Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Breaking the Jinx!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Steve_Cebu

Breaking the Jinx!
Original Message   Dec 19, 2010 9:55 pm
Oh Gosh I hope it won't snow! I just washed my snowblower and waxed it. It would be terrible if it snowed and got all dirty. I sure hope it doesn't snow this weekend that would be awful! It's too cold to be out blowing snow. I hope we have the lightest snowfall of the decade. Nothing could possibly make it snow. I hope we don't have any snow at all this year that would be great!

This year we will have no snow at all here. We won't get more than a flurry all winter. It's so great when it isn't snowing. There isn't a cloud in the sky!

Now to sit back and wait for the blizzard of 2011

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 1 - 94 of 94View as Outline
aa335

Re: Breaking the Jinx!
Reply #1   Dec 20, 2010 4:32 pm
I'm thinking about the song "California Girls" by David Lee Roth if that helps at all.

And "I get around" by the Beach Boys.

"409"

And some odd reason, "Midnight Train" by Sheen Easton. 
starwarrior

Reply #2   Dec 20, 2010 4:44 pm
Yea I am dreading the fact that we may get a significant snow storm here in New Jersey.

I don't want to get my brandy new Ariens full of  snow.

Starwarrior

aa335

Reply #3   Dec 20, 2010 4:55 pm
You're safe.  There's no snow where David lives.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #4   Dec 20, 2010 6:33 pm
aa335 wrote:
You're safe.  There's no snow where David lives.

There's no snow where Steve lives nor where FrankMA lives either. Of course we don't want any snow! Horrid stuff I hope we don't get a single flake all winter. There's NO WAY it's going to snow before Christmas. Oh and I just washed my car too!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #5   Dec 20, 2010 6:37 pm
Oh yeah, I love global warming and all that it brings with it.......

Please consider the environment before printing this message!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #6   Dec 20, 2010 6:40 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Oh yeah, I love global warming and all that it brings with it.......

Please consider the environment before printing this message!

I haven't figured out global warming. It snows like insane amounts but in all the wrong places. I might just move up to Canada and get some beach front property cause in a few years they are gonna have palm trees up there!

FrankMA

Reply #7   Dec 20, 2010 6:44 pm
We're actually getting some snow here in eastern Mass as I type this. Not in any quantity but snow nonetheless - might be able to use the single stage tomorrow if we get a few inches or so.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Chxbeachva

Reply #8   Dec 20, 2010 7:03 pm
So frustrating!!! I feal your pain.  I live in Long Island and bought a brand new John Deere 1028e and have yet to even pull it out of the shed.
iLikeOrange

Reply #9   Dec 20, 2010 7:06 pm
Carefull what you wish for. I live in the twincities MN and we've been dumped on  so much already this year I think I'm going to go out and buy a brand new blower just to get it to stop. Going back to around Thanksgiving when we got cement for snow, gobs of it . Then last week I blew 15-20" three times in the blizzard. Doing the neighbours too because the machines they had could not even begin to eat the monster snows. I will say that my Ariens 926dle threw the stuff like a champ and probably took a year off it's life.  Then the slush. I've been blowing snow for  40yrs+ and have never seen snow heavier . At one point I had what looked like just water coming out the chute. UN-believeable. My  drive did slip as usual a few times and pissed me off when it did but I guess itss omething I have to live with. OH AND GUESS WHAT MORE SNOW NOW 5-8' . Here we go again

O

Chxbeachva

Reply #10   Dec 20, 2010 8:01 pm
Good luck out there.  I just want to use it.  They have called for snow twice then retracted the forcast a few days before. 
aa335

Reply #11   Dec 20, 2010 8:48 pm
Driving home from work, everyone is driving like grandma. Someone painted all the road white. I barely tap the gas pedal and the car decided to go sideways. Reverse lock to counter the rotation. :) Now the question is which shiny is coming out in the morning. Big red or little red?
This message was modified Dec 20, 2010 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #12   Dec 20, 2010 8:50 pm
FrankMA wrote:
We're actually getting some snow here in eastern Mass as I type this. Not in any quantity but snow nonetheless - might be able to use the single stage tomorrow if we get a few inches or so.

I guess someone washed their car or snowblower today.

Not a flake in the sky and none forecast even for Christmas.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #13   Dec 20, 2010 8:52 pm
Chxbeachva wrote:
Good luck out there.  I just want to use it.  They have called for snow twice then retracted the forcast a few days before. 

Well around here it only rains or snows if you wash your car or say things like it's going to be a great day, not a cloud in the sky. Then 15 minutes later you get a downpour. New England just seems to give you the weather you don't want.

So No Snow for me!

starwarrior

Reply #14   Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
Carefull what you wish for. I live in the twincities MN and we've been dumped on  so much already this year I think I'm going to go out and buy a brand new blower just to get it to stop. Going back to around Thanksgiving when we got cement for snow, gobs of it . Then last week I blew 15-20" three times in the blizzard. Doing the neighbours too because the machines they had could not even begin to eat the monster snows. I will say that my Ariens 926dle threw the stuff like a champ and probably took a year off it's life.  Then the slush. I've been blowing snow for  40yrs+ and have never seen snow heavier . At one point I had what looked like just water coming out the chute. UN-believeable. My  drive did slip as usual a few times and pissed me off when it did but I guess itss omething I have to live with. OH AND GUESS WHAT MORE SNOW NOW 5-8' . Here we go again

O

Man I have been watching the news and you guys are getting pummeled this year.

Sooner or later the Jet stream is going to move on east and we may be in for some of the same.

