Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Original Message   Feb 21, 2011 12:24 am
Today I took my Bissell deep cleaner (the commercial grade "BigGreen" Rug Doctor killer) to my parents house to do some carpet cleaning as a favor. I get there, use their Dyson DC14 to vacuum everything first, then went about carpet cleaning. Throughout the process, I noticed clumps of cat hair and carpet fibers trailing behind the Bissell on the forward passes. This led me to believe that the huge brushbar on the Bissell big green was picking up stuff the Dyson was leaving behind. Since the Dyson is seven years old at this point, do you think that it is in dire need of a brush roll replacement, belt replacement, or both? In the case of having the belt replaced along with the brushroll, I'm assuming that my parents would have to take it to a repair center since they do not have the special tools for taking the clutch apart and slipping the belt in and out. How much would such a replacement job with parts and labor generally run for? Thanks, Keith
This message was modified Feb 21, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 7 - 16 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Clumps of carpet fiber/pet hair left behind by deep cleaner.
Reply #7   Feb 22, 2011 7:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Interesting vacmanuk that you mention this.  I think dyson does a very good job walking its users through a step by step process of servicing and trouble shooting its products.  But .....nowhere in any of its web site narratives does dyson mention this dirt path channel.  No where.  An obvious stumpling block for rug suction if clogged.  Glad you mentioned this. Maybe a dyson employee/web site person will notice this exchange and add the step to its site.

Carmine D.

Well I dont know about you guys but in the UK, Dyson's 5 year guarantee only affects a few models and I'm not sure the DC17 has that kind of warranty. Given that the vacuum is old, 7 years old infact, best to inspect it, taking time and patience rather than pay out.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Feb 22, 2011 8:01 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well I dont know about you guys but in the UK, Dyson's 5 year guarantee only affects a few models and I'm not sure the DC17 has that kind of warranty. Given that the vacuum is old, 7 years old infact, best to inspect it, taking time and patience rather than pay out.

Hello Vacmanuk:

DC17 rolled out in the US in Feb 2007.  It's still on the US dyson web site with an MSRP of $449, just the All Floors model, and comes with a 5 year limited warranty.  No longer an Absolute Animal for $549 in the USA as before.  DC17 has been discontinued in the UK, I presume, because it no longer appears on the UK dyson web site.  I've heard rumors the same fate will befall DC17 in the USA, it will be scrubbed.

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #9   Feb 24, 2011 12:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

DC17 rolled out in the US in Feb 2007.  It's still on the US dyson web site with an MSRP of $449, just the All Floors model, and comes with a 5 year limited warranty.  No longer an Absolute Animal for $549 in the USA as before.  DC17 has been discontinued in the UK, I presume, because it no longer appears on the UK dyson web site.  I've heard rumors the same fate will befall DC17 in the USA, it will be scrubbed.

Carmine D.

The DC17 was never available in the UK, it was designed for the USA market only. Like the DC28 thats not available here in the UK. DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Feb 24, 2011 12:13 pm
DC18 wrote:
The DC17 was never available in the UK, it was designed for the USA market only. Like the DC28 thats not available here in the UK. DC18

That's not the issue here - sorry - but interesting to know and also to further know that the DC17 has a bigger roller barrel suitable for Americans, thus justifying its existence.. The original response infers to how much warranty the DC17 has in the U.S since it is already 7 years old. If its different in the U.S then the Dyson should considerably be able to be repaired by the owner without necessitating the use of an official Dyson call out which may cost the owner more.
DC18

Reply #11   Feb 24, 2011 12:16 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
That's not the issue here - sorry - but interesting to know and also to further know that the DC17 has a bigger roller barrel suitable for Americans, thus justifying its existence.. The original response infers to how much warranty the DC17 has in the U.S since it is already 7 years old. If its different in the U.S then the Dyson should considerably be able to be repaired by the owner without necessitating the use of an official Dyson call out which may cost the owner more.

I know it's not the issue I was just letting CarmineD know that the DC17 was never available in the UK from what he said in his post. DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #12   Feb 24, 2011 12:22 pm
DC18 wrote:
I know it's not the issue I was just letting CarmineD know that the DC17 was never available in the UK from what he said in his post. DC18

Sorry DC18 - so, whats the Dyson warranty like in the U.S? Are the UK buyers better off?
CarmineD

Reply #13   Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Sorry DC18 - so, whats the Dyson warranty like in the U.S? Are the UK buyers better off?

Hello DC18 & Vacmanuk:

Thanks for the message exchange and clarification on DC17 in UK. 

WRT dyson warranty in USA, all models sold from April 2002 through August 15, 2006 came with 2 year limited warranty, including the handhelds.  All dyson models sold in the USA after August 15, 2006 come with 5 year limited warranty except handhelds and DC35 Slim.  Latter have 2 year limited warranty.  Remanufactured dysons sold in the USA from dyson regardless of model have 6 month limited warranty.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2011 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #14   Feb 24, 2011 2:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18 & Vacmanuk:

Thanks for the message exchange and clarification on DC17 in UK. 

WRT dyson warranty in USA, all models sold from April 2002 through August 15, 2006 came with 2 year limited warranty, including the handhelds.  All dyson models sold in the USA after August 15, 2006 come with 5 year limited warranty except handhelds and DC35 Slim.  Latter have 2 year limited warranty.  Remanufactured dysons sold in the USA from dyson regardless of model have 6 month limited warranty.

Carmine D.

Thanks for that info, Carmine. So what happens if you get a seller or repairer who reconditions the vacuum, i.e. cleans it up, maybe fits a new motor and sells it at reduced prices? In the UK this comes under two types known as: manufacturer refurbishment and reconditioned - both types get a 6 month guarantee.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Feb 24, 2011 3:08 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Thanks for that info, Carmine. So what happens if you get a seller or repairer who reconditions the vacuum, i.e. cleans it up, maybe fits a new motor and sells it at reduced prices? In the UK this comes under two types known as: manufacturer refurbishment and reconditioned - both types get a 6 month guarantee.

Hello vacmanuk:

In the USA vacuum store owners and operators have discretion on setting prices and warranty periods on "used," "rebuilt," "reconditioned," and "overhauled" re-sold models.  I typically use the term "remanufacture" exclusively for brands and models rebuilt by the original brand maker.  These latter re-sellers have prices and warranty periods established by the makers.  Vacuum store owners can "extend" and/or "embellish" the makers' warranty period but do so at their own risk. 

When I was in business, I typically sold MY rebuilts, refurbs, and reconditioned brands and models with the same warranty that the makers' gave new.  In my day, that was usually one year for the most part.  Deciding whether to resell and/or part out brands and models is an individual and/or store policy.  I never sold "used" Rexair/Rainbows.  If I got them in on trade, I parted them out: Used them to perform repairs and sell parts.  Naturally as used and discounted from new parts' prices. 

I sold new brands and models and was a factory authorized warranty dealer for the several brands I sold concurrently.  I always kept the product registration cards for these brands and models, with the customers' approval, so IF a vacuum failed out of warranty by a short and reasonable period, I could warranty for customers without their additional costs.

Carmine D.

DC18

Reply #16   Feb 26, 2011 3:56 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Thats ok vacmanuk, I'm not sure about the warranty in the US, but CarmineD has answered that one. I know the warranties are all the same I believe now 5 years and 2 years on handhelds. The 5 year has not been around as long as the original 2 years warranty. DC18
Replies: 7 - 16 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42