Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run
Original Message   Dec 10, 2009 7:58 am
Dyson opens its first pop-up shop today, created by the product company’s in-house team. If Dyson deems the venture a success, it will consider opening a permanent store.

http://www.designweek.co.uk/dyson-opens-bluewater-pop-up-store/3007793.article

This message was modified Dec 10, 2009 by M00seUK
Replies: 58 - 67 of 94Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Dyson's first retail store opens as part of a trial run
Reply #58   Dec 18, 2009 8:09 pm
MOLE: the reason they won't use a circuit breaker is for two reasons; in theory a toothed belt should last longer and if it doesn't then secondly it means a cost way of charging the Dyson owner if the model is out of warranty.
Venson

Reply #59   Dec 18, 2009 8:49 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
MOLE: the reason they won't use a circuit breaker is for two reasons; in theory a toothed belt should last longer and if it doesn't then secondly it means a cost way of charging the Dyson owner if the model is out of warranty.

Hi vacmanuk,

I think in this case if a brushroll driven with a toothed belt stalls due to some obstruction there is a strong possibility of burning out its drive motor if there is no circuit breaker to turn off the drive motor. The resulting damage is much more costly than just a belt replacement.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #60   Dec 19, 2009 6:53 am
mole wrote:

Carmine  sorry it took a while to reply to your question. The dc07/14 has held up on par with machines of  the same build quality such as panasonic,bissell, dirt devil,some hoover machines, bottom end sanitaires etc. All in all the dyson is sealed up very well it will take a few more years to see how much fatigue under normal use the housings can take, the plastic [brittle problem] looks to be corrected. Their biggest headache is still in the brushroll, bearing department. A true circuit breaker set up in the dc17 would of been a big plus, but for some reason they just wont go all the way in making the machine user friendly, I mean why use a geared tooth belt and no true circuit breaker.For the price of the breakers its cheap insurance and makes for a happier customer.

MOLE

Thanks MOLE.  Based on the pattern of discontinuance of ALL previous dyson upright models, service considerations are not in the dyson repertoire.  DC17 and DC27 are going the way of DC07 and DC14.  Gone.  Like the DC18 and on and on.  It's about new product sales and scrub repairs.  Lucky 1 made this observation here recently.  I agree with him.  That's the reason in large part dyson never warmed up to indies with its products and went the big box route right out of the gate here in the USA.  And also the emphasis on non-vacuum products of late. 

BTW, as you know the use of circuit breakers, fail safe switches etc, are features of better made and sold vacuum products.   

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #61   Dec 20, 2009 2:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks MOLE.  Based on the pattern of discontinuance of ALL previous dyson upright models, service considerations are not in the dyson repertoire.  DC17 and DC27 are going the way of DC07 and DC14.  Gone.  Like the DC18 and on and on.  It's about new product sales and scrub repairs.  Lucky 1 made this observation here recently.  I agree with him.  That's the reason in large part dyson never warmed up to indies with its products and went the big box route right out of the gate here in the USA.  And also the emphasis on non-vacuum products of late. 

BTW, as you know the use of circuit breakers, fail safe switches etc, are features of better made and sold vacuum products.   

Carmine D.

You're full of crap.  You need your own shop.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Dec 20, 2009 2:41 pm
DiB-ster:

Been there done that:  Owned and operated my own vacuum cleaner sales and service store.  For 42 plus years.  How about you?

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #63   Dec 20, 2009 7:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DiB-ster:

Been there done that:  Owned and operated my own vacuum cleaner sales and service store.  For 42 plus years.  How about you?

Carmine D.

Forty two years buys you what?  The right to lie of good product and good men?  As a dog returns to it vomit...  you keep lying, as do many in your small niche industry.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Dec 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #64   Dec 20, 2009 10:48 pm
Carmine wrote:

DysonInventsBig (aka Dustmite) wrote:

You're full of crap.  You need your own shop.

Dustmite,

Are you saying that you don't have a problem with a $400-$600 vacuum leaving out features like circuit breakers to protect the motor?  To me it's a sign that Dyson is not doing their homework.   These aren't state of the art features being left out.  These are features that have been around for a very long time, and for good reason.  

Tom Gasko once said that Dyson really needed to hire a vacuum historian so that they would avoid making stupid design mistakes (I'm paraphrasing, he was a little more diplomatic).   It sounds like Tom was right on the money. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #65   Dec 21, 2009 6:50 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Forty two years buys you what?  The right to lie of good product and good men?  As a dog returns to it vomit...  you keep lying, as do many in your small niche industry.

Dyson Invents Big

DiB-ster:

Vacuums were a vocation for me for over 42 years, not a job.  How about you?  No need to lie.  The products, the men who make/sell speak for themselves.  I'm not saying I'm better than anyone in the vacuum world.  I'm saying I discovered the truth about the vacuum industry after 55 plus years of experience and don't buy into marketing propaganda and shill speak.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #66   Dec 21, 2009 6:55 am
Severus wrote:

Dustmite,

Are you saying that you don't have a problem with a $400-$600 vacuum leaving out features like circuit breakers to protect the motor?  To me it's a sign that Dyson is not doing their homework.   These aren't state of the art features being left out.  These are features that have been around for a very long time, and for good reason.  

Tom Gasko once said that Dyson really needed to hire a vacuum historian so that they would avoid making stupid design mistakes (I'm paraphrasing, he was a little more diplomatic).   It sounds like Tom was right on the money. 

Agree, SEVERUS, better made/sold vacuums at the same price/less dyson vacuums have these inexpensive and simple features.  For the good of the product and the customers. 

I also agree with Tom Gasko.  Dyson lacks the historical knowledge of the vacuum industry needed to prevent making the same mistakes and misques as those who went before.  

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #67   Dec 21, 2009 8:53 am
Dib, I can understand your enthusiasm about your employer, but facts are facts take a dc17 and stall the brush rollor suck up a sock or rag into it. Please report back with your findings. Unfortuneatly in real world applications this happens a lot and damage does occur.

B.T.W how are the canister sales going? have not heard too much fanfare about them anywhere.

Carmine and Severus are right Dysons overpriced,mediocre performance, not user friendly,service centers are not there, With all the millions that Sir James has made you think its time to give back a little????????

MOLE

Replies: 58 - 67 of 94Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42