Yep it's fun for the first couple of storms but the thrill wears out pretty quickly.

It has surely been cold enough here in NJ but the northerly flow of the jet stream has been taking the moisture well offshore.

I am eager to try out my 926Pro also, Time to do the snow dance.

Friction drives when they get wet slip, Nothing you can do about that. But it doesn't take to long for them to dry up and start working again.

The price you have to pay I guess for on the fly shifting.

Starwarrior

Steve_Cebu

Reply #15   Dec 21, 2010 8:56 am
Oh no, it has started snowing, only an inch predicted, so my Toro won't see any action. I doubt we will even get an inch. I hope we get no snow at all. That would be really bad.

FrankMA

Reply #16   Dec 21, 2010 9:12 am
Ended up with just about 4" of the white treasure overnight so..... I got out the HS928TA and did the driveway - nice!!!! Also broke out the HS520A to do the deck - nice!!!! I'll provide some feedback on my experience using both of these new to me toys in another thread. Looks like we're going to have a white Christmas after all!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #17   Dec 21, 2010 2:55 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Ended up with just about 4" of the white treasure overnight so..... I got out the HS928TA and did the driveway - nice!!!! Also broke out the HS520A to do the deck - nice!!!! I'll provide some feedback on my experience using both of these new to me toys in another thread. Looks like we're going to have a white Christmas after all!

Wow I need to go and wax my Toro right now. We only got a dusting way up here in NH. Looking forward to some pics or vids of your new toys. I had the 928TAS and it's a fine machine.

aa335

Reply #18   Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm
If it helps, you are welcome to come over and wax my new Toro too.  Rode it hard this morning and put away wet, needs some freshening up.
This message was modified Dec 21, 2010 by aa335
kellyinkc

Reply #19   Dec 21, 2010 5:37 pm
Same here, new Toro blower and no snow! That will change by Christmas Eve is the forecast holds. I will post a review IF enough falls.
starwarrior

Reply #20   Dec 21, 2010 8:17 pm
Oh great snow warrior, bestow on us your wrath. Let me redirect your drifting intrusions into my neighbors driveway. 

Oh great snow warrior, blanket us under a deep sea of white moisture so I can try out my new toy.

Starwarrior

woweh

Reply #21   Dec 21, 2010 9:23 pm
Steve,
Make sure it is filled up with fuel too!! That might help the reverse effect...!!! Or you could trailer it here to Ontario, Canada, we got lots, my Wifey is from the Philippines also so no worries about them getting along!!! Used the Toro 826, 5-6 times already.
D
Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Dec 21, 2010 11:02 pm
woweh wrote:
Steve,
Make sure it is filled up with fuel too!! That might help the reverse effect...!!! Or you could trailer it here to Ontario, Canada, we got lots, my Wifey is from the Philippines also so no worries about them getting along!!! Used the Toro 826, 5-6 times already.
D

Actually it's filled up with a full tank of gas an Sta-Bil to boot. No trailer unfortunately.

Hey what part of the Philippines is your wife from? Mine is from Cebu (kinda obvious by the name) Does your wife use your snowblower at all?

aa335

Reply #23   Dec 21, 2010 11:31 pm
kellyinkc wrote:
Same here, new Toro blower and no snow! That will change by Christmas Eve is the forecast holds. I will post a review IF enough falls.

I know you've been itching to try it out.  You will be delighted in that 221Q.  It will work just as well as a 421Q, just a bit more rowdy.  :)
aa335

Reply #24   Dec 22, 2010 12:11 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Does your wife use your snowblower at all?

Sounds like a personal question.  May I suggest a more discrete method?  There's a PM feature for hooking up. 
This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #25   Dec 22, 2010 3:15 am
aa335 wrote:
Sounds like a personal question.  May I suggest a more discrete method?  There's a PM feature for hooking up. 

Not any more personal than anything else on the forum. Lots of wives don't use the snowblowers for various reasons. Most Filipinas don't like teh cold so they'd rather stay inside where it's warm, at least among the Pinays I know in the US.

iLikeOrange

Reply #26   Dec 22, 2010 8:23 am
>>Sounds like a personal question.  May I suggest a more discrete method?  There's a PM feature for hooking up.

Steve_Cebu wrote:

Not any more personal than anything else on the forum. Lots of wives don't use the snowblowers for various reasons. Most Filipinas don't like teh cold so they'd rather stay inside where it's warm, at least among the Pinays I know in the US.

I think aa was being abit slight!

starwarrior

Reply #27   Dec 22, 2010 11:46 am
OK Boys, My wife will be in the house.

I think she may be making cookies.

It is also the weekend so I need to make sure the snow is off the driveway before Monday morning so she can get to work.

Then I can enjoy the cookies.

LOL

Starwarrior

aa335

Reply #28   Dec 22, 2010 10:07 pm
Expecting some accumulation this weekend. Time to wash and wax the snowblower and the car.
woweh

Reply #29   Dec 24, 2010 10:13 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Actually it's filled up with a full tank of gas an Sta-Bil to boot. No trailer unfortunately.

Hey what part of the Philippines is your wife from? Mine is from Cebu (kinda obvious by the name) Does your wife use your snowblower at all?

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply, busy time of the year as it is for everyone, finally had a chance to sit down by the PC. As for the question, I don't think it is a personal question. The Wifey is from ilo ilo, I had to start with lower case or it would look like IloIlo....lol. As for using the snow blower, she would if I would let her hehehe... BUT it is my toy and me likes to use it!!!! She loves the Winter, sometimes I think more then myself.

