Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC14 and DC31 being discontinued.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Dyson DC14 and DC31 being discontinued.
Original Message   Jul 25, 2010 2:32 am
Hi everyone, The other day I had a conversation with an indie central vacuum shop owner that recently became a Dyson dealer/service center, and from that little chit chat I learned of a few things. First off, the DC14 upright is being discontinued in the coming months. He isn't sure if it will have a new model take its place, but I think it's safe to assume that the same DC33 that is replacing the DC14 in the UK will replace it on this side of the pond as well. Secondly, he revealed that the DC31 handheld is being discontinued as well. I wasn't sure I believed him on that count, but surely enough, a quick google search reveal that DC31's are on clearance, and even being labeled as "discontinued" by walmart.com (google "dyson DC31 discontinued", and read the second link). There is nothing to indicate that the handheld will see another successor at this time. Also, though he didn't mention anything about the DC22, I strongly believe it is on the way out as well, with many retailers slashing prices and clearing them out (again, google "dyson DC22 discontinued", and read the sixth link down).
Replies: 22 - 31 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iMacDaddy

Re: Dyson DC14 and DC31 being discontinued.
Reply #22   Aug 6, 2010 12:55 am
Hmm, I think "MF" actually stands for "Multi Floor", as it does with the UK version. I guess Dyson no longer holds the trademark for "All Floors"...which would explain why that designation is used on the new Kenmore Intuition uprights.
Hertz

Reply #23   Aug 7, 2010 1:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You should know what you're talking about.  You're the junk expert here.  12 for less than the price of a latte.

Carmine D. 

You're really that desperate huh? Pathetically using the fact of 12 for about $30 a piece, when I've seen Miele's and SEBO's go for less in better condition? They're not junk when they're built better, work better, filter better, and last better than O-what-a-Recks. OOPS! I meant Orecks! My bad.
CarmineD

Reply #24   Aug 7, 2010 4:39 pm
Hertz wrote:
You're really that desperate huh? Pathetically using the fact of 12 for about $30 a piece, when I've seen Miele's and SEBO's go for less in better condition? They're not junk when they're built better, work better, filter better, and last better than O-what-a-Recks. OOPS! I meant Orecks! My bad.

You missed the point.  You don't pay someone else to buy their garbage by the pallet.  As you did.  Regardless of the price and brand name.  You charge them to remove and dispose of it.  That's the point you need to grasp and comprehend before you argue the merits of what it is you buy/sell.  Junk is junk.  Regardless of the brand.  

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #25   Aug 7, 2010 9:35 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
Hmm, I think "MF" actually stands for "Multi Floor", as it does with the UK version. I guess Dyson no longer holds the trademark for "All Floors"...which would explain why that designation is used on the new Kenmore Intuition uprights.

Not quite. The name "All Floors," was used on Dyson's DC04 (production 2001) -  I know because I had one and it was quite a troublesome vacuum based on its ratchet brush control system. There have been tons of other "All Floors" models by Dyson, of which I'm sure you're aware of. Even if Dyson don't choose to use it on their latest upright models they could use it again. Compared to Kenmore which is a restricted brand to Canada and the U.S, Dyson still have the right to use that name.
This message was modified Aug 7, 2010 by vacmanuk
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #26   Aug 9, 2010 1:26 am
I am actually glad that the DC 14 is being discontinued....  While it's the only Dyson I have and I like Dysons as far as bagless vacuums go, the clutch is awful (I replaced mine myself less than a year ago and it's already making a clicking sound during operation, though it doesn't seem to affect performance.... not that awful ratcheting sound that it makes when something gets stuck, just a low, annoying click)....  Plus, the tool storage on top of the dirt bin is just silly, they are the way and fall off when I try to empty the bin.  I also *hate* the telescopic wand and wish they would go back to the design of the DC07, but all Dyson models seem to have that design now, so I can't avoid it.  I'd like the mini ball model or the one with the height adjustment cam.....  one with a real brushroll.... will probably get both to add to my collection when my DC14 finally dies.  It does seem to be a workhorse though, and it was abused before I rescued it.
Hertz

