Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 33 - 42 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Trilobite

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #33   Jan 19, 2008 6:16 pm
There was a bagless cleaner sold via the "Innovations" Catalogue in 1988/89 (small technology catalogue, normally enclosed with the weekend papers).

I think this machine had the dry-powder cleaning function. It was rather expensive, about double that of the Hoovers and Electroluxes at the time.

The trouble is, I cannot remember if it was sold as  "Dyson" or if it was one of those "Iona" imported cleaners. (I believe some were imported, am I correct?)

CarmineD

Reply #34   Jan 19, 2008 6:47 pm
Baby dyson ball won't get under furniture, beds, sofa, and cushion chairs.  Not with that huge monstrosity of a ball wheel.  Ditch the ball wheel, make the dirt bin larger, put some rear wheels on the power head, drop the price by half, and it will sell a million units in the first year in the USA.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #35   Jan 19, 2008 7:08 pm
Trilobite wrote:
There was a bagless cleaner sold via the "Innovations" Catalogue in 1988/89 (small technology catalogue, normally enclosed with the weekend papers).

I think this machine had the dry-powder cleaning function. It was rather expensive, about double that of the Hoovers and Electroluxes at the time.

The trouble is, I cannot remember if it was sold as  "Dyson" or if it was one of those "Iona" imported cleaners. (I believe some were imported, am I correct?)

I remember those.  Here it was sold as the NovaDry, and then later the Capture Drytech machine.  One of the things I found interesting about these was that the instructions said that it was not to be used as a regular vacuum cleaner.  This was because the suction inlet/ducting was a small diameter...it could handle the dry powder (and the debris within) but not larger dirt.  I found this out later.

-MH
Motorhead

Reply #36   Jan 19, 2008 7:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Baby dyson ball won't get under furniture, beds, sofa, and cushion chairs.  Not with that huge monstrosity of a ball wheel.  Ditch the ball wheel, make the dirt bin larger, put some rear wheels on the power head, drop the price by half, and it will sell a million units in the first year in the USA.

Carmine D.

Hi DIB,

Again, great information.  This picture clearly shows the small size of the machine; I couldn't really tell from watching the Gizmodo video or looking at the website.  Very neat, the more I see it the more I want one.  If it had the DDM I'd spring for one in a split-second. 

Hi Carmine,

The reason for the large ball wheel is probably because that the motor is contained within (and the motor's large size).  The reason the Slim has a smaller ball, I believe, is that the motor is mounted differently.  One way they *could* possibly make the ball smaller on the DC24 is to put a DDM in it.  I understand the DDM is smaller and since it turns at such a high speed, it does not need to have a large fan.  Since it's a small machine it would be the perfect candidate for the DDM.  Then again, that's just my wishful thinking for a DDM-equipped US machine taking over ;-)

-MH
This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by Motorhead
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #37   Jan 20, 2008 3:28 am
So does the Dyson DC25 use Core Seperation?  If not, why?  And furthermore, what's with the design of the motorhead; it looks like it has a dual brushroll set-up going on.  Also, isn't the DC24 a bit of a redundancy, especially next to the DC18?  Overall, not bad for a heavily redesigned DC15, however, I would also like to see the DC17 brushroll, Level 3/Core Seperation, and possibly the DDM on a Dyson Ball model one of these days.  But for now, I will be sticking with my DC18.

Update:  I just read on a retailers site that the DC25 only weight 12 pounds; very impressive.  It is listed as a pre-order item only for $499, and they say it will ship in mid-March....Basically, the DC18 has nothing that stands out.
This message was modified Jan 20, 2008 by iMacDaddy
CarmineD

Reply #38   Jan 20, 2008 7:14 am
Motorhead wrote:

The reason for the large ball wheel is probably because that the motor is contained within (and the motor's large size).  The reason the Slim has a smaller ball, I believe, is that the motor is mounted differently. 
-MH

Probably so.  For a lightweight supposedly quick and easy daily user, the huge monster mounted ball wheel defeats the baby dyson ball purpose.  It limits the vacuum's usage rather than increasing it which is the purpose of the ball: More manueverability.  Not under the bed, furniture and low cushionn chairs.  User still has to move the furniture out of the way to clean underneath.  I'd use the $35 HOOVER Cordless Slider and/or Oreck Classic. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2008 by CarmineD
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #39   Jan 20, 2008 8:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
Probably so.  For a lightweight supposedly quick and easy daily user, the huge monster mounted ball wheel defeats the baby dyson ball purpose.  It limits the vacuum's usage rather than increasing it which is the purpose of the ball: More manueverability.  Not under the bed, furniture and low cushionn chairs.  User still has to move the furniture out of the way to clean underneath.  I'd use the $35 HOOVER Cordless Slider and/or Oreck Classic. 