So did your jinx break!!! Did you get your machine out!! I hope so. Have yourself a very Merry Christmas Steve and everyone!!! C ya

This message was modified Dec 25, 2010 by woweh
Steve_Cebu

Reply #30   Dec 25, 2010 10:09 am
woweh wrote:
Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply, busy time of the year as it is for everyone, finally had a chance to sit down by the PC. As for the question, I don't think it is a personal question. The Wifey is from ilo ilo, I had to start with lower case or it would look like IloIlo....lol. As for using the snow blower, she would if I would let her hehehe... BUT it is my toy and me likes to use it!!!! She loves the Winter, sometimes I think more then myself.

So did your jinx break!!! Did you get your machine out!! I hope so. Have yourself a very Merry Christmas Steve and everyone!!! C ya

The holidays are for family, they always come first.

Yeah I know Iloilo is pretty tough on a PC if you don't know where it is. I have friends who live in Bacolod which obviously is on Negros but you just take the RoRo over to Iloilo. You have some really good festivals there. Some are like a smaller version of Sinulog like we have in Cebu. Have you and your wife ever been to Sinulog in Cebu City?

My wife actually loves the snow and winter in general. Of course Visayan girls are the best!  You should let your wife try out the snowblower and let her in on some of the fun too.

Jinx is sort of broken, we did get an inch, but heavy accumulation is forecast for Sunday night and supposedly it's going to be a LOT of snow! Yay!

Oh did your wife setup for Christmas in September like most Filipinos or did she wait? Mine had to wait and misses the 5 months of Christmas they have over there. I miss shooting off all the fireworks at Christmas.

A Merry Christmas to you and your wife and a Happy New Year filled with lots of Snow.

Catt

Reply #31   Dec 25, 2010 10:13 am
Here in Minnesota some people are trying to find additional locations to pile their snow.  I take care of my business parking lot & sidewalks and I'm getting a little concerned where I'm going to put it.  We already have a record December and the forecast is for two more dumps before the end of the year.

So for my Christmas wish...  I want to share with a few less fortunate and send a few storms your way.
aa335

Reply #32   Dec 25, 2010 10:40 am
Sure I'll take a foot or two of snow off your hands. Not all at one though.
Shryp

Reply #33   Dec 25, 2010 12:58 pm
I could use some.  How much are you charging for delivery to Ohio?
Steve_Cebu

Reply #34   Dec 25, 2010 1:02 pm
Catt wrote:
Here in Minnesota some people are trying to find additional locations to pile their snow.  I take care of my business parking lot & sidewalks and I'm getting a little concerned where I'm going to put it.  We already have a record December and the forecast is for two more dumps before the end of the year.

So for my Christmas wish...  I want to share with a few less fortunate and send a few storms your way.

What a pal, ok I'll take 2+ feet for NH all at once please that way I can really test how far my Toro 1028 will throw it. Powder is preffered but will take anything at this point.

Shryp

Reply #35   Dec 25, 2010 1:14 pm
I am getting an idea here.  How about you MN people throw your snow towards MI.  You MI people throw your snow towards IL.  You IL people throw towards OH.  I'll throw towards PA.  Eventually someone should get it NH for you.

We have enough people wishing for snow we should be able to team up and make everyone happy.

When we are done we can turn around and send it back to MN.  After all we just want to barrow it, not keep it.
This message was modified Dec 25, 2010 by Shryp
Steve_Cebu

Reply #36   Dec 25, 2010 9:30 pm
Shryp wrote:
I am getting an idea here.  How about you MN people throw your snow towards MI.  You MI people throw your snow towards IL.  You IL people throw towards OH.  I'll throw towards PA.  Eventually someone should get it NH for you.

We have enough people wishing for snow we should be able to team up and make everyone happy.

When we are done we can turn around and send it back to MN.  After all we just want to barrow it, not keep it.

Works for me! It looks like we have a Blizzard watch for tomorrow night so that means 8-12 inches which is a good start. It could be more but at least we have Monday off so plenty of time for making new videos of our Toro.

aa335

Reply #37   Dec 26, 2010 6:41 pm
Shryp wrote:

Hey, I'm in IL and definitely on the wrong side of the frikkin big lake, too darn cold and could use more snow.  A lot of storms just miss us and picks up additional moisture from the Lake Michigan and dumps on Michigan.  I guess that's why they name a lake after Michigan.  :)

I think we only get big storms if mother nature feels sorry for Minnesota and decides to let it loose on Wisconsin and Illinois. 

So a tip for anyone moving to the Midwest in search of snow, make sure you are on the east side of the lake.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #38   Dec 26, 2010 6:53 pm
I'd say the Jinx has been broken. Snow is really coming down and we have a Blizzard watch in effect until Monday evening. 18 hours or so of snow. Wahoo!

aa335

Reply #39   Dec 26, 2010 6:56 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I'd say the Jinx has been broken. Snow is really coming down and we have a Blizzard watch in effect until Monday evening. 18 hours or so of snow. Wahoo!

Man, I hate you.  :)

I just widened the driveway apron by 8 feet and we're heading into cold days without snow.  I've been waxing the snowblower so much that the wax won't even stick to itself.

I'll forgive you if you take some gratutious videos of the storm.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #40   Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm
aa335 wrote:
Man, I hate you.  :)

I just widened the driveway apron by 8 feet and we're heading into cold days without snow.  I've been waxing the snowblower so much that the wax won't even stick to itself.

