Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "Made in China" --A Rant.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just


Joined: Nov 28, 2007
Points: 172

"Made in China" --A Rant.
Original Message   May 6, 2011 8:37 am
A few weeks ago I stopped at our local Kirby dealer to pick up some bags for my Ultimate G.  After paying the $28.49 for 9 Micro-Magic bags I noticed that the bottom of the package read "Made in China from American made materials".  WTH.

When I got home I looked at the old package and it clearly says "Made in the U.S.A"

How could this have happened?  My American designed machine is a "globally sourced" machine, and the bags are "Made in China"

I called back to the dealer and advised that I would have given another $2-$3 for the bags if they were American, an was told that Kirby sold their equipment and all the bags are now "global".  Mr. Buffett, is this how you re-energize America, by sending the business and jobs to China.

--Rant over, you may discuss.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 16NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk


Location: Scotland UK
Joined: May 31, 2009
Points: 1162

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #1   May 6, 2011 5:13 pm
Id rather not discuss. If the state of affairs these days is to rubbish everything China makes by American citizens, then it is a very sad affair and one that smacks of hypocrits. I've said it now and I've said it before - the PC you use everyday and the technology you depend on has probably been made in Asia, regardless of China, India or anywhere else. End of the day, cheap factories are where Asia has held it's foot in and the U.S and the U.K are quite happy to exploit the bases for factory set ups when they are far more expensive to do on home turf, as well as higher overheads and outsourcing departments. Brands are just being cost effective, whether over charging the consumer or lending value for money is totally up to them and has very little to do with how much the actual cost of the product is before it leaves the factory in China.
mole


.

Location: earth
Joined: Sep 30, 2007
Points: 782

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #2   May 7, 2011 8:44 am
Hi Just.

This has been going on since the 2002/03.

And Kirby is not the only one......

Regards

MOLE

Just


Joined: Nov 28, 2007
Points: 172

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #3   May 10, 2011 8:58 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Id rather not discuss. If the state of affairs these days is to rubbish everything China makes by American citizens, then it is a very sad affair and one that smacks of hypocrits.

I am sorry Vacmanuk,

I did not mean to sound like a hypocrit, cause I'm not.    I'm not even saying the bags I purchased are not the same quality as the ones previous.  What I, as an American, am saying is when we have one of the richest men in the country, maybe the world telling us how to get back on track, and then send the business from his companies to another country; i feel he is looking after only the bucks in his pocket and not the country he keeps trying to give advice to.

Not only is most of the crap we get from China just that CRAP, but it is produced cheaper because they employ in many cases forced labor, and child labor.  And they turn their profits for their companies on the backs of their workers.  Children that work an 18 hour day and as a reward gets to choose two carrots from the pile as they go home.  Now you can praise this if you like, fill your home with Haeier appliances, and bow to your neighbor because we are being sold out.

Kirby is on a slippery slope, First it's the bags, then the motor, and the next thing you know TTI tell Berkshire they can produce the Kirby cheaper in China and that's all she wrote.

vacmanuk


Location: Scotland UK
Joined: May 31, 2009
Points: 1162

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #4   May 10, 2011 2:00 pm
Just wrote:
I am sorry Vacmanuk,

I did not mean to sound like a hypocrit, cause I'm not.    I'm not even saying the bags I purchased are not the same quality as the ones previous.  What I, as an American, am saying is when we have one of the richest men in the country, maybe the world telling us how to get back on track, and then send the business from his companies to another country; i feel he is looking after only the bucks in his pocket and not the country he keeps trying to give advice to.

Not only is most of the crap we get from China just that CRAP, but it is produced cheaper because they employ in many cases forced labor, and child labor.  And they turn their profits for their companies on the backs of their workers.  Children that work an 18 hour day and as a reward gets to choose two carrots from the pile as they go home.  Now you can praise this if you like, fill your home with Haeier appliances, and bow to your neighbor because we are being sold out.

Kirby is on a slippery slope, First it's the bags, then the motor, and the next thing you know TTI tell Berkshire they can produce the Kirby cheaper in China and that's all she wrote.


