Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lseap107

Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 9:57 am
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better.  I think if I could get a Subaru motor on a larger size Ariens, I would still consider one but they only offer it on the smaller compact model.  Anyway, I can't make up my mind on a tracked model or wheeled model honda.  I live in Wisconsin and have a 3 car wide driveway and sidewalk to do.  Will the tracked unit clear down to the cement or do I have to shovel the little bit it leaves behind after blowing?  Also, would I be able to turn 180 degrees when I get to the end of my sidewalk with the tracked unit or would I have to make my turn in the driveway because I may need more room to make a turn on about a 4 foot wide sidewalk?  Probably still have to do that with a wheeled unit anyway.  I've head a few people state that the tracked unit moves a little easier when you have a little bit of snow under the track but since I have a concrete drive, I may not have that little bit extra to easy the turn.  I really would like to try one out but most all of the dealers around here don't stock the two stage only the single stage.  I would assume because of price and low sales on the larger units.  I saw a used HS1230TA from about 2004 for $2500 but feel that might be too big.  It looks like new and only has about 4 hours of use.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John 

Replies: 1 - 62 of 62View as Outline
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Re: Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Reply #1   Jan 9, 2011 10:09 am
1 for the 928 WA not a big fan of the tracked unit.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #2   Jan 9, 2011 10:24 am
lseap107 wrote:
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better.  I think if I could get a Subaru motor on a larger size Ariens, I would still consider one but they only offer it on the smaller compact model.  Anyway, I can't make up my mind on a tracked model or wheeled model honda.  I live in Wisconsin and have a 3 car wide driveway and sidewalk to do.  Will the tracked unit clear down to the cement or do I have to shovel the little bit it leaves behind after blowing?  Also, would I be able to turn 180 degrees when I get to the end of my sidewalk with the tracked unit or would I have to make my turn in the driveway because I may need more room to make a turn on about a 4 foot wide sidewalk?  Probably still have to do that with a wheeled unit anyway.  I've head a few people state that the tracked unit moves a little easier when you have a little bit of snow under the track but since I have a concrete drive, I may not have that little bit extra to easy the turn.  I really would like to try one out but most all of the dealers around here don't stock the two stage only the single stage.  I would assume because of price and low sales on the larger units.  I saw a used HS1230TA from about 2004 for $2500 but feel that might be too big.  It looks like new and only has about 4 hours of use.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John 

I had a 928TAS (with the tracks) and I returned it and bought a Toro 1028 with wheels. Tracks are great if you need them like if you have a steep incline or need it to climb stairs. But to clean down to the cement well I have a tar driveway and my Toro cleans down to the tar but that is more a function of the settings on the scraper bar and the skid shoes. All you might really need is an adjustment on those. You have a small driveway probably 60 feet long. I have a 220 foot driveway. But you can always buy a Toro single stage and that will clean down to the bare cement like a broom. I don't think you really need to spend the $$$ on a Honda unless you want to. The tracked Honda will chew ice on the cement. But setting the scraper bar lower will make it clean better no matter what brand it is.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
trouts2

Reply #3   Jan 9, 2011 10:30 am
   That's a big state with a lot of variation.  The 20 year average is 47 inches which is not much.  It looks like Duluth gets a lot and Milwalkee can get 40-80 inches with the yearly average of 52.  Sort of a surprise compared to eastern Mass with 62. 

Where do you live?

How long does the 3 car width go for in car lengths?   Any turnouts or widening at the garage?  Paths?  Clearing any sidewalk?  Can you toss to both sides along the driveway or have any need for great distance of toss?

All level ground or slopes?

A 926 size I would think is a fairly receint model, after 2000 anyway.  I would think it would do a OK job at the EOD for most storms. 

This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by trouts2
MN_Runner

Reply #4   Jan 9, 2011 10:31 am
If you can try out models before buying one so you know how it performs and turns.  I wish I had that opportunity but it is almost impossible.  Clearing down to the cement depends on how you have your scrapper adjusted.  If adjusted properly, it will be clean but not as good as those single stage rubber models (HS520 or Toro 421/221).  If you are going to go with a Honda then you really don't need an electric start but you may not have that choice if you are buying from CL or eBay.  Good luck.
njal

Reply #5   Jan 9, 2011 10:38 am

I have the 9hp track honda,it is a wonderful machine,
however I would recommend the wheeled model.
Just for the simple fact that is will be easier to man handle.
It will also be easier to move around you garage in the summer months
if you have to.I am one who likes toys and gadgets and such that is the reason
I bought the track model.I can climb stairs and snow mounds with it.
I think the wheeled model is more partical.

