Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

VDTA 2010
Original Message   Jan 8, 2010 8:43 am
Tho a couple of months away, the VDTA is slotted for Vegas this year AND central vacuum systems, tho relatively new venue to the vacuum trade organization, are getting increased emphasis.

Carmine D.

Replies: 54 - 63 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: VDTA 2010
Reply #54   Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm
Actionvac wrote:
Using a basic Kirby flo meter the Miele pulls about 20 percent more airflo despit the 170 cu ft claim, I sell both, sorry I know this started as the vdta thread which I skipped this year

This was the worse year for VDTA attendance in the 3 years I've been here.  Not surprising. 

Carmine D.

PS: Correction 4 years.

This message was modified Aug 11, 2010 by CarmineD
Hertz

Reply #55   Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm
Actionvac wrote:
Using a basic Kirby flo meter the Miele pulls about 20 percent more airflo despit the 170 cu ft claim, I sell both, sorry I know this started as the vdta thread which I skipped this year

Very interesting. Would you say a Miele would outlcean a SEBO however? And how does a Dyson compare in terms of waterlift and Airflow? DC-14, to be exact?
vacomatic

Reply #56   Dec 2, 2010 12:45 am
Well, it appears the HYCLEAN bags Miele introduced recently fixed the problem with S5's and dust leakage. 
The S5 Capricorn I tried out yesterday had its HYCLEAN bag nearly full, but no dust on the HEPA filter and airflow remained remarkably good.

As for SEBO, I've not seen the D4 anywhere around Portland OR, but I've not ventured into the niche dealers yet (the larger chains do carry Miele in quantity).
Venson

Reply #57   Dec 3, 2010 2:42 am
vacomatic wrote:
Well, it appears the HYCLEAN bags Miele introduced recently fixed the problem with S5's and dust leakage. 
The S5 Capricorn I tried out yesterday had its HYCLEAN bag nearly full, but no dust on the HEPA filter and airflow remained remarkably good.

As for SEBO, I've not seen the D4 anywhere around Portland OR, but I've not ventured into the niche dealers yet (the larger chains do carry Miele in quantity).

Recently? Sorry, but I've had my Capricorn for at least over the two year mark and have always used the high-filtration "Hyclean" bags. If you've read any of my posts you'll have found me nearly raving about the bags ability for high dust capture.

Do't know if the standard still stands but Filter Queen's conical cellulose filters were the benchmark for that. I'd never seen a match until Miele's high-filtration bags. However, I think it's probably by matter of choice that many Miele users may buy the lesser bags Miele offers due to price. The high-filtration bags can run about $19.00 for a box of five.

The problem with high-end vacuums -- the ones that actually live up to their promises I mean -- is that you can't go "cheapie" on anything that keeps the unit operating optimally.

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #58   Dec 3, 2010 7:10 am
Venson wrote:
Recently? Sorry, but I've had my Capricorn for at least over the two year mark and have always used the high-filtration "Hyclean" bags. If you've read any of my posts you'll have found me nearly raving about the bags ability for high dust capture.

Do't know if the standard still stands but Filter Queen's conical cellulose filters were the benchmark for that. I'd never seen a match until Miele's high-filtration bags. However, I think it's probably by matter of choice that many Miele users may buy the lesser bags Miele offers due to price. The high-filtration bags can run about $19.00 for a box of five.

The problem with high-end vacuums -- the ones that actually live up to their promises I mean -- is that you can't go "cheapie" on anything that keeps the unit operating optimally.

Venson
Venson, to be fair this is an issue that has been ongoing - and ever since I and others on here have brought to attention the HyClean original bags that had dust leaking from the seal cap. This is because of the central ribbon section that pushed dirt to the top and the inner seal round bit would often snag, not closing up properly. The newer bags don't have the central section of ribbons built in but still have the same layers of filtration. I think this is what Vacomatic is referring to.

As for "the problem with high end vacuums," you can actually go "cheapie" if you know vacuums in general and their upkeep - to keep the unit operating manually.

For example, currently I no longer have a large "old style" Miele canister apart from my S381. I gave away my old S571 a couple of months ago to a lady who owns a little coffee shop and was forever going through a new vacuum cleaner every couple of months. We both agreed that suction, power and bagless disposal was not the best way to go and so I sold my Miele S571. She has already gone through 2 HyClean dust bags - however I managed to find a cheapy copy imitation product costing the same price as the standard box of 4 Hyclean bags for 15 copy imitation bags that have the older Miele "IntensiveClean," filtration. How did I find this out? I simply took one out and cut it up to see what it was made of. I can tell you now that whilst copy imitation bags are not recommended by any manufacturer, I was most surprised about the copy bags and have since bought a pack of 15 for myself - I don't see why I have to pay out for the genuine articles when picking up DIY work that can be safely disposed of in a high filtration copy bag compared to something that I'd keep IN the home rather than use in the garage.

