Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson sues...
Original Message   Jan 27, 2010 5:28 pm
Dyson sues rival Vax over vacuum cleaner design
Dyson has launched legal action against rival manufacturer Vax, claiming the design of its Mach Zen vacuum cleaner is an infringement of the registered design of its first "bagless" Dyson cylinder vacuum, launched 15 years ago.

The company's founder and inventor James Dyson – who revolutionised the domestic appliance market with the product – said the Chinese-owned rival had "flagrantly copied" Dyson's iconic design and pledged to set a precedent on behalf of all designers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/27/dyson-sues-vax

Replies: 44 - 53 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson sues...
Reply #44   Jul 29, 2010 7:55 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Hello Venson,
Copyright designs are an emotive issue. It must be frustrating for a company to create an individual, recognised style and then watch as competitors try to erode their market share by bringing out copycat designs that look much the same. As flattering as it might be, they should be competing on features and reinforcing their own style / reputation.

In the same vain, I'm not over-fond of companies (Partially in software, partially in the US) getting patents for very broad technologies which stifle competition.

Like many, I can see that the Vax design is very similar to Dyson's canisters. It's hard to imagine that the design brief was anything other than 'make it look similar to the Dyson'. What I don't know is where the line gets drawn on registered designs. If the high court has ruled that it doesn't infringe, that's where it stands... at least for the moment.

Dyson have said they'll appeal and are trying to win the heart + minds of the general public:-

"Dyson says it is baffled by the result: “There are plenty of other shapes that TTI could have chosen…Large round wheels, the angle of the clear bin, the line of the handle; does TTI’s Vax-badged machine resemble Dyson’s design?”

http://electricpig.co.uk/2010/07/29/dyson-loses-case-against-vax-design-infringement-but-what-do-you-think/

A spokesperson for Dyson added: “We’re disappointed, but we want to throw it out to people to see what they think.”

It's true to say that Dyson didn't invent cylonic vacuum cleaners as such, but they did invent and patent a dual-cyclone vacuum cleaner, which made the process much more feasible and consequently, sellable.

Hello M00seUK:

That's usually what losers say when they don't have a legal leg to stand on.  The high court ruled that the VAX cann beats dyson's 15 year old cann on every front, feature, and spec.  How does a copy beat the original?  Hands down no less.  At half the price of dyson's DC23 cann.  What's the court of popular opinion suppose to do to change the ruling to dyson's favor?   Sir James needs to take the court's ruling to heart and get to work in the drawing room not the court room.

Carmine D.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #45   Jul 30, 2010 6:19 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello M00seUK:

That's usually what losers say when they don't have a legal leg to stand on.  The high court ruled that the VAX cann beats dyson's 15 year old cann on every front, feature, and spec.  How does a copy beat the original?  Hands down no less.  At half the price of dyson's DC23 cann.  What's the court of popular opinion suppose to do to change the ruling to dyson's favor?   Sir James needs to take the court's ruling to heart and get to work in the drawing room not the court room.

Carmine D.

Carmine D.

I'd expect for a current machine to be better than the one it was 'inspired' from over 15 years ago. Compare it to the DC05 and they look even more similar. The reference to the DC02 must be for historic design / patent reasons.

It's clear that Dyson do compete on innovation more that anyone else in domestic vacuums, but it would be commercial suicide for them if they were to sit back each time and let anyone copy their designs or infinge on their patents. The upside for the consumer is that with judgements like this, they now have to work even harder on delivering the goods.

But it's it's likely they'll be other days in court...

This message was modified Jul 30, 2010 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #46   Jul 30, 2010 7:30 am
M00seUK wrote:
I'd expect for a current machine to be better than the one it was 'inspired' from over 15 years ago. Compare it to the DC05 and they look even more similar. The reference to the DC02 must be for historic design / patent reasons.

It's clear that Dyson do compete on innovation more that anyone else in domestic vacuums, but it would be commercial suicide for them if they were to sit back each time and let anyone copy their designs or infinge on their patents. The upside for the consumer is that with judgements like this, they now have to work even harder on delivering the goods.

If you're talking the VAX lawsuit, the VAX cann clearly trumps the 15 year old dyson on every spec including price at half as much as the current DC23.  175 british pounds for the VAX Zen versus 350 british pounds for dyson.

If you're fast forwarding to a future suit with LG Kompressor, you're giving me bigger belly laughs.  You post a combo tool as evidence of copyright infringement and suing?  A similar tool used 15 plus years apart is evidence of a vacuum copyright infringement?  Does dyson have a patent on the tool design?  If so, it should sue over it.  To its credit, dyson tools are good.  But they don't justify the exorbitant product prices for dysons and frivolous lawsuits mucking up the courts.

Dyson needs more homework in the drawing room and not the court room.  Then price the products fairly for consumers to buy/use.  That's how dyson will win favor in the court of public opinion with its consumers.  If not, dyson's vacuum products will be defunct and collectible items for the future and/or pallets of junk sold by the dirty dozen [including the tools].