Just my 2 cents.. Good luck with what ever machine you purchase.
MN_Runner

Reply #6   Jan 9, 2011 10:54 am
Do you mean Honda HS1132TA?  I have seen them go for $2000 - $2500 depending on the condition.  I also have three car garage but don't have a huge or long driveway.  My preference would have been 24" snowblower but 200CC on HS724 was borderline.  If you are going to spend over $2000 for a snowblower - you may want to consider a new one so you know the history of your machine.
lseap107

Reply #7   Jan 9, 2011 11:33 am
It was the HS1132TAS that I saw for sale used for $2300. I live in the western part of Wisconsin near La Crosse. Kind of leaning towards the wheeled unit from some of the comments I've already read.
lseap107

Reply #8   Jan 9, 2011 11:48 am
My driveway is 36'wide by 37' long. I have about 60' by 5' of sidewalk to clear. I can throw snow on both sides of my driveway but I usually have some wind that I must contend with so I generally have to blow it to one side. Where the driveway ends and the street begins, I usually blow from one end of the width to the other so I would need to throw it at least 40 feet. My Ariens 926 works fine but it will ride up the plowed in snowbank of my driveway. The other thing I don't like is that it could use one more lower gear. 1st. gear is just a little too fast for the auger when you have to clear the plowed in section.
rubinew

Reply #9   Jan 9, 2011 3:09 pm
lseap107 wrote:
My driveway is 36'wide by 37' long. I have about 60' by 5' of sidewalk to clear. I can throw snow on both sides of my driveway but I usually have some wind that I must contend with so I generally have to blow it to one side. Where the driveway ends and the street begins, I usually blow from one end of the width to the other so I would need to throw it at least 40 feet. My Ariens 926 works fine but it will ride up the plowed in snowbank of my driveway. The other thing I don't like is that it could use one more lower gear. 1st. gear is just a little too fast for the auger when you have to clear the plowed in section.

I live in Canada, with open fields, and get a lot of blown packed snow. For that reason, I am looking at getting a track.

The Honda dealer up here only brings in tracked models, and the Yamahas (the one I want) only make tracked versions.

I have only used tracks for a short time, in the parking lots, testing, and yes they are hard to turn, if not under power. The trick is to keep the tracks moving, while you turn, otherwise, it is a fight. My wife was able to turn the 928 Honda, and the 624 Yamaha (both 250lbs) by keeping the tracks turning.

Me and my neighbors are all fighting with our wheeled blowers riding up, and not digging into the drifts and EOD. Just this morning, I had to plow through 30-40 inch drifts, and several times the auger was pointing up. So I back up, and hit again, leaning forward, and pushing up on the handles, wiggling, etc. I would rather have to learn to finess the turning process on the tracks, then wrestle all day with keeping the auger in the snow.

Now if you can find a wheeled model, that is front heavy, with good traction, then it may work in your area.  Keep in mind that all track models have an adjustment (manual or gas assist) to push the auger even further down, to help chew through tough snow.

Regarding lower gears, the Honda is a Hydrostatic drive, so you can go as slow as you want!

This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by rubinew
trouts2

Reply #10   Jan 9, 2011 3:18 pm

You can fine tune your average below but it’s about 50 inches which is not so much.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/arx/climate.php?month=Year&type=snow 

Handling:

A big track is tougher to turn than a locked wheeled but not by that much once you get used to them.  Turning at the sidewalk is not a problem.   Going to a showroom and trying one will probably be a turn off as it takes using them for a while to get used to.  I have no problem with any track.

Traction:

Tracks have a reputation for traction but if you compare one to a wheeled outfitted for traction the advantage decreases by quite a bit.  For example comparing an Ariens 1028 to a Honda 1132.  With the Ariens having 6 x 15 tires with good tread the difference in traction for lifting or bad EOD piles gets pretty close.  They both slip in nasty stuff and both lift with the Honda having an advantage in less lifting but when forced low will slip their treads in bad conditions.  Chains on big tires would reduce that advantage even more.

Since you did not mention slope as a reason for a track I’ll assume you have a level area.

The value of a Honda for you would be an advantage of shifting the weight to the bucket and good distance.  Both of those for you are only related to the driveway EOD if the sidewalk can be cleared leaving some of the pile in the gutter.  At lease distance for the sidewalk part is not a factor.  You did not mention a tough time with the buildup of the sidewalk compared to the end of the driveway so possibly you have a way to deal with that.  You are probably running parallel there.  I assume your running parallel in the EOD area also but maybe have to get more there.

For the lower gear part:

You can adjust your friction disk closer to the center of the drive plate which you may have already done.

I did not find the slow hydro speed all the much of an advantage.  When the wheeled and track had to go super slow the conditions were bad and you are very close to the margin for slip on forward progress.  Going very slow and having very very slow did not gain much before slip.

For the better distance part: 

A healthy 1028 looses to a 1132 Honda tossing crud snow but not by much.  Honda will wax a 1028 in the driveway area with just fallen snow i.e. no crud like at the EOD.  An 11hp Honda will toss better than your 926 but you are not going to get monster distance from the fabled Honda tossing EOD with a 9 or 11.

For distance tossing EOD you could take a smaller cut with the 926.  You could boost your governor speed higher and run most of the time at reduced throttle.  At the EOD you could buck it up.  The load will reduce your RPM below 3600 anyway but you’ll have more umph.  

