Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson sues...
Original Message   Jan 27, 2010 5:28 pm
Dyson sues rival Vax over vacuum cleaner design
Dyson has launched legal action against rival manufacturer Vax, claiming the design of its Mach Zen vacuum cleaner is an infringement of the registered design of its first "bagless" Dyson cylinder vacuum, launched 15 years ago.

The company's founder and inventor James Dyson – who revolutionised the domestic appliance market with the product – said the Chinese-owned rival had "flagrantly copied" Dyson's iconic design and pledged to set a precedent on behalf of all designers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/27/dyson-sues-vax

Replies: 34 - 43 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Dyson sues...
Reply #34   Feb 1, 2010 7:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
As many consumers find it laughable that the cheaper TTI HOOVER models [$100-$250] continually whoop dysons [$500 plus] in the CR ratings and rankings.  Dyson just doesn't get any respect by the industry experts.

Carmine D.

Speaking of laughable.  How do you think CR got the name of Clown Reports ?
CarmineD

Reply #35   Feb 1, 2010 9:03 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Speaking of laughable.  How do you think CR got the name of Clown Reports ?

Because it is called:  The bible of the car-buying public and now rates Ford's quality higher than toyota's?  Source: Paul Ingrassia.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #36   Feb 1, 2010 9:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
Because it is called:  The bible of the car-buying public and now rates Ford's quality higher than toyota's?  Source: Paul Ingrassia.

Carmine D.

Gee, a bad rating after a problem is known by the world.  Such genius.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #37   Feb 3, 2010 3:21 am
Keep the thread on topic.   That  does not mean inserting the word "vacuum" in a post about cars.
CarmineD

Reply #38   Feb 3, 2010 6:26 am
Mike_W wrote:
Keep the thread on topic.   That  does not mean inserting the word "vacuum" in a post about cars.

How about fans?  Do they qualify for a vacuum forum?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #39   Feb 3, 2010 2:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
How about fans?  Do they qualify for a vacuum forum?

Carmine D.

Let me see if I understand correctly.  If Mike can't honestly answer a question for concern that it might incriminate him, he locks the thread?  Ah  Got my answer.  Thanks Mike.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

TTI wins...
Reply #40   Jul 29, 2010 9:48 am
Vax's popular Mach Zen vacuum cleaner IS different to anything else you can buy

http://www.vax.co.uk/pr/dyson-vs-vax

This message was modified Jul 29, 2010 by M00seUK
Venson

Reply #41   Jul 29, 2010 4:49 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Dyson sues rival Vax over vacuum cleaner design
Dyson has launched legal action against rival manufacturer Vax, claiming the design of its Mach Zen vacuum cleaner is an infringement of the registered design of its first "bagless" Dyson cylinder vacuum, launched 15 years ago.

The company's founder and inventor James Dyson – who revolutionised the domestic appliance market with the product – said the Chinese-owned rival had "flagrantly copied" Dyson's iconic design and pledged to set a precedent on behalf of all designers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/27/dyson-sues-vax

Hi M00seUK,

I'm not looking to pick a fight but this article reads awfully like yet another Dyson press releaase.  If there is indeed an actual lawsuit, this looks like a put up job.  I didn't feel much informed of by way of a news article's required "who, when, where and what" and came away wondering why the author invested so many words regarding Dyson's "back story" AND a photo of the irrepressible Jimmy D holding a Dyson Ball.  Could this be a photo op?  Whatever it is, the story stinks on hot ice.  Personally I think the guy's looking for a little extra free cash so that he can put the new boat in dry dock and have it painted a different shade.

By all means -- and I insist --  please do take my feeling on the matter with a grain of salt as I do not love Dyson product in the first place.  YET, there is one small point.  The Zen vacuum quite obviously does not closely resemble any canister vacuum that Dyson actually put out on the market.

Please inform me of, save for an actual, documented break-in into Dyson's vaults and theft of plans that it might have but never used, of the illegalities here.

That said, and I again am wont to be corrected, I still maintain that certain things once on the market are going to develop variations on a given theme to such a degree that all the whining over small and moot points is not going to get you anywhere.

Dyson did not itself invent cylonic vacuum cleaners.  The idea was already there by way of central vacuum systems and dust collection systems.  Dyson only came up with an idea of how to compact the technology for use in what would be considered a standard-sized portable household vacuum. And, even in light of that, there were still pre-Dyson vacuums claiming or alluding to whirlwind force and virtue.

I wonder who sued American Electrolux for finally shedding its long used metal runners for wheels other tank-type and canister vacs had been using all along.  I wonder who Electrolux sued for using sled-like runners.  This suit, or promise of it, is all more like an airplane manufacturer suing another airplane company because its product has wiing too.

Judges are not product designers nor are product designers the best judges in this case.  The issue is whether there was genuine intent to steal a manner of design and commit fraud.  What else is copyright infringement?  That will be hard to prove.

Venson

M00seUK

Reply #42   Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm
Hello Venson,
Copyright designs are an emotive issue. It must be frustrating for a company to create an individual, recognised style and then watch as competitors try to erode their market share by bringing out copycat designs that look much the same. As flattering as it might be, they should be competing on features and reinforcing their own style / reputation.

In the same vain, I'm not over-fond of companies (Partially in software, partially in the US) getting patents for very broad technologies which stifle competition.

Like many, I can see that the Vax design is very similar to Dyson's canisters. It's hard to imagine that the design brief was anything other than 'make it look similar to the Dyson'. What I don't know is where the line gets drawn on registered designs. If the high court has ruled that it doesn't infringe, that's where it stands... at least for the moment.

Dyson have said they'll appeal and are trying to win the heart + minds of the general public:-

"Dyson says it is baffled by the result: “There are plenty of other shapes that TTI could have chosen…Large round wheels, the angle of the clear bin, the line of the handle; does TTI’s Vax-badged machine resemble Dyson’s design?”

http://electricpig.co.uk/2010/07/29/dyson-loses-case-against-vax-design-infringement-but-what-do-you-think/

A spokesperson for Dyson added: “We’re disappointed, but we want to throw it out to people to see what they think.”

It's true to say that Dyson didn't invent cylonic vacuum cleaners as such, but they did invent and patent a dual-cyclone vacuum cleaner, which made the process much more feasible and consequently, sellable.

vacmanuk

Reply #43   Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm
Dyson really do have a cheek, because this isn't the first time Dyson have taken other brands to court and won. It is true that the DC02 have been copied in several areas by Vax. but then so have other brands. Im quite happy for once that another brand has actually won a court battle against Dyson. The courts must be pretty fed up with Dyson taking companies to court.

Also the DC02 isn't made anymore so its a bit crazy of Dyson to take Vax to court over a latest design. It's not as if its going to hurt Dyson sales.
This message was modified Jul 29, 2010 by vacmanuk
Replies: 34 - 43 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42