The bags that my lady friend has also has an original genuine Active Air Clean filter fitted and it works well with the copy imitation bags fitted.

Now onto SEBO. The SEBO clip filter cartridge that has to be fitted on the base of the Felix/Dart bin can be quite expensive to buy. I've been using a cheapie imitation for well over a year and I can report that neither the motor or casing has been damaged using this copy imitation. I wouldn't dream of using copy bags because I have done in the past and found that the plastic seals on them tore away from the bag as the weight got progressively worse. The filter in question is fitted to my Dart commercial upright which I use whenever I'm called to clean homes. The Dart also has non-SEBO branded tools that fit and are far cheaper to replace than using the standard ones that could be retained for future use.
CarmineD

Reply #59   Dec 3, 2010 8:44 am
Venson wrote:

Venson

Hello Venson:

To force the matter, many if not all manufacturers will void warranties if other than genuine parts, like bags, belts and filters, are used for replacement.  So... based on this widely accepted industry practice, I agree with you on the statement of yours that I highlighted.  While some industry replacements as VacmanUK points out are excellent quality and match the makers' the problem is not all are.  Manufacturers can't trust all consumers to have the savvy that Vacmanuk has, so they disclaim all the parts that are not their own and genuine.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #60   Dec 3, 2010 9:13 am
vacmanuk wrote:

. . . As for "the problem with high end vacuums," you can actually go "cheapie" if you know vacuums in general and their upkeep - to keep the unit operating manually.

Hi vacmanuk,

There I both agree and disagree. How many out a hundred know a vacuum as well as you or I -- or are looking to?

For years we've had imitation filtering medium for Filter Queen and Electrolux -- two vacuums whose makers swear by specially designed dust collection systems and filtering medium for performance. I found neither an obvious match to the original.

Even if there were, I prefer caution and am reluctant to advise the average Joe or Josephine to shop around for substitutes as they usually go off retaining only half of what you've told them. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who daily arrive at stores looking for vacuum bags though barely knowing the brand name of their cleaner much less its model number. It's far better to let the like stick to the rules especially if they laid out a lot of jack on a "good" vacuum.

Venson
mole

Reply #61   Dec 3, 2010 9:20 am
Ha Ha Ha, Venson

My regular customers  are clueless on what machine they have.

It goes like this i got it at a yard sale it's green has a lot of suction and tools that we dont how to use.

vacmanuk

Reply #62   Dec 3, 2010 2:42 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

There I both agree and disagree. How many out a hundred know a vacuum as well as you or I -- or are looking to?

For years we've had imitation filtering medium for Filter Queen and Electrolux -- two vacuums whose makers swear by specially designed dust collection systems and filtering medium for performance. I found neither an obvious match to the original.

Even if there were, I prefer caution and am reluctant to advise the average Joe or Josephine to shop around for substitutes as they usually go off retaining only half of what you've told them. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who daily arrive at stores looking for vacuum bags though barely knowing the brand name of their cleaner much less its model number. It's far better to let the like stick to the rules especially if they laid out a lot of jack on a "good" vacuum.

Venson

As with most buyers though, Venson and a fair point that Mole raises here, most buyers don't know the model number or care to know more about the model they own. Whilst it's not entirely a same example, when looking for remote control batteries for TV, my LG manual cites "always buy Duracell," but I currently have heavy duty JVC ones in mine that do the same job and half the cost. I hear what you're saying about buying Genuine accessories and consumables though; there are quite a few imitation copy parts I've used that haven't faired so well, but you take a chance in the same way you take a chance with something inferior or cheaper at cost.
CarmineD

Reply #63   Dec 4, 2010 7:24 am
vacmanuk wrote:
As with most buyers though, Venson and a fair point that Mole raises here, most buyers don't know the model number or care to know more about the model they own. Whilst it's not entirely a same example, when looking for remote control batteries for TV, my LG manual cites "always buy Duracell," but I currently have heavy duty JVC ones in mine that do the same job and half the cost. I hear what you're saying about buying Genuine accessories and consumables though; there are quite a few imitation copy parts I've used that haven't faired so well, but you take a chance in the same way you take a chance with something inferior or cheaper at cost.

Sometimes manufacturers recommend other brand products to be used in concert with their own.  Usually stemming from a business venture or relationship that they may have in common.  Or management execs who worked at both and keep the professional ties binding.

Carmine D.

Replies: 54 - 63 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42