Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 43 - 52 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #43   Jan 20, 2008 1:53 pm
Venson wrote:
Carmine,

Is it my imagination or has low clearance height in regard to upright vacuums become a none-issue for selling them? 

Venson

Hello Venson:

Yes, to a degree.  In part, due to on-board tools on uprights which are a relatively recent development for the upright vacuum industry.  HOOVER Dial started in the early 60's.  But by and large other makers were later.  The 80's.  And its spawned a new venue of daily users: The lites, nanos, etc.  The Regina Electrikbroom was very popular for decades in large part because users found them quick and easy to use in the hard to get out-of-sight places. Oreck and RICCAR-Simplicity catered to these customers cleaning needs for years and now too the lightweights both bagged and bagless. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #44   Jan 20, 2008 1:55 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Guy's

I have a question,what is the benefit to the customer,if the machine uses the digital motor,do you really think the customer cares?The reason i say this is because MIELE touts it's vortec motor,it's a single fan carbons mounted on the top instead of the bottom with the conical fan,does the consumer really care?.The d.d.m has to be controlled by a computor like rexairs . I would not even venture to quess what the computor cost is and they have been known to fail,The regular e series motor replacement is over 425.00.

God knows how much a motor and computor board change would cost.But i would think a 20.00 carbon brush replacement is a lot more friendly to the customer.

This industry is overteching itself...........It's to the point of insanity.............

MOLE

Mole:

I agree with you.  Hi-tech motors are transparent to end users.  They can care less.  What's important to them is less weight, good performace, easy to use and store, and now most especially PRICE. 

Carmine D. 

Venson

Reply #45   Jan 20, 2008 2:09 pm
Hi Mole,

If digital motor technology could produce beneficial effects by way of increased power, less unit weight, increased dust capacity or lower and simplify repair matters (meaning consumer executable motor changes) I'd say yes the public would be very interested.  Are we talking the same Dyson motor that is also said to be of lesser size?  Anyway . . .

The idea of a "motor module" was pushed some time in the last century by Shetland Lewyt but did appear to gain much interest and Shetland Lewyt, I think, was just about dead in the water by the 1980's.  In any event the idea of an affordable motor/fan unit that could be ordered online or by phone call and then simply be dropped into your vacuum and locked in much the same as you'd pop in a circuit board or RAM chips into your computer would be great.  Too great I think.  I don't think established service suppliers would appreciate it much.

Miele's motor design is interesting and I think a good pitch point but as always, price can soon kill interest in innovation.

Venson

Trilobite

Reply #46   Jan 20, 2008 5:05 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Mole,

If digital motor technology could produce beneficial effects by way of increased power, less unit weight, increased dust capacity or lower and simplify repair matters (meaning consumer executable motor changes) I'd say yes the public would be very interested.  Are we talking the same Dyson motor that is also said to be of lesser size?  Anyway . . .

The idea of a "motor module" was pushed some time in the last century by Shetland Lewyt but did appear to gain much interest and Shetland Lewyt, I think, was just about dead in the water by the 1980's.  In any event the idea of an affordable motor/fan unit that could be ordered online or by phone call and then simply be dropped into your vacuum and locked in much the same as you'd pop in a circuit board or RAM chips into your computer would be great.  Too great I think.  I don't think established service suppliers would appreciate it much.

Miele's motor design is interesting and I think a good pitch point but as always, price can soon kill interest in innovation.

Venson

The Dyson Digital Motor can apparently produce a third more suction power than a conventional motor. The new motor is very small in comparison to a conventional one. The Digital motor is supposedly more robust than a standard motor; carbon brushes and armatures being, supposedly, the reason for most failures.

It could be said that Nilfisk have a drop-in motor on their GS80 series machines: motor drops in, locks into place, plug in the flex, and away we go!

As for Miele's motor, I think it is just another variation on what has gone before. Most motors that I have seen have had the fan(s), then the armature, then the carbon brushes.  The carbon brushes would get the heat in this arrangement.

Miele has the fan(s), brushes, then the armature. The carbon brushes run cooler in this arrangement.

However, the Hoover 'Powerglide' S4256 cylinder that I once owned, I'm sure had a reverse positioning of the fans to the motor: carbon brushes, armature, then the fans. The filtered air was sucked over the brushes, over the armature and expelled from the fans. This was quite a noisy cleaner.

Venson

Reply #47   Jan 20, 2008 5:43 pm
Yes Trilobite,

The Nilfisk GS 80 still has an easily removable motor unit as well as some other new models meant for office use. That idea goes back years and years with Nilfisk but I did not bring it up because I didn't want to wear the name out all in one day.  The Shetland Lewyt I mentioned was the more commonly known here. SL came to develop two or three "modular" canister vacuums that were intended to be easily repairable by the owner.  Shetland-Lewyt was sold by SCM to a Canadian concern around 1972 per what I've gleaned from the web.

Nonetheless, a smaller than usual, high performing digital vacuum motor that could be easily removed and replaced is not a bad idea If affordable.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #48   Jan 21, 2008 7:14 am
Venson wrote:
Carmine,

Is it my imagination or has low clearance height in regard to upright vacuums become a none-issue for selling them? 

Venson

Hello Venson:

I think there is another major factor at play too for the trend away from low clearance for under furniture and bed vacuuming.

In the first half of the 20th century, USA households were usually one vacuum only, due to the cost and the longevity.  Upright/tank/canister.  The one vacuum household changed in the 60's when vacuums began cheapening.  More households had an upright and a tank/canister vacuum for cleaning and the trend has continued.  Households now have a plethora of floor care appliances for all household cleaning chores.  Hence, the need for vacuum makers to solve all the users' cleaning problems in one/another vacuum whether tank-canister and/or upright is not as important anymore.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #49   Jan 21, 2008 8:58 am
Trilobite wrote:
The Dyson Digital Motor can apparently produce a third more suction power than a conventional motor. The new motor is very small in comparison to a conventional one. The Digital motor is supposedly more robust than a standard motor; carbon brushes and armatures being, supposedly, the reason for most failures.