I clear about 150 feet of EOD so I want distance also.  At 36 feet you could start in the middle, go parallel and if super bad wet crud you’d have to double toss the edges.   For some snows I pre-clear an area to toss to so I don’t have to double throw.  I clear a couple of rows near the end of the driveway then go the sidewalk away from the driveway which I want to toss past the EOD.  I can’t so toss into the cleared area.  I then go parallel to the EOD taking whatever cuts I can and it’s out of the way.  The double toss and the rest of the driveway get cleared after.  For better distance you could try to setup so you are always tossing to the right which is the good side for a machine.

For the lifting part:

The Honda will be an advantage but as mentioned above if bad crud they slip their tracks so the overall advantage won’t be huge.  A Honda will probably not be a “cure”.   You could try a weight kit on the 928 and smaller cuts. 

Specifically for a Honda 928WA vs a 928TA there would be an advantage in the track for the EOD in lifting.  You won’t get any lifting advantage with the W vs the Ariens 926.  You gain some amount of advantage with the track but I doubt it would be significant before the tracks slip.  For the snowfall you get and with the EOD only 36 feet there may be some other was to clear that would use the Ariens more effectively.  The 9hp Honda will out toss the Ariens but not by whopping amounts at the EOD section unless your engine is tired.

If you wanted more advantage in lift and distance then an 11hp Honda would be better.  It only comes in 32 inch bucket unless newer models have 28.  An 1132 for you would be impractical overall unless you are so frustrated only the big guy will do or of course for fun.

So the options would be Honda 928WA.   With the justification being the EOD only the reason for replacing the Ariens lessens.   For the amount of snow you get each year and the amount of snowfalls that the Honda would be an advantage each year it would be hard to justify the expense for me.  You may be perfectly happy with that but you won’t know as you can’t use the Honda for a while first.  Maybe you could strap on a 10 or 11.5hp to the Ariens for much less and be satisfied.  It would be an easy swap and you could sell your engine on Craigslist making it cheaper.

Paul7

Reply #11   Jan 9, 2011 3:33 pm
rubinew wrote:

Now if you can find a wheeled model, that is front heavy, with good traction, then it may work in your area. 

You just described the old Toro Power Shift large frame models with tire chains. 
tkrotchko

Reply #12   Jan 9, 2011 6:19 pm
I've purchased a Honda 1132TAS and while we've not had any snow yet, I've tried maneuvering it on dry blacktop while moving forward, and I haven't had any issue with it. As long as the tracks are moving it feels like its floating a bit because of the design of the treads. I'm not a big guy, either.
MN_Runner

Reply #13   Jan 9, 2011 6:22 pm
lseap107

Do you have pictures of your Ariens 926 we can see?  Do you have any pictures or detailed information on Honda HS1132 you are interested in buying?

kderobertis

Reply #14   Jan 9, 2011 6:54 pm
I used my Honda HS928TA two days after Christmas for the first time and I was so impressed. I must of had 24 inches of heavy wet show plowed at the EOD and the Honda went thru without slipping on the first pass. The snow being higher than the 20 inch height clearance was no match for the tracked version. My previous Ariens you would have to rock back and forth to get thru the EOD, my reason for going with the Honda HS928TA. Tracked version is great and easy to maneuver in the snow, on dry pavement best to pull then push, with the auger set to highest height. I wouldn't change my tracked version for a wheeled version, very happy with my decision and purchase.
This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by kderobertis

Ken

trouts2

Reply #15   Jan 9, 2011 7:38 pm
kderobertis, just curious.  What Ariens did you have?   Do you know what the factory number was, tires, chains?  Since you  used both it would be interesting to know.  
rubinew

Reply #16   Jan 9, 2011 7:55 pm
kderobertis wrote:
I used my Honda HS928TA two days after Christmas for the first time and I was so impressed. I must of had 24 inches of heavy wet show plowed at the EOD and the Honda went thru without slipping on the first pass. The snow being higher than the 20 inch height clearance was no match for the tracked version. My previous Ariens you would have to rock back and forth to get thru the EOD, my reason for going with the Honda HS928TA. Tracked version is great and easy to maneuver in the snow, on dry pavement best to pull then push, with the auger set to highest height. I wouldn't change my tracked version for a wheeled version, very happy with my decision and purchase.

This is good to read. I am very interested in getting a tracked Yamaha, and there are more ppl that complain about tracks, than those who like them :-)

I was begining to get a bit nervous that I might regret the track. I have the same porblem with my current blower, the rocking, wiggling, and plain fighting with it to keep the auger in the snow.

kderobertis

Reply #17   Jan 9, 2011 7:57 pm
trouts2 wrote:
kderobertis, just curious.  What Ariens did you have?   Do you know what the factory number was, tires, chains?  Since you  used both it would be interesting to know.  

