Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 185 - 194 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #185   Apr 25, 2010 8:05 am
retardturtle1 wrote:

Hi Carmine

Yes....we did have some dyson/bagless  owners who were all about prevent maint. on everything they own...new filters every year-belts..ect

reguardless of  how clean they were....nor were any of them pet owners....that i do remember for sure . They were all very happy with their vacs

and how they performed...(no pets..odor ) could be the reason? This was when the 7 and 14 were still pretty popular..and when we used to work on them.

Idont really remember seeing any dust leaks anywhere either...but did see the light coating of dirt/dust when you removed the pre-mtr filter on some not all.

turtle

Thanks turtle.  Filters and servicing are more costly in bagless vacuums.  Needed more often too than in bagged vacuums.  Preventative maintenance is highly recommended to keep the bagless working properly vice bagged vacuums which can take more abuse and neglect than the more labor intensive sensative bagless.  Have to daily dump dirt bins because of small capacities and temperament of motor to dirt/lack of air flow.  So I ask, what are the advantages of bagless over bagged.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #186   Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am

You've hit the nail on the head here Carmine! The advantages that Dyson would have all consumers believe is that you don't need to buy bags and that's the first "convenience" that most buyers could agree with (well, until the drive belt goes on their Dyson if they haven't got the motor clutch protected models!) as well as the other hyped fact that bags clog and don't therefore fill up, weaken the suction and dust gets left behind.

This message was modified Apr 25, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #187   Apr 25, 2010 1:54 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
You've hit the nail on the head here Carmine! The advantages that Dyson would have all consumers believe is that you don't need to buy bags and that's the first "convenience" that most buyers could agree with (well, until the drive belt goes on their Dyson if they haven't got the motor clutch protected models!) as well as the other hyped fact that bags clog and don't therefore fill up, weaken the suction and dust gets left behind.

Thank you.  Years ago, vacuum bags were sold primarily through independent vacuum stores that may have been few and far between.  A throw back to the old permanent cloths.  Over the years, grocery, drug, big box retailers and a host of others added/sell vacuum cleaner paper bags.  Not to mention quick and easy direct buys from the vacuum brand makers and/or bag makers through the internet.  Buy 8-12 bags per pack[s] at one time/visit and the vacuum consumer is good for a year or more.  Painless.  Bagless has been around for years in the vacuum industry and the argument in favor of bagless is always the same:  No cost and inconvenience for buying bags.  Really?  By now, it's a "shell" game.  Vacuum consumers catch on quick.  Doesn't take 5174 prototypes to figure it out.  The hype for bagless is much greater than the "shell" game workers lead buyers to believe.  Especially when the users realize that the pre-post motor filters for bagless are far more costly than paper bags, require regular user maintenance frequently and dumping that darn old dirty bin is an extreme pain.  Give vacuum customers bagged every time.  No fuss, no muss.  No hassles.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #188   Apr 25, 2010 4:51 pm
In the UK the story isn't the same: you get a fair amount of "Mass produced," company names such as Hoover or Electrolux bags but there are so many other companies like Goblin/Morphy Richards where bags aren't available. In Dyson's defence here, there is a slight grain of truth in not being able to get bags for all vacuums sold in the UK at places.
retardturtle1

Reply #189   Apr 25, 2010 6:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Carmine

Yes....we did have some dyson/bagless  owners who were all about prevent maint. on everything they own...new filters every year-belts..ect

reguardless of  how clean they were....nor were any of them pet owners....that i do remember for sure . They were all very happy with their vacs

and how they performed...(no pets..odor ) could be the reason? This was when the 7 and 14 were still pretty popular..and when we used to work on them.

Idont really remember seeing any dust leaks anywhere either...but did see the light coating of dirt/dust when you removed the pre-mtr filter on some not all.

turtle

Thanks turtle.  Filters and servicing are more costly in bagless vacuums.  Needed more often too than in bagged vacuums.  Preventative maintenance is highly recommended to keep the bagless working properly vice bagged vacuums which can take more abuse and neglect than the more labor intensive sensative bagless.  Have to daily dump dirt bins because of small capacities and temperament of motor to dirt/lack of air flow.  So I ask, what are the advantages of bagless over bagged.

Carmine D.

HI Carmine

No advantages at all....none. a bagged vacuum is/will always be better by far... its simple and sweet ,   Ive yet to see a bagless [except sanitaire-comm. dust cup]

that can handle the stress  of comm. use.....dead within a year. A good bag will keep and contain the dirt..allowing the filters and motor  to stay clean and free flowing.

Dysons/bagless  are best suited for in home use/very light duty.....and will last /work fine with proper maint and service....every year....or better yet , use a bagged Tempo 

for $100.00 and outclean/outlast  bagless/dysons and enjoy all the money you save/saved...just my view.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #190   Apr 25, 2010 9:24 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

Carmine D.

HI Carmine

No advantages at all....none. a bagged vacuum is/will always be better by far... its simple and sweet ,   Ive yet to see a bagless [except sanitaire-comm. dust cup]

that can handle the stress  of comm. use.....dead within a year. A good bag will keep and contain the dirt..allowing the filters and motor  to stay clean and free flowing.

