Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > I finally bought a new lightweight

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

I finally bought a new lightweight
Original Message   Feb 19, 2008 5:20 pm
After much discussion and pondering and the infamous Oreck XL21 thread.  I finally bought a lightweight vacuum for my home.  I set out this weekend with all intentions of buying an Oreck.  On Saturday the man at the Oreck Clean Home Center was very plesant, he let me handle and try everything on display. He came off the price and re-arranged the packages for me as well as offered factory refurbished and reconditioned trades to help meet my budget.

I left the Oreck store positive I was coming back, but I wanted to take a look a the Simplicity Freedom before I made the final decision.  I went to the Sewing Center/Vacuum shop we have done business with all my life; and which my mother has done business with for over 60 years.  Unfortunately the salesman must have been short on commission and long on inventory this month as he was only interested in my wallet and not my needs.

I began by telling him what I was interested in, an Oreck, or Freedom lightweight vacuum for quick clean ups and low pile carpet in the basement and kitchen. I further explained that I had a good high power vacuum I was happy with for normal cleaning and this would be a complement not a replacement.

He immediately started to run down my main machine (BAD FIRST MOVE--we are attached to each other).  So with this move he began showing me the me the Simplicity Synergy Tandem Air (Weighing in at approximately 22 lbs and a cost of $1,479 plus trade). He poured sand on the floor, he pulled water up a column from a colored fish bowl, he hooked up hoses to hose with a shop vac.  He did everything but show me the Freedom.

When he finally got finished with dog and pony show he explained how unhappy I would be with the Freedom because I was used to power and for approximately the same amount of the Freedom he could sell me the Synergy's little brother which isn't tandem air but still is more powerful than a tornado in an outhouse.

I stood firm that I came in looking for the Freedom, but now he pretty much talked me out of anything.  This is when he shot me the wonderful low price for the Freedom of $579, which with my loyalty discount he would drop to $479 and take another $50 off with the coupon in the paper today so now it's $429 and would give me a years supply of bags to boot. Well with that wonderful deal how did I walk away you ask?  By slipping on my coat, zipping my daughter's coat and walking to the car.

I did think it over and decided that the Oreck was high priced, and he did offer me a factory refurb for $299 and still had a decent warranty.  My decision was an Oreck Ultra.  Monday I was off to the Oreck store, but before I went I decided to stop by the Vacuum shop one of the church members just opened on the west side.  I felt I owed it to him to stop in and even if I bought the Oreck from him I was supporting a fellow Catholic.  It just so happened when I walked in I found he sold higher end vacuums.  Melie, Sebo, Lindenhaus were all lined up in the window.  I found he also sold the Riccar line.  I told him what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it.  He listened to me and brought out a Riccar RSL4. There was no pressure, no comparing to other machines, no running anything down or trying to move me up in price. I took it home for $299, a year's worth of bags and he carried it to the car for me.  I will do a review of the vac itself in the review section.  

I will say that the buying experience at the Oreck Clean Home Center and the Independent vac shop was very pleasant.  If everyone could experience this kind of service, no one would buy at Wal-Mart again.  It is so refreshing to see this kind of service still exists. The experience at the Sewing Center/Vac Shop ws worse than a four hour home demo from the Filter Queen gestopo.  I doubt I will be doing business there in the future.

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by Just
Replies: 35 - 44 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: I finally bought a new lightweight
Reply #35   Mar 22, 2008 9:06 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Practice what you preach.  Dyson seems to get more positive reviews than anything that you recommend.  

I disagree with you and this statement.  HOOVER Tempo is rated the best for vacuums regardless of price [btw it retails for $50-$80] by consumers who buy and use vacuums and report the results on-line.  

More proof that quality is not determined by the vacuum's price and vice versa.  Refresh my memory.  What is it that you always say about dyson's high price and quality?  You get what you pay for?