I had the Ariens 624, much smaller than the current Honda,

Ken

aa335

Reply #18   Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am
lseap107 wrote:

I have the HS1132 myself and most of the time, I don't need the tracks, but this model only comes in track.  Turning 180 on the sidewalk is a non issue, there's enough room.  Honda snowblowers are surprising short and compact and with a little manhandling, you can pivot it around its center.  The challenge is turning 180 at the garage door, where you have a physical barrier, this will require some skill to turn without hitting that door.  :)  .  I haven't made contact yet.

Your end of drive situation doesn't seem too severe to warrant the strong points of a Honda track snowblower.  The only two useful feature is the variable hydrostatic transmission which does not require feathering of the drive bail to get really slow crawl speeds.  Honda track snowblower can put a lot of weight on the bucket to lessen riding up, but it will ride up when forward speed is too fast or going over driven packed snow.  Put it in scraper mode, bucket fully down, set crawl speed and let it do its job.  Don't rush or force it.  The heavy bucket weight and aggressive serrated teeth auger will do the work.

If you have patience and tolerance, get the tracked version.  I like a little challenge so I don't mind the tracks.  However, your drive way seems short which means there's a lot of turns .  Since you chose to throw it to one side, that also means a lot of chute directional changes.  Cranking the chute and frequent turns can either give you real good exercise or you will end up cussing about it.  Everything about operating a Honda is just more physical. 

If you are dead set on tracks, then by all means get it.  If you consider wheel model instead, I'd offer you to consider a Toro 826OXE and a 221QR combo that would come in at little less than a Honda 928WA.  The 221QR single stage snowblower can zip up and down the sidewalk very fast and will probably outpace a 2 stage snowblower with snow up to 5 inches.  The Toro 826OXE has good power to width ratio to take on EOD nicely.  Both Toro's are very user friendly.  I find the little Toro single are great for grooming curved paver walkways and tight areas.

I like my HS1132 a lot when it is snowing heavily and when the snow at the EOD is nasty.  The sheer volume and distance of snow it process is impressive.  I rarely get 20 inch snowfall to let this machine show it's strength.  Most of the time, the Toro single 421Q or Honda single HS621 is used instead.  But if I were to narrow down what I would practically use, the Toro 826OXE and 421Q would be my choice.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by aa335
njal

Reply #19   Jan 10, 2011 6:30 am
aa335

Tell the truth now! You just want to have  the biggest meanest snow blower
on the block! haha!!!
Shryp

Reply #20   Jan 10, 2011 6:43 am
njal wrote:
aa335

on the block! haha!!!

No he doesn't.  He just wants to have every machine on the block.
FrankMA

Reply #21   Jan 10, 2011 7:32 am
aa335 wrote:
Turning 180 on the sidewalk is a non issue, there's enough room.  Honda snowblowers are surprising short and compact and with a little manhandling, you can pivot it around its center.  The challenge is turning 180 at the garage door, where you have a physical barrier, this will require some skill to turn without hitting that door.  :)  .  I haven't made contact yet.

Your end of drive situation doesn't seem too severe to warrant the strong points of a Honda track snowblower.  The only two useful feature is the variable hydrostatic transmission which does not require feathering of the drive bail to get really slow crawl speeds.  Honda track snowblower can put a lot of weight on the bucket to lessen riding up, but it will ride up when forward speed is too fast or going over driven packed snow.  Put it in scraper mode, bucket fully down, set crawl speed and let it do its job.  Don't rush or force it.  The heavy bucket weight and aggressive serrated teeth auger will do the work.

If you have patience and tolerance, get the tracked version.  I like a little challenge so I don't mind the tracks.  However, your drive way seems short which means there's a lot of turns .  Since you chose to throw it to one side, that also means a lot of chute directional changes.  Cranking the chute and frequent turns can either give you real good exercise or you will end up cussing about it.  Everything about operating a Honda is just more physical. 

If you are dead set on tracks, then by all means get it.  If you consider wheel model instead, I'd offer you to consider a Toro 826OXE and a 221QR combo that would come in at little less than a Honda 928WA.  The 221QR single stage snowblower can zip up and down the sidewalk very fast and will probably outpace a 2 stage snowblower with snow up to 5 inches.  The Toro 826OXE has good power to width ratio to take on EOD nicely.  Both Toro's are very user friendly.  I find the little Toro single are great for grooming curved paver walkways and tight areas.

I like my HS1132 a lot when it is snowing heavily and when the snow at the EOD is nasty.  The sheer volume and distance of snow it process is impressive.  I rarely get 20 inch snowfall to let this machine show it's strength.  Most of the time, the Toro single 421Q or Honda single HS621 is used instead.  But if I were to narrow down what I would practically use, the Toro 826OXE and 421Q would be my choice.

I owned and operated a Honda HS624WA wheel drive snowblower for 10 years. I just sold it this past year when I purchased a used low hour Honda HS928TA track drive from a friend who got relocated down south. The 624 was much more nimble than the 928 but the track drive does provide better overall traction, especially going up and down my sloped (15* or so) 135' long driveway. I sold my 624 because I got what I felt was a good deal on the 928 and had been considering an upgrade to the 9 HP the past couple of years.The 6 HP did the job but it was a bit underpowered for the EOD garbage that I typically deal with on my road.