Dysons/bagless  are best suited for in home use/very light duty.....and will last /work fine with proper maint and service....every year....or better yet , use a bagged Tempo 

for $100.00 and outclean/outlast  bagless/dysons and enjoy all the money you save/saved...just my view.

turtle

Thanks turtle1.  I agree with you.  The "no cost for bags" is snake oil marketing.  No advantages of bagless over bagged over the long haul.  In fact, just the reverse is true. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Apr 25, 2010 by CarmineD
mark40511

Reply #191   May 12, 2010 2:34 pm
The first and maybe LAST bagless vacuum I had, was a Fantom Fury from 1996. I HATED that thing with a red hot chili pepper passion! I remember when vacuuming the dust would literally collect on the outside of the vacuum. The dirt cup when taken out and emptied, and placed back in, never felt like it was making a tight seal. I think it stopped working in 2000. I was never so glad. I said I would never get another bagless vacuum. I ended up getting a Kenmore canister and I fell in love with canisters. I'm sure technology with bagless has improved greatly since then, but I can't get past the fact of "EMPTYING" a bagless vacuum, whether it be upright or canister. I will give you an example......Say, it's winter time.....frigid outside........you're cleaning house.......dust cup is full........Do you dump it in the trash can in the kitchen? (NO!) dust will fly around and continue to do so each time someone throws something in the trash until the trash is taken out. My trash collection bin is in my garage......Do I dump the dirt just in the trash bin itself.........I can visualize a cloud of dust everytime I throw a bag of garbage in the trash bin. I would love the fact of not having to buy bags and filters, but what I just described is what prevents me from getting a bagless vacuum (other than Rainbow).
retardturtle1

Reply #192   May 12, 2010 4:44 pm
mark40511 wrote:
The first and maybe LAST bagless vacuum I had, was a Fantom Fury from 1996. I HATED that thing with a red hot chili pepper passion! I remember when vacuuming the dust would literally collect on the outside of the vacuum. The dirt cup when taken out and emptied, and placed back in, never felt like it was making a tight seal. I think it stopped working in 2000. I was never so glad. I said I would never get another bagless vacuum. I ended up getting a Kenmore canister and I fell in love with canisters. I'm sure technology with bagless has improved greatly since then, but I can't get past the fact of "EMPTYING" a bagless vacuum, whether it be upright or canister. I will give you an example......Say, it's winter time.....frigid outside........you're cleaning house.......dust cup is full........Do you dump it in the trash can in the kitchen? (NO!) dust will fly around and continue to do so each time someone throws something in the trash until the trash is taken out. My trash collection bin is in my garage......Do I dump the dirt just in the trash bin itself.........I can visualize a cloud of dust everytime I throw a bag of garbage in the trash bin. I would love the fact of not having to buy bags and filters, but what I just described is what prevents me from getting a bagless vacuum (other than Rainbow).

You can mist the inside of a plastic bag.... dump bin inside [and have no dust ploom] close up bag ,,,,tie shut and discard. or on a bagged.....pop out old pop in new and be on your way.....vacuuming while keeping  all the dust and dirt where it belongs.....in the bag.

turtle

Venson

Reply #193   May 12, 2010 5:14 pm
mark40511 wrote:

Hi,

Emptying the vacuum in blizzard conditions?  Been there, done that.  Have you considered taking the big plunge -- that is if you live in your own home -- and buying a good central system?  The bagless versions require less frequent emptying and all things considered prices should be nice about now.

Of course it is a whole different ball game.  You'd have to consider working with and storing a long hose but lots of nice advantages like unbeliable quiet are a possibility.

However, from the gist of what you've written, it appears obvious you'd prefer a regular vacuum.  As long as it's affordable -- like you won't have to ditch your kid's college fund -- get a bagged vac you like and be happy.  Just be sure to look for machines that offers good bag capacity. 

Here again, "Don't sweat the small stuff" applies.  We face enough really serious problems day to day.  Albeit comfort, ease and feeling good always come with a price one way or anoither, why be irritated over something so small?  There's a fix for it.  So be good to yourself and buy it.  There are other "fixes" far more expensive but of less worth

Venson.

retardturtle1

Reply #194   May 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Emptying the vacuum in blizzard conditions?  Been there, done that.  Have you considered taking the big plunge -- that is if you live in your own home -- and buying a good central system?  The bagless versions require less frequent emptying and all things considered prices should be nice about now.

Of course it is a whole different ball game.  You'd have to consider working with and storing a long hose but lots of nice advantages like unbeliable quiet are a possibility.

However, from the gist of what you've written, it appears obvious you'd prefer a regular vacuum.  As long as it's affordable -- like you won't have to ditch your kid's college fund -- get a bagged vac you like and be happy.  Just be sure to look for machines that offers good bag capacity. 

Here again, "Don't sweat the small stuff" applies.  We face enough really serious problems day to day.  Albeit comfort, ease and feeling good always come with a price one way or anoither, why be irritated over something so small?  There's a fix for it.  So be good to yourself and buy it.  There are other "fixes" far more expensive but of less worth

Venson.

Venson...Excellent advice....and words of wisdom.

Thank you for the reminder....sometimes we need a refresh.

turtle

Replies: 185 - 194 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42