Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Snow Throwers - Advice?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PaleGreen

Craftsman Snow Throwers - Advice?
Original Message   Oct 5, 2005 10:57 am
Are the Sears Craftsman snow throwers any good? I'm looking for a quality two-stage unit with Briggs and Stratton power. These are the two models I'm considering:

$1200 - 88115 - 11.5 Intek, 30", steel chute, power steering, extra bells and whistles
$800 - 88195 - 9.5 PowerBuilt, 29", plastic chute

Is the top one worth the extra dough? How much of a difference is there between the Intek and PowerBuilt? Are there comparable models in my price range from other manufacturers?

My info:
Annual snowfall: 50" (Usually several large storms)
Property: Gravel driveway - approx. 80' long x 2 cars wide. Also - 20' gravel walkway.

Since it's my first winter on a new private road, I don't know what to expect in terms of plowing. It's possible I'll need to clear a 100' car-width path to the main road.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
dozlert

Re: Craftsman Snow Throwers - Advice?
Reply #1   Oct 5, 2005 1:03 pm
I like that first one...it was just on sale and is the same as the Husq/Poulan model.  Looks good quality and that engine is a keeper compared to the Tec and L heads.  The snowblower is actually contracted out to Electrolux...welds are strong and clean.  It seems like a great snowblower.  I almost bought one, folks convinced me I didn't need so much so I went with a 8 hp toro...I do like the stick, but mine doesn't have the steering.
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #2   Oct 5, 2005 1:12 pm
Of the two models, the 88195 is a simpler design with the controls.

The most troblesome problem ive seen is the remote controlls on the pannels not working properly. it still meats my criteria for heavy snow removal, and with a 50" average you get decent snowfall, but your not Buffalo type snowfall. The 9.5 will move the snow without a problem.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Garandman

Reply #3   Oct 9, 2005 10:27 am
Simplicity and Snapper make B&S powered units but cost more.

The newer Craftsman blowers, made by AYP,  don't have a great reputation but do blow snow and are pretty cheap.  If you hunt around you should be able to find one of the AYP brands to be the cheapest new two stage units made.

I have a 1970 Ariens and have been able to buy any parts required at the local dealer. All the maintenance parts like belts, bushings, and bearings were in stock. As Sears changes vendors regularly (older units were made by Murray and had an excellent reputation) getting parts from them doesn't seem to be fun but most are common to the other AYP brands.
singercs

Reply #4   Oct 27, 2005 12:28 pm
I have a 1987 sears craftsman 8 /28 blower that is one owner and this machine is a very good old blower, this year I installed an impeller shaft, impeller, impeller bearing, auger shaft and belt pully.

this was the first major repairs to this machine since new, the unit is clearing my drive which is 300' long.

other than a tune up every year the machine is still running like new.

hopefully I can keep it running for another 18odd years.

the parts were all readly available through Sears and were all bought for under 400.00.

Garandman

Reply #5   Oct 27, 2005 9:16 pm
Many of the older snowblowers made for Sears were made by Murray, considered a very good manufacturer.
The newer ones are made by MTD, and not considered t obe very good by most people.

Simplicity and Snapper both use B&S OHV engines.
Ariesn and Toro, who together have the largest market share, use Tecumseh, since B&S owns several of their competitors.
Mosto folks consider the difference betwen the Tecumseh and B&S OHV engies to be minimal.
I bought a B&S Intek Snow as a replacement simply because it was about $50 cheaper at the time.
singercs

Reply #6   Oct 28, 2005 6:43 am
I was wondering who made this machine due to it being built like a tank.

Is Murry still in business?

Majorxlr8n

Reply #7   Oct 28, 2005 12:25 pm
singercs wrote:
I was wondering who made this machine due to it being built like a tank.

Is Murry still in business?

Murray was bought out by Briggs & Stratton. They are NOT currently offering any new products that I'm aware of...

To determine the Sears manufacturer: Look at the machine's tag at the lower left at the rear of the machine. If the model number starts with "536" it was made by Murray. If it begins with "247", its made by MTD.

Marty

singercs

Reply #8   Oct 28, 2005 3:13 pm
Thanks, it was made by Murray..
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #9   Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm
The new  more expensive Craftsman snow blowers that are built by Husqvarna (AYP) are very high quality . They have strong welds,good engineering design,  have well designed ,logical controls, heated grips and power steering. Also a hydrostatic transmission is standard in some models.  Some of the lower priced  Craftsman snow blowers are built by MTD. I would recommend to get one that has a Briggs and Stratton  engine as other engines are in some models.

Bill_H

Reply #10   Feb 22, 2011 7:22 pm
Come on already! this is a 6 year old thread!

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42