There's no comparison when it comes to EOD cleaning - the 3 way bucket adjustment combined with the track drive and 9 HP engine provide impressive cleaning (down to the pavement), traction and throwing distance. Manuverability with the tracks is not as challenging as some folks will lead you to believe but it is definitely much more physical than a set of wheels. Learning the proper technique for turning and overall handling is really the key to ease of use. Having snow under the tracks also makes turning much easier than when on dry pavement. Your situation seems better suited to a wheel drive model than tracks as your driveway is fairly short and sounds like it's flat as well (you don't mention any inclines to deal with).

I think aa335 hit the nail on the head as far as owning 2 pieces of equipment. A nice single stage will give you down to the pavement cleaning, handle the smaller storms better than a 2 stage and offer much better manuverability in tight areas such as walkways, etc... while the 2 stage is obviously better suited to handle the larger storms (6" +) and clear the EOD garbage. You could own the 2 Toro's that aa335 suggests and be the envy of your neighborhood. Let's face it, who does'nt need a few extra toys in the garage to make life a bit easier! 

This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Jan 10, 2011 8:03 am
rubinew wrote:
This is good to read. I am very interested in getting a tracked Yamaha, and there are more ppl that complain about tracks, than those who like them :-)

I was begining to get a bit nervous that I might regret the track. I have the same porblem with my current blower, the rocking, wiggling, and plain fighting with it to keep the auger in the snow.

I think many people who are buying a tracked snowblower don't really need it. Oh for certain some do, but most just get it for the coolness factor, I myself thought I needed tracks but I didn't. You on the other hand have a whole nother problem with that drifting snow that fills in your driveway and the tracks will be a big help in grinding into the big snowbanks that you get. Lower that puppy to chew pavement and it will crawl along as nice as can be. The hydrostatic tranny can creep as slow as you need to go so less chance of it riding up.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #23   Jan 10, 2011 8:14 am
rubinew wrote:

All of that goes away with the track drive. Set the bucket in the middle position, adjust the hydrostatic tranny speed and let the augers process the snow, slush, etc...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #24   Jan 10, 2011 10:55 am
The 926 Ariens has a good power to auger width ratio and shouldn't lack "oomph". Perhaps the carb is set below the 3600rpm level. I bought a Toro Professional grade mulching Lawn Mower with a 6hp. Kawi a number of years ago that didn't mulch the grass very well at all.  I put a tach on it and found the engine was turning about 3050 rpm. I adjusted up to 3550 and it made all the difference in the world.

I spoke to the dealer who told me that the engine manufacturers usually set the engines below the 3600 mark.

With regard to the riding up issue -Have you tried a weight kit? Very few people do but in my experience they are very effective. I had an old paddle wheel Simplicity which had a rather long wheel base and small tires .It rode up badly at the EOD till I bolted on a weight kit.

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Paul7

Reply #25   Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm
lseap107 wrote:
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better....

Someone recommended the 26" 8hp Toro 826OXE.   While it's a fine machine, and I like the dual sbowblower approach, I don't see it providing a better motor or better performance for EOD plowed snow over what you currently own.  Same 26 inch bucket as your Ariens and one less hp.  

The 9hp Honda engine would likely be better than the 9hp on your current Ariens but would it be more powerful than a 342cc Briggs?  

The best way to handle plowed snow always seems to lead to trade-offs.  In my opinion plowed snow became more of an issue when manufacturers went away from tires that needed chains.  Back in the 70's if your machine had enough overall weight plus chains on the tires it would plow through anything.  Today's SnowHog type chainless tires are good on snow but will lose traction on icy snow.  So to solve the loss of traction problem, manufacturers didn't go back to chains, they built machines with tracks...which in turn created maneuverability problems.  One would expect the tracked Honda to provide an improvement with deep plowed snow but is that the machine you want to wrestle with to clear a small 3 inch snowfall.

So there's no perfect answer.  Just for giggles though if I were you I'd try fitting the Ariens with appropriate tire chains and see how it does.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by Paul7
Paul7

Reply #26   Jan 10, 2011 3:03 pm
Also, has an aside, the augers on older snow throwers were positioned so that they protruded in front of the bucket sides by six inches or so.  Nothing by speculation on my part but I think that aided in breaking up packed snow better than todays design.  Today the augers are positioned well back inside the buckets.  My guess is that the change was made for safety and liability reasons.  The mega blowers, the one's attached to semi tractor-trailer cabs, still have the augers well in front of the housing. 
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by Paul7
lseap107

Reply #27   Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm
Thank you all for the informative answers to my question.  I think I am leaning towards the Honda.  I was set on going with the HS928TAS tracked unit but my dealer said he would sell me the HS1132TA tracked unit with electric start for $205 more.  Should I go with the bigger 11hp 32" cut or just stay with the 9hp 28" cut?  My driveway is 38' x 38'.  I have a three car garage with sidwalk.  Any suggestons?
kderobertis

Reply #28   Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm
I would go with the HS1132TA, but I think the electric start is money thrown out the window, since these machines start on the first pull all the time.

