Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Oreck site
Original Message   Aug 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Notice the absence of the Dutch Tech canisters? The presence of the Edge, which was supposed to have been an dealer exclusive? So much for integrity. Oreck dealers fared betetr when Dave was at the helm.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
procare

Re: Oreck site
Reply #4   Aug 16, 2010 6:30 pm
       Mole ,

I don't know the Oreck story but do rmember seeing Made in West Germany on an early one on the church cleaner across the street.

Procare

Venson

Reply #5   Aug 16, 2010 7:13 pm
In any event, here's some not so great but accurate line drawings of two Philips vacuums.  The lower model matches Oreck's Dutch Tech.

Venson

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #6   Aug 16, 2010 10:40 pm
mole wrote:
Venson,The canister was called CELOC,I believe it was a WHIRLPOOL canister looking thing . I believe even Sears sold it under the WHIRLPOOL label

It made sence that  it was whirlpool product , Since David Oreck married into it. His rirst upright was called the celoc 1000 or 4000.

Maybe Carmine can tell us the real skinny on the Oreck story

MOLE

This was the ORECK XL Celoc . What year do you think WP sold it at Sears as "Whirlpool"?  And Why?
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #7   Aug 16, 2010 10:45 pm
procare wrote:
       Mole ,

I don't know the Oreck story but do rmember seeing Made in West Germany on an early one on the church cleaner across the street.

Procare

Yes, early ORECKS were made in Germany, for ORECK.  That would be after the WP/Oreck models.
This message was modified Aug 16, 2010 by Mike_W
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #8   Aug 16, 2010 11:25 pm
Venson wrote:
In any event, here's some not so great but accurate line drawings of two Philips vacuums.  The lower model matches Oreck's Dutch Tech.

V-

Venson

I posted a review on the previous website way back in 1999-I think.  Here is the review transferred to this site-

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/reviews/266-0-1.html

ORECK is known for his "8lbs. upright".  They get people's attention, because they are different.  Well, not so different anymore.  He knows that he can sell more of the uprights than the canisters, therefor advertising makes since.  The vacuum pays for itself.  This is true of other brands also.  Vacuum cleaners are very seldom seen of TV.  Look at how often Sears Kenmores were shown on TV commercials.  Eureka and HOOVER and Bissell will advertise, but it is in spurts.

Venson

Reply #9   Aug 17, 2010 4:26 am
Mike_W wrote:
I posted a review on the previous website way back in 1999-I think.  Here is the review transferred to this site-

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/reviews/266-0-1.html

ORECK is known for his "8lbs. upright".  They get people's attention, because they are different.  Well, not so different anymore.  He knows that he can sell more of the uprights than the canisters, therefor advertising makes since.  The vacuum pays for itself.  This is true of other brands also.  Vacuum cleaners are very seldom seen of TV.  Look at how often Sears Kenmores were shown on TV commercials.  Eureka and HOOVER and Bissell will advertise, but it is in spurts.

Hi Mike,

I was born here a hundred years ago.  Sears commercials are more gentle reminders for me though they may bear more impact on young'uns and new arrivals to the U.S.  Were I in the market for a vacuum, a dishwasher, range or refrigerator heading to Sears woulkd probably be a no-brainer as it has long been established for myself as a place to find anything practical.  My grandfather bought his overalls there and our first Silvertone TV.

Oreck on the other hand seems to pick up stuff for its line and leave it on a back burner.  The "Iron-whatever" portable vac  as an instance goes back almost 40 years as a Sears item before it fell off their roster.  I'm merely curious to learn if its a big concern for the company whether they sell or not.  Or, maybe they keep just enough on hand to satisfy those looking for somethng beyond the usuall fare now and then. 

Of course, everyone's aware of lightweight Oreck uprights and Oreck "power teams being the jewel in the company's crown but that makes me still wonder all the more at why they bother wih other items that they'll probably not push to the fore by way of more agressive advertising. 

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #10   Aug 17, 2010 11:15 am
Perhaps Oreck couldn't get them as they were originally Philips canisters.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm
This is the best pic/photo I could find of the ORECK Dutch Tech canister to post here.  This is the ORECK Dutch Tech 1400B which typically sells for $800.  1400 Watt motor. 10 year motor warranty.  3 year overall warranty.  17 pounds for the vacuum only.  With the tools included it's 25 pounds.  It's noted claim: Ultra quiet   "....it's so quiet it won't wake a sleeping baby."  There are 3 less expensive Dutch Tech models.  Two models are 1200: an A and B [1200 Watts].  One model with a power head and one without.  Priced at $500 and $700 repectively.  A 1400 A model also without power head is priced at $700. 

Consumer Reports gave it fair to middlin ratings.  Customers/users give it the same ratings as CR.  It was marketed as "European engineering: the equivalent of a Swiss watch."  Obviously geared toward the 50 million families in the USA with infant children/babies.  In CR's most recent ratings [March 2010] the ORECK DutchTech 1400B rated an overall numerical score of 65 in a field of 18 canisters which ranged from the lowest score of 57 to the highest of 73.  Tying with MIELE Plus S251 and closely matching SEBO C series and MIELE Callisto.  Besting both dyson canns.  There is no reliability rating for ORECK canns.  ORECK uprights receive a 9 score for reliability in a field of 12 brands ranging in scores from the lowest [best] of 3 to the highest [worse] of 13.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 17, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #12   Nov 25, 2010 8:43 am
ORECK joins the Thanksgiving Day sales frenzy.  It's safe to say, as Trebor posted, ORECK is no longer in the business of canisters with power nozzles.  Note its latest Ouest Canister for $199 is a straight suction only and nothing more expensive with a P/N.   Can't disagree that ORECK was a better company with Dave at the helm.  Sadly, nothing in life stays the same and we should remember best the good times.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by a moderator
CarmineD

Reply #13   Dec 25, 2010 7:06 am
ORECK doesn't take a holiday for Christmas.  It's always about business.

Carmine D.

Today Only! Get 20% off your entire order. Shop Now»
Oreck
Call 1-800-219-2044 to order anytime 24/7.
Get 20% off your entire order.
Hurry! Get great savings on our best-selling products! Get 20% off your entire order.
Share this great offer! Forward to a friend today.
*Savings reflected in cart. Offer not valid on Oreck XL Element™, Oreck Steam-It®, Oreck Edge™, or vacuum bag 8-packs. Cannot be combined with any other offer or applied to past purchases.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42