Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 175 - 184 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #175   Apr 23, 2010 4:20 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine.......Never seen one broken..........how the heck do you break  the cyclone assembly

turtle

Part No. 904861-47

Cyclone assembly

Hello turtle1:  It's a sealed unit.  That's the problem in a nut shell [no pun intended HS].  Cyclones fill [clog] with fine dirt/dust.  It builds up with time and use.  Causes odors too in the vacuum during operation.  Dirt build up in the cyclones constricts air flow to the motor which causes motor overheating.  The cyclone assembly functions much like a bag.  It filters the air, just like a bag, to cool the motor during use.  Yes, dirt degrades a motor and wears it out.  So too the lack of air flow to the motor which causes motor burn out.  Hence, the reason for extra care to keep filters clean and free of dirt in bagless vacuums.  Else motor dies.  The problem is that all the dirt isn't in the bin and on the filters.  If so, these could be cleaned/replaced easily and back in use.  No, dirt accumulates in the sealed cyclones which can't/won't come out.  In time the only viable solution is a new cyclone assembly at $80 a pop, thank you very much.  Bags or bagless?  Choose your poison. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 23, 2010 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #176   Apr 23, 2010 4:39 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Part No. 904861-47

Cyclone assembly

Carmine D.

I am as concerned about replacing a bag monthly that cost $5 or more ea.  $60 or more per year.  Add in the $30 annual maintenance charge.  More if parts are needed.

The Dyson filter can be washed and reused (unlike the bag).  I doubt the filters would need replacing within 5 or more years. 

Which is less expensive to operate?

Other things to consider: The clean & service on a bagless vac is $15-$25 more than a bagged vac. The filters on Bagless vacs need to be changed more often as well, even the "lifetime" Dyson Hepa needs to be changed pretty often. A belt change on a cogged belt is very rare but a Dyson belt change could be $100.00!!!!

CarmineD

Reply #177   Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Other things to consider: The clean & service on a bagless vac is $15-$25 more than a bagged vac. The filters on Bagless vacs need to be changed more often as well, even the "lifetime" Dyson Hepa needs to be changed pretty often. A belt change on a cogged belt is very rare but a Dyson belt change could be $100.00!!!!

Hello Lucky1

Why is service on bagless vacuums more than bagged? 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #178   Apr 24, 2010 9:10 am
CarmineD wrote:

Hello Lucky1

Carmine D.

Ill take a shot at this question, In all probability the consumer or dyson user does not follow the  service schedule, if they were told beforehand of the maintaince involved they would of never had bought it the first place. Every single dyson problem is due to the user refusing to follow the schedule of maintence.Other than the usual belt and clutch problem. 

Please trust me i would not lie to you says the fine british fellow.....

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #179   Apr 24, 2010 10:12 am
mole wrote:

Ill take a shot at this question, In all probability the consumer or dyson user does not follow the  service schedule, if they were told beforehand of the maintaince involved they would of never had bought it the first place. Every single dyson problem is due to the user refusing to follow the schedule of maintence.Other than the usual belt and clutch problem. 

MOLE

Thank you MOLE. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #180   Apr 24, 2010 11:51 am
mole wrote:

Hello Lucky1

Carmine D.

MOLE

Hi mole

Bingo!!! upkeep/service or lack of....will kill any vacuum but more so on a bagless....99%   of most bagless dont come in for service until its cyclones/filters are caked up

clogged up....and that neglect is gonna cost you more due to the xtra time and work involved in restoring it to its like new performance......  i like the filtering of the dysons...but lifetime they are not.

but proper filter maint is a must on dysons/bagless......the dysons /bagless that came in for annual maint  with proper filter maint were the ones that performed as good as the day they were bought.

turtle

Lucky1

Reply #181   Apr 24, 2010 1:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Hello Lucky1

Carmine D.

Bagless are multiple times more filthy than a bagged machine (assuming the bag was put on correctly, if not, a higher charge is applied). They easily take more time to thoroughly clean.
CarmineD

Reply #182   Apr 24, 2010 2:37 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Bagless are multiple times more filthy than a bagged machine (assuming the bag was put on correctly, if not, a higher charge is applied). They easily take more time to thoroughly clean.

Thank you Lucky1.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #183   Apr 24, 2010 2:44 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

Hi mole

Bingo!!! upkeep/service or lack of....will kill any vacuum but more so on a bagless....99%   of most bagless dont come in for service until its cyclones/filters are caked up

clogged up....and that neglect is gonna cost you more due to the xtra time and work involved in restoring it to its like new performance......  i like the filtering of the dysons...but lifetime they are not.

but proper filter maint is a must on dysons/bagless......the dysons /bagless that came in for annual maint  with proper filter maint were the ones that performed as good as the day they were bought.

turtle

Hello turtle:

Why are the dysons brought in for service [if they are perforiming as good as new]?  Preventative maintenance?

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #184   Apr 24, 2010 4:09 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Hello turtle:

Why are the dysons brought in for service [if they are perforiming as good as new]?  Preventative maintenance?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Yes....we did have some dyson/bagless  owners who were all about prevent maint. on everything they own...new filters every year-belts..ect

reguardless of  how clean they were....nor were any of them pet owners....that i do remember for sure . They were all very happy with their vacs

and how they performed...(no pets..odor ) could be the reason? This was when the 7 and 14 were still pretty popular..and when we used to work on them.

Idont really remember seeing any dust leaks anywhere either...but did see the light coating of dirt/dust when you removed the pre-mtr filter on some not all.

turtle

Replies: 175 - 184 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42