I used my new HS928TA and I love it, again starts on the first pull.

Ken

aa335

Reply #29   Jan 10, 2011 3:18 pm
lseap107 wrote:
Thank you all for the informative answers to my question.  I think I am leaning towards the Honda.  I was set on going with the HS928TAS tracked unit but my dealer said he would sell me the HS1132TA tracked unit with electric start for $205 more.  Should I go with the bigger 11hp 32" cut or just stay with the 9hp 28" cut?  My driveway is 38' x 38'.  I have a three car garage with sidwalk.  Any suggestons?

Sounds like your dealer is trying to move that 1132 since there is only a price differential of $205 from a 928.  I would suggest go with a 928 and try to negotiate in commercial side skids or a light kit if it doesn't already have one.
aa335

Reply #30   Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm
kderobertis wrote:
I would go with the HS1132TA, but I think the electric start is money thrown out the window, since these machines start on the first pull all the time.

I used my new HS928TA and I love it, again starts on the first pull.

It does start easily without electric start.  The price for electric start has gotten ridiculous.  I'm glad I got mine when it was just $100.

I have a snow cab on mine so I'm having electric start is nice.  Some day, I'm going to rig up a battery so I don't have to get out of the cab to get it started.  :)
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by aa335
FrankMA

Reply #31   Jan 10, 2011 3:27 pm
If your only going to have one machine, I would go for the HS928TA - big enough to get the job done but small enough to be a bit more manueverable. Not saying anything bad about the 1132 but it is a big machine and your requirements seem better suited to something in the 28" bucket range or slightly less. You'll never use the electric start (nor will you need to) so count that out of your decision making process. I know this goes against all the unwritten OPE laws of equipment buying, but sometimes you can get a machine that's too big. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing....

lseap107

Reply #32   Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm
Sounds like the 928 then.  I, agree I don't need the electric start but he has it on both of the 928 units already installed. 
kderobertis

Reply #33   Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm
Both the HS928TA or HS1132TA would work fine, you can't go wrong either way.

Ken

aa335

Reply #34   Jan 10, 2011 3:49 pm
njal wrote:
aa335

on the block! haha!!!

I neither deny or confirm such accusations. :)
aa335

Reply #35   Jan 10, 2011 3:52 pm
Shryp wrote:
No he doesn't.  He just wants to have every machine on the block.

Except the Snapper LE 19. Loud and anemic piece of junk next door.
lseap107

Reply #36   Jan 10, 2011 4:22 pm
I'm going to order up the HS928TAS.  I was quoted $2,570 with shipping to my home.  Still a lot of money but I called around and this was by far the best price.  The HS1132AAS was $2,775.  I called one place in Illonois and they wanted $3199 for the 928 and $3799 for the 1128.  That price is just criminal.  If anyone is looking for a Honda, let me know.  The place I talked to has 16 of the HS1132 units left and one HS928TAS left.  Thanks again for all of your help.
njal

Reply #37   Jan 10, 2011 4:34 pm
lseap107 wrote:
I'm going to order up the HS928TAS.  I was quoted $2,570 with shipping to my home.  Still a lot of money but I called around and this was by far the best price.  The HS1132AAS was $2,775.  I called one place in Illonois and they wanted $3199 for the 928 and $3799 for the 1128.  That price is just criminal.  If anyone is looking for a Honda, let me know.  The place I talked to has 16 of the HS1132 units left and one HS928TAS left.  Thanks again for all of your help.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Be prepared for many years of trouble free use .

At the end of the year,fuel tank bone dry,carb.bone dry.

If you do that next fall it will start with one pull. :-)

Steve_Cebu

Reply #38   Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm
njal wrote:

Congratulations on your purchase.
Be prepared for many years of trouble free use .

At the end of the year,fuel tank bone dry,carb.bone dry.

If you do that next fall it will start with one pull. :-)

In my area it's best to fill the tank to the verrry top and drain the carb by running it out of gas. We get so many humid days here that a full tank with Sta-bil in it is better than an empty tank. I did that for my Toro and it started with 1 pull.

lseap107

Reply #39   Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm
Does it show in the owner's manual where to drain the gas from the carb?
njal

Reply #40   Jan 10, 2011 4:58 pm
It sure does. Not hard to do at all.
njal

Reply #41   Jan 10, 2011 5:01 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
In my area it's best to fill the tank to the verrry top and drain the carb by running it out of gas. We get so many humid days here that a full tank with Sta-bil in it is better than an empty tank. I did that for my Toro and it started with 1 pull.

Steve well it started so I guess your way works

as well. I can't drain 145 gall. out my boat and it starts in the spring.