Reply #27   Aug 9, 2010 4:39 am
Carmine, as this good, seemingly logical and respectable Vacuumfreeeke has said, he *RESCUED* his Dyson, and they are work horses, and will humorously defecate all over Orecks in terms of cleaning power, filtration, and in some areas even build quality, and again, he rescued his as I have done mine. Just because I bought them from a facility that takes in beat up equipment to resell, has nothing to do with the status of being junk or not. Get your head out of your rear quite being so pathetically biased. There are some people who are so brainless they simply don't know how to take care of vacuums, and thus you find quality machines in places they shouldn't be, like mine. They all came from the same place - probably a big company that ordered all the Dysons, as they are *ALL* the exact same model, color scheme, etc. Maybe you didn't catch it at first Carmine, but these Dysons I have, all twelve, were brought TO the "recycling" facility FROM the SAME location, and/or VERY SIMILAR locations, as they all had completely grossed out filters from lack of maintenance, and let me tell you, they've suffered a lot of ware, and they still are in great shape considering; work horses. Awesome machines, and anybody who disagrees might have comprehension issues.
This message was modified Aug 9, 2010 by Hertz
CarmineD

Reply #28   Aug 9, 2010 7:19 am
Hertz wrote:
Carmine, as this good, seemingly logical and respectable Vacuumfreeeke has said, he *RESCUED* his Dyson, and they are work horses, and will humorously defecate all over Orecks in terms of cleaning power, filtration, and in some areas even build quality, and again, he rescued his as I have done mine. Just because I bought them from a facility that takes in beat up equipment to resell, has nothing to do with the status of being junk or not. Get your head out of your rear quite being so pathetically biased. There are some people who are so brainless they simply don't know how to take care of vacuums, and thus you find quality machines in places they shouldn't be, like mine. They all came from the same place - probably a big company that ordered all the Dysons, as they are *ALL* the exact same model, color scheme, etc. Maybe you didn't catch it at first Carmine, but these Dysons I have, all twelve, were brought TO the "recycling" facility FROM the SAME location, and/or VERY SIMILAR locations, as they all had completely grossed out filters from lack of maintenance, and let me tell you, they've suffered a lot of ware, and they still are in great shape considering; work horses. Awesome machines, and anybody who disagrees might have comprehension issues.

Let me attempt once more to explain what I have already done in a way you may possibly understand.  Currently, DC14 models sell new for $299.  Except for the handhelds the DC14 is dyson's least expensive model.  You bought a pallet of 12 dysons, half of which don't run according to you, and were en route to the recycle plant: AKA being junked.  You paid less than $30 each, a price which is less than 10 percent of the current dyson retail price.  According to the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) which promulgates GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), which all US businesses are required to follow for financial reporting purposes, when the value of inventory becomes 10 percent or less of the current price, it is considered salvage (read junk, garbage, scrap, waste).  At salvage value, it becomes more cost effective for businesses according to the AICPA and GAAP to eliminate from inventory rather than continue to bear the costs to store and track.  Businesses pay others to have the pallets of inventory picked up and delivered to the dump (dump fees).  You saved the dysons' owner the cost for removing/disposing the junk dysons.  You bought them at a price that is less than 10 percent of the current price.  According to the AICPA and GAAP, you bought their junk dysons saving them the cost to dispose.  You got a "rear deal."

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #29   Aug 9, 2010 12:22 pm
Yes, Hertz.... my Dyson came from Craig's List and it had hair, (pet and female human), stuffed animal stuffing and all kinds of nastiness wrapped around the brushroll.... not to mention it stunk to high heavens like a dog and had even been chewed on by the dog.... the poor thing still has some battle scars from that.  Despite its past, it still works fine, and it's the vacuum I reach for when I need to use on with attachments or just want to see what was in the carpet. 

Hertz, I don't know what your screen name on Youtube is, but I think you may have seen my video on there already of the Dyson.... here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4rC-JLIaw
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #30   Aug 9, 2010 12:24 pm
It's a copy and paste link, the hyperlink thing doesn't seem to work on this forum.
iMacDaddy

Dyson DC33 is here
Reply #31   Aug 11, 2010 2:25 am
The Dyson DC33 has finally arrived. http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC33-MULTIFLOOR Some notable features: -17.6 lb. weight -Plastic Telescopic wand -Two button wand release -Washable HEPA filter -$399 price point
Replies: 22 - 31 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42