Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson DC24 issue

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

New Dyson DC24 issue
Original Message   Nov 29, 2009 12:02 pm
Hi,

Today I bought a Dyson DC24 as I haven't bothered to repair my DC04 as the DC04 burnt out after 7 years.

The DC24 got problems with the cleaning head not staying put when the machine is lifted.  This is clearly a manufacturing fault and its poor that Dyson quality control has missed this.  Even when I properly engage the machine in upright position and lifted the machine the head would stay for a few seconds and then fall .

I took the machine back to the shop and the retailer was refusing to give me a refund!!  I did not accept this and asked for the manager,  anyway, they gave me back my £243. I was not too happy.

After usuing the machine in my home,  I can say that I really like how light it is.  The only thing is that the power cord is very short, the cleaning hose is too short to do proper stair cleaning, but then one can put the machine on the stair case or hole it in the other hand to use the wand and hose.  The suction is pretty good for a small 650w machine, but the suction is not enough to spin the car Dyson turbine head I have,  I guess I would have to use the DC05 for car cleaning.

The DC24 cleaned my carpets well, just shame about the slight problem with the head.  I may considering buying one again next year.  For the meantime, I will use the DC05 which is adequate with turbobrush head.

Regards

Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bucks03

Re: New Dyson DC24 issue
Reply #16   Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm
Carmine,

The only thing that may annoy you is the short cord and the short hose and realistically you can only reach 4 steps before you have to lift up the machine.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Dec 16, 2009 1:25 pm
bucks03 wrote:
Carmine,

The only thing that may annoy you is the short cord and the short hose and realistically you can only reach 4 steps before you have to lift up the machine.

Hello BUCKS03:

Not a problem.  We have a ranch style home.  We're use to the short cord on the ORECK and HOOVER TEMPO.  My biggest concern is the ball and my ceramic tile floors.  The ORECK and TEMPO are ideal in the upright mode for the tile floors.  I suspect dyson's DC24 ball will not be and force me into the attachment mode for floor cleaning.  A nuisance for me with almost 80 percent of the house with tile flooring.  We did this for the old dog [ranch style and floors].  She had epilepsy brought on by synthetic rugs.  One of the reasons we put wool carpets in the 3 bedrooms.  She went to puppy heaven and we still have the ceramic tile floors to deal with.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 16, 2009 by CarmineD
bucks03

Reply #18   Dec 16, 2009 3:42 pm
Hi Carmine, what is it that concerns you? Are you worried the ball itself will damage the floor or the brush head? The house I'm in has carpets and linoleum mixed (don't ask why lino, it's not my house). The DC04 suction was too powerful and the machine was a nightmare to push and after a few years the machine cracked and I had to replace the 'shell' of the machine The DC24 despite being small sucks pretty hard on lino but it is better designed so it won't break with the force, I hope! Lol CarmineD wrote:
Hello BUCKS03:

Not a problem.  We have a ranch style home.  We're use to the short cord on the ORECK and HOOVER TEMPO.  My biggest concern is the ball and my ceramic tile floors.  The ORECK and TEMPO are ideal in the upright mode for the tile floors.  I suspect dyson's DC24 ball will not be and force me into the attachment mode for floor cleaning.  A nuisance for me with almost 80 percent of the house with tile flooring.  We did this for the old dog [ranch style and floors].  She had epilepsy brought on by synthetic rugs.  One of the reasons we put wool carpets in the 3 bedrooms.  She went to puppy heaven and we still have the ceramic tile floors to deal with.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Dec 17, 2009 6:45 am
bucks03 wrote:
Hi Carmine, what is it that concerns you? Are you worried the ball itself will damage the floor or the brush head? The house I'm in has carpets and linoleum mixed (don't ask why lino, it's not my house). The DC04 suction was too powerful and the machine was a nightmare to push and after a few years the machine cracked and I had to replace the 'shell' of the machine The DC24 despite being small sucks pretty hard on lino but it is better designed so it won't break with the force, I hope! Lol

Hello BUCKS03:

My concern is more the ceramic flooring and grout grooves will devastate the plastic ball and all the inside ball workings in short order.  If I had 80 percent carpet and 20 percent ceramic tile, it would not be a concern.  But 80 percent is alot of ceramic tile and grooves if I have to use attachments to do the floor cleaning.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #20   Dec 17, 2009 12:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello BUCKS03:

My concern is more the ceramic flooring and grout grooves will devastate the plastic ball and all the inside ball workings in short order.  If I had 80 percent carpet and 20 percent ceramic tile, it would not be a concern.  But 80 percent is alot of ceramic tile and grooves if I have to use attachments to do the floor cleaning.

