Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 90 - 99 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #90   Apr 15, 2010 4:14 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh How I laughed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKv3R6M1k4

Thanks vacmanuk.  That's about how it goes.  "I buy it, bring it, home and then I have to push it too?"

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #91   Apr 15, 2010 6:54 am
HARDSELL wrote:
One such as yourself could (and soes) argue with a biased opinion.  Of course using your logic Orecks are a POS because I found two to be very very inferior to the DC07.

ORECK has made and marketed the same variation on the theme for over 45 years.  The DC07 is discontinued in less than 4 years.  Soon the DC14.  Why?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #92   Apr 15, 2010 7:02 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Hertz, Carmine has preached gloom and doom for Dyson for years.  Each new Hoover was to be the demise of Dyson.  The Hoover "Z' was to be the vacuum of all vacs.  Carmine bought one and gifted it away in short time.  They are still available in the salvage/junk stores and only slightly used.  Dyson is going strong and Hoover failed.

Dyson cost Carmine a lot of embarrasment a few years back and he has a vendetta to destroy them.

Like the dyson DC11 for $500?  You're right that I predicted it would die an ignoble death and be pulled from the USA retailers' shelves.  It was.  Just like DC07 now and soon the DC14. 

Actually I bought, used and gifted away 2 HOOVER Z's.  Both are still in use.  One in a commercial venue has been performing well since November 2007.  It's had one service in the all the time.  Simple and easy to work on.  Many of its features are now in regular use on other vacuums in the industry. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #93   Apr 15, 2010 7:04 am
CarmineD wrote:
As I understand these are the facts and circumstances that brought down dyson's mantra: Never clogs, never loses suction.
  • A 2006/07 ruling by the ASA [Advertising Standards Agency].  
  • About 3 dozen disgruntled dyson buyers/users, maybe more, joined by 2 vacuum companies filed a class action grievance against dyson. 
  • The crux of their grievance was that dyson vacuum filters clogged and the vacuums lost suction, contrary to dyson's printed claims to the contrary. 
  • The ASA, a European adjudication body for consumers and manufacturers/their products, agreed with dyson buyers and users and the vacuum companies. 
  • In its decision to Sir James and dyson, the ASA advised dyson under penalty of legal actions for non-comformance, to cease and desist from using the mantra in written format. 
  • Sir James and dyson complied.  
  • The dyson claims went away. 
  • In addition, dyson reduced the time periods for required filter maintenance from 6-9 months to 2-3 months on future models. 
  • Dyson also made its 5 year limited warranty contingent on users following the new filter service/maintenance instructions.

Carmine D.

HS:

What are your comments on this? 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #94   Apr 15, 2010 7:11 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks vacmanuk.  That's about how it goes.  "I buy it, bring it, home and then I have to push it too?"

Best,

Venson

Looks like Bett got the ORECK knack, just like my dear Wife.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #95   Apr 15, 2010 10:57 am
vacmanuk wrote:
How much are particle meters anyway? The thing is despite a particle meter being used, you'd have to do it in controlled areas that aren't polluted and even Miele's fan man on You Tube's particle meter picks up a lot of dust in his shop at times before his meter bit is put at the vent of the active/HEPA filter exhausts on the Miele.

Particle counters vary much in range from $1,600-$5,000 You don't need a controlled area to get a good idea if a system leaks or not as the meter will give a reading and if that reading rises you know there is exhaust. I have personally used one on a HEPA installed Miele and can report that the meter reads ZERO same with IQ Air's Air Purifiers. I have not used it on a Dyson but I have never seen or heard of one that WAS tested that does not leak. Miele does not claim a zero reading with the Air Clean Filter.
vacmanuk

Reply #96   Apr 15, 2010 12:28 pm
CarmineD wrote:
ORECK has made and marketed the same variation on the theme for over 45 years.  The DC07 is discontinued in less than 4 years.  Soon the DC14.  Why?

Carmine D.

Sorry Carmine but you can't compare Oreck with Dyson. Totally different vacuums. For a start the Dysons are all clean fan systems.
vacmanuk

Reply #97   Apr 15, 2010 1:00 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Particle counters vary much in range from $1,600-$5,000 You don't need a controlled area to get a good idea if a system leaks or not as the meter will give a reading and if that reading rises you know there is exhaust. I have personally used one on a HEPA installed Miele and can report that the meter reads ZERO same with IQ Air's Air Purifiers. I have not used it on a Dyson but I have never seen or heard of one that WAS tested that does not leak. Miele does not claim a zero reading with the Air Clean Filter.

Thanks for that info, Lucky! Im sure I read somewhere that the particle counters have to be done in a controlled environment. Anyone know roughly what a particle count is for the Air Clean filter?
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #98   Apr 15, 2010 1:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 I recall years ago our Forum Moderator here saying that he sees dirt on the DC07's air in/outlet tubes [behind the dirt bin] based on viewings of various display models in big box stores.  How does it get there? Leakage?  If I'm wrong maybe Mike W. will correct me.  Please do.  

Carmine D.

That was so long ago, but I think I remember.  Before the dyson came to the U.S. and shortly after it introed, T.G. spoke of how wonderful the dyson was.  He said that the multicyclones, on the dyson, were so great that NOTHING passes the cyclones.  I knew this was bull.  I checked dysons by removing the dirtbin/cyclone assembly and looked at the inside of the tube(exhaust end) that runs to the premotor filter.  Fine dust coated the inside tube.  This was the case on all dysons.  What I proved was that debris does get by the cyclones and the bin does not need to be overfilled to do so.  I do not recall saying anything about dust on the outside of the machine.

Dyson vacuum cleaners do well at filtering  while vacuuming.  The problem is when the dirtbin is emptied.  The dirt does fly, even though some led others to believe differently.  JD's company even knew the dust would fly, because he said to put a bag around the bin when emptying it.
CarmineD

Reply #99   Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Sorry Carmine but you can't compare Oreck with Dyson. Totally different vacuums. For a start the Dysons are all clean fan systems.

My point was that ORECK despite HS's attacks and disfavor over its operation has passed the test of time for more than 45 years with little to no major changes to its design and function.  A testament in my opinion to its classic appeal across several generations of users.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 15, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 90 - 99 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42