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 30, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #47   Jul 30, 2010 8:34 am
M00seUK wrote:

OMG that's the SAME tool that has been put on the Vax Mach Air model! Its one tool I can't stand using.
Venson

Reply #48   Jul 30, 2010 10:15 am
Hi,

Which? magazine's spin on the court decision follows.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/07/vax-vacuum-isnt-a-dyson-rip-off-court-rules-222182

Venson

Venson

Reply #49   Jul 30, 2010 10:25 am
vacmanuk wrote:

OMG that's the SAME tool that has been put on the Vax Mach Air model! Its one tool I can't stand using.

I have the granddaddy to this tool that came with my Sears LG-cloned bagless can several years ago.  Almost the same design but it went one step further.  The brush for dusting slides off leaving a piece with velcro on its lips for vacuuming upholstery.  Another interesting idea that was a pain in the neck.  It was quite easy to get the tip of your finger pinched when pressing the buttons to extend it.

Venson

Venson

Reply #50   Jul 30, 2010 4:26 pm
By the way, I meant to mention that the DC02 Dyson in the Which? article is very similar to the long gone Fantom canister vac. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDKH8zZmvI

How'd that happen?  Anyway . . .

If imitation is the greatest form of flattery then what does theft of the actual product represent?  A perverse assessment of value?  Beauty, value and all that being in the eye of the beholder -- maybe the following article will make ol' JD feel a little better.  The world wants Dyson so badly there are those prepared to steal them.  Bet ya Dirt Devil wishes it could say the same.  This, as far as I know, this __ vacuum cleaner theft -- is an American phenomenom. Is there much report of Dyson theft in Europe?

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20100729/NEWS24/7290502

Venson

This message was modified Jul 30, 2010 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #51   Jul 30, 2010 10:17 pm
Venson wrote:
By the way, I meant to mention that the DC02 Dyson in the Which? article is very similar to the long gone Fantom canister vac. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDKH8zZmvI

How'd that happen?  Anyway . . .

If imitation is the greatest form of flattery then what does theft of the actual product represent?  A perverse assessment of value?  Beauty, value and all that being in the eye of the beholder -- maybe the following article will make ol' JD feel a little better.  The world wants Dyson so badly there are those prepared to steal them.  Bet ya Dirt Devil wishes it could say the same.  This, as far as I know, this __ vacuum cleaner theft -- is an American phenomenom. Is there much report of Dyson theft in Europe?

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20100729/NEWS24/7290502

Venson

Ah but didn't Dyson go to Amway who at that time owned Fantom? Their original bagless vacs were carbon copies of Dyson. There's a whole big bust up section in Dyson's book somewhere about it.

As you were saying about that dusting tool, Venson, here's the Vax one:

Now, as you can see if you slide down the brush over the crevice, it then becomes the dusting brush function. Then the thing can be reversed so that it can pick up hair etc with the lint pickers. I can't stand it when it has to be used in this way as it reminds me of using an upturned cup on a floor. It isn't practical and it doesn't glide very well either.
CarmineD

Reply #52   Jul 31, 2010 7:22 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Ah but didn't Dyson go to Amway who at that time owned Fantom? Their original bagless vacs were carbon copies of Dyson. There's a whole big bust up section in Dyson's book somewhere about it.

Vacmanuk, Venson:

You're referring to dyson's G Force sold briefly door-to-door in 1983 in the UK.  Displayed in the Design Museum.  From 1982-4, James Dyson tried to interest European firms in buyiong the design.  Notta.  Dyson was hell bent on making their bagged vacuums obsolete and killing the market in paper bags.  Nobody in Europe wanted anything to do with dyson for those reasons.  Dyson sold the rights in America in 1984.  After a year the buyer pulled out probably for the same reasons as the Europeans.  Dyson took the G force to Japan where it was acclaimed.  Progress was halted while dyson sued his former American licensee for patent infringement over a machine brought out after the breakup of their business relationship.  After this was settled, royalties from the US enabled dyson to set up a factory in Malmesbury in 1992.  Dyson began making refined designs under the dyson name there.  Led to the dual cyclone in 1993 in upright and canister form.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #53   Jul 31, 2010 2:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Vacmanuk, Venson:

You're referring to dyson's G Force sold briefly door-to-door in 1983 in the UK.  Displayed in the Design Museum.  From 1982-4, James Dyson tried to interest European firms in buyiong the design.  Notta.  Dyson was hell bent on making their bagged vacuums obsolete and killing the market in paper bags.  Nobody in Europe wanted anything to do with dyson for those reasons.  Dyson sold the rights in America in 1984.  After a year the buyer pulled out probably for the same reasons as the Europeans.  Dyson took the G force to Japan where it was acclaimed.  Progress was halted while dyson sued his former American licensee for patent infringement over a machine brought out after the breakup of their business relationship.  After this was settled, royalties from the US enabled dyson to set up a factory in Malmesbury in 1992.  Dyson began making refined designs under the dyson name there.  Led to the dual cyclone in 1993 in upright and canister form.

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine,

My history on these is not great.  What I recall is the heavy-duty TV advertising done here in the States for teh Fantom upright and the appearance of the Fantom canister. Can't verify chicken or egg in this case but I do remember the top-side hose attachment, etc., on the depicted European version being all too similar to the Fantom can that was sold here in America.

Venson

Replies: 44 - 53 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42