I'll forgive you if you take some gratutious videos of the storm.  :)

I'll do better than that once it's all down I'll also shoot some measurements of how far the Toro will throw to the left, right and center as well as measuring the EOD. Maybe we can stack that up against Ariens, Simplicity and John Deere. A "Snowblower Throwout Shootout"

Catt

Reply #41   Dec 26, 2010 8:26 pm
"Maybe we can stack that up against Ariens, Simplicity and John Deere. A "Snowblower Throwout Shootout" "

I'd like to submit lanningjw's picture for the Deere entry  :)

This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by a moderator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #42   Dec 26, 2010 10:29 pm
What kind of snow is that? It looks like powder. I mean light fluffy stuff will throw further than heavy qwet snowball type snow. Also how far did it throw it? Distance, not height. We'll keep a tally and see how everything compares.

aa335

Reply #43   Dec 26, 2010 10:38 pm
Steve,

Can you keep a wall of throwing distance similar to the one on Top Gear?  We need the Stig.  :)
jrtrebor

Reply #44   Dec 26, 2010 11:02 pm
That's a great photo!
I like that what looks like a "Mini' Skid Steer in the background doing his thing.
Catt

Reply #45   Dec 26, 2010 11:10 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
What kind of snow is that? It looks like powder. I mean light fluffy stuff will throw further than heavy qwet snowball type snow. Also how far did it throw it? Distance, not height. We'll keep a tally and see how everything compares.

If I had any photoshop talent I'd give you the results in an updated picture.  Unfortunately I'll need to rely on others for an official measurement.
starwarrior

Reply #46   Dec 26, 2010 11:54 pm
Well, the Jinx is over and we are up to our thighs in reality.

The Snow monster is ready for it's first run. My wife heading for work at 7:00AM and my Son at 6:00AM so I figure I have to start at 4:45. Since they are considered essential personnel I don't have much of a choice in the matter. It's a good thing I am off today and I'm loaded for bear. We are getting hammered down here in Central NJ and expect every bit of 2'

I never had heated hand grips before, should be interesting. Expectations and confidence are high.

How about them wussie Eagles calling off the game because of snow ?????
They need an Ariens on their team.....
I know, I know, Don't get your cackle feathers all up in a rough.
It's because of public safety concerns.
But being a fan of the Gmen I have to get a shot in on you turd birds any way I can.
What we need is a new coach. Meltdowns like this are due to poor personnel management not the athletes.
Too many fumbles is a sign of  physical weakness and corrected for in the gym as well as on the practice field.
No excuses. When the war is lost do you shoot the infantry or the general ?????

This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by starwarrior
Steve_Cebu

Reply #47   Dec 27, 2010 12:50 am
aa335 wrote:
Steve,

Can you keep a wall of throwing distance similar to the one on Top Gear?  We need the Stig.  :)

I'm a big Top Gear fan but I'm not getting the reference. A wall of throwing distance? All we have here is trees.

aa335

Reply #48   Dec 27, 2010 4:22 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I'm a big Top Gear fan but I'm not getting the reference. A wall of throwing distance? All we have here is trees.

Ah, never mind. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #49   Jan 3, 2011 10:20 pm
What happened to all the lovely snow we had?! It's been in the high 30's and low 40's and most of the snow is gone. None on the way either.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

FrankMA

Reply #50   Jan 4, 2011 5:10 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
What happened to all the lovely snow we had?! It's been in the high 30's and low 40's and most of the snow is gone. None on the way either.

Getting colder again down this way and snow is forecasted for Friday into Saturday.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #51   Jan 4, 2011 7:54 am
FrankMA wrote:
Getting colder again down this way and snow is forecasted for Friday into Saturday.

I've read that we have a chance of snow, but I think it's a long shot. Since I've had my snowblower we've had quite a lot LESS snow that we've ever had.

rubinew

Reply #52   Jan 4, 2011 3:28 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I've read that we have a chance of snow, but I think it's a long shot. Since I've had my snowblower we've had quite a lot LESS snow that we've ever had.

I'll send you some of ours ;-)

My entire front yard varies from 5-8 feet high of snow. Of course a good part of that comes from the driveway being blown over it.

borat

Reply #53   Jan 4, 2011 3:44 pm
rubinew wrote:

My entire front yard varies from 5-8 feet high of snow. Of course a good part of that comes from the driveway being blown over it.

How about some pics of that driveway of yours. I'd like to see those drifts. 

I put a good row of cedars on the windward side of my property.  They're fairly tall now and don't get too much drifting anymore.  From the cedars to the driveway is about 70 feet or so and when we get a wicked west wind for a couple days, it will build hard drifts on the driveway.  Not very deep though, maybe 20 to 24  inches but hard packed.  If I get that much of a drift with only 70 feet of fetch, I can only imagine what you'd be getting from wide open farm fields.   
Steve_Cebu

Reply #54   Jan 4, 2011 6:05 pm
rubinew wrote:

What a Pal!  We could use a couple of feet maybe a meter or two if it's not too much trouble.

I'd also like to see a pic of all that windblown snow. The farms in my area are pretty bad when the snow is powder but that's usually not a problem as heavy wet snow doesn't blow very far.

rubinew

Reply #55   Jan 4, 2011 8:14 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
What a Pal!  We could use a couple of feet maybe a meter or two if it's not too much trouble.

I'd also like to see a pic of all that windblown snow. The farms in my area are pretty bad when the snow is powder but that's usually not a problem as heavy wet snow doesn't blow very far.

Yeah, I'll have to post some pictures on flickr, then link to them, at least I think that is how it works here.

