isn't tandem air but still is more powerful than a tornado in an outhouse.

I stood firm that I came in looking for the Freedom, but now he pretty much talked me out of anything.  This is when he shot me the wonderful low price for the Freedom of $579, which with my loyalty discount he would drop to $479 and take another $50 off with the coupon in the paper today so now it's $429 and would give me a years supply of bags to boot. Well with that wonderful deal how did I walk away you ask?  By slipping on my coat, zipping my daughter's coat and walking to the car.

I did think it over and decided that the Oreck was high priced, and he did offer me a factory refurb for $299 and still had a decent warranty.  My decision was an Oreck Ultra.  Monday I was off to the Oreck store, but before I went I decided to stop by the Vacuum shop one of the church members just opened on the west side.  I felt I owed it to him to stop in and even if I bought the Oreck from him I was supporting a fellow Catholic.  It just so happened when I walked in I found he sold higher end vacuums.  Melie, Sebo, Lindenhaus were all lined up in the window.  I found he also sold the Riccar line.  I told him what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it.  He listened to me and brought out a Riccar RSL4. There was no pressure, no comparing to other machines, no running anything down or trying to move me up in price. I took it home for $299, a year's worth of bags and he carried it to the car for me.  I will do a review of the vac itself in the review section.  

I will say that the buying experience at the Oreck Clean Home Center and the Independent vac shop was very pleasant.  If everyone could experience this kind of service, no one would buy at Wal-Mart again.  It is so refreshing to see this kind of service still exists. The experience at the Sewing Center/Vac Shop ws worse than a four hour home demo from the Filter Queen gestopo.  I doubt I will be doing business there in the future.

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by Just
Replies: 46 - 55 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: I finally bought a new lightweight
Reply #46   Mar 23, 2008 12:08 pm
Lets see now,choices of uprights for someone who does not care what it looks like,bagged or bagless,old and in good shape or newer and all buffed out with flames and a rear spoiler from the space shuttle.
Ask yourself this question,who watches me clean my carpets anyways,should i just get the cleaning lady to come over and clean anyways,and use her own vacuum,would you get on her case because the vacuum cleaner she has was ranked poorly in a consumers magazine?.Even though your house looks really clean.Would i be a bad person with out a clue because i dont use a dyson to clean my 9x15 carpet,

How about if i just tore all the carpeting out of my home because my allergest told me to,because no vacuum cleaner does a 100% of dust and dirt removal.

Should i be banished from this forum,because i used the wrong color feather duster to dust my furniture, Should i not like someone because of the vacuum cleaner they use?.

MOLE
HARDSELL

Reply #47   Mar 23, 2008 1:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Motor:

I went to just one of the Web Sites with vacuum ratings that is listed in your post under the search "I want a HOOVER Tempo." [You posted it].

It rates the HOOVER Tempo above the dyson DC17.  Here is a direct quote I excerpted:

Luxury bagless vacuum.

"Dyson vacuums get the most attention in reviews, but in measured testing, Dyson doesn't significantly outperform others when it comes to cleaning carpet and bare floors."

Here is the Web Site so you can verify.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/vacuum-cleaners/index.html?refcd=GO033465s_Hoover&tsacr=GO441561742&gclid=CLOdoqaeo5ICFRkGagodpSPFQQ

Thank you for the Site.  I'll add it to my favorites for future reference on the Tempo.

Happy Easter.

Carmine D.

I see that as usual you only extracted what fits your fantasy.  One needs to read the whole article as opposed to just what a deceiving Dyson basher posts. For those interested they will find that the Tempo gets criticism for things like:  1. Short cord. 2. More suited for carpet than hard floors.  3. No brush turn off . This alone makes it impractical to use the hose and tools.  Of course we could buy numerous vacuums (each with a specialty) or a single Dyson.  There are no specific criticisms listed for Dyson except maybe the price.  They further report that many feel it is worth the premium.

