Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928 Engine Surging Between Loads

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MN_Runner

Honda HS928 Engine Surging Between Loads
Original Message   Feb 1, 2011 7:20 pm
Given Situation: Engine has been fully warmed up and the throttle is set to fast.   

Scenario: My Honda snowblower surges when it comes out of the load.  If I blow the snow with the throttle at either low or medium speed then the engine does not surge when the load is light but when the throttle is set to fast, the engine will surge when the load is low or minimum.  As soon as it gets a full load, no surging.   I took the blower to the dealer today (since no snow for few days and the wait is not too long) as I felt this was not right.  I had this problem since it was brand new in Dec 2010.  I will let you know what the fix is or if this is normal.  Any similar experiences from Honda snowblower owners?

Replies: 33 - 40 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Jake08

Re: Honda HS928 Engine Surging Between Loads
Reply #33   Feb 5, 2011 10:30 am
borat wrote:
If and when I bring my vehicles (don't do cars/trucks) to a repair shop for maintenance such as timing belt and pulleys, I advise them that I want to see the old parts before I pay the bill. 

Would you know it came off your car/truck or from a box of old crap they keep in the back for people who ask to see the "old parts"?  If they slapped some timing belt on the counter, pretty sure I wouldn't know if it came off my car or  some other vehicle.
MN_Runner

Reply #34   Feb 5, 2011 10:38 am
Borat is a smart man.  He would mark the timing belt before he goes to the dealer so he can verified that it was changed. 
Paul7

Reply #35   Feb 5, 2011 11:54 am
MN_Runner wrote:
Borat is a smart man.  He would mark the timing belt before he goes to the dealer so he can verified that it was changed. 

A few years ago "60 Minutes", I believe, did an undercover type show on auto repair shops.  If I recall they purposefully made a minor elementary mis-adjustment to the engine...and they did secretly mark parts, and had a young women take the car in.  Only like one shop out of ten said that it was just a simple adjustment.  The rest quickly did the adjustment but then went on to replace, or claim to replace, all kinds of things.  Struts, calipers, rotors, seals, exhausts, and other gismos. 

You might recall that Sears Auto paid a 20 million dollar fine to settle state filed fraud charges. 
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Paul7
Shryp

Reply #36   Feb 5, 2011 12:09 pm
Paul7 wrote:
A few years ago "60 Minutes", I believe, did an undercover type show on auto repair shops.  If I recall they purposefully made a minor elementary mis-adjustment to the engine...and they did secretly mark parts, and had a young women take the car in.  Only like one shop out of ten said that it was just a simple adjustment.  The rest quickly did the adjustment but then went on to replace, or claim to replace, all kinds of things.  Struts, calipers, rotors, seals, exhausts, and other gismos. 

You might recall that Sears Auto paid a 20 million dollar fine to settle state filed fraud charges. 

There are a lot of videos about that on youtube.  I think it was Jiffy Lube and a lot of places like that.  They did the same thing with computers too.  Disconnected the cable between the motherboard and hard drive and took them in to places to be fixed.
MN_Runner

Reply #37   Feb 5, 2011 12:24 pm
OPE or Auto are not the only place people get taken. There are a lot of organized churches (any form of organized religion) which can take people for a ride.  There are many churches that are there truly to serve and help.  OPE and auto dealers are the same, there are honest and dishonest people just like anywhere in our society.

After the carburetor replacement, my engine runs much smoother and quieter.  So it was a good fix whether the dealer used a $2 part or $50 part.  Replacing a jet inside the carburetor is just as much as work (maybe more) then simply replacing the carb.

borat

Reply #38   Feb 5, 2011 12:52 pm
"Replacing a jet inside the carburetor is just as much as work (maybe more) then simply replacing the carb."

Not necessarily. 

On most OPE engines, all you need to do is pull the float bowl, unscrew the main jet and replace with another.  To remove the carb, you have to disconnect the throttle linkage, and governor linkage.  Then you need to remove the bolts/nuts that attach the carb to the engine.  Often that requires, cowling to be removed to get at the screws and linkages.  From my experience, with the machine in it's maintenance position, a jet change is relatively easy.  

friiy

Reply #39   Feb 5, 2011 11:49 pm
My guess is the low speed jet was plugged,  the only thing you have to do to change that is unscrew the Low speed throttle stop then pop out the plastic jet that sits under it . 

You know which one Borat---  the  plastic one that has the o-ring on it that snaps in verticaly from the top of the  carb.   In the shop,  I saw sometimes the carb body chips off a piece of the o-ring and plugs the jet when it is installed without a fuel system type lube like petro jelly or STP   (Don't laugh---  great lube for fuel components during assembly, melts off after install)...

Friiy

tkrotchko

I figured out why my 1132 was surging at the end
Reply #40   Feb 6, 2011 12:13 pm
friiy wrote:
My guess is the low speed jet was plugged,  the only thing you have to do to change that is unscrew the Low speed throttle stop then pop out the plastic jet that sits under it . 

You know which one Borat---  the  plastic one that has the o-ring on it that snaps in verticaly from the top of the  carb.   In the shop,  I saw sometimes the carb body chips off a piece of the o-ring and plugs the jet when it is installed without a fuel system type lube like petro jelly or STP   (Don't laugh---  great lube for fuel components during assembly, melts off after install)...

Friiy

I was doing lots of maintenance on about 4 or 5 of my OPE engines, and I looked in the tank of the Honda and the fuel pickup at the bottom is poking out of the gas. I'll have to try it again if we get another storm in the next 4 weeks (Winter is closer to the end than the beginning here), but I'll bet that's it.
Replies: 33 - 40 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42