Wet snow doesn't usually blow far, yeah, what I though, till we had 5 days of 70km wind, never let up. We even had freezing rain to crust up the top, but the relentless wind slowly dried and eroded the snow.

This was like sand, packed in the driveway. Only 20-30 inches deep, but I could walk on it, with barely a foot print, and I am a 200 lb guy. :-)

Chxbeachva

Reply #56   Jan 4, 2011 9:11 pm
rubinew wrote:
Yeah, I'll have to post some pictures on flickr, then link to them, at least I think that is how it works here.

Wet snow doesn't usually blow far, yeah, what I though, till we had 5 days of 70km wind, never let up. We even had freezing rain to crust up the top, but the relentless wind slowly dried and eroded the snow.

This was like sand, packed in the driveway. Only 20-30 inches deep, but I could walk on it, with barely a foot print, and I am a 200 lb guy. :-)

Bring some of that snow my way! Im ready

This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by Chxbeachva
Steve_Cebu

Reply #57   Jan 4, 2011 9:59 pm
rubinew wrote:

Yeah we had windblown snow this last storm and it is a PITA to deal with. You situation is constant and much worse than average. I think we'd all love to see pics. I use Photobucket but Flicker probably works too. That Yamaha will eat through that stuff like paper.

rubinew

Reply #58   Jan 4, 2011 10:15 pm
rubinew wrote:

Okay, I had a picture from Mid December on my phone, I posted it, so lets see how it turns out!

This is when I returned from Toronto, my wife had hired a bobcat ,when she could not get the MTD to dig thru, hence the lumpy snow.

To put things in perspective, the bottom of the front door is 4.5 feet above grade. The yard slops down to a swale, then back up to the road that I am sitting on.

Notice little snow on the left side, this is because the contant wind forces us to blow to the right side.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by rubinew
Chxbeachva

Reply #59   Jan 4, 2011 10:50 pm
Chxbeachva wrote:
Bring some of that snow my way! Im ready

By the way .....that Toyota FJ is awesome to drive in the snow. a lot of fun. If you have never driven one you should go test drive one at your local Toyota dealer.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #60   Jan 4, 2011 11:03 pm
rubinew wrote:
Okay, I had a picture from Mid December on my phone, I posted it, so lets see how it turns out!

This is when I returned from Toronto, my wife had hired a bobcat ,when she could not get the MTD to dig thru, hence the lumpy snow.

To put things in perspective, the bottom of the front door is 4.5 feet above grade. The yard slops down to a swale, then back up to the road that I am sitting on.

Notice little snow on the left side, this is because the contant wind forces us to blow to the right side.

Your driveway isn't all that long about the size I have off of my long driveway. But that windblown snow is nasty. We had a ton of snow 3 years ago. The plow guy brought in a front end loader on a BIG tractor to move it. The snow at that time was up to the top of the roof of our house! Nice boat you have there, is it a bowrider?

rubinew

Reply #61   Jan 4, 2011 11:22 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Your driveway isn't all that long about the size I have off of my long driveway. But that windblown snow is nasty. We had a ton of snow 3 years ago. The plow guy brought in a front end loader on a BIG tractor to move it. The snow at that time was up to the top of the roof of our house! Nice boat you have there, is it a bowrider?

The driveway is about 70 feet. 25 exposed aggregate, 25 feet of  1 inch gravel, then just gravel swale to road.

It is not the length, but the packed snow that kills us!! Only takes about a 2 foot high, 8 foot wide drift, across the driveway, and most vehicles are not getting out. Hard to get a run at it from inside the garage ;-)

We are on the curve, so I keep the area in front cleared about 1/2 way into the swale, for extra parking space.

The rest of the snow has been pushed to a green space, across from us. We asked the bobcat driver to push some there, to help block incoming snow drifts.

The Boat, is a Maxum, yes it is a bowrider. 18ft, V6, my summer toy! :-)

Steve_Cebu

Reply #62   Jan 5, 2011 1:08 am
rubinew wrote:
The driveway is about 70 feet. 25 exposed aggregate, 25 feet of  1 inch gravel, then just gravel swale to road.

It is not the length, but the packed snow that kills us!! Only takes about a 2 foot high, 8 foot wide drift, across the driveway, and most vehicles are not getting out. Hard to get a run at it from inside the garage ;-)

We are on the curve, so I keep the area in front cleared about 1/2 way into the swale, for extra parking space.

The rest of the snow has been pushed to a green space, across from us. We asked the bobcat driver to push some there, to help block incoming snow drifts.

The Boat, is a Maxum, yes it is a bowrider. 18ft, V6, my summer toy! :-)

Gravel driveways are such a PITA! We had one here years ago. What a nightmare to deal with especially with a plow. 70 feet is bigger than my section off of the main driveway but it's like 35+ feet wide.

You are lucky you can push it across the street at my parents house the neighbors did that and my parents couldn't park in the street at all.

Maxum is a decent boat. an 18' is a good summer toy, not so good for the ocean tho. I sold my boat years ago.

2 things about boats

1) You always want a  boat 2 feet bigger than the one you have

2) A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.  

I'd say your Yamaha will be a more practical toy than the boat but a lot slower. But less money poured into it.

rubinew

Reply #63   Jan 5, 2011 1:29 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Gravel driveways are such a PITA! We had one here years ago. What a nightmare to deal with especially with a plow. 70 feet is bigger than my section off of the main driveway but it's like 35+ feet wide.

You are lucky you can push it across the street at my parents house the neighbors did that and my parents couldn't park in the street at all.