I just like keeping the mower and blowers bone dry when not in use.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #42   Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm
lseap107 wrote:
Does it show in the owner's manual where to drain the gas from the carb?

No you don't drain  it you just shut off your gas while the unit is running and eventually it will run out of gas. My dealer showed me how to do it and they have everyone do this. They also sell Ariens and expensive John Deere tractors and they have everyone do the same thing. Hey, it works.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #43   Jan 10, 2011 6:05 pm
njal wrote:
Steve well it started so I guess your way works

as well. I can't drain 145 gall. out my boat and it starts in the spring.

I just like keeping the mower and blowers bone dry when not in use.

The thing is the tank would be filled with water if I had it empty. Too much hot & cold during the summer so the condensation in the garage would be awful.

njal

Reply #44   Jan 10, 2011 7:13 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
No you don't drain  it you just shut off your gas while the unit is running and eventually it will run out of gas. My dealer showed me how to do it and they have everyone do this. They also sell Ariens and expensive John Deere tractors and they have everyone do the same thing. Hey, it works.

I think there is a thumb screw on thebottom or side of  carb that gets another teaspoon out.

Now I'll have to check in the morning.

FrankMA

Reply #45   Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm
I always leave my tank full with fresh fuel that has either a good dose of Seafoam or Stabile to last throughout the long summer or winter months. I've not had any problems in the 25 -30 years I've been doing this so I guess it works. I think I'd be concerned about oxidation in the fuel lines and carb if I drained them completely dry - but who knows....

njal

Reply #46   Jan 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
The thing is the tank would be filled with water if I had it empty. Too much hot & cold during the summer so the condensation in the garage would be awful.

Never had that happen and it gets ugly hot here in the summer..

I'll have to take a peek in my tank this summer.

I just don't like the new fuel as of late.

Years ago I would put my lawn mower away at the end of fall and never worried about,

untill the new fuel came out .Then all kinds of crazy things happened to my blowers and mowers.

MN_Runner

Reply #47   Jan 10, 2011 7:36 pm

lseap107

What is the name of the Honda dealer that carries 11 HS1132TAS. It must be a very big store, is it in New York? Can you give us the name of the store where you ordered your HS928TAS?

kderobertis

Reply #48   Jan 10, 2011 8:06 pm
MN_Runner wrote:

lseap107

What is the name of the Honda dealer that carries 11 HS1132TAS. It must be a very big store, is it in New York? Can you give us the name of the store where you ordered your HS928TAS?

It may be Harbor PowerHouse

http://www.harborpowerhouse.com/

This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by kderobertis

Ken

rubinew

Reply #49   Jan 10, 2011 9:27 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I think many people who are buying a tracked snowblower don't really need it. Oh for certain some do, but most just get it for the coolness factor, I myself thought I needed tracks but I didn't. You on the other hand have a whole nother problem with that drifting snow that fills in your driveway and the tracks will be a big help in grinding into the big snowbanks that you get. Lower that puppy to chew pavement and it will crawl along as nice as can be. The hydrostatic tranny can creep as slow as you need to go so less chance of it riding up.

Yes, I would be nice. just got a call from the Yamaha Dealer in Regina, He can not get the 928 until mid February.

Now, THE GOOD News, there is one in Saskatoon, about a 2 hour drive from here. So I am working on a deal to get this one, it is the last 928 in the Province!!! I hope it works out!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #50   Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm
njal wrote:
Never had that happen and it gets ugly hot here in the summer..

I'll have to take a peek in my tank this summer.

I just don't like the new fuel as of late.

Years ago I would put my lawn mower away at the end of fall and never worried about,

untill the new fuel came out .Then all kinds of crazy things happened to my blowers and mowers.

The thing is it gets hot & cold here and everything sweats this new crap gas is 10% ethanol and that draws in moisture. The stabil helps as it's an enzyme. I am really going to worry when they finally pass that stupid 15% ethanol requirement. Thank you Kalifornia.

I will probably buy a diesel if I have to deal with 15% ethanol. So far they can't cut that with alcohol.... yet.

I can imagine the damage 15% Ethanol will do to our snowblowers.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #51   Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm
rubinew wrote:
Yes, I would be nice. just got a call from the Yamaha Dealer in Regina, He can not get the 928 until mid February.

Now, THE GOOD News, there is one in Saskatoon, about a 2 hour drive from here. So I am working on a deal to get this one, it is the last 928 in the Province!!! I hope it works out!

2 hours is nothing! Heck we have to drive 2 hours just to find something to do around here other than throw rocks at trees.

I'd go for it just make sure it's not been used. Promises for a February delivery is like promises from a politician about not raising taxes.....

MN_Runner

Reply #52   Jan 10, 2011 10:00 pm
If I lived within 2 hours from you, I would help you with the drive just to take a peak at your BLUE.
rubinew

Reply #53   Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
If I lived within 2 hours from you, I would help you with the drive just to take a peak at your BLUE.

You have a truck with ramps  Come on Down, your the next contestant on 'help Ed Pick up a Yamaha!!!'