Did you read the recent AMA study results?  Very interesting.  Shades of Japanese consumer mentality.  US consumers rated their meds effectiveness based on the price/cost.  The more expensive, the better the meds were rated for effectiveness.  In most cases, the least expensive pill rated the worse was the very same pill rated the best [if the price was more]. Do you think meds are like vacuums?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 22, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #36   Mar 22, 2008 4:28 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I disagree with you and this statement.  HOOVER Tempo is rated the best for vacuums regardless of price [btw it retails for $50-$80] by consumers who buy and use vacuums and report the results on-line.  

More proof that quality is not determined by the vacuum's price and vice versa.  Refresh my memory.  What is it that you always say about dyson's high price and quality?  You get what you pay for?

Did you read the recent AMA study results?  Very interesting.  Shades of Japanese consumer mentality.  US consumers rated their meds effectiveness based on the price/cost.  The more expensive, the better the meds were rated for effectiveness.  In most cases, the least expensive pill rated the worse was the very same pill rated the best [if the price was more]. Do you think meds are like vacuums?

Carmine D.

I am sure that you and CR rate the Tempo highly.  Since it blows dirt and dust around how do you vacuum all the hard surfaces in your home?  Do you just unplug it a nd push the dirt up then sweep up the pile.

The brush can't be turned off.  Do you just let it let the brush scrub while you use the hose.  Or does the hose have enough suction to be worthy of use?

I think that all medicines are over priced.         U.S. quality would be the worst possible if not for the Japanese.

CarmineD

Reply #37   Mar 22, 2008 5:32 pm
HS:

Choose any consumers' vacuum review page on any of the Web Sites including this one, you'll see the HOOVER Tempo is rated the highest.  If you find one Web Site that doesn't rate the HOOVER Tempo over all other vacuums, regardless of price, please post it here.  I haven't found one yet.

FYI, it doesn't have a brush shut off, but it has a barefloor adjustment just like dyson.  And a light.  And a full bag indicator.  Its made of the the same high impact ABS thermoplastic and polypropylene as all the dyson vacuums.  Has a one year unconditional guarantee that covers EVERYTHING.  Retails for $60 [the cost of the premotor and HEPA filters for a dyson vacuum].  Comes in bagged or bagless. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 22, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #38   Mar 22, 2008 6:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
FYI, it doesn't have a brush shut off, but it has a barefloor adjustment just like dyson.  And a light.  And a full bag indicator.  Its made of the the same high impact ABS thermoplastic and polypropylene as all the dyson vacuums.  Has a one year unconditional guarantee that covers EVERYTHING.  Retails for $60 [the cost of the premotor and HEPA filters for a dyson vacuum].  Comes in bagged or bagless. 

Carmine D.

I've been watching this and now I'm going to jump in and disagree with the statement you made.  What are you thinking?  The plastic on a Hoover Tempo is inferior to that of the Dyson, or even the new TTI Hoovers like the Mach 3 for that matter.  It is that same outdated "grainy" plastic that I just wish would go away once and for all, which finally seems to be happening now with the exception of cheap outdated machines from both Hoover and Eureka (read: Tempo/Windtunnel).  

I mentioned this before, but I stopped into a vac shop and a lady happened to bring in a Hoover Tempo for service, couldn't have been more than 6 months old.  The belt was stretched out.  She turned it on and it sounded horrible, not to mention the exhaust smelled like she hadn't ever changed the bag.  The nozzle hood was also cracked near the height adjustment.  So much for the high-impact ABS claim.  Sure, you can buy 6-8 Tempos for the price of a Dyson (depending on what model you're talking about), but I highly doubt the Tempo will last 10-15 years which you can easily get out of a Dyson provided the machine isn't abused.  Cheap vacuums like the Tempo may be popular where you are, but as they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.  REAL vacuums like the Dyson are popular elsewhere, regardless of whether you want to believe it. 

Remember word of mouth!  Your post prompted me to check out some more review pages, and in the process I found a forum thread discussing vacuum cleaners.  Notice some of the posts:  "Do people actually buy/pay attention to Consumer Reports magazine? In my exeprience (sic), the Hoover and Eureka stuff is laughable compared to Dyson; although the Eureka stuff is usually pretty inexpensive." "Bought the Hoover based on Consumer Reports. Terrible.  Dyson is very very good."