Carmine D.

I really don't think people vacuum blindly under furniture/beds blindly; there is always rubbish like coins, socks, small toys, or other large debris than can cause serious damage to your machine.  I would seriously think that people who operate $300-$600 vacuum cleaners would be more mindful of that than someone who could care less about maintaining a working vacuum cleaner and regularly cycle through $50 bargain vacs.  I always move my furniture/beds before vacuuming the carpet under them, or get down and inspect the floor underneath with the cleaning wand in hand to clean under those hard to reach areas.  As long as the Dyson Ball vacs have that low profile motorhead that can roll under extruded kitchen/bathroom cabinets, I could care less if I can't blindly ram it under a couch or a bed, because IMO, that's asking for trouble.
CarmineD

Reply #40   Jan 20, 2008 9:10 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
I really don't think people vacuum blindly under furniture/beds blindly; there is always rubbish like coins, socks, small toys, or other large debris than can cause serious damage to your machine. 

Different strokes for different folks.

I have a English yellow lab who sheds year round.  And a dear Wife who has sinus and allergy issues year round.  Our bedrooms are carpetted.  The lab's hair gets under the bed and bedroom furniture daily.  I wouldn't want to move the bed and bedroom furniture weekly to vacuum up the hair and dust.  Like most, there are books, TV and radios, clocks, clothes, portraits and jewelry weighing down the pieces.  Hair and dust [did I mention I live in the desert] always gather in the nooks and crannies up close to the base board and wall near the bed and furniture and around the legs.  I wouldn't want to move the bed and furniture out weekly to use a $500-$600 upright vacuum to clean underneath.  I don't have the time.  Let alone my dear Wife who spends most her time with our 2 grand daughters [and another on the way].

Instead, I use the $35 HOOVER Slider [weighs 2-3 pounds with a revolving brush roll and no cord] /$150 Oreck [weighs 8 pounds] AT LEAST once a week to get the dog hair and dust that inevitably accumulates under the beds and furniture.  And throughout the year, usually seasonally, I'll move the matress and bed and bedroom furniture to do more thorough cleaning.  In part to make sure there are no big and little items under there so I can continue to do my weekly vacuuming in these out of sight places. 

My dear Wife uses the Slider and Oreck for the same reasons.  And she loathes vacuuming with a passion.  If she had to move the furniture and bed to vacuum under with the $400 dyson DC07 pink, she wouldn't.  She can't.  She uses the Slider to vacuum the lab hair on the beds' comforters [our lab has the run of the house and likes to sleep alot on the beds.  She's old like me].  CAn't do that with the baby dyson ball.  Slider works very well.   My dear Wife loves me in part for these vacuums.  Makes her life much easier.  And mine too.  Happy Wife, happy life.

I guess that's why they call it a "Slider."  And not a slammer, ball, and/or rammer.  And they call the Oreck: Simply Amazing!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #41   Jan 20, 2008 11:41 am
Carmine,

Is it my imagination or has low clearance height in regard to upright vacuums become a none-issue for selling them? 

Venson

mole

Reply #42   Jan 20, 2008 12:58 pm
Hi Guy's

I have a question,what is the benefit to the customer,if the machine uses the digital motor,do you really think the customer cares?The reason i say this is because MIELE touts it's vortec motor,it's a single fan carbons mounted on the top instead of the bottom with the conical fan,does the consumer really care?.The d.d.m has to be controlled by a computor like rexairs . I would not even venture to quess what the computor cost is and they have been known to fail,The regular e series motor replacement is over 425.00.

God knows how much a motor and computor board change would cost.But i would think a 20.00 carbon brush replacement is a lot more friendly to the customer.

This industry is overteching itself...........It's to the point of insanity.............

MOLE

Replies: 33 - 42 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42