Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Looking for a lightweight

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
jkbmmv

Looking for a lightweight
Original Message   Nov 30, 2011 4:08 am
Ignoring my other post about canisters, I am looking for a Christmas gift for Mom.. She is getting older now and is having trouble in the strength department... She still lugs her Kirby g3 around the house, but is wanting something for the downstairs bedrooms... After listening to her describe what she hates about all of the vacuums I have brought to her here is what I need to find:

A bypass upright with the motor in the head and not the neck, no on board attachments and has the ability to go under beds..

Does such an animal exist? I'd give her my oreck that I have but the brush roll is so soft compared to the others that it really won't separate the nap and clean the floors...

Thanks in advanced!

Joshua
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Looking for a lightweight
Reply #8   Dec 4, 2011 1:00 pm
jkbmmv wrote:
Don't let the 3 jobs fool you. I don't have the patience to do anything for too long of a time. They are all part time jobs throughout the week to just give a bit of variety. If I had just one full time job I'd go nuts doing the same thing over and over.

Now, as far as what I was looking for with this, I had 3 Windsor XP12 machines and she didn't like them because there was too much weight on the handle when she used them. Same with my Simplicity 6 series. She had a few wal-mart specials that she bought and didn't like them because they had everything on the neck/bodies and they were heavy. When I brought the supralite she actually seemed intrigued.. I think our only complaint about the machine _is_ the noise... Why would they make the machines so noisy? I mean since they are direct air machines the exhaust goes through the bag so why can't the motors be a bit more muffled? If I remember correctly, I had a post a few years ago about this very issue with commercial orecks... I wonder if a bit of dynamat on the underside of the housing would help? I guess its just a concern with her house because the noise actually echos... Oh well, I have until the middle of January to return the machine if its not tolerable.

As far as the Miele machines, I thought the s7 was the *only* actually made-in-house machine? Not that I wouldn't mind having an s7 upright if I had more carpets, but still? I did actually look at Miele first before I went with the Riccar... The prices really weren't much different, but I am wondering if this is gonna be like the whole Dyson thing, a European vacuum sold in America.. Now to my other post for the remainder of this post...

Well if your mom doesn't like the XP12, she's going to hate the Miele S7. Too bulky, too big and its quite a chore turning the handle from left to right. Early models in the UK suffered from handles breaking off.
jkbmmv

Reply #9   Dec 7, 2011 2:28 am
Lol, no, I wanted the s7. I thought they were impressive machines when they came out.. But then again, I liked the xp12... :/

Joshua
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Dec 7, 2011 1:27 pm
What about the Sebo Felix or its commercial twin, the Windsor Axxcess?

hooverman

Reply #11   Dec 26, 2011 8:38 pm
Hoover WindTunnel Air

XXX VortecCyclonic (a. k. a. Hoover WindTunnel "killer")

Bissell Easy Vac

Eureka Litespeed (Comes either bagged or bagless)

All have on-board tools

This message was modified Dec 26, 2011 by hooverman
vacmanuk

Reply #12   Dec 27, 2011 5:20 pm
hooverman wrote:
Hoover WindTunnel Air

XXX VortecCyclonic (a. k. a. Hoover WindTunnel "killer")

Bissell Easy Vac

Eureka Litespeed (Comes either bagged or bagless)

All have on-board tools

Out of all of them, the Hoover Windtunnel Air is going to be longer lasting on the filtration factor - I know, I have tried them all - the Eureka Litespeed is far from "Lite," and needs plenty of screws to undo if the belt breaks and came to the UK under the name of Electrolux Glider Bagless Z5740. The Windtunnel Air is similar to the Vax Mach Air I own - its very plasticky but the U.S get a standard extra long hose that we have to pay out for - it's the most modern vac out of the three listed here and has a lifetime belt as well as brush roll on/off function and washable filters. I had forgotten all about the Air model to be honest.

The Bissell Easy Vac is far from easy - easy to push yes but removal of the dust cartridge and secondary filters are messy - emptying isn't a chore but putting everything back can be - and like the Eureka/Electrolux, has a paper cone that needs to be brushed clean to keep the suction from weakening. Also uses belts that have to be replaced and no brush stop function.
imot

Reply #13   Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm
Hi, I was considering the very same factors when buying a vacuum cleaner for my mom. Unfortunately similar factors are true for the health department so when choosing was making sure that the operation and the transportation of the appliance will be effortless. Wanted to make sure she doesn't have to bend down to pull the electricity plug every time she leaves a room and enters a new one, also the vacuum cleaner itself had to be as light as possible. After long research and product review reading sessions I settled with the Hoover Linx cordless vacuum cleaner which satisfies all the previously set needs just fine. My mother also likes it, however she is telling me that the battery doesn't last so long and she thinks it lost from it's battery life some more since we bought it. Will buy a new battery when the battery life drops so much, that she can't finish vacuuming the house in one charge.
This message was modified Apr 25, 2012 by a moderator
vacmanuk

Reply #14   Apr 25, 2012 8:47 pm
Glad you found something at last!
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #15   Apr 25, 2012 10:29 pm
imot wrote:
Hi, I was considering the very same factors when buying a vacuum cleaner for my mom. Unfortunately similar factors are true for the health department so when choosing was making sure that the operation and the transportation of the appliance will be effortless. Wanted to make sure she doesn't have to bend down to pull the electricity plug every time she leaves a room and enters a new one, also the vacuum cleaner itself had to be as light as possible. After long research and product review reading sessions I settled with the Hoover Linx cordless vacuum cleaner which satisfies all the previously set needs just fine. My mother also likes it, however she is telling me that the battery doesn't last so long and she thinks it lost from it's battery life some more since we bought it. Will buy a new battery when the battery life drops so much, that she can't finish vacuuming the house in one charge.

What I suggest when someone purchases a battery operated "stickvac" is to purchase an extra battery.  In this way, the user can change the battery and continue vacuuming, while the other battery is being charged.  There is no need to wait for a fully charged battery.  I have no idea of how large your mother's home is, so cannot judge if she needs an extra battery.  I also have no idea of the age of her HOOVER Linx.

For future info, there are some pretty good lightweight upright vacuum cleaners w/long cords.
TheodoreRivera

Reply #16   Jun 27, 2014 8:11 am
Oreck Magnesium can be the best for your mom as it is light weight but it is very good for removing trapped dirt and pet hair from carpet. it is good to carry and you can easily handle it.
CountVacula

Reply #17   Dec 26, 2014 1:18 am
Curious if you considered any canister vacuums? All she would have to handle is the weight of the wand and a powered floor brush, which is going to be less than that of any upright. The primary weight sits on the floor and rolls around on wheels. Just a thought.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42