Carmine D.

Cameron,

This vacuum will indeed suck better than any full sized sack canister or upright that’s choking, but it’s nozzle will never out perform a hard surface floor tool...Ever!...And you know it or should know it.  Uprights of any sort are not the better choice for 80% tiled w/ lots of grout joints (conditions).  To buy this ‘out-steers all upright competitors’ phenomenon and expect it to ‘flick,’ ‘trap’ and ‘put dust and debris into the airflow’ better than a floor tool is a professional blunder.  Although it’s a conversation [thread] starter.

Dyson Invents Big

P.S.  Why not do some research yourself and take advantage of Googles billion pages plus indexing and determine if this or any other Dyson vacuum implodes while being used on tiled floors. 

CarmineD

Reply #21   Dec 17, 2009 12:11 pm
DiB-ster wrote:
Cameron,

This vacuum will indeed suck better than any full sized sack canister or upright that’s choking, but it’s nozzle will never out perform a hard surface floor tool...Ever!...And you know it or should know it.  Uprights of any sort are not the better choice for 80% tiled w/ lots of grout joints (conditions).  To buy this ‘out-steers all upright competitors’ phenomenon and expect it to ‘flick,’ ‘trap’ and ‘put dust and debris into the airflow’ better than a floor tool is a professional blunder.  Although it’s a conversation [thread] starter.

Dyson Invents Big

P.S.  Why not do some research yourself and take advantage of Googles billion pages plus indexing and determine if this or any other Dyson vacuum implodes while being used on tiled floors. 

Thanks for your unsolicited dyson propaganda.  But it's not needed from you, it's not wanted from you, and certainly I can't ever follow if from you.  DiB-ster, the day I have to take/follow your vacuum advice, I'll roll myself up in a big ball and die.  And according to the Doc I still have a few more good rounds left in me.

BTW, FWIW I'm using 2 uprights now for exactly what you say I can't: ORECK and HOOVER TEMPO, on my ceramic tile floors and neither has a brush shut off for floor cleaning, like the DC24. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #22   Dec 17, 2009 12:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks for your unsolicited dyson propaganda.  But it's not needed from you, it's not wanted from you, and certainly I can't ever follow if from you.  DiB-ster, the day I have to take/follow your vacuum advice, I'll roll myself up in a big ball and die.  And according to the Doc I still have a few more good rounds left in me.

BTW, FWIW I'm using 2 uprights now for exactly what you say I can't: ORECK and HOOVER TEMPO, on my ceramic tile floors and neither has a brush shut off for floor cleaning, like the DC24. 

Carmine D.

Is it Christmas already?  You keep gift wrapping these conversations.

I'll back off (for a while),
Dyson Invents Big

HARDSELL

Reply #23   Dec 17, 2009 2:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

I use the Hoover and Kirby on all floor surfaces.  They clean hard surfaces as good as the Rainbow or the Platinum canister. The Royal's front exhaust blows too strongly for use on hard surfaces.  I personally do not want a an upright that is not suitable for all surfaces.  A good upright will perform as well as a can.
bucks03

Reply #24   Dec 17, 2009 4:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello BUCKS03:

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Maybe you are better off purchasing this machine and seeing if it is up for the job for your home.  That was I orginally did and took the machine back.  I hear the USA are much better when it comes to takeing things back, here in the UK I have to say that most of the time when I take a product back, I have had issues a couple of times, like the last store, refusing to give me back my £243 saying that Dyson has some policy (Dyson doesn't)  They don't even print on their products like Vax do: Do not take back to the shop, call the Vax Helpline.  Dyson does not do this and I called Dyson and they said I was within my 14 day right to get my money back.  Anyway I did get my money back as I had to kick up a fuss (I really hate doing that)

I was able to purchase the DC24 a lot cheaper from Amazon UK.  Its always best to be able to try out a product in your own home, then you will know how it performs and if you like the way it works, sounds etc .

CarmineD

Reply #25   Dec 18, 2009 6:57 am
Thanks Bucks03:

Returning purchases, unless defective, is not in my blood.  Tho you're right about dyson and returns.  Dyson does recommend to helpline callers to return to retailer for full refund/credit if not performing.

I suspect dyson's DC24 will work fine out of the box.  My issue is with the ball apparatus/inner workings over time.  What are the adverse effects of the vibrations, rocking and rolling over time from operating over the grooved ceramic tile flooring.  Intuitively, the ball function does not appear a viable option for floor cleaning especially ceramic tile.  A wheeled upright like ORECK, HOOVER TEMPO, etc. is much better suited.  Probably the same is true for rug use tho less so intuitively and practically than with floors.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42