Maxum is a decent boat. an 18' is a good summer toy, not so good for the ocean tho. I sold my boat years ago.

2 things about boats

1) You always want a  boat 2 feet bigger than the one you have

2) A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.  

I'd say your Yamaha will be a more practical toy than the boat but a lot slower. But less money poured into it.

Hey Steve,

Yes, the gravel is a pain, once the developer is done with the swale and the road, I am going to see about putting a culvert down, and paving over the swale right up to the road.

If not, then I'll put some crushed gravel, or something that will pack like cement.

I will have to watch the Auger tilt on the new machine, don't want to start chugging a pile of gravel through a new machine! :-)

Yes a boat is a fun toy, I am not near an Ocean, so no worries. I just got the boat in 2008, kids old enough, and we do the seasonal camping thing every weekend.

I like the size of the boat, but like most guys on the water, I sometimes wish it was faster! hee hee Although, on the lake we visit, only maybe 3-5 days a summer it is calm enough to rip!

Yes, the Yamaha will be the new toy, still waiting for a phone call. I have to go to Toronto tomorrow, till Saturday, but I gave the sales guy my cell phone #.

He is only getting 3-4 in, and 2 are already sold. Seems the 928 is more popular than the 624, they had about 1/2 dozen 624s in the showroom.

Shryp

Reply #64   Jan 5, 2011 4:31 am
This is funny.

Every thread starts talking about one thing.

Someone eventually asks for a picture.

After the picture is posted there is more talk about some small item in the background in the corner of the picture than what the original topic was.

The thread never gets back on topic.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #65   Jan 5, 2011 12:16 pm
Shryp wrote:
This is funny.

Every thread starts talking about one thing.

Someone eventually asks for a picture.

After the picture is posted there is more talk about some small item in the background in the corner of the picture than what the original topic was.

The thread never gets back on topic.

Well he didn't buy his Yamaha yet. So what more can you say about a driveway that has been plowed by a Bobcat? The local malls use huge front end loaders to move the snow and pile it up like 30 feet high.

When he is able to post pics of the Yamaha he's getting that will generate more comments.

rubinew

Reply #66   Jan 6, 2011 12:10 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Well he didn't buy his Yamaha yet. So what more can you say about a driveway that has been plowed by a Bobcat? The local malls use huge front end loaders to move the snow and pile it up like 30 feet high.

When he is able to post pics of the Yamaha he's getting that will generate more comments.

I can post a pic, not my own though, waiting....

Steve_Cebu

Reply #67   Jan 12, 2011 8:26 am
Ok I can finally say the Jinx at least here is officially broken. Thanks to all of you who washed and waxed your snowblowers this winter.

In this pic you can just make out some black dashes on the bottom left that is a small fence that's about 11" high and it's still coming down. It doesn't show in the pic because it's a light powderery snow and not big flakes. But it's really coming down. YAY! We will be making more vids this afternoon when it stops.

aa335

Reply #68   Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm
Nice, good amount of snow. I'm still waiting for one of those storms this winter. The last snowfall was a mere 3 inch.
njal

Reply #69   Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm
Looks like your going to have a blast in that nice powder.

I just got done,I'm beat! Did 5 homes.

Had all 3 fired up gave them all some time.The Honda is the champ!

FrankMA

Reply #70   Jan 12, 2011 6:14 pm
I just finished up after 5 hours! 20" the last time I measured (about 12:30 pm) and the snow is still falling. My wife made a nice rabi, sausage and orechetti soup that was delicious after all this hard work.  I'm beat - a little libation and it's off to LaLa land... I'll have to do a quick driveway cleaning tomorrow morning before I head out for the day.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #71   Jan 12, 2011 6:35 pm
aa335 wrote:
Nice, good amount of snow. I'm still waiting for one of those storms this winter. The last snowfall was a mere 3 inch.

We actually have about 20 inches right now! When I started it was 16" at the edge of our door. It was snowing then and it's still coming down out there. We spent 2 hours doing the driveway because it took time to video everything. I can normally do it in 1.5 hours. Lots of videos being uploaded to YouTube right now. I will post links once they are done in another thread. What is interesting is I got a great video of Toro's Power Max Auger System at work! Very cool! I also have a video on just how fast, quick and easy it is to use Toro's joystick controlled quick chute system. Now that was fun! I did eat some of the small fence under the snow.  Lots of EOD vids and my wife did a couple of EOD vids as well. She also was able to pull start the Toro on one pull on her first try! We have a video of that too! So this was a fun snowstorm. I think we could get another 5-6 inches by morning!  

I hope you get some white gold soon!

aa335

Reply #72   Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm
@steve

That is a lot of snow.  Good thing you took advantage of it to take some videos.  Hopefully Toro can use some of the clips for their promotional material.

I like one of those 20 inch snowfall once a while to take out the big Honda and stretch its muscles.  I want the heavy wet snow so that I can hear the engine load up, and enough snow to block in the neighbor's Hummer H2 that never seen dirt but been to Starbucks everyday.  :)  He's got a itty bitty little snowblower.  Can't wait to see him shovel this load.  I've never seen a 200lb 6 foot tall grown man shovel 2 inch of snow in such a wussy manner. 
This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by aa335
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #73   Jan 12, 2011 8:03 pm
Well Steve, at least you share the fun with your videos  & I get to live vicariously through them. Bloody storm passed just south of us again. Didn't get any more than can be handled with a broom. All that washing & waxing didn't help a bit. Maybe I'll get out the leaf blower to get my OPE fix!