Yes, but you forget China is part of Asia, Asia is not a western continent - therefore cheap labour/slave labour is something these countries have endured. Same applies to the fact that most women stay at home. men go out to work. Western companies have set up in ASIA because of it, even if they are against cheap labour, the cost of selling/purchasing & importing is cheaper "in roads" than manufacturing on home turf. Regardless of what "westerners think," the Asian workforce may be forced to work under what we class as "poor" conditions - but on the other side of the coin, Asians are hard workers, proved to be better engineers and in skilled areas of work. They also have a huge support for family; very few divorces and health wise very few heart/obesity and cancer problems. Major health problems that both blight the UK and the US.

Also I wouldn't say everything in China is crap - a lot of the Apple hardware is made in China and I'm all for it - I adore Apple products - and it took me a long while to see that Apple were better than a PC in so many respects.
This message was modified May 10, 2011 by vacmanuk
Just


Joined: Nov 28, 2007
Points: 172

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #5   May 10, 2011 4:21 pm
Sorry Vacmanuk,

I was only meaning to make a statement, not get into a debate.  However, if one will take the time to look in the English Dictionary they will see that Most, and Everything do not mean the same.   If one is trying to twist another's words to make their point.  Not playing nice.

M00seUK


Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Points: 295

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #6   May 10, 2011 6:28 pm
Just wrote:
Sorry Vacmanuk,

I was only meaning to make a statement, not get into a debate.  However, if one will take the time to look in the English Dictionary they will see that Most, and Everything do not mean the same.   If one is trying to twist another's words to make their point.  Not playing nice.


With the greatest respect, if you want to make a statement, print it on a t-shirt.

If you post it to a on-line discussion forum, it's up for discussion.
Just


Joined: Nov 28, 2007
Points: 172

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #7   May 11, 2011 8:55 am
Sorry Moose

I wrote a long response, but felt it wasn't worth it. 

Having T-shirts printed today.

"Take care of your own first."  "Keep jobs and factories in the U.S." 

I Will send you one as soon as I can find a textile and screen printer in this country.

HARDSELL


Joined: Aug 22, 2007
Points: 1293

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #8   May 11, 2011 3:21 pm
Just wrote:
Sorry Moose

I wrote a long response, but felt it wasn't worth it. 

Having T-shirts printed today.

"Take care of your own first."  "Keep jobs and factories in the U.S." 

I Will send you one as soon as I can find a textile and screen printer in this country.


The shirt will likely be made in Taiwan.

It is sad that a great country as the USA has given way to the greedy corporate whores in the USA.  Those living in lesser capable countries are less concerned since they are already lower down the chain.
vacmanuk


Location: Scotland UK
Joined: May 31, 2009
Points: 1162

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #9   May 11, 2011 8:10 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
The shirt will likely be made in Taiwan.

It is sad that a great country as the USA has given way to the greedy corporate whores in the USA.  Those living in lesser capable countries are less concerned since they are already lower down the chain.

Here, try this: http://www.usstuff.com/shirttee.htm

Apparently it's all American made.
Venson


Joined: Jul 23, 2007
Points: 1900

Re: "Made in China" --A Rant.
Reply #10   Jun 7, 2011 11:41 am
Make it in Europe and a vacuum costs a small fortune.  (Quality comes at a high price you know.)  Make it in China and the price is more attractive and no matter what it is an attractive price will usually win out.

After several grueling weeks of doing vacuum demos at a major retailer I have learned that the whole thing is about the buyers.  Everybody wants a wonderful machince BUT they do not want ot pay the price for "wonderful."  What I've seen are everyday day people hitting the vacuum aisle and -- seeing all vacuums as equal in their minds -- they head for the cheapest priced models they see.  I seldom matters how much efficiency, durability, convenience or length of warranty are stressed many shoppers remain unconvinced about buying.

It would be snotty of me to dismiss the like as bearers of poor man's mentality and possibly wrong becuase these are teh same people who'll go whole hog for screen TV.  Thus, I can only assume that vacuums are considered as less necessary.

Nonetheless, I maintain that the "China thing" is a problem that we, collectively speaking, made.    Also this problem did not start with China.  Since the 1960s when manufactures began seeing the saving in availing themselves of cheap labor in other parts of the world and that non-thinking consumers would say yes to buying.

Riccar/Simplicity, Aerus and Oreck I believe are the last holdouts save for certain vacuumsand  items that we may consider American-made but their prices are formidable.  Nevertheless, there must be a push by shoppers that insists upon affordable nationally-made product.  I lay no blame on the manufacturers or China -- just us.  If you're either striving to hold onto your money or keep your virture -- keep your legs crossed and slap the hand on your knee.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 10 of 16NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2020 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42