That is my next little hickup! The Local Dealer would deliver, this dealer is looking into it, but it won't be free.

I am going to have to make some calls tomorrow, see if I can wrangle a friend into going for a drive. My Shop Van won't have room for this 370lb beast! Plus I'll need some ramps!

MN_Runner

Reply #54   Jan 10, 2011 10:29 pm
I was able to fit my Honda 928WAS in the back of my 2005 Honda Odyssey.  The dealer helped me to get it loaded into the minivan then my wife and I unloaded when I got home. It is only 210 LB.  My wife and I barely weigh over 250 LB combined so this was not an easy task. 
aa335

Reply #55   Jan 11, 2011 12:51 am
FrankMA wrote:
I always leave my tank full with fresh fuel that has either a good dose of Seafoam or Stabile to last throughout the long summer or winter months. I've not had any problems in the 25 -30 years I've been doing this so I guess it works. I think I'd be concerned about oxidation in the fuel lines and carb if I drained them completely dry - but who knows....

I can't remember from the user manual or from a forum that leaving full tank of gas for storage is recommended to keep the metal gas tank from rusting.  I store it with full tank of gas.  I drain the carb bowl, of course.
Underdog

Reply #56   Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am
rubinew wrote:
 Van won't have room for this 370lb beast! Plus I'll need some ramps!

I tacked together some 2x4's to load a Yamaha YS828 in the back of a Toyota RAV.  The tracks walked themselves into the back and I didn't need to remove a thing. It rolled out just as easily (gravity is your friend).

lseap107

Reply #57   Jan 11, 2011 9:12 am
Yes, it was Harbor Powerhouse in Benton Harbor Michigan 877-837-2468.  I found Gary to be knowledgeable, honest and appreciative of my buisness.  He treats his internet customers with as much aprreciation as his walk in customers.  Sounded like he still had one 928 left and about 12 of the 1132's in stock.  He will ship also. 
rubinew

Reply #58   Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am
Underdog wrote:
I tacked together some 2x4's to load a Yamaha YS828 in the back of a Toyota RAV.  The tracks walked themselves into the back and I didn't need to remove a thing. It rolled out just as easily (gravity is your friend).

I like the drift extension on that!! I would think it works better than the simple steel bars??

Wonder if those are available for other models?

Bill_H

Reply #59   Jan 12, 2011 12:57 am
rubinew wrote:
You have a truck with ramps  Come on Down, your the next contestant on 'help Ed Pick up a Yamaha!!!'

That is my next little hickup! The Local Dealer would deliver, this dealer is looking into it, but it won't be free.

I am going to have to make some calls tomorrow, see if I can wrangle a friend into going for a drive. My Shop Van won't have room for this 370lb beast! Plus I'll need some ramps!

I picked up these at Ace hardware about 6-8 years ago and slapped them on a couple 2 bys and never regretted it. Easy to store and if you get some decent wood they'll take a very heavy load, plus they last forever.  I've gone over 500 lbs with them. Takes about 3 mins to build, just make sure you drill your holes straight.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
rubinew

Reply #60   Jan 12, 2011 1:14 am
Bill_H wrote:
I picked up these at Ace hardware about 6-8 years ago and slapped them on a couple 2 bys and never regretted it. Easy to store and if you get some decent wood they'll take a very heavy load, plus they last forever.  I've gone over 500 lbs with them. Takes about 3 mins to build, just make sure you drill your holes straight.

The Dealer had Ramps, so we loaded into my Dodge Caravan!! Just had to tilt auger forward to get bucket in, then tilt back, to get handles in!!

When I got home, I backed up to a packed snow bank, same level as van, laid a plywood sheet on snow, backed it out, drove it down the angled side of the bank, and we are up and running!!!

I will look at Home Depot, see if I can get something like this, there are a few times a year I could use ramps! Thanks for the tip!!

DIYer

Reply #61   Nov 29, 2014 10:24 am
aa335 wrote:
It does start easily without electric start.  The price for electric start has gotten ridiculous.  I'm glad I got mine when it was just $100.

I have a snow cab on mine so I'm having electric start is nice.  Some day, I'm going to rig up a battery so I don't have to get out of the cab to get it started.  :)

How much standing height do you have under the snow cab? I want to get one but I'm 6'4" and don't want to have to crouch (or modify the unit). Thanks.
aa335

Reply #62   Dec 1, 2014 10:23 am
DIYer wrote:
How much standing height do you have under the snow cab? I want to get one but I'm 6'4" and don't want to have to crouch (or modify the unit). Thanks.

I have about 6 foot 5 height to the top of the cab.  There is an additional 5 inches that I can raise it up higher.  It varies depends on the snowblower handles and where you can attach the frame of the cab.  So it's possible it may work for you.  One thing to consider is the cab will have to be lower than the garage door if you plan to get the snowblower in and out without removing the cab.  One would not want to remove or install a cab in windy blizzard conditions.
This message was modified Dec 1, 2014 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 62 of 62View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42