Have fun Guys

https://t.me/pump_upp
Steve_Cebu

Reply #74   Jan 12, 2011 8:32 pm
We're glad you are enjoying our vids. I just posted a bunch more on YouTube. I also posted a few links in another thread.

Got some great video, too bad it isn't in Hi-Def!

Sorry to hear that you guys aren't getting any snow. I look forward to seeing your vids when you post them.

Remember if you like them to post a Thumbs up.

Took over 2 hours to do my driveway because of the videos. The plow was nice enough to hit the trash as it was trash day today.

Keep washing and waxing that always makes it snow or rain at least it does in New England!

Paul7

Reply #75   Jan 12, 2011 8:55 pm
GtWtNorth wrote:
Well Steve, at least you share the fun with your videos  & I get to live vicariously through them. Bloody storm passed just south of us again. Didn't get any more than can be handled with a broom. All that washing & waxing didn't help a bit. Maybe I'll get out the leaf blower to get my OPE fix!

Have fun Guys

Or you could get one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvu8HuvSA2s&feature=fvw
rubinew

Reply #76   Jan 12, 2011 9:14 pm
Major snow storm has moved in, blizzard conditions, just ran the Yamaha through 12-16 inches of blown snow, and 30 minutes later, can't tell I was out there!

So tomorrow I expect 2-3 feet of blown snow, at least I get to test out the Yamaha, see if it lives up to my expectations!!

MN_Runner

Reply #77   Jan 12, 2011 9:29 pm
rubinew,

I think the snow gods are granting all of your three wishes: 1) Move you to Canada 2) Buy Yamaha YS928 3) Give you blizzard(s).  Hopefully you didn't have a fourth wish.  Be careful what you wish for.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #78   Jan 12, 2011 10:02 pm
rubinew wrote:
Major snow storm has moved in, blizzard conditions, just ran the Yamaha through 12-16 inches of blown snow, and 30 minutes later, can't tell I was out there!

So tomorrow I expect 2-3 feet of blown snow, at least I get to test out the Yamaha, see if it lives up to my expectations!!

I'm sure it will be awesome! Too bad I'm not closer or I could film it for you.

aa335

Reply #79   Jan 13, 2011 11:25 am
Man, you guys in the east coast are getting some serious snow.  The air here is so dry and we're heading into deep freeze.  I don't' know how else to trick the snow gods except selling off my snowblowers. 
This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #80   Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm
aa335 wrote:
Man, you guys in the east coast are getting some serious snow.  The air here is so dry and we're heading into deep freeze.  I don't' know how else to trick the snow gods except selling off my snowblowers. 

Actually we are getting far less snow than we normally do and it's fairly powdery which is most unusual.

If washing and waxing doesn't work, for certain working on it where it might not be possible to put it back together in time will often work. Any of "Murpheys Laws" will usually work.

aa335

Reply #81   Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Actually we are getting far less snow than we normally do and it's fairly powdery which is most unusual.

If washing and waxing doesn't work, for certain working on it where it might not be possible to put it back together in time will often work. Any of "Murpheys Laws" will usually work.

Ok that gives me an idea. I think I'll take the other snowblower apart and thoroughly clean it with toothpicks and cotton swabs. :) maybe I'll adjust the valves and hone the cylinder walls.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #82   Jan 13, 2011 3:22 pm
aa335 wrote:
Ok that gives me an idea. I think I'll take the other snowblower apart and thoroughly clean it with toothpicks and cotton swabs. :) maybe I'll adjust the valves and hone the cylinder walls.

Are you crazy?! You'll get 4 feet of snow if you do that!   

aa335

Reply #83   Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Are you crazy?! You'll get 4 feet of snow if you do that!   

That's fine.  It's the 12 year old little red one that's I'm taking apart.  Big red is would love 4 foot snow, all I ask is two foot.  Just enough to shut down the town for a day or two.  Big red doesn't mind taking on a mouthful and more.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #84   Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm
Well I'd say the Jinx is officially over for us in the NorthEast. We are slated to get at least 10 inches between Tues morning and Wed night. It could be more! If we get much more we'll try and send some of it to our more snow deprived States.

aa335

Reply #85   Jan 31, 2011 4:44 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Well I'd say the Jinx is officially over for us in the NorthEast. We are slated to get at least 10 inches between Tues morning and Wed night. It could be more! If we get much more we'll try and send some of it to our more snow deprived States.

Actually, we're slated to get 12" inches and blizzard condition.  So bad that one of my wife's co-worker have asked about spending the night at our house after work.  What can I say?  NO?

On the negative side, that co-worker's car will be parked on our driveway, taking away 80 sq feet of snowblowing opportunity.
FrankMA

Reply #86   Jan 31, 2011 6:08 pm
The weather crowd is talking between 12" - 24" of snow between the 2 storms slated for here over the next 3 days. 4" - 6" tomorrow and another 12" - 18" on Wednesday into Thursday. It looks like a "Cat in the Hat" story book cover around these parts with all the heavy storms we've been getting. I'm glad I live in the woods as I at least have plenty of room to deposit the vast amounts of snow we've been inundated with as of late. I was down toward the Boston area today and there is no room for any more snow. The front end loaders were clearing major roadways and emergency routes to make way for the next round of winter weather. It's like being in a tunnel of snow when you travel through some areas because the snowbanks are so high. My new to me Honda HS928TA is definitely getting a good workout this winter and is performing as would be expected!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #87   Jan 31, 2011 7:29 pm
aa335 wrote:
Actually, we're slated to get 12" inches and blizzard condition.  So bad that one of my wife's co-worker have asked about spending the night at our house after work.  What can I say?  NO?

