Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lseap107

Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 9:57 am
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better.  I think if I could get a Subaru motor on a larger size Ariens, I would still consider one but they only offer it on the smaller compact model.  Anyway, I can't make up my mind on a tracked model or wheeled model honda.  I live in Wisconsin and have a 3 car wide driveway and sidewalk to do.  Will the tracked unit clear down to the cement or do I have to shovel the little bit it leaves behind after blowing?  Also, would I be able to turn 180 degrees when I get to the end of my sidewalk with the tracked unit or would I have to make my turn in the driveway because I may need more room to make a turn on about a 4 foot wide sidewalk?  Probably still have to do that with a wheeled unit anyway.  I've head a few people state that the tracked unit moves a little easier when you have a little bit of snow under the track but since I have a concrete drive, I may not have that little bit extra to easy the turn.  I really would like to try one out but most all of the dealers around here don't stock the two stage only the single stage.  I would assume because of price and low sales on the larger units.  I saw a used HS1230TA from about 2004 for $2500 but feel that might be too big.  It looks like new and only has about 4 hours of use.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John 

Replies: 53 - 62 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
rubinew

Re: Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Reply #53   Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
If I lived within 2 hours from you, I would help you with the drive just to take a peak at your BLUE.

You have a truck with ramps  Come on Down, your the next contestant on 'help Ed Pick up a Yamaha!!!'

That is my next little hickup! The Local Dealer would deliver, this dealer is looking into it, but it won't be free.

I am going to have to make some calls tomorrow, see if I can wrangle a friend into going for a drive. My Shop Van won't have room for this 370lb beast! Plus I'll need some ramps!

MN_Runner

Reply #54   Jan 10, 2011 10:29 pm
I was able to fit my Honda 928WAS in the back of my 2005 Honda Odyssey.  The dealer helped me to get it loaded into the minivan then my wife and I unloaded when I got home. It is only 210 LB.  My wife and I barely weigh over 250 LB combined so this was not an easy task. 
aa335

Reply #55   Jan 11, 2011 12:51 am
FrankMA wrote:
I always leave my tank full with fresh fuel that has either a good dose of Seafoam or Stabile to last throughout the long summer or winter months. I've not had any problems in the 25 -30 years I've been doing this so I guess it works. I think I'd be concerned about oxidation in the fuel lines and carb if I drained them completely dry - but who knows....

I can't remember from the user manual or from a forum that leaving full tank of gas for storage is recommended to keep the metal gas tank from rusting.  I store it with full tank of gas.  I drain the carb bowl, of course.
Underdog

Reply #56   Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am
rubinew wrote:
 Van won't have room for this 370lb beast! Plus I'll need some ramps!

I tacked together some 2x4's to load a Yamaha YS828 in the back of a Toyota RAV.  The tracks walked themselves into the back and I didn't need to remove a thing. It rolled out just as easily (gravity is your friend).

lseap107

Reply #57   Jan 11, 2011 9:12 am
Yes, it was Harbor Powerhouse in Benton Harbor Michigan 877-837-2468.  I found Gary to be knowledgeable, honest and appreciative of my buisness.  He treats his internet customers with as much aprreciation as his walk in customers.  Sounded like he still had one 928 left and about 12 of the 1132's in stock.  He will ship also. 
rubinew

Reply #58   Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am
Underdog wrote:
I tacked together some 2x4's to load a Yamaha YS828 in the back of a Toyota RAV.  The tracks walked themselves into the back and I didn't need to remove a thing. It rolled out just as easily (gravity is your friend).

I like the drift extension on that!! I would think it works better than the simple steel bars??

Wonder if those are available for other models?

Bill_H

Reply #59   Jan 12, 2011 12:57 am
rubinew wrote:
You have a truck with ramps  Come on Down, your the next contestant on 'help Ed Pick up a Yamaha!!!'

That is my next little hickup! The Local Dealer would deliver, this dealer is looking into it, but it won't be free.

I am going to have to make some calls tomorrow, see if I can wrangle a friend into going for a drive. My Shop Van won't have room for this 370lb beast! Plus I'll need some ramps!

I picked up these at Ace hardware about 6-8 years ago and slapped them on a couple 2 bys and never regretted it. Easy to store and if you get some decent wood they'll take a very heavy load, plus they last forever.  I've gone over 500 lbs with them. Takes about 3 mins to build, just make sure you drill your holes straight.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
rubinew

Reply #60   Jan 12, 2011 1:14 am
Bill_H wrote:
I picked up these at Ace hardware about 6-8 years ago and slapped them on a couple 2 bys and never regretted it. Easy to store and if you get some decent wood they'll take a very heavy load, plus they last forever.  I've gone over 500 lbs with them. Takes about 3 mins to build, just make sure you drill your holes straight.

The Dealer had Ramps, so we loaded into my Dodge Caravan!! Just had to tilt auger forward to get bucket in, then tilt back, to get handles in!!

When I got home, I backed up to a packed snow bank, same level as van, laid a plywood sheet on snow, backed it out, drove it down the angled side of the bank, and we are up and running!!!

I will look at Home Depot, see if I can get something like this, there are a few times a year I could use ramps! Thanks for the tip!!

DIYer

Reply #61   Nov 29, 2014 10:24 am
aa335 wrote:
It does start easily without electric start.  The price for electric start has gotten ridiculous.  I'm glad I got mine when it was just $100.

I have a snow cab on mine so I'm having electric start is nice.  Some day, I'm going to rig up a battery so I don't have to get out of the cab to get it started.  :)

How much standing height do you have under the snow cab? I want to get one but I'm 6'4" and don't want to have to crouch (or modify the unit). Thanks.
aa335

Reply #62   Dec 1, 2014 10:23 am
DIYer wrote:
How much standing height do you have under the snow cab? I want to get one but I'm 6'4" and don't want to have to crouch (or modify the unit). Thanks.

I have about 6 foot 5 height to the top of the cab.  There is an additional 5 inches that I can raise it up higher.  It varies depends on the snowblower handles and where you can attach the frame of the cab.  So it's possible it may work for you.  One thing to consider is the cab will have to be lower than the garage door if you plan to get the snowblower in and out without removing the cab.  One would not want to remove or install a cab in windy blizzard conditions.
This message was modified Dec 1, 2014 by aa335
Replies: 53 - 62 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42