Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Anybody have ideas on how to modify a smooth auger into an ice eating serrated auger?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DGOJeff

Anybody have ideas on how to modify a smooth auger into an ice eating serrated auger?
Original Message   Jan 25, 2010 4:39 pm
I have the snow blower attachment for the DR Field and Brush mower. It wasn't working too well until I did a tune up: changed oil and filter, went with 5w30 for the winter, new plugs, cleaned the carb and adjusted it slightly richer. At least now it does not stall under load. I know it's only single stage, but where it seems to be lacking is chewing up the packed snow from the driveway apron and on my deck where it piles up after sliding off the roof. I am thinking there are two options to modify the auger: 1) cut into the auger and bend pieces alternating slightly left and right or 2) weld on small pieces of similar steel to the sides of the smooth auger. What do people think? Any design ideas? Other mods that I would like to do is to setup a joystick with electric actuators to move the chute left and right, as well as, up and down. Anyone have plans to do that? Thanks. Jeff
Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Justsomeguy

Re: Anybody have ideas on how to modify a smooth auger into an ice eating serrated auger?
Reply #5   Jan 26, 2010 4:39 pm
I have an Ariens 921001 8Hp blower. I tried to "chew up" a boulder of coagulated Ice-slush the plow rolled into the driveway. It was 24" in diameter and couldnt be lifted.
Broke one shear pin, bent the other.
Be careful!
Tony
DGOJeff

Re: Anybody have ideas on how to modify a smooth auger into an ice eating serrated auger?
Reply #6   Jan 26, 2010 4:56 pm
Well, I don't actually use the blower to plow the driveway. That's what the ford 1700 tractor with blade and front end loader are for. The blower is to clean in front of the garage doors so the plow can get close enough and to clear the deck. So, I don't foresee hitting any chunks of ice like that. With my old craftsman, I went through plenty of shear pins since I had a gravel (rock) driveway. That was replaced with lots of concrete when the garage was built.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #7   Jan 26, 2010 6:27 pm
DGOJeff wrote:
Well, I don't actually use the blower to plow the driveway. That's what the ford 1700 tractor with blade and front end loader are for. The blower is to clean in front of the garage doors so the plow can get close enough and to clear the deck. So, I don't foresee hitting any chunks of ice like that. With my old craftsman, I went through plenty of shear pins since I had a gravel (rock) driveway. That was replaced with lots of concrete when the garage was built.

Well my Toro 1028 chews right into those berms created by the plows at least they did when they plowed this driveway. Chews right into it and spits it out with a vengeance! Maybe you could get a used Toro blade or a new one and modify it to fit your current machine?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
DGOJeff

Reply #8   Jan 26, 2010 11:16 pm
Do you have any close-up pictures of the Toro auger design? I'm not sure I could retrofit it to my blower, it seems like this auger is pretty custom. The chain drive on my auger is on the right hand side, there is no gear box in the middle like most blowers. Thanks to all for the ideas.
borat

Reply #9   Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm
How about taking a hand held grinder and cutting some teeth into the augers? Just don't go too deep.
Underdog

Reply #10   Jan 27, 2010 11:01 pm
Yamaha's new snowblowers have some serious ice eating capacity. Check out the teeth on this beast:

This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by Underdog

sscotsman

Reply #11   Jan 30, 2010 6:43 pm
You should also consider the distinct possibilty that serrated augers are simply a fad, and serve no real useful purpose..

The snowblower was pretty much perfected by 1970..
since then, there has been no serious room for improvement to the basic design..
so, like any other product, you have to try to invent new ways to make your brand seem better, or more modern, than the competition, by adding little nick-knacks or gimmicks..
then, if people actually buy into your sales pitch, all your competitors must also add the same "improvement" and pretty soon all machines have the same completely unnecessary fad feature..

IMO, this is probably what serrated augers are..
snowblowers have been working perfectly fine without serrated augers for 40 years..

and yes, even with the serrated augers, most snowblowers probably cant handle much serious ice..they just arent designed for it..
so the serrated augers are probably, IMO, just for show..
a sales gimmick..

Scot
This message was modified Jan 30, 2010 by sscotsman
Underdog

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2010 8:21 pm
sscotsman wrote:
You should also consider the distinct possibilty that serrated augers are simply a fad, and serve no real useful purpose..

iScot

I would agree with this statement based on my experience.  Maybe someone with  a different perspective could shed some light on the practicality of serrated augers?

Is there any reason at all for them to be there other than marketing.  Maybe I just live in a part of North America where they are not useful.  Do they dig better into compacted snow mounds piled and frozen around the mailbox?

This message was modified Feb 1, 2010 by Underdog

borat

Reply #13   Feb 1, 2010 8:27 pm
Serrated augers might have some use in gnawing at hard packed, wind blown snow drifts. I've experienced some drifted snow so hard that I had to bust it with a shovel just to get it to feed into the snow thrower. However, that's very uncommon and I doubt that the serrations would be all that advantageous. Been so long since I've had a snow thrower without them that I really can't recall.
Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42