Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC14 and DC31 being discontinued.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Dyson DC14 and DC31 being discontinued.
Original Message   Jul 25, 2010 2:32 am
Hi everyone, The other day I had a conversation with an indie central vacuum shop owner that recently became a Dyson dealer/service center, and from that little chit chat I learned of a few things. First off, the DC14 upright is being discontinued in the coming months. He isn't sure if it will have a new model take its place, but I think it's safe to assume that the same DC33 that is replacing the DC14 in the UK will replace it on this side of the pond as well. Secondly, he revealed that the DC31 handheld is being discontinued as well. I wasn't sure I believed him on that count, but surely enough, a quick google search reveal that DC31's are on clearance, and even being labeled as "discontinued" by walmart.com (google "dyson DC31 discontinued", and read the second link). There is nothing to indicate that the handheld will see another successor at this time. Also, though he didn't mention anything about the DC22, I strongly believe it is on the way out as well, with many retailers slashing prices and clearing them out (again, google "dyson DC22 discontinued", and read the sixth link down).
Replies: 32 - 41 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC33 is here
Reply #32   Aug 11, 2010 6:59 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
The Dyson DC33 has finally arrived. http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC33-MULTIFLOOR Some notable features: -17.6 lb. weight -Plastic Telescopic wand -Two button wand release -Washable HEPA filter -$399 price point

I'd opine that new DC33 will also replace DC17. 

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Re: Dyson DC14 and DC31 being discontinued.
Reply #33   Aug 11, 2010 8:04 am
If the DC 33  is replacing the 17, they are taking a giant step backwards.  A plastic wand now.... still using the telescopic system, and still using that stupid clutch system (with that joke of a brushroll).... have they not learned anything?  Dyson is starting to disappoint, and I've been a Dyson fan heretofore... I'm not a Dyson "hater" like many but I do hope they start making some better decisions.
Venson

Reply #34   Aug 11, 2010 11:56 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
If the DC 33  is replacing the 17, they are taking a giant step backwards.  A plastic wand now.... still using the telescopic system, and still using that stupid clutch system (with that joke of a brushroll).... have they not learned anything?  Dyson is starting to disappoint, and I've been a Dyson fan heretofore... I'm not a Dyson "hater" like many but I do hope they start making some better decisions.

Hi VF,

As I've stated prior, I have the feeling it's all about economics and it looks like everybody's doing it.  Keep the sale price up and the price of manufacture down.  After, all the first rule of buisness is to never pay anyone any more than you just have to.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #35   Aug 11, 2010 12:53 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi VF,

As I've stated prior, I have the feeling it's all about economics and it looks like everybody's doing it.  Keep the sale price up and the price of manufacture down.  After, all the first rule of buisness is to never pay anyone any more than you just have to.

Venson

Hi Vemson:

I was always stunned that dyson only warranties its own refurbs 6 months yet prices them at $300 plus.  One would think at least a year or even more for a maker refurbed to original specs.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #36   Aug 11, 2010 2:09 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Vemson:

I was always stunned that dyson only warranties its own refurbs 6 months yet prices them at $300 plus.  One would think at least a year or even more for a maker refurbed to original specs.

Carmine D.

Hi,

Short warranties on refurbs and full ones for the new appears to be the nature of the appliance game.  The trade-off being willingness to make do with a "name brand" refurb rather than shoot for new at full price.  As for pricing, I think Dyson prefers to sell new stock from $400 and up.  Maybe they feel they're offering a bargain even though the price difference is slim.  I guess there are enough potential customers influenced by brand names to make it pay off for Dyson.

I would think that because Dyson is all the fashion these days  there are many who'll acquire them just for the sake of following fashion.  Teens do it all the time and many adults also follow suit though usually not willing to admit it. 

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #37   Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Short warranties on refurbs and full ones for the new appears to be the nature of the appliance game.  The trade-off being willingness to make do with a "name brand" refurb rather than shoot for new at full price.  As for pricing, I think Dyson prefers to sell new stock from $400 and up.  Maybe they feel they're offering a bargain even though the price difference is slim.  I guess there are enough potential customers influenced by brand names to make it pay off for Dyson.

I would think that because Dyson is all the fashion these days  there are many who'll acquire them just for the sake of following fashion.  Teens do it all the time and many adults also follow suit though usually not willing to admit it. 

Venson

Venson, you're probably right on.  For the 60 percent of vacuum consumers who go with the flow for their vacuum purchases, the majority would IMO buy a $200-$300 new big box vacuum with a 6 year warranty before a dyson refurb with just 6 months.  It is common place to see dyson DC14 and DC17 refurbs at $300 plus on dyson's site with just 6 months warranty.  With brand new dyson DC14 and DC17 models at most US retailers [with a 5 year warranty] priced at the same prices as the refurbed models. 

Carmine D. 

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #38   Aug 11, 2010 10:51 pm
You have a point, Venson, but if they keep going this direction, they may start losing customers. 
Venson

Reply #39   Aug 11, 2010 11:04 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
You have a point, Venson, but if they keep going this direction, they may start losing customers. 

Hi VF,

But that's the idea.  If they lose customers then they may begin to rethink and improve product and practice. 

In the end result, the public's acceptance or rejection of any company's product or manner of operations, has a lot to do with what consumers may or may not go for.  They make the product, yes, but we decide if and what we'll buy.  If they want our money they eventually begin to show signs of "hearing " us.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #40   Aug 13, 2010 3:21 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi VF,

But that's the idea.  If they lose customers then they may begin to rethink and improve product and practice. 

In the end result, the public's acceptance or rejection of any company's product or manner of operations, has a lot to do with what consumers may or may not go for.  They make the product, yes, but we decide if and what we'll buy.  If they want our money they eventually begin to show signs of "hearing " us.

Venson

OR... My guess is they could just go on the way they are and harass and fire employees who don't make quotas because it is THEIR faults they aren't selling products like they used to.
CarmineD

Reply #41   Nov 21, 2010 8:50 am
Aviori wrote:
In my opinion, Dyson has a lot more models which are selling even less than these two do. They claim that this is due to the economic crysis and people are not willing to spend money on their products if they can buy it three times cheaper elsewhere. But is it worth the money indeed ?

With economy of scales, much smarter for dyson to lower prices on models that have been around for awhile than to discontinue outright.  Or worse reinvent similar take offs every year for higher and higher prices than the models discontinued.  Hard lesson for dyson to learn.  Took 8 years before DC33 was launched at a budget price [for dyson] actually lower than all its previous versions.  Now DC33 sells regularly for $318 at all retailers, or less.  At least $100 plus less than its dyson predecessors.  Hard times call for difficult choices.  Sooner the better.

Carmine D.

Replies: 32 - 41 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42