Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 53 - 62 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #53   Jan 21, 2008 3:51 pm
Motorhead wrote:
In regards to low clearance height, blindly vacuuming under beds is asking for trouble.  -MH

There's a simple solution whether its using a low profile upright like Oreck, a cordless HOOVER Slider, and/or a wand and hose from a canister vacuum.  Look under the bed and/or furniture before vacuuming.  Preferably in the daytime with your eyes open.  You can see for miles as the saying goes.  And, if there is anything that shouldn't be picked up by the vacuum, like toys, socks etc, or the dyson case that was reported by the hotline 10 twenty pound notes [that clogged the dyson hose] remove them before vacuuming.  Simple. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 21, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #54   Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm
Hi Carmine,

True, yes, but from my experience with the Oreck it didn't seem to do well when the handle was all the way down.  When I vacuum under the beds I want the machine to do as good a job as it would if I was vacuuming carpet in open areas.

Regarding Mole and Venson's comments about the switched-reluctance (SR) motor technology.  The reason SR motors will be more desirable, I understand, is that they can withstand being run for long periods of time (if not indefinitely) due to the lack of a commutator and carbon brushes.  And because of the lack of a commutator and brushes they are also capable of much higher speeds than standard universal motors.  We all know the SR "Hurricane" motor in the Rainbow E-series is designed to be run on low speed 24/7 to clean the air; for vacuuming the hose is connected and the machine switched to high speed.  We haven't come this far yet, unfortunately, but I predict that one day magnetic bearings (where the only moving part is the motor shaft, being held in place by the magnetic field) will be added to this technology, making the SR motor virtually indestructible.  I am *not* in the business myself, but from talking with people who *are* in the industry I have not heard of any instances of motor/board failures in the E-series, yet.

Hi DC18, I was thinking the same thing about the nozzle, it threw me off for a minute because the powerhead motor in my DC21 is mounted above the nozzle.
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #55   Jan 21, 2008 5:07 pm
Hi Motorhead

Yeah the pictures of these new models are deceiving!  Another thing I've noticed is that it doesn't look like the cleaning heads are detachable like the DC18 Slim!  Also the cleaning head only has one pivot point (excluding the pivoting point where the nozzle is attached to the main part of the machine) unlike the DC15 and other models DC14, DC07 etc...

Looking at the Gizmodo vid again the DC24 looks very flexible and easy to steer and move about!  Looks like another new change over valve is used to switch from floor to tool!

DC18

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #56   Jan 21, 2008 5:46 pm
I have been looking up the specs of both machines, and I have been curious about several things. First off, the DC25 USA and UK counterparts share the same air watt rating of 220, however, the USA DC24 has only 110 AW in comparison to the UK DC24 AW rating of 220.

Also, the clear bin on the DC25 looks to be about the same size as the clear bin on the DC18, however according to the specs, the DC25 only holds .34 gallons of debris, less than the DC18's .44 gallon capacity. Has Dyson done something inside the canister to take up some space, I.E. - widen the center chute to squeeze in some sort of inner core separator cyclone? This could be the case, but it seems they won't go as far as to point it out on the Dyson online store; in the UK online store, the DC22 that DOES have Core Separation Technology is only said to have Root Cyclone, with a detailed image of a regular Root Cyclone assembly to accompany it.

And aside from that, why is Dyson keeping the Level 3 tech exclusive to the DC17? I mean, how hard is it to slap on the DC17 clear bin onto a DC25? Perhaps the Level 3 assemble would have added extra weight, and they decided against that (the DC17 is a 33 lb. machine after all).
This message was modified Jan 21, 2008 by iMacDaddy
Motorhead

Reply #57   Jan 21, 2008 6:05 pm
Dyson definitely needs to start expanding their Core Separation line in order to stay ahead of the game.  The Root Cyclone technology is still very good, and has brought them to where they are now, but it's not the end.  I'm hoping they bring the DC22 here and give it the DDM and an electric power nozzle...we would then have both an upright and canister with the Level 3 system.  Until I looked at the Dyson UK website, I had no idea that they did not have any other Level 3 machines, and that the DC22 "Baby" was the first; however, that does make sense as I remember the DC17 was designed primarily to clean thick American carpets. 

-MH
This message was modified Jan 21, 2008 by Motorhead
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #58   Jan 21, 2008 6:20 pm
The DC24 on the UK website has been changed to AW120, I'm sure I saw it originally at AW220 to start with.  On the UK Dyson web the bin capacity is 1.4 litres for the DC25 (0.85 litres for the DC24) compared with 1.7 litres for the DC18 Slim.  Although the bin capacity for the DC25 is smaller to the DC18 it looks wider looking at web pictures with the shroud filter bigger on the DC25.   I can not see any core cyclone technology being on the DC24 and DC25!  Both use root 6 - DC24 and root 8 DC25 for a guess!

The Core (level 3) is not exclusive to the DC17 as the DC22 in Japan and the DC22 Baby (UK) both have this technology as well although the Dyson UK web does not say it does for some reason!  A UK catalogue retailor features the DC22 Baby and mentions the core technology.   Putting this technology on thse 2 models may have increased weight plus Dyson may not have developed a scaled down version of this technlogy as yet!  No reason why it can not be achieved!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #59   Jan 21, 2008 6:57 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Carmine,

True, yes, but from my experience with the Oreck it didn't seem to do well when the handle was all the way down.  When I vacuum under the beds I want the machine to do as good a job as it would if I was vacuuming carpet in open areas.

Mine works perfectly for both.  Maybe its the handle grip on mine.  I have the old conventional grip that goes all the way down to floor/rug.  In the complete prone position, for under bed vacuuming, the Oreck is on the same level from the rug nozzle to handle grip.  Perhaps, this would not be the case with the ergonomic loop grip.  I don't know since I haven't used it. 

Carmine D. 

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #60   Jan 21, 2008 10:00 pm
DC18 wrote:
Dyson may not have developed a scaled down version of this technlogy as yet!  No reason why it can not be achieved!

It appears they already have with the DC22; look at how small the entire machine is compared to the DC21 (with the cyclones twice as small). I don't see why they can't design a collection bin based on the DC22 bin for an upright, that is slightly taller, with fewer cyclones. I really don't think Core Separation needs a DDM, especially if it will work with a 200AW DC22 canister and a 220AW DC17 upright with standard motors.

On a side note, does anyone know if a Japanese appliance (I.E. Dyson DC22 DDM Motorhead) will work with American outlets?
This message was modified Jan 21, 2008 by iMacDaddy
Motorhead

Reply #61   Jan 21, 2008 10:38 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
It appears they already have with the DC22; look at how small the entire machine is compared to the DC21 (with the cyclones twice as small). I don't see why they can't design a collection bin based on the DC22 bin for an upright, that is slightly taller, with fewer cyclones. I really don't think Core Separation needs a DDM, especially if it will work with a 200AW DC22 canister and a 220AW DC17 upright with standard motors.

On a side note, does anyone know if a Japanese appliance (I.E. Dyson DC22 DDM Motorhead) will work with American outlets?

Not unless you use a step-down transformer; the voltage in Japan is only 100 volts.  I know a higher voltage will ruin the DDM's control board and possibly take out other components with it...
Venson

Reply #62   Jan 22, 2008 8:10 am
Hi all,

Can't say that I buy into it but here's Lord D's spin on things:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/18/ndyson118.xml

Best,

Venson

Replies: 53 - 62 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42