Here's another comment coming from a blog page:  "My favorite Dyson story: as recommended by a friend who had one, I vacuumed the hell out of my living room with my old vacuum (a two year old Hoover), then ran the Dyson over the same area. Filled up the Dyson's cannister a quarter of the way through the room, the contents of which included the very distinctive hair from one of our cats that had died 5 years before. Eww and stuff."

Enough said.  By the way, sorry for the Dyson undertone on the pages, but I couldn't find anything that says "I want a Hoover Tempo!"

-MH
This message was modified Mar 22, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #39   Mar 22, 2008 7:48 pm
Motorhead,

Is it true that HOOVER sold 4 Million new HOOVER Tempos in 2007 and has total Tempo sales of 25 M. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #40   Mar 22, 2008 8:24 pm
Motorhead wrote:
The plastic on a Hoover Tempo is inferior to that of the Dyson, or even the new TTI Hoovers like the Mach 3 for that matter.  -MH

HOOVER Tempo is constructed from high impact ABS thermoplastic and polypropylene.  What is dyson constructed from that makes it more superior.  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #41   Mar 22, 2008 10:09 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Motorhead,

Is it true that HOOVER sold 4 Million new HOOVER Tempos in 2007 and has total Tempo sales of 25 M. 

Carmine D.

It could be true.  There is a fool born every day.  At least there was the day you were born.  Those disposable Hoovers last a few months and the foolish buyers replace with another.

The big box stores allow 30 to 90 days for returns/exchanges.  I am betting that Hoover counts the replacemnt as a sale.  No wonder so many units are moved.

You are more fun than a circus clown Carmine.  Please direct me to a site that real users rate the Dyson as inferior to Hoover.

Just in case you have not received the word.  Sales volumes are not related to performance or quality,

Dyson brush can be disengaged and the hose has owerful suction.

CarmineD

Reply #42   Mar 23, 2008 7:49 am
HARDSELL:

This came from the side banner on this page.  The score for the HOOVER Tempo based on 640 reviews is 100 percent [twice as high as the best ratings received for all the dysons rated, DC07, 14, 15, 17, 18].    The DC07 has about 600 reviews.  Very comparable.

Happy Easter: 

http://www.smartguider.com/Vacuum+Cleaner/subClassesGuide.html?coreProductTypeId=63&productTypeFilter=filter&guideId=1507&gclid=COSAh7-Vo5ICFRkGagodpSPFQQ

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #43   Mar 23, 2008 8:35 am
Motor:

I went to just one of the Web Sites with vacuum ratings that is listed in your post under the search "I want a HOOVER Tempo." [You posted it].

It rates the HOOVER Tempo above the dyson DC17.  Here is a direct quote I excerpted:

Luxury bagless vacuum.

"Dyson vacuums get the most attention in reviews, but in measured testing, Dyson doesn't significantly outperform others when it comes to cleaning carpet and bare floors."

Here is the Web Site so you can verify.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/vacuum-cleaners/index.html?refcd=GO033465s_Hoover&tsacr=GO441561742&gclid=CLOdoqaeo5ICFRkGagodpSPFQQ

Thank you for the Site.  I'll add it to my favorites for future reference on the Tempo.

Happy Easter.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #44   Mar 23, 2008 9:00 am
HS, Motor:

Not that I'm the least bit surprised by your and Motor's responses.  It's the same old dyson drivel I've listened to for 6 years.  I'm immune to it. 

You and Motor both bring up the issue of the high recommendations given by dyson users vice all other brands.  Word of mouth etc. 

When confronted with evidence to the contrary in Web Sites and on-line opinions, you both impugn the results calling the non-dyson buyers/users fools, cheapskates, [the one I like the most] Communists and not representative of nationwide consumers.  Really?  Is this rational?

What makes you and Motor so angry and irritable about the HOOVER Tempo ratings and their clear superiority over all the dysons based on these on-line reviews.  Is it that you think these raters are really all wrong, since they disagree with you and your blind fondness for dyson?  Or you fear they may actually be right?

Carmine D.

Replies: 35 - 44 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42