Dyson DC17 rates 73% at 65 stars.  Tempo rates 56% at 5 stars   A rating of 3 or less should be read carefully to determine if any criticism is warranted or if it will actually impact the comsumers application.

It seems that lower Tempo ratings are related to quality issues (these can effect all).  The Dyson is usually specific application that makes it un aceptable to the reviewer.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by HARDSELL
Vernon

Reply #48   Mar 23, 2008 2:15 pm
mole wrote:

,because no vacuum cleaner does a 100% of dust and dirt removal.

MOLE

I second this statement!!
CarmineD

Reply #49   Mar 23, 2008 2:50 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Repititious of you and Dyson.

HARDSELL:

Moved to a new home in August 2006 with new carpets.  I bought a new dyson DC07 and it didn't work on my carpets.   I didn't sell it [like you], or return to the retailer [as dyson recommended].   I gifted it away.  It was fine for awhile.  Then, new home with new carpets and same old dyson problem.  For 2 others beside myself.

I'm still willing to give a dyson another chance.  I've said so several times.  I asked for dyson recommendations from you.  None forthcoming yet.  Do you have one?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #50   Mar 23, 2008 2:53 pm
HEY BIG V, how's it going, is the lindhaus aria out of the repair shop yet, DO you drive or take the sled dog team to get around up there. Isn't being in customer service becoming more challenging every day.

Had a customer call me from your area with a renni, by the time we were done talking about all the problems,and the possible causes and diagnostics involved ,his final comment was .Should i just take it outside and shoot it..............

BEST REGARDS

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #51   Mar 23, 2008 3:11 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
  Of course we could buy numerous vacuums (each with a specialty) or a single Dyson.  There are no specific criticisms listed for Dyson except maybe the price.  They further report that many feel it is worth the premium.

Why have you not bought a new dyson to replace the one you say was the best and you never should have sold? 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Mar 23, 2008 4:57 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Dyson DC17 rates 73% at 65 stars.  Tempo rates 56% at 5 stars  

HS:

Did you invent a new star rating scale for consumers and dysons? Or did the superior HOOVER ratings and inferior dyson ratings make you see stars?  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #53   Mar 23, 2008 6:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Motor:

I went to just one of the Web Sites with vacuum ratings that is listed in your post under the search "I want a HOOVER Tempo." [You posted it].

It rates the HOOVER Tempo above the dyson DC17.  Here is a direct quote I excerpted:

Luxury bagless vacuum.

"Dyson vacuums get the most attention in reviews, but in measured testing, Dyson doesn't significantly outperform others when it comes to cleaning carpet and bare floors."

Here is the Web Site so you can verify.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/vacuum-cleaners/index.html?refcd=GO033465s_Hoover&tsacr=GO441561742&gclid=CLOdoqaeo5ICFRkGagodpSPFQQ

Thank you for the Site.  I'll add it to my favorites for future reference on the Tempo.

Happy Easter.

Carmine D.

Carmine I went to the site.  Your excerpted quote does not say that the Tempo or any other vac outperfermed Dyson.  In fact it indicates that the Dyson is the top performer, just not by a significent margin.

I do understand that Dyson kicked your rump so hard that it caused brain damage.  Perhaps in your capacity as an insultant (or is that consultant) if you had not ignored Dyson your clients would not have booted you.

Motorhead

Reply #54   Mar 23, 2008 7:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HOOVER Tempo is constructed from high impact ABS thermoplastic and polypropylene.  What is dyson constructed from that makes it more superior.  

Carmine D.

Polycarbonate.
Motorhead

Reply #55   Mar 23, 2008 7:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Motor:

That incorrect information came from a paid advertisement on the blog site, *not* the Google search page like you said (which still shows no results).  Wrong again.

Perhaps in time there will possibly be one result if the Google bot crawlers find this page and see my previous comment

-MH
This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 46 - 55 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42