On the negative side, that co-worker's car will be parked on our driveway, taking away 80 sq feet of snowblowing opportunity.

Well at least you are getting some snow compared to before. The people in the city have nowhere to put it. Just think when she novesher car how well you'll be able to clean it up! I can cut withing 6-8 inches on my wifes car when she's parked. So not much to clean afterwards. My wife hates being out of work, she's paid hourly.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #88   Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm
FrankMA wrote:
The weather crowd is talking between 12" - 24" of snow between the 2 storms slated for here over the next 3 days. 4" - 6" tomorrow and another 12" - 18" on Wednesday into Thursday. It looks like a "Cat in the Hat" story book cover around these parts with all the heavy storms we've been getting. I'm glad I live in the woods as I at least have plenty of room to deposit the vast amounts of snow we've been inundated with as of late. I was down toward the Boston area today and there is no room for any more snow. The front end loaders were clearing major roadways and emergency routes to make way for the next round of winter weather. It's like being in a tunnel of snow when you travel through some areas because the snowbanks are so high. My new to me Honda HS928TA is definitely getting a good workout this winter and is performing as would be expected!

FrankMA, you sure seem to get all the snow where you live. Are you out in the Berkshires? We get about 1/2 of what you've gotten. I'll agree it does look like the cover of a Dr. Suess book.

Here they'll only say we are going to get 3-5" tomorrow. Likely we will get much more than that where I am. Like you we have a lot of room to put the snow. Boston is a nightmare, and this next storm will really sock it. I hope we get 18" on Wed that would be great!

aa335

Reply #89   Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Well at least you are getting some snow compared to before. The people in the city have nowhere to put it. Just think when she novesher car how well you'll be able to clean it up! I can cut withing 6-8 inches on my wifes car when she's parked. So not much to clean afterwards. My wife hates being out of work, she's paid hourly.

Well, I just hope she cleans her car before I snowblow, not afterwards.  :)
FrankMA

Reply #90   Feb 1, 2011 6:49 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
FrankMA, you sure seem to get all the snow where you live. Are you out in the Berkshires? We get about 1/2 of what you've gotten. I'll agree it does look like the cover of a Dr. Suess book.

Here they'll only say we are going to get 3-5" tomorrow. Likely we will get much more than that where I am. Like you we have a lot of room to put the snow. Boston is a nightmare, and this next storm will really sock it. I hope we get 18" on Wed that would be great!

Steve_Cebu: I live just south of you (guessing you live in central NH) in the Merrimack Valley along the MA/NH border. The weather babe on our local channel 5 is calling for up to 23" in my area because of the colder temps in the valley but most of the other weather folks are saying anywhere from 12" - 16". Guess we'll have to wait and see just how good they are in their forecasting abilities. I've got 5 gallons of fresh fuel and a full tank of gas in my HS928TA so I'm loaded for bear. They're now calling for 4" - 8" today and who knows how much tomorrow, should be interesting though....
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by FrankMA

FrankMA

Reply #91   Feb 3, 2011 6:55 am
Well it has finally stopped snowing here after 2 days. I'd say we ended up with about 18" or so between the 2 back to back storms. I've got about 3' of snowpack on the ground and my driveway is beginning to look more like a tunnel as each storm comes and goes. They're calling for another substantial storm this Saturday afternoon so we'll have to see what that brings. We seem to be getting a storm at least once a week (typically on Wednesday for some reason) so a Saturday storm will be a welcome change I guess....

Steve_Cebu

Reply #92   Feb 3, 2011 8:19 am
FrankMA wrote:
Well it has finally stopped snowing here after 2 days. I'd say we ended up with about 18" or so between the 2 back to back storms. I've got about 3' of snowpack on the ground and my driveway is beginning to look more like a tunnel as each storm comes and goes. They're calling for another substantial storm this Saturday afternoon so we'll have to see what that brings. We seem to be getting a storm at least once a week (typically on Wednesday for some reason) so a Saturday storm will be a welcome change I guess....

Hi FrankMA it sounds like you live near Lawrence or Haverhill in that general area. That's not that far from me. We only got about 13 inches this last storm, of course a lot of that went into the trees and will come down later.

I wonder if Saturday will be really bad. I need to pick up a few gallons of gas.  I have areas next to the house that are so built up that I'll have to blow the snow the other way. My wife wants to be able to use teh snowblower so if it's on the weekend she'll be able to.

FrankMA

Reply #93   Feb 3, 2011 11:59 am
Hi Steve_Cebu: I live in North Andover right in between Lawrence and Haverhill - good guess! The weather guru's are calling for 6" on Saturday afternoon and someone just told me there's another storm brewing for Monday/Tuesday.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #94   Feb 3, 2011 12:23 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Hi Steve_Cebu: I live in North Andover right in between Lawrence and Haverhill - good guess! The weather guru's are calling for 6" on Saturday afternoon and someone just told me there's another storm brewing for Monday/Tuesday.

I know that area real well, used to live in that area years ago. We used to eat at the China Blossom back when the food was still good. We still stop by Harrisons when we are in the area as they have the best Roast Beef around.

This is one storm I'm hoping passes us by as we want to go to the SCCA RallyX they are having up at NED. We are thinking of doing RallyX next year. If it's a small storm that's ok but if it's too much they'll cancel.

This is what happens when everyone washes and waxes their snowblowers and doesn't want any snow.

Replies: 1 - 94 of 94View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42