Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > I finally bought a new lightweight

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

I finally bought a new lightweight
Original Message   Feb 19, 2008 5:20 pm
After much discussion and pondering and the infamous Oreck XL21 thread.  I finally bought a lightweight vacuum for my home.  I set out this weekend with all intentions of buying an Oreck.  On Saturday the man at the Oreck Clean Home Center was very plesant, he let me handle and try everything on display. He came off the price and re-arranged the packages for me as well as offered factory refurbished and reconditioned trades to help meet my budget.

I left the Oreck store positive I was coming back, but I wanted to take a look a the Simplicity Freedom before I made the final decision.  I went to the Sewing Center/Vacuum shop we have done business with all my life; and which my mother has done business with for over 60 years.  Unfortunately the salesman must have been short on commission and long on inventory this month as he was only interested in my wallet and not my needs.

I began by telling him what I was interested in, an Oreck, or Freedom lightweight vacuum for quick clean ups and low pile carpet in the basement and kitchen. I further explained that I had a good high power vacuum I was happy with for normal cleaning and this would be a complement not a replacement.

He immediately started to run down my main machine (BAD FIRST MOVE--we are attached to each other).  So with this move he began showing me the me the Simplicity Synergy Tandem Air (Weighing in at approximately 22 lbs and a cost of $1,479 plus trade). He poured sand on the floor, he pulled water up a column from a colored fish bowl, he hooked up hoses to hose with a shop vac.  He did everything but show me the Freedom.

When he finally got finished with dog and pony show he explained how unhappy I would be with the Freedom because I was used to power and for approximately the same amount of the Freedom he could sell me the Synergy's little brother which isn't tandem air but still is more powerful than a tornado in an outhouse.

I stood firm that I came in looking for the Freedom, but now he pretty much talked me out of anything.  This is when he shot me the wonderful low price for the Freedom of $579, which with my loyalty discount he would drop to $479 and take another $50 off with the coupon in the paper today so now it's $429 and would give me a years supply of bags to boot. Well with that wonderful deal how did I walk away you ask?  By slipping on my coat, zipping my daughter's coat and walking to the car.

I did think it over and decided that the Oreck was high priced, and he did offer me a factory refurb for $299 and still had a decent warranty.  My decision was an Oreck Ultra.  Monday I was off to the Oreck store, but before I went I decided to stop by the Vacuum shop one of the church members just opened on the west side.  I felt I owed it to him to stop in and even if I bought the Oreck from him I was supporting a fellow Catholic.  It just so happened when I walked in I found he sold higher end vacuums.  Melie, Sebo, Lindenhaus were all lined up in the window.  I found he also sold the Riccar line.  I told him what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it.  He listened to me and brought out a Riccar RSL4. There was no pressure, no comparing to other machines, no running anything down or trying to move me up in price. I took it home for $299, a year's worth of bags and he carried it to the car for me.  I will do a review of the vac itself in the review section.  

I will say that the buying experience at the Oreck Clean Home Center and the Independent vac shop was very pleasant.  If everyone could experience this kind of service, no one would buy at Wal-Mart again.  It is so refreshing to see this kind of service still exists. The experience at the Sewing Center/Vac Shop ws worse than a four hour home demo from the Filter Queen gestopo.  I doubt I will be doing business there in the future.

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by Just
Replies: 1 - 65 of 65View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 65 of 65View as Thread
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42