Speaking just from the US perspective:  Dyson convinced itself that the increased air watts in the DC07 at the expense of a wimpy brush roll would excel its rug cleaning performance over all other conventional uprights on the market which used standard brush rolls.  He even convinced supposed industry experts that his was an improvement.  They believed him at first.  We saw and know the results.  Dyson has been on a campaign since the DC07 to revamp the air watts downward and improve the brush roll.  Still hasn't gotten there yet after 5 plus years IMHO.  And that of Consumer Reports.

The DDM may be stronger and last longer, TIME WILL TELL not words.  However, if the vacuum doesn't have equally good components comparable TO THE LESS EXPENSIVE COMPETITION, like a decent brush roll and rug adjustments, jaydee will have a reputation in industry for being a brilliant inventor who can't tie his own shoes.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #50   Jan 21, 2008 9:35 am
Hi Carmine,I totally agree with you, Even dyson is catching on to the total package,The newer 18 series are being hailed by the dyson experts as much better cleaners than their older cousins.

Their cleaning[sweeping capabilitys are on par with a hoover convetible.......

As one of the real vacuum gurus said,[STAN].as long as the machine pulls the dirt and debris into the bag,everything else is just for hype and advertising purpose.Lets face the facts that the dyson cleaners are just overhyped,cheap molded plastic,left over fantoms.

MOLE

Motorhead

Reply #51   Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
So does the Dyson DC25 use Core Seperation?  If not, why?  And furthermore, what's with the design of the motorhead; it looks like it has a dual brushroll set-up going on.  Also, isn't the DC24 a bit of a redundancy, especially next to the DC18?  Overall, not bad for a heavily redesigned DC15, however, I would also like to see the DC17 brushroll, Level 3/Core Seperation, and possibly the DDM on a Dyson Ball model one of these days.  But for now, I will be sticking with my DC18.

Update:  I just read on a retailers site that the DC25 only weight 12 pounds; very impressive.  It is listed as a pre-order item only for $499, and they say it will ship in mid-March....Basically, the DC18 has nothing that stands out.

Hi iMacDaddy,

GREAT post, you hit the nail right on the head and I agree 100%.  Aggressive brushroll, Level 3, and the DDM...it would be as close to perfect as one can get.  The DC24 is neat, but I think for now I'll stick with my DC21 and wait for a better machine.  BTW I don't think the DC25 has a dual-brushroll setup, that's just the way the nozzle looks but it had me confused for a second as well.  The DC24's nozzle looks the same, from one side.  I could tell from the picture on the other side it was normal; the asymmetrical shape may have something to do with where the motor/gearbox is positioned.

In regards to low clearance height, blindly vacuuming under beds is asking for trouble.  To me it seems that a canister is better suited to that.  I can get on the floor with the power nozzle of my DC21 (which is fairly low-profile, but the next Motorhead will be even better in that regard), go all the way under the bed without a problem, and the machine actually picks up quite a bit.  It also lets me LOOK to see if there's anything that could damage the machine under there...usually there isn't but one can never be too safe.  I've found that with uprights, since the handle is fully pivoted (and most of them don't lie 100% flat without raising the nozzle slightly), they don't seem to seal to the rug as well under the bed than a canister's power nozzle would.  That's just my opinion.

-MH
This message was modified Jan 21, 2008 by Motorhead
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #52   Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm
I don't think either DC24 or DC25 have dual brush bars, for one the website would mention this in the spec.  The cleaning nozzles on these machines look simiular to the new motor head on the DC22 Japan model.  It looks like a second brush bar but probably where the motor is to power it.  If anyone has noticed both models have one long brush bar centre suction channel and looks like it is powered from one end (like the sebo vacs to mention one!).  From the pictures so far there is no where that covers part of the brush bar for the belt/gear that connects to the motor (like the DC15 and DC18).  I could be wrong!?

I don't think the DC24 will replace the DC18 Slim, the DC24 is more compact in size/height/weight making it easier to storage for people with limited space.  I don't think the wattgae of the DC24's motor is the same as the DC18 and DC25 which is 1200 watts although it gives the same performance of these full size models!  One thing which is a vast improvement is the cleaning head much lower profile than the DC15, probably lower than the DC18 too!  I wonder if the metal soleplate off the DC15 is on both of these!?  One advantage of the slim is the slims narrow body, so the cleaning head 'sticks out' either side of the body. This making it easy to cleaning along walls with radiators or 'kick boards' in the kitchen.  Although from pictures of the DC24 and DC25 the cleaning head is protuding slightly unlike the DC15.

I would have like to have seem at least on the DC25 the DDM and the Level 3 Cyclone technology but as is mentioned on this post that would have pushed the price up.  Both these models are very well priced from what I have seem on the UK Dyson Web.   The DC25 comes in at the same as the basic DC18 (UK) model.  Plus both these new models have standard HEPA filters which is a first for the UK.  Usually HEPA filters are fitted on higher spec Dyson models in the same range.  

I agree with iMacDaddy no one blindly cleans under furniture/beds, but I have mentioned in the past Dyson has never come back with anything to replace/match the slim profile of the DC03.  That is one model that would have benifitted from the DDM! Like the DC18 slim was a much needed model to the line up so are the 2 newcomers DC24 and DC25.  I can't wait to see both these 2 models myself!  Quite like the small DC24!

Thanks DIB for posting this picture, certainly does give a idea of the size of the DC24!

DC18

Replies: 43 - 52 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42